PDA

View Full Version : Whitebait

kevfromcoro
9th September 2009, 02:04
Has anyone managed to get any whitebait this season yet?

I have been out several times and havent seen one yet.

Lot of people arent fussed on the stuff

I would walk across brocken glass for it.

Trudes
9th September 2009, 06:51
My Stepdad (who lives in Wairoa) had managed to catch about a cup full when I spoke to him last week. Yep that's a productive 5 hours!! :laugh:

nadroj
9th September 2009, 06:55
I love it - It's the only seafood delicacy I induge in, but I seldom partake more than once a week.

Good excuse for a ride to Mokau for a fritter!

StoneY
9th September 2009, 07:01
Fact is the habitual yearly Whitebaiters have contributed strongly to the depletion of our fisheries to where there are no fish left to spawn the hoards of Whitebait seen in the past-
This is why there is none left-
Whitbaiters only have themselves to blame- as well as the useless quoata systems in place -

Whitebaiting has the worst effect on our fisheries than any other recreational activity -
Only bottom trawling the inshore zones does more harm- this is a fact established by NIWA -
Hence the ocean wildlife reserves placed around over 80% of the NZ coastline where fishing has been prohibited-

I used to love to fish- I was a deep sea fisherman in the Southern Ocean and we caught em by the TON not the pound-

I LOVED whitebait fritters too- but sadly- if our KIDS and GRANDKIDS are gonna know what eating fish is like we HAVE to stop whitebaiting NOW!

Rant over - have a great day

BiK3RChiK
9th September 2009, 07:12
I love whitebait too... Love whitebaiting as well.

Alas! I haven't been out for the past 2 seasons because of time constraints and my Raynauds Syndrome is getting worse and worse.

And I certainly won't be buying any at the price!!

PrincessBandit
9th September 2009, 08:11
Whitebait fritters YUM! Always a treat at my nana's house.

Usarka
9th September 2009, 08:14
I tried last weekend but i think I was using the wrong gear... What's a good size hook, and is squid ok for bait?

98tls
9th September 2009, 08:29
Been out a couple of times,only got a cupfull so far.Wont be long and there will be plenty.:drool:

Pussy
9th September 2009, 08:31
I tried last weekend but i think I was using the wrong gear... What's a good size hook, and is squid ok for bait?

Your gear is perfect for the job.
What knife are you using to scale and gut them?

MisterD
9th September 2009, 08:40

I could take it or leave it, but I believe I'm right in saying that either last year or the one before was a record (I heard some old duffer from the Coast talking to Marcus Lush on the opening day of the season...) because a lot of work has been done recently to clean up the spawning grounds.

Dunno, not an expert, why eat whitebait when there's crayfish?

The Stranger
9th September 2009, 08:41
Fact is the habitual yearly Whitebaiters have contributed strongly to the depletion of our fisheries to where there are no fish left to spawn the hoards of Whitebait seen in the past-
This is why there is none left-
Whitbaiters only have themselves to blame- as well as the useless quoata systems in place -

Whitebaiting has the worst effect on our fisheries than any other recreational activity -
Only bottom trawling the inshore zones does more harm- this is a fact established by NIWA -
Hence the ocean wildlife reserves placed around over 80% of the NZ coastline where fishing has been prohibited-

I used to love to fish- I was a deep sea fisherman in the Southern Ocean and we caught em by the TON not the pound-

I LOVED whitebait fritters too- but sadly- if our KIDS and GRANDKIDS are gonna know what eating fish is like we HAVE to stop whitebaiting NOW!

Hmm, never heard this perspective before.
Do you have any references for this please?

I know we have seen less and less of them over the years. Was a time we could fill a 20 litre pail in an hour. Now you are lucky to get a litre in a night.

Goblin
9th September 2009, 08:46
Had 2 whitebait fritters at the Cold Kiwi.:drool: Dont know if they were fresh or Chinese imports tho.

Blackbird
9th September 2009, 08:52
Good excuse for a ride to Mokau for a fritter!

Good man! The Southern Cross in '05 finished at the lighthouse south of New Plymouth. Early the next morning and starving, I rode straight up to Mokau and for breakfast, had 3 large fritters, a pile of brown bread and butter plus a monster bowl of latte. IMHO, just about the most enjoyable meal I've ever had!

kevfromcoro
9th September 2009, 09:01
Good man! The Southern Cross in '05 finished at the lighthouse south of New Plymouth. Early the next morning and starving, I rode straight up to Mokau and for breakfast, had 3 large fritters, a pile of brown bread and butter plus a monster bowl of latte. IMHO, just about the most enjoyable meal I've ever had!

Christ.. you ate 3 of those.. they used to be the size of diner plates.

not sure if the whitebait are depleting.
local fishermen has seen acres of things.
DOC keeps a sringent eye on the whitebait stocks.
i allways only take enough for a feed.

Romeo
9th September 2009, 09:04
I've got two pet whitebait, they're both about 5 inches long now ;P.

