PDA

View Full Version : What?

scumdog
9th April 2005, 02:17
From the 'dark side', you may all be 'motorsickle' riders but apart from a few select members you are all pretty soft when it comes to life (apart from your own) but you-all have no hesitation to slag the po-leese etc.
This IS the po-leece but enhanced by a whole slew of bourbon, just step a mile in the footsteps of a po-leece officer and THEN decide if you-all are being given a bad run by your local law-officers!! :confused:

scumdog
9th April 2005, 02:22
'Not make much sense to you? Niether did the crash involving two cars racing and the poor old guy heading the other way tonight, - eff it I get SO pissed off with toss-pots that drive like they are on the race-track!!

Waylander
9th April 2005, 03:06
Hmm maybe this is the real reason why Spud is havin a crap night. Mate none of us here really hate the cops (well, except for winja) We know you're just regular peaple tryin to do a job and gettin screwed by the higher ups. We don't like the guys that do runners or racers that kill people or risk others needlessly. That stuff belongs on the track. But you can't go through with out a little bit of jesting goin on mate. Just take it in stride and realize that most of us arn't serious about it.

Kickaha
9th April 2005, 05:34
This IS the po-leece but enhanced by a whole slew of bourbon

Is this a regular part of your training? :msn-wink:

Holy Roller
9th April 2005, 06:02
Can understand the bourbon, attending accidents is never pleasant - and you must see alot.

You guys do a great job, it is appreciated.

Clockwork
9th April 2005, 06:25
If too many people are complaining about the institution (not idividual Officers). The institution could either ask itself why and address the issues, or it can collectivlely assume that society has too many know-nothing whingers and just carry as its going. To date, it seems to have chosen the latter.

Clockwork
9th April 2005, 06:36
Oh, I also want to add, that it takes a special kind of person to be a good Police Officer and I admire those that do the job well. I'm also confident that most Officers fit into this category.

Society couldn't function without them. :niceone:

avgas
9th April 2005, 07:29
:lol: whiskey on patrol
......."thats sgt wiskey to you son"...
I hate benefit bludgers - cops are ok as long as you dont get them and its quota day

spudchucka
9th April 2005, 07:52
'Not make much sense to you? Niether did the crash involving two cars racing and the poor old guy heading the other way tonight, - eff it I get SO pissed off with toss-pots that drive like they are on the race-track!!
You had one of thoose days, huh.

This was sent to me a couple of years ago, (I think it has come from the US), its pretty soppy but I like to read it every now and then to help keep things in perspective.

WHAT IS A POLICE OFFICER?

POLICE are human (believe it or not) just like the rest of us. They come

in both sexes but mostly male. They also come in various sizes. This

sometimes depends on weather you are looking for one or trying to hide

something. However, they are mostly big.

POLICE are found everywhere - on land, on sea, in the air, on horses,

in cars, sometimes in your hair. In spite of the fact that "you can't find

one when you want one", they are usually there when it counts most. The

best way to get one is to pick up the phone.

POLICE deliver lectures, babies, and bad news. They are required to have

the wisdom of Solomon, the disposition of a lamb and the muscles of steel

and are often accused of having a heart to match. He's/she's the one who

rings the door-bell, swallows hard and announces the passing of a loved

one; then spends the rest of the day wondering why he ever took such

a "crummy" job.

On TV, police are an oaf who couldn't find a bull fiddle in a telephone

booth. In real life they are expected to find a little blond boy "about

so high" in a crowd of a half million people. In fiction, he gets help

from private eyes, reporters, and "who-dun-it fans". In real life,

mostly all they get from the public is "I didn't see nuttin'."

When he serves a summons, he's a monster. If he lets you go, he's a doll.

To little kids he's either a friend or a bogeyman, depending on how

the parents feel about it. He works "around the clock" split shifts,

sundays and holidays, and it always kills him when a joker says,

"Hey, tomorrow is Election Day, I'm off, let's go fishing" (that's the

day he works 20 hours).

The police are like the little girl, who, when she was good, was very

very good, but, when she was bad, was horrid. When police are good, "he's

getting paid for it". When he makes a mistake "he's a grafter, and that

goes for the rest of them too." When they shoot a stick-up man he's a

hero, except when the stick-up man is only a 16 year old kid with a toy gun," and any

body coulda seen that".

Lots of them have homes, some of them covered with ivy, but most of them

covered with mortgages. If they drive a big car, he's a chiseler? a little

car, "who's he kidding?". His credit is good; this is very helpful, because

his salary isn't. Police raise lots of kids; most of them belong to

other people.

