PDA

View Full Version : Need somebody to weld my car (Auckland)

skidMark
7th September 2009, 18:42
Hey guys, have got some rust in the whee arch of my project car, i need somebody with a gas welder, ideally able to come to where the car is as it isn't exactly easy to move no motor in it at the moment etc...

I can make up the patches if need be but i would ike a ticketed welder to come weld it up with an oxy torch, mig wil just burn holes.

More than happy to pay what is neccessary but hopefully somebody can cut me a bit of a deal regarding the housecall.

PM me or post if you can help

Cheers: Skid

Madness
7th September 2009, 18:44
Mark, trust me when I say that you don't need a ticketed welder. It's a wheel-arch, not the landing gear of a Boeing.

skidMark
7th September 2009, 18:47
Mark, trust me when I say that you don't need a ticketed welder. It's a wheel-arch, not the landing gear of a Boeing.

Yeah but at least then i know they know what they are doing as the car needs a revin i want it tidy... rather than farmer bob who has welded the odd tractor in the barn :sweatdrop

i can mig weld, but i have never gas welded, and burning holes in my expensive project car is not in the game plan lol

CookMySock
7th September 2009, 18:49
A little MIG will do it. Just turn it down and hold the torch close, use little spurts, and leave big gaps between the spot welds. Come back and do the gaps again later. I been busy doing just that all last week.

Steve

Madness
7th September 2009, 18:51
Yeah but at least then i know they know what they are doing as the car needs a revin i want it tidy... rather than farmer bob who has welded the odd tractor in the barn :sweatdrop

i can mig weld, but i have never gas welded, and burning holes in my expensive project car is not in the game plan lol

Find out how much it'll cost to hire a gas plant. Panel wire is cheap as shit and it won't take much practice to get yourself going. A ticketed welder isn't likely to be used to welding up rusty cars, for a living anyways.

FROSTY
7th September 2009, 19:05
before doing that I would check out the LEGAL requirements for repairs to a deregistered motor vehicle in order to get it on the road.
Being specific talk to the senior compliance officer at the compliance center you intend to use.
It is NOT the same as WOF requirements.
Otherwise no matter how "cheap" the repair is It'll end up a waste of money
And Yes I DO know EXACTLY what i'm talking about

skidMark
7th September 2009, 19:18
before doing that I would check out the LEGAL requirements for repairs to a deregistered motor vehicle in order to get it on the road.
Being specific talk to the senior compliance officer at the compliance center you intend to use.
It is NOT the same as WOF requirements.
Otherwise no matter how "cheap" the repair is It'll end up a waste of money
And Yes I DO know EXACTLY what i'm talking about

The rego was on hold thenapsed, but cheers for that will give the guy a call.

Firefight
7th September 2009, 19:23
Hey guys, have got some rust in the whee arch of my project car, i need somebody with a gas welder, ideally able to come to where the car is as it isn't exactly easy to move no motor in it at the moment etc...

I can make up the patches if need be but i would ike a ticketed welder to come weld it up with an oxy torch, mig wil just burn holes.

More than happy to pay what is neccessary but hopefully somebody can cut me a bit of a deal regarding the housecall.

yu little prick u still owe me a rum 4 the ali welding I did last time, !! ring me and I'll see what I can fit it 4 ya.

F/F

peasea
7th September 2009, 19:25
use little spurts, and leave big gaps

It's not his sex life.

flyingcr250
7th September 2009, 20:05

dont use a gas welder!! it will just distort the panel too much, if your burning holes with the mig then your either a shit welder, the mig is set wrong or the steel is too thin (patch needs to be bigger);) we mig or tig all our patches in, i havent gas welded anything for years,

skidMark
7th September 2009, 20:19
dont use a gas welder!! it will just distort the panel too much, if your burning holes with the mig then your either a shit welder, the mig is set wrong or the steel is too thin (patch needs to be bigger);) we mig or tig all our patches in, i havent gas welded anything for years,

well we have tried with a mig before and the mig dad has is to much of a beast to do it it simply wont turn down that low...

we have always used the gas torch on cars, i can get it from dads place if need be he is just to busy setting up his new house etc to do it for me

if i was a confident welder i would do it myself, but i know when to step aside and get it done properly

CookMySock
7th September 2009, 21:19
well we have tried with a mig before and the mig dad has is to much of a beast to do it it simply wont turn down that low..Hold the patch in place and point the torch right point-blank on the seam and give it a 300millisec squirt - instant spot weld. Carry on around the patch at about 2cm gaps. Tap down and go around again at 2cm gaps again between the other spots. DON'T try and "weld" it. If you pop a hole, LEAVE IT and fill with bog later, or use even shorter bursts.