I'm not against whitebaiters, there's generally more than enough to go around. But there are those in the sport which take it as their god given right to rape and pillage as much as they can. Guys fishing outside the allotted times, breaking the rules in all sorts of creative ways and catching so much they end up selling the left overs.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_ZFRI8hSrksU/SlcGOtQb7-I/AAAAAAAAAUU/Vf2QQhT4r74/s720/8.jpg

alley cat
9th September 2009, 09:13
looks like cooked spoof on steroids to me.

I like the pet ones, well done romeo:clap:

Blackbird
9th September 2009, 09:35
Christ.. you ate 3 of those.. they used to be the size of diner plates.

Yep, they still are! There's a tale that might explain why I was a pig though. I stayed at the Belt Road Motor Camp after finishing the ride. Got there about 4 in the afternoon and checked into a small cabin. Intended to go down to the game fishing club for tea later. Anyway, unpacked the bike, took my jacket off and sat down on the bed for a moment. I must have been knackered because I woke up the next morning at 7 o'clock on top of the bed, still in my boots and leather pants and absolutely freezing because the ranchslider was wide open - keys were still in the bike too! Staggered off for a shower and shave to get myself going, then headed for Mokau feeling absolutely ravenous. Mokau was Nirvana!

CookMySock
9th September 2009, 10:06
Now you are lucky to get a litre in a night.Thats still a fooken lot of whitebait.

...[I] took my jacket off and sat down on the bed for a moment. I must have been knackered because I woke up the next morning at 7 o'clock on top of the bed, still in my boots and leather pants and absolutely freezing because the ranchslider was wide openFark I wish I could sleep like well.

Must get down to the local river and have a dredge. Haven't had a nice WB omelette for years.

Steve

Flatcap
9th September 2009, 10:11
When I was a lad growing up in Hokitika we had so much of the stuff we would end up digging it into the vege garden.

I much prefer a good feed of offal....mmmmm kidneys

Swoop
9th September 2009, 10:48
Have you tried the new "soft baits"? They appear to be all the rage.

Forest
9th September 2009, 11:02
When I was a lad growing up in Hokitika we had so much of the stuff we would end up digging it into the vege garden.

My late Grandad reckoned that they used to use whitebait for feeding the chooks.

ready4whatever
9th September 2009, 17:20
I got a kilo on Monday, 365 grams yesterday

peasea
9th September 2009, 17:25
I got a kilo on Monday, 365 grams yesterday

Is it for sale, old buddy, old pal?

peasea
9th September 2009, 17:26
Whitebait fritters YUM! Always a treat at my nana's house.

When are we heading there?

ready4whatever
9th September 2009, 17:29
Is it for sale, old buddy, old pal?

Not this lot but more will be coming where you living?

peasea
9th September 2009, 17:31
Not this lot but more will be coming where you living?

Sarf Island, where the real whitebait lurks.....

98tls
9th September 2009, 17:33
I got a kilo on Monday, 365 grams yesterday Good work,went out today and came home with enough for tea:clap:Will head over to the coast in a few weeks to stock up the cold box.

Pussy
9th September 2009, 17:36
Good work,went out today and came home with enough for tea:clap:Will head over to the coast in a few weeks to stock up the cold box.

Skiting bastidge! :p

ready4whatever
9th September 2009, 17:36
Oh true. I have a southern super-sock. heard they came from the south..

98tls
9th September 2009, 17:37
Sarf Island, where the real whitebait lurks.....

Indeed it does,pity you werent a bit further south and a little later i could chuck some in a courier van,theres no guarantee it would get to ya the same day.

ready4whatever
9th September 2009, 17:38
Good work,went out today and came home with enough for tea:clap:Will head over to the coast in a few weeks to stock up the cold box.

Good cunt, anyone with a photo of a woodstock and whitebait fritters together deserves bling

Boob Johnson
9th September 2009, 18:03
This for real? I used to love Whitebait till I read this :eek5:

Why is this not being pushed? That's a pretty harsh outcome & not really worth it if it is indeed a fact

Good lord man!! They are the size of dinner plates & you ate three? lol. Deep pockets aye, those things are bout $14 each ffs lol.

ManDownUnder
9th September 2009, 18:04

Don't use Skiddy as bait - that's just mean

peasea
9th September 2009, 18:09
Indeed it does,pity you werent a bit further south and a little later i could chuck some in a courier van,theres no guarantee it would get to ya the same day.

How far south?
How much later?

I have a motorcycle you know..............

98tls
9th September 2009, 18:12
How far south?
How much later?

I have a motorcycle you know.............. LOL,tell you what,once i start getting a good catch i will put some in a chilly bin and courier it up to ya.Might be 4-6 weeks,pm your addy sometime.

Pussy
9th September 2009, 18:14
LOL,tell you what,once i start getting a good catch i will put some in a chilly bin and courier it up to ya.Might be 4-6 weeks,pm your addy sometime.

And just bear in mind that you ALREADY have my address, Mike!