POLICE see more misery, bloodshed, trouble, and sunrises then the average

person. Like the postman, police must also be out in all kinds of weather.

The uniform changes with the climate, but the outlook on life remains about

the same; mostly a blank, but hoping for a better world.

POLICE like days off, vacation, and coffee. They don't like auto horns,

family fights, and anonymous letter writers. They have a union, but they

can't strike. They must be impartial, courteous, and always remember the

slogan "At your service". This is sometimes hard, especially when a

character reminds you "I'm a taxpayer, I pay your salary".

POLICE get medals for saving lives, stopping runaway horses, and shooting

it out with bandits (once in a while his widow gets the medal). but

sometimes, the most rewarding moment comes when, after some small kindness

to an older person, he feels the warm hand clasp, looks into grateful eyes

and hears, " Thank you and God bless you

spudchucka
9th April 2005, 07:55
Heres another one I find a certain amount of truth in.

Life cycle of a police officer.

1) Cut your hair and shave the mustache
2) Apply
3) Test
4) Get hired
5) Academy
6) Graduate from academy
7) Field training
8) Complete field training
9) Grow a mustache
10) Complete probation
11) Buy a motorcycle, a big truck, and a new boat......all on credit
12) Start putting on weight
13) Find it hard to believe it's been 10 years
14) Sell the motorcycle, the truck, and the boat
15) Put on more weight
16) Buy a mini van to haul the kids around in
17) Shave the mustache
18) Find it even harder to believe it's been 17 years
19) Put on more weight
20) Get friendly with a heart doctor
21) Find it hard to believe that some of your academy buddies are retireing
22) See the last kid leave home
23) Wonder how much of your retirement your first two wives are gonna get
24) Put in your papers
25) Turn in your badge
26) Pass a bunch of kids in uniform on your way out the door for the last time
27) Grow your hair in a pony tail and grow a mustache
28) Buy a Harley, a big truck and a new boat... all cash
29) Loose 58 pounds
30) Live happily ever after for another 40+ years

SPman
9th April 2005, 08:44
Particularly 26 - 30 (or the equivalent thereof)

thehollowmen
9th April 2005, 08:53
I may have slagged off one or two policies but I'd never slag off an individual police officer... they're almost all great guys and girls, I grew up around them when my parents were off on the SAR / ACR helecopter picking people up...

the policy may start with the same letters as polic...E but the policy is made by
the person at the top, the gubberment.

Go to immigration and go do the new medical... it is insane, but that's the new policy. I pity the immigration people because guys and girls are going insane at them, "each month we need something new, there is no way we can apply because that will take a month to do then we'll need something else..."

It is the people at the top, not the groundwork police. And ain't they been complaining about the policies lately too? *points to the news over the last week* they had to show that they had so many unassigned cases and were too busy...

Rant over..

Please policey people... I loveses you.. and to show my appreciation I'll give "Blue Meanie" a snog tonight at the party :-)

Riff Raff
9th April 2005, 08:57
Police are a very welcome sight to us in our job. It's so reassuring for us knowing that they will be there - but terrifying when when all hell breaks loose and there are no units coming to the incident we're going to and we're told "Approach with caution". When you see the shit they have to put up with, you realise that they are very special people. Well done guys!

MD
9th April 2005, 10:20
Hang in there SD. Lots of us appreciate the horrible job you have chosen to do for sweet all gratitute from the public and what the hells up with the media lately. Seems a Policeman can't go out with a crooked tie on without getting put down on the front page.
Rather you than me.
MD

Motu
9th April 2005, 11:27
They could double the Police force if they let short people in - it's discrimination I reckon.

Skyryder
9th April 2005, 11:29
One of the things I have noticed with the police is that if you agree you will usually have no problem. That's not to say you will not get a ticket. But once you dispute their version of events their attitude changes. Some years ago I was stopped for failing to stop at a compulasry stop a 250 Honda I was riding. I was running late for work and stopped/started without putting my feet on the ground. If he had been watching properly I would not have recieved a ticket but because I challanged his version he issued a ticket. What pissed me off was his comment that if I had admitted my failure to stop, "you would not have been issued with an offence notice."

Been issued with two tickets caught fair and square, no problems but some do have a sarcastic attitude and this usually occurs prior to the writing up of the offense. It's almost as if they are trying to bait you into comitting a further offense. And secondly why do they invariabley ask where you are going. Some time ago told an officer it was none of his buisness, well then my 'attitude' started. In those days I use to carry a small tape recorder so I pulled that out and asked him why my destination was of any concern of his or in what relation was my destination to the alledged offence. That stopped him in his tracks. I got the run a round with license warrent rego etc that took up to half an hour and the ticket, well that was giong to happen no matter what but at least his attitude changed and he became civil. So that was a small win.

