PDA

View Full Version : Just bought my first cage

SpankMe
7th September 2009, 15:12
Yeah, I know I'm talking about cages on my nice biker site which is something I usually frown upon, but I'm invoking site owners privilege.

I think my girlie was getting a little tired of riding on the back of the gixxer with a backpack full on groceries (thou she never complained) so I've brought her a shopping cart on wheels.

I know nothing (and I do mean nothing) about cages, so I let her pick the cage she wanted. So any advice about maintenance, what needs replacing/when and where's the best place to go to get it done would be appreciated. And anything else I should know about owning a cage.

No, I will not be driving it, it's just for Gif to drive.

slofox
7th September 2009, 15:17
So any advice about maintenance, what needs replacing/when and where's the best place to go to get it done would be appreciated.

Take it to the shop....

After years of doing my own maintenance, I decided, once I could no longer even find the spark plugs, that dem dadblamed newfangled cages were too complicated nowadays and best left to them wot knows about them....

crazyhorse
7th September 2009, 15:18
What a true gentleman :hug:

p.dath
7th September 2009, 15:35
Take it to the shop....

After years of doing my own maintenance, I decided, once I could no longer even find the spark plugs, that dem dadblamed newfangled cages were too complicated nowadays and best left to them wot knows about them....

+1. A lot of modern cars have an onboard engine management computer. Unless you have the $10k diag machine that plugs into it then your limited by what you can do.,

Quasievil
7th September 2009, 15:38
Get her a one piece for the car, she will need it

SpankMe
7th September 2009, 15:40
Get her a one piece for the car, she will need it

A one piece what? :confused:

NighthawkNZ
7th September 2009, 15:40
Yeah, I know I'm talking about cages on my nice biker site which is something I usually frown upon, but I'm invoking site owners privilege.

SAD... I proud to say, I don't drive a cage or own one... I leave that to the better half... means if we go out I can get pissed... ;)

SMOKEU
7th September 2009, 15:45
Slam it on kutties

marty
7th September 2009, 17:02
Great little car the Echo/Vitz/Yaris. The 1300cc engine loves to rev, and will happily cruise along at 140km/h using around 6l/100km. Not sure about the 1.0l one though.

Chain driven cam so no belt issues. All it will ever need is oil and filter.

I had a 1999 Echo - changed all the suspension bushes for Nolathane ones, ran decent tyres - it was a great machine in the twisties.

One thing spank - get some always-on driving lights - I'm pretty sure there's a place for them in the front bumper/skirt. silver cars are a bitch to see in flat light.

Sidewinder
7th September 2009, 17:05
best thing for it is to send it to the dump!

Laava
7th September 2009, 17:30
. So any advice about maintenance, what needs replacing/when and where's the best place to go to get it done would be appreciated. .

It's a Toyota, change the oil every 10,000 and filter every 20,000 and when you are too old to drive you can sell it to the grandkids for 3x new price

YellowDog
7th September 2009, 17:43
Take it to the shop....

Exactly!

A modern engine is a work art with special keys to open and reset management components.

Best left well alone!

FROSTY
7th September 2009, 17:48
for a starter I hope ya diddn't pay that kinda money for it --thats 3k over its value

scumdog
7th September 2009, 17:51
Waaay too flash and new for my doris..;)

sinfull
7th September 2009, 18:00
Oil change same times as ya bike, coolant flush same time as ya bike, brakes checked at warrant time so same time as ya bike ! Same shit different bucket ! If shit happens, it will prolly need pluggin in, but looking at it ya shouldn't have a problem for years !
Just keep track of oil & water levels for her, or you will regret it, same as her bike !
Edit : auto ! If there aint no record of when it was serviced, get it done and suss with the manual how often ! lots of folk (everyone) neglect the auto !

SpankMe
7th September 2009, 18:27
for a starter I hope ya diddn't pay that kinda money for it --thats 3k over its value

I got it for 15k and it's only done 25,000kms and has a few extras put on by previous owner like a car alarm.

The interesting thing was trying to get insurance for Gif who is on an international drivers license.

AMI wanted her Thai insurance records (which she has none) so they would add $500 onto the yearly insurance cost.
State refused to give her insurance.
AA said she was technically a tourist so wanted $3000 :gob:
So I've gone with Toyota Vehicle Insurance for $1141.