98tls
9th September 2009, 18:18
[QUOTE=Boob Johnson;1129397057]This for real? I used to love Whitebait till I read this :eek5:

Why is this not being pushed? That's a pretty harsh outcome & not really worth it if it is indeed a fact. Personally i see it different Boob,ive a heap of family over the coast and last year they had a bumper season,one of my uncles back in 72 caught 93 pound in a day,he bettered it twice last season.Theres always been good n bad years,there always will be.

MaxB
9th September 2009, 18:53
After bailing on the Cold Kiwi (my tickets did not arrive - prolly NZ post) I took the boy down to Hawkes Bay and helped the rellies build a new whitebait stand. Good position by all accounts.

Great day but I had to ask "What is the haul so far?" "7" was the reply. "7 kilos, wow" "No, 7 as 1 2 3 4 5 6 7" Clunk.

Boob Johnson
9th September 2009, 19:00
Personally i see it different Boob, ive a heap of family over the coast and last year they had a bumper season, one of my uncles back in 72 caught 93 pound in a day, he bettered it twice last season. Theres always been good n bad years, there always will be.
Good lord! 93 pound in a day!!! Glad to hear there is two sides to this story.

Speaking of sending fish in the mail. I got a Cray sent via the postto me from the far north last year :clap:

98tls
9th September 2009, 19:08
Good lord! 93 pound in a day!!! Glad to hear there is two sides to this story.

Speaking of sending fish in the mail. I got a Cray sent via the postto me from the far north last year :clap: mmmmmmmm Cray.Its a side salad down here mate.

kevfromcoro
9th September 2009, 19:13

Been whitebaiting for a few years. and met a lot of people from the south island.
have heard that story about digging them into the garden..:argh:

also heard of a bloke who reckons he had a set net . and pulled out 140lbs duno how he pulled it up
reckons just as many went over the top of the net..
this was a few yrs ago
mayebe these guys are pulling my tit

Pussy
9th September 2009, 19:15
mmmmmmmm Cray.Its a side salad down here mate.

You are a cruel and wicked sob, Mike! :crybaby:

Boob Johnson
9th September 2009, 19:33
You are a cruel and wicked sob, Mike! :crybaby:
+1 you mean bastard Mike, think of the children!!! :weep:

Jez
9th September 2009, 19:47
bling for 98tls ... i had that for dinner last night, and tonight its wild venison back steaks ... the spoils of a couple days helping out the uncle on his crayfish boat :)

kevfromcoro
9th September 2009, 19:52
bling for 98tls ... i had that for dinner last night, and tonight its wild venison back steaks ... the spoils of a couple days helping out the uncle on his crayfish boat :)

recesion.. what recesion? you blokes are living on the best...

StoneY
9th September 2009, 19:56
Hmm, never heard this perspective before.
Do you have any references for this please?

I know we have seen less and less of them over the years. Was a time we could fill a 20 litre pail in an hour. Now you are lucky to get a litre in a night.

Most the data can be found in the NIWA reports mate- on the website and in the yearly journals they publish- I read this stuff while in the industry and needed to be up on it-

I LOVED whitebait- but after I read some reports from MAF and NIWA about 3 years back all about the reasons for the coastal reserves we had to resort to- and whitebait numbers (lack of) was then considered a huge factor in the depleted fishery stocks

They are a integral part of the food chain and breeding cycle- we eat too many the cycle breaks- especially with all the other stresses on our ecological systems-

Sorry didnt mean to rant- it did come out as one and wasnt quite meant that way

Patrick
9th September 2009, 19:56
mmmmmmmm Cray.Its a side salad down here mate.

Now that is true "art...."

SIGH........................................... :drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

98tls
9th September 2009, 19:57
bling for 98tls ... i had that for dinner last night, and tonight its wild venison back steaks ... the spoils of a couple days helping out the uncle on his crayfish boat :) Makes me think Groper cheeks.........mmmm Groper cheeks.

Jez
9th September 2009, 20:04
recesion.. what recesion? you blokes are living on the best...

thing is mate, the food im eating just costs a little hard yakker.

Helped my uncle drop the cray pots for a day on the way out, anchored off shore at the mouth of a nice wee river, uncle set up the nets, i went into the bush in search of deer, several hours later i got back to the beach with a spiker over my shoulders, uncle had scored enough whitebait for a couple of good feeds for the families, went back to the boat, picked up all the pots on the way back to bluff ...

anyone whos keen (or crazy) enough can get a feed like that ... reason im eating like a king is cause i cant afford to eat like normal people ... go figure :rolleyes:

ready4whatever
9th September 2009, 22:50
anyone whos keen (or crazy) enough can get a feed like that ... reason im eating like a king is cause i cant afford to eat like normal people ... go figure :rolleyes:

Yeah man, Got deer fish ducks wild turkeys and more game around here. Best thing about sports like hunting is they save money not cost it (well, not as much as others) .Id hate to think what the food bill would be if we bought meat