PDA

View Full Version : restricted licence

gamgee
8th April 2005, 21:35
going to get my restricted licence soon, is there anything i should know (except that i'm going to have to score an L plate from somewhere) before i go for the test, i've ridden pretty much every day for the past 6 months so yeah pretty confident at riding now, i've got my full drivers licence so i'm guessing this will be a bit of a walk in the park, anything i should watch out for?

gamgee
8th April 2005, 21:43
oh and i spose i should ask, what do i actually have to do in the test, as obviously i don't have a pillion telling me where to go, am i just riding around behind a guy in a car or something?

Hitcher
8th April 2005, 21:49
Follow the instructions of your examiner and the rules of the road at all times, don't bin the bike, and all should go well. Your examiner will probably follow you round in a car or on a bike, before stopping in a vehicle-free area for you to demonstrate your braking prowess.

John
8th April 2005, 21:52
Follow the instructions of your examiner and the rules of the road at all times, don't bin the bike, and all should go well. Your examiner will probably follow you round in a car or on a bike, before stopping in a vehicle-free area for you to demonstrate your braking prowess.
Always wondered what would happen if you start doing one handed stoppies, I mean its controlled braking, so within the laws IN theory.

But remeber the new round-about rules the indication on going straight through etc, and always give good indication for turns, dont speed and you will be fine - if you survived 6 months on the road you in theroy will pass your restricted fine.

Good luck!

gamgee
8th April 2005, 22:24
well actually....
first bike:
http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/icliverpool/jul2003/7/0/000B3365-8FF1-1F01-B2C180BFB6FA0000.jpg

second bike:
http://www.sportbikerider.us/Pictures22/newsmain2.JPG

third bike:
http://www.citizen.com/news2004/April2004/April_23/WRECK.JPG

then i finally managed to do it right:
http://rg-racing.com/frame-sliders-testimonials/crash-protector-stunt-bike.jpg

haha although i did manage to drop my knee going round a sharp corner on my sr250 today lol, now that requires skill, the old sr250 isn't exactly made for turning! :ride:

yeeha
8th April 2005, 22:32
Yep it'll be walk in the park for you and take all of 10- 15 min with the tester following you to a car free space. I had to do about 6 tight slow speed Figure 8's. Good Luck.

:drinknsin :drinknsin :drinknsin

Hitcher
9th April 2005, 16:03
And don't forget to keep the clutch lever covered at all times. Examiners can get sniffy about that.

gamgee
9th April 2005, 20:03
what do you mean covered? like being ready to use it?

Ixion
9th April 2005, 20:15
what do you mean covered? like being ready to use it?

Yes. Couple of fingers extended and resting on the lever, ready to pull it in (mainly in case of engine seizure) . Obsolete nonsense IMHO, unless you ride a two smoker. However as the testers are almost certainly obsolete, and very probably nonsensical, you may be well advised to take note of it.

Goes without saying, if you ride a twosmoker, cover the clutch

Is the jury still out on covering the front brake? Some say do so, others that it tends to cause grabby panic braking. On the whole I think I agree with the latter (though I always cover the rear brake, Go figure). That should lead to a good flame war, with any luck

James Deuce
9th April 2005, 20:29
Re. front braking, Loopy Lynda (not Blair, another one:) )ALWAYS quotes the mate of hers that lost the two outside fingers of her right hand when they got trapped betwixt brake lever and throttle. My response to that one is she would have lost all four if she hadn't been "covering" the front brake. I always cover with two fingers when going for a strop as it allows for less grabby, better modulated velocity modification (as opposed to outright stopping power). I practice with both methods though, and find that the four finger method is a fraction slower to start braking, but always makes me stop quicker, and the front tyre howl louder.

Good luck Gamgee, though I'm sure you don't need it.