FROSTY
7th September 2009, 18:50
but seriously dude. with one of those things I'd honestly say just give it a birthday right off the bat.
Fuel filter,plugs,oil n filter,air filter and trans flush (auto Im picking). Then -(And I KNOW this sounds nuts.) Put a new decent battery in it.Then just forget the servicing for 10000-15000km when its just Oil N filter every 15000 for about another 5 years or so.
Bring it to me if ya like and Ill organise my guy to do it all for ya

XxKiTtiExX
7th September 2009, 18:57
Next comes babies..... ;)

crazyhorse
7th September 2009, 19:09
Well, me being a chick, I'd read the instruction book. I always take my car for annual R&M checks. Leave up to the boys to decide if anything needs doing to it. But I did just give my bike a oil change and did the spark plugs myself - so i'm learning! :woohoo:

pzkpfw
7th September 2009, 21:07
Just this weekend was test-driving cars with the Wife who needs a shopping basket/commuter/get her to dance class car.

Didn't much like the Yaris. Was gonna get a sore neck/eyes glancing over at the speedo every two seconds. Not that I plan to drive it much.

She ended up really liking the Suzuki Swift, but bloody wants the flashy one with fancy wheels and extra plastic trims. ("Euro" version of the LTD.)

(Still to test drive a Mazda 2 and it's Ford badged relatives).

----

Pay someone to service it. Not worth the time or hassle. A car like that is a consumer appliance.

Get full insurance.

Edbear
8th September 2009, 09:43
It's a Toyota, change the oil every 10,000 and filter every 20,000 and when you are too old to drive you can sell it to the grandkids for 3x new price

Pretty much the story. It's gonna be boringly reliable and never break down. She'll be able to hop in and go anywhere anytime even if she decides to cruise down to Bluff for an oyster.

It will be cheap on fuel, tyres, brake-pads and everything else.

She'll probably name it and love it forever.

SpankMe
8th September 2009, 10:27
but seriously dude. with one of those things I'd honestly say just give it a birthday right off the bat.
Fuel filter,plugs,oil n filter,air filter and trans flush (auto Im picking). Then -(And I KNOW this sounds nuts.) Put a new decent battery in it.Then just forget the servicing for 10000-15000km when its just Oil N filter every 15000 for about another 5 years or so.
Bring it to me if ya like and Ill organise my guy to do it all for ya

Sweet FROSTY. I might give ya a call. The Toyota yard said they had done a full service on it, but I'll get the details of what they've actually done/replaced.

p.dath
8th September 2009, 11:03
The interesting thing was trying to get insurance for Gif who is on an international drivers license.

Don't forget those permits only last 12 months.

FROSTY
8th September 2009, 12:22
Sweet FROSTY. I might give ya a call. The Toyota yard said they had done a full service on it, but I'll get the details of what they've actually done/replaced.
No worries mate.

SpankMe
8th September 2009, 13:04
One thing spank - get some always-on driving lights - I'm pretty sure there's a place for them in the front bumper/skirt. silver cars are a bitch to see in flat light.

Gif did day she wanted those. I assume it's something that's available after market. Any idea where in Auckland I can get stuff like that?

Slyer
8th September 2009, 13:32
They are a nice car but I CANNOT understand why they put the instrument cluster in the middle of the dash. It's infuriatingly bad design.

marty
8th September 2009, 13:33
actually, having done 50000kms in one (an Echo), it's not really a problem. Works for the Mini too.

merv
8th September 2009, 13:48
Its a Toyota Spank, should be no worries.

ready4whatever
8th September 2009, 13:58
Oil, oil filter and plugs every 10,000 km. fuel filter every 40,000 km. check air filter every now and then. cambelt every 100,000 km. I let mine warm up before driving.
It is a Toyota so it'll keep on going. which is more than I can say for my Mazda

slofox
8th September 2009, 14:23
She ended up really liking the Suzuki Swift, but bloody wants the flashy one with fancy wheels and extra plastic trims. ("Euro" version of the LTD.)

DON'T GET HER ONE!!!! Those cars turn women into girl racers....much worse than boy racers...round here anyway...