So if you strike a snotty one just pull out the tape recorder give the time and the date, inform the officer that this interview is being recorded and may be used in evidence in (my) defence. Ask that he understands what you are doing. In effect you are taking control of the situation instead of the other way around. You will probably get the ticket but the look on their face when out pops the recorder is priceless.

But remember only use it if you have to.

Skyryder

Ixion
9th April 2005, 11:44
And secondly why do they invariabley ask where you are going. Some time ago told an officer it was none of his buisness, well then my 'attitude' started.
Skyryder

Yes. That annoys me too . On the (thankfully rare) occasions I have been stopped ("Just a routine check"), they always ask that (bike or car, it's not just bikes). I doubt they have any right to demand that, and it's none of their business. They always seem to do it, so it must be some sort of official intsruction.

Anyone know why?

Actually, now that I think about it, it actually pisses me off enough to write to the Commisioner and ask why, and on what authority they do it . Where I've been, where I'm going and why are my own business. :angry2:

Ixion
9th April 2005, 11:45
They could double the Police force if they let short people in - it's discrimination I reckon.
I think they do now ?

MSTRS
9th April 2005, 12:06
Have for ages. Would be interesting to see stats comparing arsehole cops/height. My bet is on 'short man syndrome'

CBR97
9th April 2005, 16:12
Ive meet some very good police persons, and ive meet some right dickheads,
but most have been ok,

They do a job that most of us couldnt handle,
:Punk:

Da Bird
9th April 2005, 16:44
Yes. That annoys me too . On the (thankfully rare) occasions I have been stopped ("Just a routine check"), they always ask that (bike or car, it's not just bikes). I doubt they have any right to demand that, and it's none of their business. They always seem to do it, so it must be some sort of official intsruction.

Anyone know why?

Actually, now that I think about it, it actually pisses me off enough to write to the Commisioner and ask why, and on what authority they do it . Where I've been, where I'm going and why are my own business. :angry2:

I never specifically ask someone where they have been or where they are going, although I do ask if they have a reason / explanation for committing the alleged offence and often it is "I'm late for work / school... whatever". Definitely not an official instruction to find out where everyone is going - unless of course it is a known scumbag burglar who will raise suspicion in any case...

Gremlin
9th April 2005, 21:08
I suppose most of us are looking at it from one side.

Either we have done (maybe seem to have done) something wrong and the cop is punishing us for breaking rules, for us, thats bad and nobody wants to get punished, so the cop seems bad. Or, we are a victim and the cop has helped out, so the cop is a good guy.

But we have to remember, cops are human and can't turn off feelings from another accident. This might seem bad, but nothing we can do. Also, cops have seen so many bad accidents that most of us would never see. They see families getting ripped apart everyday, then they see people breaking rules and I bet they think "Somebody did that and look what happened"

Also, he doesn't make the rules, he enforces them and I bet he gets carefully measured on them as well. I think the reason we talk about the cop himself is that he is the representative or figurehead of the police and we are pissed at the police.

Ultimately, the guy is just doing his job. Respect him and only argue if he is wrong, but don't abuse him (I would). I would hope that if you were nice, he would try to be nicer... who knows, maybe a warning?? :whistle: :D

Sure, there may be bad cops, but nothing is perfect. Cops are just more public than other occupations and they are still human.

[/steps off high horse - and will be embarrassed when I have my rant... :whistle: ]

Teflon
9th April 2005, 21:30
My step father sold his TL to a cop.

The guy came around to pick up the bike. My step father was comming home from work, so he had to pull one last mono down our street doing over the ton, right in front of us. The guy just laughed.

So they like to have fun just like us.

Wolf
10th April 2005, 09:01
I never specifically ask someone where they have been or where they are going, although I do ask if they have a reason / explanation for committing the alleged offence and often it is "I'm late for work / school... whatever". Definitely not an official instruction to find out where everyone is going - unless of course it is a known scumbag burglar who will raise suspicion in any case...
When we were regularly wandering the streets late at night (on foot), usually owing to the need to get something from the 24-hour servo and possessing no transport, we would frequently get stopped by the police and would invariably be asked who we were, where we lived, where we had come from and where we were going.

Usually didn't begrudge giving the info - honest citizen, no need to hide anything.

