PDA

View Full Version : St1300 Tyres?

DougieNZ
7th September 2009, 09:06
Hi All,

I have tried a few tyres on the ST now...

Found the original Bridgestones to wear a little quickly
Storm ST's have become my tyre of choice recently, but they are pricey and availability can be an issue (even for back tyres - which are a relatively normal size - compared to the 18" fronts).

Has anyone else got preferences. I have tried a Conti Road Attack on the front (ST not available) and it seems to be performing OK..

Any suggestions appreiciated

kave
7th September 2009, 13:15
Next tire change I am thinking about trying some Pirelli Angels as I have heard good things about them.

nadroj
7th September 2009, 13:26
I'm currently running Z6's & just replaced the rear for the same again. No probs but some say I'm a nana.....

STJim
7th September 2009, 17:41
Having just acquired an ST I am interesed in your comments . Boyd's in Hamilton who used to be the Honda Dealer reciomended Pilot Road 2's Bridgestones or Conti Road Attacks
Pilots worked out the best price. I will have those fitted front and rear in the next month or so.
I would have tried Pirelli Angels but can't get a front tyre

Hitcher
7th September 2009, 17:56
Avon Storms, Dougie! For your second choice go with the Dunlop Roadsmarts.

Nothing else will give you both performance and longevity.

Hitcher
7th September 2009, 17:57

One of the many reasons you should get an FJR1300.

KoroJ
7th September 2009, 18:45
I'm currently running Z6's & just replaced the rear for the same again. No probs but some say I'm a nana.....

That's Nana's nana!

........ Boyd's in Hamilton who used to be the Honda Dealer reciomended Pilot Road 2's Bridgestones ro Conti Road Attacks............

I've tried both and the Conti (on the back) was fantastic for 4500kms then crap until toatally rooted by 9000Kms. Pilot Road 2's were marginal and the back often twitched, even on dry paint.

Single compound Pilot Roads were superior for wear and grip to the PR2's.

I have a Z6 on the front ant the moment because I couldn't get a Storm at the time and I have found virtually no difference but Storms are still my preference. Kennif on the other hand used Z6's front and rear and they squared off badly.

I believe the ST is too heavy for dual compound tyres (especially if you tour loaded and with a pillion) and will never use them again by choice.

Avon Storms, Dougie! For your second choice go with the Dunlop Roadsmarts.

Nothing else will give you both performance and longevity.

Agreed!!

One of the many reasons you should get an FJR1300.

Said the Shiverator!

banditrider
7th September 2009, 21:02
Having just acquired an ST I am interesed in your comments . Boyd's in Hamilton who used to be the Honda Dealer reciomended Pilot Road 2's Bridgestones ro Conti Road Attacks
Pilots worked out the best price. I will have those fitted front and rear in the next month or so.

Had bridgestones standard on the Connie (280kg) and they were crap - feel and wear. Pirelli Stradas were ok but lasted about 10,500km max.

PR2's rock! Currently on 10,000+km and still at least 2,000km to go (need to wear them out pretty quickly so I can put on a fresh set for the GC). The best tyre life I've had so far and outstanding grip. They gave the Connie a front end and have worn very evenly over the entire width of the tyre.

I was planning to run some Z6's at some stage as I like Metzlers but as I've run them on my Bandits and not got the sort of mileage I have from the PR2's then I seriously doubt they'll be as good as the PR2's.

Michelin convert!

DougieNZ
10th September 2009, 10:21
Thanks so much everyone for taking the time to reply to this thread.

Interesting comments about the PR2's. Just shows that tyres are an individual choice!

I have gone with the Conti Road Attack to match the front and it will be interesting to see how it goes...

I must say, though, that it will have to go well to beat the Avons. I always found (on my CBR1000) that the Z6 was a great tyre but wore quite square... but then all tyres do that to an extent I guess?

10,000km out of the last 2 rear tyres. The only fault is that i have punctured the last 2 on gravel when the tread is getting low - but that may happen to all tyres, anmd they were both pretty close to needing replacement anyway.

Certainly agree that the Bridgestones were not up to scratch.

I wonder who the NZ distributor for Avon Tyres is? I may be able to get a better deal by getting them direct from source...

vifferman
10th September 2009, 10:38
I must say, though, that it will have to go well to beat the Avons. I always found (on my CBR1000) that the Z6 was a great tyre but wore quite square... but then all tyres do that to an extent I guess?
The Storms on my VFR haven't worn square, although the front one did develop a distinct change in profile towards the edge of the most-used part of the tread.
Interestingly (or perhaps not), the front needed to be replaced recently, while the rear is still good. First time that's happened to me. I asked about fitting a Viper so it would be toasted about the same time as the rear eventually needed replacing, and he reckoned it would be worse for the riding I do, as it wouldn't get enough heat into the carcase. FairyNuff - I'm very happy with the Storms anyway, to the point where I'm loath to try the much-vaunted Pilot Powers in case they're not as much fun or don't wear as well.

Hitcher
10th September 2009, 17:40
I have gone with the Conti Road Attack to match the front and it will be interesting to see how it goes...

Good luck with that Dougie. It will be interesting to see whether your experience is any different to KoroJ's and mine with Road Attacks on an ST.

sinned
10th September 2009, 19:14
Here is a site with tyre test results. http://www.tyretest.com/motorradreifen/index.html

It is debatable how much use the results are. The Storm rates a little higher than the Bridgestone BT-015 running on the Busa. The tyres have done 6500kms and the front is barely half worn and has maintained profile. The rear has squared a bit and wear is near to the wear markers. I expect it to do 8000kms. The Avon Storm on Speed Triple square off too early - other than that the tyre was good and stuck well.

I will probably replace the rear with another BT-015 and consider testing the Storm when both front and rear need replacement.