SMOKEU
8th September 2009, 14:30
Oil, oil filter and plugs every 10,000 km. fuel filter every 40,000 km. check air filter every now and then. cambelt every 100,000 km. I let mine warm up before driving.
It is a Toyota so it'll keep on going. which is more than I can say for my Mazda

Plugs should last a lot longer than 10,000km.

FROSTY
8th September 2009, 14:30
Just this weekend was test-driving cars with the Wife who needs a shopping basket/commuter/get her to dance class car.

Didn't much like the Yaris. Was gonna get a sore neck/eyes glancing over at the speedo every two seconds. Not that I plan to drive it much.

(Still to test drive a Mazda 2 and it's Ford badged relatives).

----

Pay someone to service it. Not worth the time or hassle. A car like that is a consumer appliance.

Get full insurance.
Dude I'd suggest a Micra/march. REALLY reliable but not overputerised. Servicing is the same as ye old sentra/pulsar. Best still if its a shopping cart then bang for buck they are fantastic. 10 or 11k for an 05

FROSTY
8th September 2009, 14:33
plugs every 10,000 km.-They are fitted with 100k plugs factory
fuel filter every 40,000 km. check air filter every now and then.---YEP
-cambelt every 100,000 km.--er mate they dont have a cambelt
eeep sorry mon

Slyer
8th September 2009, 14:45
Dude I'd suggest a Micra/march. REALLY reliable but not overputerised. Servicing is the same as ye old sentra/pulsar. Best still if its a shopping cart then bang for buck they are fantastic. 10 or 11k for an 05
What do you think about Suzuki Swifts Frosty?
Was thinking of getting one myself eventually, the sport model in manual obviously. ;)

SMOKEU
8th September 2009, 14:55
If you want a hatch then buy a GTI-R. It's basically a shopping trolley on P.

FROSTY
8th September 2009, 15:00
Was thinking of getting one myself eventually, the sport model in manual obviously. ;)
They are fantastic. But its scarey that suzuki NZ have run out of stock of bonnets/front bumpers TWICE in the last 6 months--Ie then bust relatively easilly.
For me they are still too much "flavour of the month" kinda pushed aside by the brooom broom of the mazda 3 in the sex apeal to the 20 somethings.They are still drug money in japan.
My prediction is a bit of a bomb price wise in the next 12 months

slofox
8th September 2009, 15:08
But its scarey that suzuki NZ have run out of stock of bonnets/front bumpers TWICE in the last 6 months..

Given how they are driven round here I'm hardly surprised...

Slyer
8th September 2009, 15:16
Yeah, if I had the money. ;)

The Mazda 3's are nice, but I would like a shorter car and lower displacement than my current Toyota Celica. Easier for praking, much better turning circle.
Swift is 3,760mm, Mazda 3 is 4,460. Also having 2 door is getting a bit old.
The main reason I'd get a new car is I don't feel safe spending money on a car with a fair bit over 200,000k's :pinch:

ready4whatever
8th September 2009, 15:16
Those sport swifts go pretty hard I've heard aye? is that the 2 door rally car one. or is that a different suzuki

ready4whatever
8th September 2009, 15:19

I had a 1997 wrx hatchback. they have tie downs in the boot to keep everything stable when pulling the G's :2thumbsup

Slyer
8th September 2009, 15:40
Those sport swifts go pretty hard I've heard aye? is that the 2 door rally car one. or is that a different suzuki
Yeah man. ;)
http://www.suzukisport-racing.com/english/sales/zc31s/list/index.html

pzkpfw
8th September 2009, 15:53
The Mazda 3's are nice, but I would like a shorter car and lower displacement than my current Toyota Celica. Easier for praking, much better turning circle.
Swift is 3,760mm, Mazda 3 is 4,460. Also having 2 door is getting a bit old.
The main reason I'd get a new car is I don't feel safe spending money on a car with a fair bit over 200,000k's :pinch:

There's a Mazda 2 as well.

Overall Length 3,885 mm
Overall Width 1,695 mm
Overall Height 1,475 mm
Curb-to-Curb Turning Circle 4.9 m

(Some of the other small cars have turning circles more like 4.7 m)

Slyer
8th September 2009, 16:03
Oh yeah I forgot about Mazda 2, nice cars as well.
Will certainly come into consideration. ;)
4.9 is incredible...