For the most part the police were polite and no hassle at all - one notable exception to that I've already described on this site and I firmly believe that the older cop who was driving the car ripped that bugger's ears off for being an abusive wanker, if the look on the older cop's face was anything to go by...

One older cop was positively avuncular - "just like to know what's happening on my patch", "you guys get home, there're some nasty sorts out at night."

On the bike I wave to cops - they're out there doing a job. I've been "first on scene" at a couple of really nasty accidents - no fatals so far - so I have a shit-load of respect for fire brigade, ambulance and police who deal with that sort of mess, and worse, regularly.

2_SL0
10th April 2005, 11:23

Im going to get slagged for this, BUT just a funny thought.
Whats worse than a short policeman with short man syndrome.
A short police women with Short women syndrome.

No offence to short people or police peeps.

inlinefour
10th April 2005, 12:11
I reckon those who slag em off would be the first to ring em if they where in trouble...

Ixion
10th April 2005, 12:13
When we were regularly wandering the streets late at night (on foot), usually owing to the need to get something from the 24-hour servo and possessing no transport, we would frequently get stopped by the police and would invariably be asked who we were, where we lived, where we had come from and where we were going.

Usually didn't begrudge giving the info - honest citizen, no need to hide anything.

Maybe a bit of a different case. I can understand police asking a few questions if they see people wandering around late at night. Or riding/driving at night in a deserted industrial complex or such. Naturally they're going to wonder "hmm, wonder what brings him here, where it is so deserted ".Back when I was on night callout for alarm activation at a factory I got stopped a couple of times and asked who, where etc. Didn't mind that I could see the logic there. Different though if you've been stopped on a busy main road in daytime.

Especially as half the time they seem to want to argue about it on the lines of "this isn't the most direct route to X " etc. So what, I often take indirect routes, they're more interesting.

scroter
10th April 2005, 12:58
do as your told and say as little as possible, and definitly dont get wound up. this way there less likely to remember you.

Gremlin
10th April 2005, 13:26
Why would they need to remember you?? :shifty: :sly:

Nevermind, they will find out later they needed to remember who you were and then its too late :lol:

sels1
10th April 2005, 14:14

Though night huh SD? sympathies mate, how is it today....?

scumdog
10th April 2005, 16:34
Though night huh SD? sympathies mate, how is it today....?

Good now matey, just back from the Off the Rails rally at Middlemarch where I 'de-stressed' nicely thank you :drinknsin :msn-wink:

Lou Girardin
11th April 2005, 09:59
Is this a regular part of your training? :msn-wink:

Stress relief.

Marmoot
11th April 2005, 10:29
It's not the Police that I hate. They are fine astounding angels.

It's the METERMAIDS that I hate!

Waylander
11th April 2005, 11:10
Here is a question, what is the money for the meter used for anyway? As in once the government gets ahold of it where does it go from there? (besides lining a few pockets)

Marmoot
11th April 2005, 11:35
I don't mind paying where it is due.
But the way they do their job with such zeal and fervour is simply disgusting.
and half the time the meters do not work, or do not print out any ticket and swallow your money. And they don't have 0800 numbers to report these things, prompting you either waste money on 10 minutes cellphone call to request waiver, or simply put more money to another meter, or risk $40 ticket.

Not to mention that they now can go around in minicars and send tickets by mail to whoever they think is breaking the law by few milliseconds.

And they claim they are there to saves lifes? yea right....give them those laserguns as they have requested....

Waylander
11th April 2005, 11:43
Ran into a few of the print out ones up in auckland when Slip was in town. Some fuckwad had taken tissue paper and gun and plugged up the coin slot. Had to walk around to every one I saw and finnaly saw one down about 15 metres away from where I parked.

Marmoot
11th April 2005, 11:48
thought about squirting some superglue to some myself for a few times.
Decided couldn't spare the money for the glue...

Gremlin
11th April 2005, 14:51
thought about squirting some superglue to some myself for a few times.
Decided couldn't spare the money for the glue...
I'm afraid the vandalism boat has already sailed. Sometime last year I think, somebody had some fun with acid(??). Lots of machines had to be replaced, and officials were very very angry. :killingme

Students were happy tho, free parking everytime the machines don't work :lol:

spudchucka
11th April 2005, 14:53

Anyone know why?

Sometimes I ask people what their star sign is. Anyone want to guess why?

Ixion
11th April 2005, 15:00

If you're serious, I'd guess that it's because if someone is giving a fake name and address he may know the birthdate of the person whose identity he has assumed. But is likely to stumble over the star sign. Most people know the sign for their own birthdate, but not any other dates.