Try to overlap weld, rather than butt weld - much easier. Tap everything down, flapdisk it, thin coat of bog over it, shape, sand, prime.

Once you get the hang of it its good fun.

Steve

flyingcr250
7th September 2009, 21:42
Hold the patch in place and point the torch right point-blank on the seam and give it a 300millisec squirt - instant spot weld. Carry on around the patch at about 2cm gaps. Tap down and go around again at 2cm gaps again between the other spots. DON'T try and "weld" it. If you pop a hole, LEAVE IT and fill with bog later, or use even shorter bursts.

Try to overlap weld, rather than butt weld - much easier. Tap everything down, flapdisk it, thin coat of bog over it, shape, sand, prime.

Once you get the hang of it its good fun.

Steve

thats the quick way, but it can come back to bite you in the ass in the future. (if it goes rusty between the "lap") best way is to butt join it (also the hardest) then it can be carefully hit with the grinder both sides and hammered up, ready for a 1-2mm build of filler (idealy primed first then filled) or it can be filed up eliminating the need for filler (better for the painter) it all takes time........

skidMark
7th September 2009, 22:31
thats the quick way, but it can come back to bite you in the ass in the future. (if it goes rusty between the "lap") best way is to butt join it (also the hardest) then it can be carefully hit with the grinder both sides and hammered up, ready for a 1-2mm build of filler (idealy primed first then filled) or it can be filed up eliminating the need for filler (better for the painter) it all takes time........

once thecar is together you dont see it anyway i just dont trust my welding lol

CookMySock
8th September 2009, 07:42
once thecar is together you dont see it anyway i just dont trust my welding lolIt doesnt matter a shit, bro. Just weld the fucker up and slap some bog on it, and get on with something useful.

Steve

Firefight
8th September 2009, 07:51
r u going 2 call or knot ?

am going off duty wednesday morn ,

will be free to weld up ur piece of shit cage

fucken ring me or I will send SLidwinder:crazy: round to fuck ya up:argh:

F/F

FROSTY
8th September 2009, 11:40
The rego was on hold thenapsed, but cheers for that will give the guy a call.
Do it BEFORE doing any work

skidMark
8th September 2009, 19:43
r u going 2 call or knot ?

am going off duty wednesday morn ,

will be free to weld up ur piece of shit cage

fucken ring me or I will send SLidwinder:crazy: round to fuck ya up:argh:

F/F

i would call if i had your number, i pm'd you for it... 021 250 76 71, but im working tommorrow, not too much of a rush mate.

Do it BEFORE doing any work

he saw it prior to cutting the rust out and just said fix it then bring it in, but will doube check with him

Mully
8th September 2009, 20:09
he saw it prior to cutting the rust out and just said fix it then bring it in, but will doube check with him

Might pay to check how he is going to check it. (does he want it not to be painted or primered or bogged before he sees it kinda thing)

Re-Vinning is a bit anal. You don't want to fix it only to have the guy insist it's done again before he signs it off.

Firefight
8th September 2009, 21:03
i would call if i had your number, i pm'd you for it... 021 250 76 71, but im working tommorrow, not too much of a rush...

you had my number you annoying little cunt, what did u do with it ?:angry2:, fuck never mind I will call ur broken arse, nodoubt u got no money on ur fone again.:crazy:

F/F

Sidewinder
8th September 2009, 21:11
you had my number you annoying little cunt, what did u do with it ?:angry2:, fuck never mind I will call ur broken arse, nodoubt u got no money on ur fone again.:crazy:

F/F

omg dave is he going to give ya head atleast

Firefight
8th September 2009, 21:15
omg dave is he going to give ya head atleast

must spread rep yadi yadi ......... on ya m8

F/F

Sidewinder
8th September 2009, 21:21
must spread rep yadi yadi ......... on ya m8

F/F

yea yea. y the fuck arnt you at work or having sex

FROSTY
9th September 2009, 08:56
Might pay to check how he is going to check it. (does he want it not to be painted or primered or bogged before he sees it kinda thing)

Re-Vinning is a bit anal. You don't want to fix it only to have the guy insist it's done again before he signs it off.
For once you said in many ords what I said in few

Mully
9th September 2009, 09:28
For once you said in many ords what I said in few

Just clarifying for you, fella.