SMOKEU
8th September 2009, 16:17
I had a 1997 wrx hatchback. they have tie downs in the boot to keep everything stable when pulling the G's :2thumbsup

Those WRXs go hard ay. Was yours a JDM?

Swoop
8th September 2009, 16:34
Talking to a local dealer. The front bumper is pretty expensive and insurers can write off a car quite easily, based on the cost of this.

They certainly look nice and appeal as a "hot hatch" though.

Slyer
8th September 2009, 18:57
Don't plan on crashing, so yeah.

Jez
8th September 2009, 19:08
Gif did day she wanted those. I assume it's something that's available after market. Any idea where in Auckland I can get stuff like that?

I got a 2000 Toyota Camry and I just leave the lights on all the time, same as my bike, the headlights turn themselves off when you get out of the car after turning the engine off ... not 100% sure if the Yaris has that feature, but would save you a couple of dollars if it does.

ready4whatever
8th September 2009, 19:13
Those WRXs go hard ay. Was yours a JDM?

Yip japo market one. had all the go fast bits. but i into bikes and forgotton about cars now. With me I've got to have one main hobby and spend my money on it, i cant have two its weird :confused: .Might get into rally driving one day though

PirateJafa
8th September 2009, 19:16
Harden the fuck up Slyer, ya bitch.

Join me and get a fuckin' Mini. :niceone:

Trouser
8th September 2009, 19:55
They are a nice car but I CANNOT understand why they put the instrument cluster in the middle of the dash. It's infuriatingly bad design.

Cheaper to manufacture one generic dash assembly for l/h and r/h drive markets. All they do is change the angle on the display. Cheap is the name of the game.

Slyer
9th September 2009, 09:31
Harden the fuck up Slyer, ya bitch.

Join me and get a fuckin' Mini. :niceone:
Oh, and here was me thinking I would get a car that WASN'T SHIT.
Seriously... minis... :bleh:

SpankMe
12th September 2009, 14:37
Then -(And I KNOW this sounds nuts.) Put a new decent battery in it.

The day after we picked it up it wouldn't start. Toyota sent round a mechanic and found that the battery was dead, and replaced it. :rolleyes:

Found a guy in Christchurch who deals in after market parts for the Yaris. He's coming up next month to install them for me. :niceone:

FROSTY
12th September 2009, 15:45
The day after we picked it up it wouldn't start. Toyota sent round a mechanic and found that the battery was dead, and replaced it. :rolleyes:
What can I say cept I told you so

SpankMe
13th September 2009, 10:16
Is it normal to have only one reverse tail light? It's on the left tail light and the light in the same position on the right is red and is a fog light.

Slyer
13th September 2009, 19:17
Is it normal to have only one reverse tail light? It's on the left tail light and the light in the same position on the right is red and is a fog light.
Yup very normal.

skidMark
13th September 2009, 19:41
Servicing? i just thrash my cages, if it blows up motors are 120 bucks at pick a part, speaking of which my gearbox is FARKED... and my clutch... and i think its last oil change was about 30,000 k's ago lol, ive put about 8,000 k on it in 3 months, and i havn't killed it yet

good choice buying a toyota spank, motors are indestructable...

mine has 225,000k's on it and all ive had to do is change the waterpump

SpankMe
14th September 2009, 11:18
No, I will not be driving it, it's just for Gif to drive.

Well that didn't last long. Gif is an overly cautious driver who slows down to half her speed to go around any corner and always takes about 3-4 attempts to park straight. That and me having to give her constant directions since she doesn't know Auckland. I decided I couldn't take it anymore so I drove a car for the first time last night. It took me all of 2 minutes to get the hang of it before going off for a 2 hour drive around Auckland at night.

What I would like to know is, why do so many cagers have problems driving when it so fucking simple to do.

Ender EnZed
14th September 2009, 11:52
What I would like to know is, why do so many cagers have problems driving when it so fucking simple to do.

My thoughts exactly when I bought my first cage. About a month later I crashed my first cage.

They can wipe out way more fence than a bike and you don't get any manly injuries for the cop to be impressed by so now I get to appear in court in court in a couple of weeks (careless driving). Apparently driving through a fence is a crime.

Cages can go remarkably fast around corners relative to how slow they go in a straight line. It's also very easy to drive while eating and drinking and texting and changing radio stations and drawing little pictures to illustrate your point to passengers (relative to on a bike).