Of course an intelligent person would make sure that he knew everything about the persona he was assuming.

But do you not have the ability to look up the picture from the big computer for comparison purposes ? Was not that the justification for the digitised images, so police could use them to verify ID at the roadside ?

Lou Girardin
11th April 2005, 15:09

You want a date?

Wolf
11th April 2005, 15:09
So when they say "Scorpio" you can say "ahh, that explians everything!" (Just a joke, I really would never say anything to annoy a Scorpio - I know how vindictive the little psychotic bastards can be)

spudchucka
11th April 2005, 16:35
If you're serious, I'd guess that it's because if someone is giving a fake name and address he may know the birthdate of the person whose identity he has assumed. But is likely to stumble over the star sign. Most people know the sign for their own birthdate, but not any other dates.

Of course an intelligent person would make sure that he knew everything about the persona he was assuming.

But do you not have the ability to look up the picture from the big computer for comparison purposes ? Was not that the justification for the digitised images, so police could use them to verify ID at the roadside ?
Fake name, fake date of birth.... Whats your star sign? Duh........ I don't know.

Equals dickhead gets locked up for giving false details.

The average idiot that gives false deatails is very much at the bottom of the intelligence pool, there will always be sophisticated fraudsters that are more competant liars.

The point is that cops ask all sorts of questions for all sorts of reasons, its their job to be nosy.

No we don't have the ability to look up the digital image stored on a persons driver licence. Even if we did it wouldn't be any use to us at the road side when dealing with a driver.

The photos are on the licences so that police can confirm that the licence is that of teh person they are speaking to. If the person doesn't produce a licence and then lies about there identity there is no way police can access the digital image stored at LTSA from the roadside.

spudchucka
11th April 2005, 16:37
You want a date?
You're being very friendly all of a sudden. I'm free on friday, what did you have in mind?

Ixion
11th April 2005, 16:52
The photos are on the licences so that police can confirm that the licence is that of teh person they are speaking to. If the person doesn't produce a licence and then lies about there identity there is no way police can access the digital image stored at LTSA from the roadside.

Interesting. Given that that capability was the reason for using digitised images stored in a database, rather than just a simple photo on the license.Digitisation being *MUCH* more complex and expensive than just a laminated photo. Remember it well, being in my professional area so to speak. I guess maybe it was one of the things that got lost in the INCIS debacle.

Ixion
11th April 2005, 16:54

No we don't have the ability to look up the digital image stored on a persons driver licence. Even if we did it wouldn't be any use to us at the road side when dealing with a driver.

Guessing that the in-car laptops that were part on INCIS also never made it off the drawing board ?

scumdog
11th April 2005, 17:01
Guessing that the in-car laptops that were part on INCIS also never made it off the drawing board ?

INCIS debacle is probably a fair amount of the reason we're in the pickle we're in now!!

(don't tell the bosses I said that)

spudchucka
11th April 2005, 17:03
Ahhh, no! :angry2:

Ixion
11th April 2005, 17:19
Ahhh, no! :angry2:

Hmm. I remember also that part of the cost/benefit analysis for INCIS was that there would be very substantial savings in comms centre costs . Because cops would be able to look stuff up themselves, with said in car laptops, rather than having to call up comms and ask them to find out and relay. What's the bet that the comms budget got cut back early "because we will see the savings come through in the next year", then never restored when INCIS died the death. Hence ,maybe, part of the present comms problems.

igor
11th April 2005, 17:56

I am waiting for a dwarf to graduate. They ant far off at the moment some of the people comin thru.

On another note what a beautiful day doing the Coro loop yesterday. Lots of bikes out and everyone was waving. me i always give the peace sign with the left hand clear and high.

god life was good, beaut lunch at the matarangi golf club restaurant. They never complain at us as i dropped all me riding gear and boots on the floor and wander around in me shorts t shirt and socks. the food is superb.

makes ya forget about all the shite ya gotta deal with day in day out that got zero life skills. :whocares:

igor
11th April 2005, 17:58

we had three in car laptops in our patrol cars in 1993 mounted in the glovebox. ya could fold them away and no on enu they was there in jaffaland. good to see things are moving along very quickly and they are now fitted to all cars. yeah right

never used to use the radio

scumdog
11th April 2005, 19:04
we had three in car laptops in our patrol cars in 1993 mounted in the glovebox. ya could fold them away and no on enu they was there in jaffaland. good to see things are moving along very quickly and they are now fitted to all cars. yeah right

never used to use the radio

It was a blast in the US, instant QVR, no waiting!!