PDA

View Full Version : T120 questions

sir
11th September 2009, 16:53
I have a T120v and am just wondering if I can put straight pipes on it with out doing damage to the motor , and if any one has any tips for tuning .
It's 40thou over on a 750 morgo kit , has new pistons and electronic ignition .

F5 Dave
11th September 2009, 17:11
Why on earth would you even contemplate that? The 70s is long since past, all you would do is make a bike that is so excessively noisy you would piss everyone off & get pulled by 'the man' [trying to get some 70s talk in there].

There are certainly enough cheap period type mufflers about that are still loud enough without being ridiculous (but still might not get a wof).

MIXONE
11th September 2009, 17:32
I ran straight through pipes on my T140v for years.You will have trouble getting a wof unless you know someone who is sympathetic to old school.The other thing to watch for is them vibrating loose.As usual with an old trumpy you have to go round them regularly to make sure things are tight.For some reason it was always the left hand pipe that used to come loose.Good luck and if you don't know your bike intimately yet you will do if you intend to own it for a few years.
OLD SCHOOL RULES!

sir
11th September 2009, 17:51
Ok , the old pipes were buggered so I have just bought some pipe the same size as the headers and don't really know how much back pressure to have if I make my own baffles .

Motu
11th September 2009, 19:50
British bikes were made for an open system,maybe some fine tuning,but they are not fussy like modern bikes.The length is important...there is a formula....secret stuff....

Paul in NZ
12th September 2009, 09:58
A real T120V is a relatively rare and desirable bike - don't wreck the bloody thing, they are starting to become sought after.

Putting open pipes on it won't do a bloody thing except make it loud and annoying, theres lots of info out there on making a nice system for it or try the guys at Viking exhausts or British Spares.

If you want performance you need to consider the intake side as well as the head and exhaust

RDjase
12th September 2009, 23:23
I have a T120v and am just wondering if I can put straight pipes on it with out doing damage to the motor , and if any one has any tips for tuning .
It's 40thou over on a 750 morgo kit , has new pistons and electronic ignition .

I had a T120v with a 750 morgo kit, i sold(swaped a XW Fairmont and some cash) it to a guy that lived out Kereru in the early 90s.

I wonder if its the same bike, did you get it HB? I know a bit of the history of it if it is the same one. it had dead plates and i reregisted it in 1989ish(when triumphs were hot property, WHAT A DRAMA lol)

Jase

sir
13th September 2009, 11:49
If it was gold couloured it could be the same bike , the bike have came from palmerston nth .

RDjase
13th September 2009, 18:47
If it was gold couloured it could be the same bike , the bike have came from palmerston nth .

Mine was black with blue flashes. When i striped the tank originaly one (of the many ) paint jobs was White with red swastickers :bash:

sir
13th September 2009, 19:00
HAHA , that would have real eye catcher .

Edbear
13th September 2009, 19:09
British bikes were made for an open system,maybe some fine tuning,but they are not fussy like modern bikes.The length is important...there is a formula....secret stuff....

Something to do with a dusty gravel road and switching off the ignition... :whistle:

RDjase
13th September 2009, 19:59
Mine was black with blue flashes. When i striped the tank originaly one (of the many ) paint jobs was White with red swastickers :bash:

HAHA , that would have real eye catcher .

Probably not the most PC of paint jobs aye , all the old trumpys had a bit of history to them, i added a fair bit of my own with my bonnie and trident. fun times (i think) bit hard to remember some of it ;)

sir
13th September 2009, 20:18
Yeah most certainly , I can see mine has a bit of hitory . Just needs some tlc and a good tune .

Tbird650
31st October 2009, 02:07
Each to their own and if straight headers is your thing then I can share secrets learnt from circuit racing the 650/750. To quieten the exhaust put a 3mm slot, 150mm long, an inch in from the end of each pipe. This will take all the "crackle and bark" out. Gives a great sound without annoyance. For best performance ,two separate pipes of 1&3/4inch x 37inches long measured from valve stem to end of pipe. Jetting won't change much at all. Make sure your carbs are getting a decent flow of fuel to them. Check by taking out both carb's drain bungs, then turning on both taps and measuring the amount against the clock. Riding above 100kmph, both fuel taps should be on. Consider an electronic ignition if you haven't got one... they are awesome.
Hope this helps.