Just try not to mix those two aspects up too much because fences are expensive and court is scary.

Slyer
14th September 2009, 12:32
Cars are easy, concentration is barely required if you've been driving for more than a few days especially if you have an automatic.
I tell bad car drivers all the time to "Never buy a motorbike", if they can't even get car driving right they're probably going to kill themselves on a bike. =/

I don't understand how you could go your whole life and never drive a car, it's just amazing. Cars are very useful and bikes are very fun.
You bludge off other people whenever you had to move house or something? :bleh:

Ender EnZed
14th September 2009, 12:43
Cars are easy but the level of concentration required can rise faster than you expect if you take one down a favourite bike road at night with a bit of purpose. On a bike you're all there all the time more or less and its not such a mind shift when things get tricky.

SpankMe
14th September 2009, 12:58
I don't understand how you could go your whole life and never drive a car, it's just amazing. Cars are very useful and bikes are very fun.
You bludge off other people whenever you had to move house or something? :bleh:

Never needed one or interested in having one. Still not interested in driving it, but it's just going to be easier/faster than letting the girlie drive.

So whats the deal with getting a cage license when ya been riding for 20+ years?

Slyer
14th September 2009, 13:04
6 month learner period, so you can drive as long as the Mrs is with you.
Then 6 month restricted.

SpankMe
14th September 2009, 13:08
6 month learner period, so you can drive as long as the Mrs is with you.
Then 6 month restricted.

Cool, no problem. I have no reason to use the cage instead of my bike when going somewhere by myself.

I assume I don't have to do the theory test, just the practical?

PirateJafa
14th September 2009, 13:09
Don't forget your loser plates. Don't forget your learner plates.

SpankMe
14th September 2009, 13:11
Don't forget your loser plates. Don't forget your learner plates.

Fuck that! I didn't use them when I started riding, I certainly not using them with 20+ years experience riding NZ roads. As a bike rider I am far more aware of the dangers on the road than most cagers.

Slyer
14th September 2009, 13:35
Yep, I reckon you should be exempt from the learner period if you already have another full license...

Ender EnZed
14th September 2009, 13:52
Yep, I reckon you should be exempt from the learner period if you already have another full license...

Really??? You want full licence cagers exempt from the learner bike period?

You can't have anything other than a bike licence without a full class 1 (car) licence.

SMOKEU
14th September 2009, 15:54

My mates Celica blew the bottom end at around 190,000km. So much for Toyota reliability.

Slyer
14th September 2009, 16:11
My mates Celica blew the bottom end at around 190,000km. So much for Toyota reliability.
Wow, what a blatantly ridiculous comment. About par for KB though.

My celica is at 208,000km and motor is going strong. :niceone:

Brownbikerbabe
14th September 2009, 16:19
First....never say never...lol

and second...

The steering wheel is on the wrong side!!! :laugh:

ready4whatever
14th September 2009, 22:21

Was he doing a skid? my mates hilux has done 360,000 km (remember distance from earth to the moon is 380,000!) and still going strong. Its all about how its been treated. Toyota is the most successful car manufacturer ever

Disco Dan
14th September 2009, 23:02
Servicing? i just thrash my cages, if it blows up motors are 120 bucks at pick a part, speaking of which my gearbox is FARKED... and my clutch... and i think its last oil change was about 30,000 k's ago lol, ive put about 8,000 k on it in 3 months, and i havn't killed it yet

mine has 225,000k's on it and all ive had to do is change the waterpump

That is hardly the attitude to have Mark? :no: Disappointing.

FYI - only reason water pump went was because you treated the car badly. You would save a lot of money if you drove sensibly.

SpankMe
6th October 2009, 10:23
Just passed the theory test for my learners licence. 33/35. The traffic lights in those pictures are too small to notice and how would I know how fast you can tow a trailer. :blink:

EJK
6th October 2009, 10:26
Congratulations! Join the club!

PirateJafa
6th October 2009, 10:35
I thought you could just keep accelerating until it started leaving the ground, then stay 2km/h below that?

White trash
6th October 2009, 10:43
(remember distance from earth to the moon is 380,000!)

Fuck is it?

My car's 9000km into it's return trip :D Never had the inlet manifold or rocker covers off it either.