PDA

View Full Version : Shafty's in Bahrain!

shafty
10th September 2009, 06:55
Hi Guys from :sunny: Bahrain

- where the sky is a cloudless blue EVERYDAY and temperatures range between 32C'ish to late 40 degrees celcius!

We're over here on a 2 year working holiday - ie the Wife (GoGal) is working (Tutor), and I'm on holiday!!

The annual religious festival of Ramadan is currently on, meaning the country, Muslims or not, fast from Sunrise to sunset, so no eating or drinkin in public is allowed, no sale of alcohol, and most businesses close for several hours in the afternoon - reopening in the evening, when the 'fast' for the day is broken with a huge feast!

I read where a local was caught having a smoke in public and was arrested - they take it pretty seriously alright!

And before you ask, we have plenty of beers/wine/gin stashed in our hotel suite, being carefully rationed and graphed daily!

Bahrain is an island the same size as the Isle of Man, predominanly arid and very flat - I've only seen 2 minor hills in 3 weeks of roaming. There's plenty of wealth here, with some wicked cars on the road.

The important bit - biking. I'm a bit gobsmacked actually, at the lack of bikes on the road, save the many food delivery bikes - mainly CGL125 Honda's and the like - BTW, want your McDonalds delivered? No probs! KFC or Thai or Indian - no worries sir and no extra charge.

I have spotted a few bigger bikes, HOG have a chapter here, with a nice HD/Buell shop seeming to be trading well, photo's attached of some new Hondas on display in their shop, The Suzy dealer is just around the corner with the latest Busa and BKing on display (sim prices to NZ) - but to date virtually NO second hand bikes to speak of, bugger it!!

I live in hope that after Ramadan, and with continued searching, I may find a 250/400 capable of exploring the island more (and leave the rental car behind) and maybe a sneaky trip thru to a Bike Show in Milan a Kiwi Mate is going to .... we'll see .

Anyway - a few pics which may be of interest, incl some of our stop over in Hong Kong.

1. Hong Kong from the inevitable tourist boat ride
2. V8 Jap people mover!
3. Plenty of large scoots about, some real funky ones
4. VFR800 mounted Cops

chanceyy
10th September 2009, 07:20
Hey Shafty, bout time you updated us :lol:

keep flicking the pics .. even more so when you get the bike .. a 250 huh that will be a bit different from your usual ride ;)

shafty
10th September 2009, 07:31
It's a tough old life......

This is home for a month until our apartment is vacant.....

(Seems some of my pics are resisting uploading, hence the single pic upload)

sinfull
10th September 2009, 07:48
It's a tough old life......

This is home for a month until our apartment is vacant.....

(Seems some of my pics are resisting uploading, hence the single pic upload)
Awww some ppl do it hard alright haha Nice mate very nice !!!

Hey Pete, go to microsoft tools (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/Downloads/powertoys/Xppowertoys.mspx) and about 2/3 rds down the page on the right is the image resizer tool !
Your cam is prolly set to high res which can sometimes make it a hassel to load on KB, this will allow you to keep the high res shots in a storage device as well as a low res copy to load in here !

sels1
10th September 2009, 07:58
and temperatures range between 32C'ish to late 40 degrees celcius!
Too hot for this kid. I'm off to Raro next week - mid 20s more my comfort level

shafty
10th September 2009, 07:59
Cheers Bill - will do 2moro - thanks:sweatdrop

shafty
10th September 2009, 08:01
Too hot for this kid. I'm off to Raro next week - mid 20s more my comfort level

NYCE! - enjoy the :sunny::sunny::sunny:

ynot slow
10th September 2009, 08:57
Run out of Tui yet?

ducatijim
17th September 2009, 12:47
Hey Pete, how the hell r u? ( oops, shouldn't swear....they are prolly readn ur emails etc!!)

A kept 'man of leisure' eh? well, onya M8!!

You best get a bike, or youll prolly start lookn for a mistress or the like, and that WILL get u into trouble!!:2thumbsup

Very glad to hear you haven't had to forego beers, that would be only slightly worse than being dead :beer:

Good to hear from you, sounds like an adventure....maybe you should post over where the real riders hang?

Jamie

Highlander
18th September 2009, 18:20
....maybe you should post over where the real riders hang?

Jamie

Did he not?

ducatijim
21st September 2009, 15:51
Did he not?

Well, no.

Actually, Shafty is not touring is he? But I would certainly say he was having an ADVENTURE.......wouldn't you?:done:

shafty
21st September 2009, 17:24
Shafty is languishing in Dubai for the long weekend, (bashing the dunes last night in a Chevy Tahoe) but will be back in Bahrain shortly to resume a pictorial travelogue.................

ducatijim
6th October 2009, 19:48
See, like I said, ADVENTURING!!!!!:rockon: