PDA

View Full Version : Rugby...what rugby?

short-circuit
13th September 2009, 11:01
All Blacks: Hammered once again, and comprehensively so. Don’t be fooled the scoreline – the Boks took the foot off their throats for long periods of the game.

Face it, they've been a team with no composure for more than 3 seasons now. No international sides (beyond the minnows) fear them. Making their Haka all the more excruciating.

Last night they looked like the Warriors on a bad day.

Danielle Carter ain't looking to me like the cure for all the All Black's problems. He had a shocker overall last night: Gifting a try to S.A with a lovely intercept pass. Single-handedly bombing a try with a terrible pass over the sideline to Rokocoko on the break with only one to beat. They were many other instances were he was pressurised and he looked like it was getting to him (maybe he believed the NZ media wish that he would make the difference)…. Sorry, the gap is in reality quite a bit wider than that.

Doesn't help that the “brains trust” of Henry, Tweedle Dumb and Tweedle Dee are unable to learn from their portfolio of past mistakes. Even when they eventually do, they just make new ones anyway. The Steven Donald experiment worked well eh? He had his arse felt yet again. And what was all this bullshit about switching 1st and 2nd Five positions all about? Like that was gonna make a difference.

Beyond Nonu (who's hands were like feet), the backline didn't have a shit show of troubling the defence until Toeava was introduced after 50 mins.

The forward pack appears to be nigh on retarded at line-out time. However I’m not convinced that it’s just an absence on quality ball that makes the All Blacks shit – they either make mistakes through lack of skill when they do have it, or they are indecisive, purposeless or clueless when they have it

General decision-making is terrible: Cowan is thick and one-dimensional. Their kicking is mostly aimless. Most are guilty of trying to run on occasions that seem completely incomprehensible. What about McCaw opting for a scrum rather than taking points in front when behind by 10 late in the second half? Yes Captain Fantastic(ally overrated)

Ask the NZ Warriors how successful relying on aerial cross kicks out wide to score tries is. But then, I guess you have few other options when you don't have the skills to play a running/passing game - as most rugby (union) teams clearly don't.

All and all...most enjoyable watching them (once again) get taken apart. And lets not pretend (like the media are) that it was just a superior kicking game that made the difference.

Really looking forward to another momentous World Cup choke, but not as much as I'm enjoying the constant excitement and quality of games on offer throughout the NRL competition in the superior code - Rugby League. Great defences (huge hits), well constructed tries (which decide games as opposed to shots at goal for infringements all the time).
The Great Game – a fast paced free flowing contest that retains shape and continuity through the skills and speed of quality athletes (from halves through to 120kg props).

RIP Rugby Union.

ynot slow
13th September 2009, 11:20
Same ol same ol,between world cup we learn nothing.Not a fan of Toeava,but he fired last night.Hore play was good at kick off,if only the jumpers could time the leaps,and his throws more accurate.And guys teams will contest the opposition throws,just because we don't doesn't mean they won't.

Dirty_Harri
13th September 2009, 11:23
All I can say is Carter needs some tuition from Francois Steyn- he made him look like childs play. :Oops:

MIXONE
13th September 2009, 11:25
Tell me again why you bothered watching a sport which you appear to hate?

James Deuce
13th September 2009, 11:26
There's a hilarious summary of the game deriding the 'boks one dimensional kicking/running game on Stuff.

Fucking works, dunnit?

short-circuit
13th September 2009, 11:35
Tell me again why you bothered watching a sport which you appear to hate?

Cause I knew the beat up was bullshit and that the All Blacks would get duffed despite the hype...

I love the anguish on their faces and the ensuing teeth nashing and excuse making by the NZ media and public.

I watched both the NRL qualifiers as well though and actually enjoyed the games themselves - not just the result :2thumbsup. How's that for a concept?

jaymzw
13th September 2009, 11:47
All Blacks - Hammered once again, and comprehensively so. Don’t be fooled the scoreline – the Boks took the foot off their throats for long periods of the game.

Face it - they've been a team with no composure for more than 3 seasons now. No international sides (beyond the minnows) fear them. Making their Haka all the more excruciating.

Danielle Carter ain't looking to me like the cure for all the All Black's problems. He had a shocker overall last night: Gifting a try to S.A with a lovely intercept pass. Single-handedly bombing a try with a terrible pass over the sideline to Rokocoko on the break with only one to beat. They were many other instances were he was pressurised and he looked like it was getting to him (maybe he believed the NZ media wish that he would make the difference)…. Sorry, the gap is in reality quite a bit wider than that.

Doesn't help that the “brains trust” of Henry, Tweedle Dumb and Tweedle Dee are unable to learn from their portfolio of past mistakes. Even when they eventually do, they just make new ones anyway. The Steven Donald experiment worked well eh? He had his arse felt yet again. And what was all this bullshit about switching 1st and 2nd Five positions all about? Like that was gonna make a difference.

Beyond Nonu (who's hands were like feet), the backline didn't have a shit show of troubling the defence until Toeava was introduced after 50 mins.

The forward pack appears to be nigh on retarded at line-out time. However I’m not convinced that it’s just an absence on quality ball that makes the All Blacks shit – they either make mistakes through lack of skill when they do have it, or they are indecisive, purposeless or clueless when they have it

General decision-making is terrible: Cowan is thick and one-dimensional. Their kicking is mostly aimless. Most are guilty of trying to run on occasions that seem completely incomprehensible. What about McCaw opting for a scrum rather than taking points in front when behind by 10 late in the second half? Yes Captain Fantastic(ally overrated)

Ask the NZ Warriors how successful relying on aerial cross kicks out wide to score tries is. But then, I guess you have few other options when you don't have the skills to play a running/passing game - as most rugby (union) teams clearly don't.

All and all...most enjoyable watching them (once again) get taken apart. And lets not pretend (like the media are) that it was just a superior kicking game that made the difference.

Really looking forward to another momentous World Cup choke, but not as much as I'm enjoying the constant excitement and quality of games on offer throughout the NRL competition in the superior code. Great defences (huge hits), well constructed tries (which decide games as opposed to shots at goal for infringements all the time).
The Great Game – a fast paced free flowing contest that retains shape and continuity through the skills and speed of quality athletes (from halves through to 120kg props).

RIP Rugby Union.

I've commented on everything i highlighted in red. I think you have made some very valid points. But others?:pinch:

So the All Blacks lost last night? They played an average first forty which had them on the back foot and they failed to execute when the situation meant they had to play expansive footy.
But i dont think that no-one fears the AllBlacks anymore. They showed with 20 to go that they do have the ability to dig deep and show some pride which was before last night absent under Henry. They are still a worldclass side. For the first time in 13 years the Tri-Nations has been a tight competition.

Now to move on to Carter, he kept us in the game last night for as long as he could. He didnt miss a kick all night, and slotted the crucial conversion from the sideline in 3 seconds to keep us in with a sniff. Composure was something he did lack however. Not that this is neccesarily his fault. He was at his best when he had front foot ball. The forwards couldnt give this. Not from a ruck, a maul, a scrum and deffintitely not a lineout.
The intercept pass can be forgiven, DeVilliers, along with Habana are the worlds best exponents of executing the intercept.
The only other bad plays i can think of from DC were the overcooked kickoff and yes, maybe that pass could have gone to hand. But it was Isaac Ross not Smokin Joe and he was well out of position to recieve it.

Yes, the general kicking last night was poor, however i believe this can be partially attributed to the pressure that the Saffs were allowed to put on at the breakdown. Donald at secondfive is a joke. He directly and indirectly cost us points with his fluffed bomb and the numerous occasions he decided to run whilst being completely isolated.

I think McCaw's reasoning for taking the scrum, which in hindsight was completely wrong, was that the AllBlacks actually had to win by more than 7. I wouldnt knock McCaws performance either, he was at the bottom of every ruck he could be. However he is competeing against 8 green and gold jerseys which appear exempt to being offside, off their feet etc.

I dont agree with your comments about the kicking game being the difference between the two teams however. I believe it was. Frans Steyn kicked two from 60 metres. Can we do that? No. DuPreez try was scored off a bomb which the back 3 couldnt deal with. Their entire game is centred around their 10, who KICKS THE BALL. Their forwards set a platform, and the flyhalf kicks the drop goal, penalty, etc. Simple? Yes. Boring? YES! Effective? Deffinitely.

Comparing the Warriors cross kick to the AllBlacks is completely unreasonable. The Warriors used it because on their 5th, they had nothing but the cross kick. Last night it wasnt premeditated. The SouthAfrican umbrella defence made it near impossible for us to outflank them. The cross kick was the effective answer. It worked twice and created gaps in the SA defence because they were forced to spread to width of the field. Again in hindsight, the 3rd time was maybe one too many, because as we saw DC overcooked it and the match was over.

I deffintely dont understand the psyche of the NewZealand rugby supporter. You say you look forward to another NZ choke in the World Cup. THIS TOURNAMENT IS 2 YEARS AWAY. I think you will find that a lot of talent being blooded in the Air New Zealand Cup will be going on tour in November with the AllBlacks. There are players proving themselves week in week out at provincial level. This can only be a good thing. If we were to go undefeated through until 2011 im sure you would accuse Henry and the team of peaking to early. You cant win all the time. And we didnt deserve to win last night. But even putting together only 20 minutes of quality footy we were only just off the pace.

But i do agree with you on the NRL. Isnt it excitng. How about Billy the Kid grabbing 4 against Manly. At the moment the NRL is miles ahead of the TriNations in terms of entertainment.

dogsnbikes
13th September 2009, 11:50
Think becoming the coach is more political than ability..Henry's Provincal history as a coach may look good but his international history is far from it,

Where the high profile ex AKLD coach couldn't take a team to 6 nation glory a ex waikato guy could

From where I sit the Allblack backline is a forest gump repeat"Run forest Run" with the addition of "what about the fucking ball forest"

The players have to stand up and take charge and be able to change the game plan on the field not wait until halftime,interchange,injury or other stoppage in play to recieve instructions and it is plan as day that they do not have that ability to do so......despite henry being a muppet

My pick for the next world cup is a Aussie/wales final allblacks knocked out in the 1/4s

the end

sil3nt
13th September 2009, 11:53
I find it funny how people go into deep analysis of what has to be the most over rated sport in the world.

Quasievil
13th September 2009, 11:55
All Blacks - Hammered once again, and comprehensively so.

Really ?? I must have watched a different game, the game I saw was only lost by 3 points.
The second half the AB's did well, not becasue the SA went to sleep but because they played well.......................give them some credit ya miserable bastard ;)

jaymzw
13th September 2009, 12:00
I find it funny how people go into deep analysis of what has to be the most over rated sport in the world.
Yes, i should have said this:whistle::wacko:;)

Really ?? I must have watched a different game, the game I saw was only lost by 3 points.
The second half the AB's did well, not becasue the SA went to sleep but because they played well.......................give them some credit ya miserable bastard ;)

short-circuit
13th September 2009, 12:23

I agree the overrated comment, but it's hardly in depth analysis...

It's just having an understanding of a game and watching it with two eyes as opposed to one. Many New Zealanders seem to be more concerned with the scoreboard than the game.

Well now the scoreboards are looking just as unpalatable (from a NZ point of view) as the sport itself.

Ragingrob
13th September 2009, 13:16
Hammered? I would have thought they really controlled quite a lot of the game excluding line-outs. Their loss was based on inhuman penalty kicks and an intercept. It's not like the south africans built up their play through several passages leading to them scoring points or anything, they won by picking up on our scraps.

We do need to learn how to hold on to the fucken ball though, oh and how to get Donald outta the team.

fatzx10r
13th September 2009, 13:21
the all blacks suck, and rugby is gay :yes:

Kendog
13th September 2009, 13:34
Rugby has lost the excitement for me.

Last night I watched the League and enjoyed a 7 try to 6 (40-32) win for the team I support. No need for 4 try bonus points, or 5 points for a try.

short-circuit
13th September 2009, 13:38
Rugby has lost the excitement for me.

Last night I watched the League and enjoyed a 7 try to 6 (40-32) win for the team I support. No need for 4 try bonus points, or 5 points for a try.

Totally. And Brisbane look like they're peaking at the right time too BTW.

Kendog
13th September 2009, 13:39
Totally. And Brisbane look like they're peaking at the right time too BTW.

Go the Broncos :rockon:

James Deuce
13th September 2009, 13:49
You say you look forward to another NZ choke in the World Cup. THIS TOURNAMENT IS 2 YEARS AWAY. I think you will find that a lot of talent being blooded in the Air New Zealand Cup will be going on tour in November with the AllBlacks.
You're kidding right? The only team that was at the top of their game was the '87 one. Ever since then the teams fielded in the World Cup have comprised 80% old hacks held on to two years too long and 20% n00bs who have their future chances ruined by not being good enough to fulfill their own potential and get punished for being part of a losing World Cup side.

I don't see Graham Henry breaking that mould unless he has 30 players hiding in the wings who care more about being a team member than walking billboard of self-promotion.

Oh yeah, Richie McCaw is too fat.

ynot slow
13th September 2009, 14:10
You're kidding right? The only team that was at the top of their game was the '87 one. Ever since then the teams fielded in the World Cup have comprised 80% old hacks held on to two years too long and 20% n00bs who have their future chances ruined by not being good enough to fulfill their own potential and get punished for being part of a losing World Cup side.

I don't see Graham Henry breaking that mould unless he has 30 players hiding in the wings who care more about being a team member than walking billboard of self-promotion.

Bloody true re 1987,we also got our arses kicked by the South African rebel tour,that was supposed to mean the "baby blacks" would be hammered and the has been greedy bastards who went to play for dough would be immediately forgiven after the French had beat us.Funny but a few guys named Fitzy,Kirwin,Shelford etc made their marks.

There are people in the squads who are good players against the Irish,Wales,Scotland,Italy and dare i say poms,but against the true top 2 teams(out of top 3 which NZ is included)they may be wanting,if they garner experience by world cup time,because of the loss they are thrown away.Case and point for me is Toeava,I haven't been a fan,but last night when he came on added much needed punch to midfield,maybe he is one of those who have been persavered with and developed his play.I like the fact that we have a few under 21 guys to blood,namely Cruden,can he step up I believe so,will he do it by 2011 not sure,would he be dropped if we fail,I think so.

Dean
13th September 2009, 14:29
[/QUOTE] Hammered once again[/QUOTE]
:yes: Now were talking
[/QUOTE] all the more excruciating.[/QUOTE]
:mellow:
[/QUOTE]He had a shocker overall last night[/QUOTE]
:sweatdrop
[/QUOTE]Single-handedly[/QUOTE]
:gob:
[/QUOTE] the gap is in reality quite a bit wider than that.[/QUOTE]
:crazy:
[/QUOTE]He had his arse felt yet again.[/QUOTE]
Bit to much BrokeBack mountain there buddy, that was intense

Grahameeboy
13th September 2009, 14:53
I think the problem is that NZ has such expectations of the AB....almost an arrogance...like with the last World Cup and they are often very critical of other teams..again arrogance.

In some ways the players seem have a "playboy" status and often Rugby seems to be 3rd place..why do they advertise such a lot?

Wilkinson is a multi millionaire yet he puts rugby first despite injuries....a lot of the AB's who earn a lot less don't seem to have that.

The main probem I think is that the AB's are not motivated by their leaders...

Look at the faces of Chelsea players after beating Stoke..all rich beyond our dreams but still enjoying the game like school boys..

Just googled Graham Henry and after 5 pages....no smiles....and how can the AB's be coached by a guy who as far as I can tell only played Cricket and was until the 90's a Headmaster

Headbanger
13th September 2009, 16:43
Great game of rugby, Enjoyed every minute of it.

Against a lesser team we would have done alright ,even in the first 40, But the boks, awesome, Best team in the world and well deserving of their World Champion status.

Headbanger
13th September 2009, 16:50
I think the problem is that NZ has such expectations of the AB....almost an arrogance...like with the last World Cup and they are often very critical of other teams..again arrogance.

In some ways the players seem have a "playboy" status and often Rugby seems to be 3rd place..why do they advertise such a lot?

Wilkinson is a multi millionaire yet he puts rugby first despite injuries....a lot of the AB's who earn a lot less don't seem to have that.

The main probem I think is that the AB's are not motivated by their leaders...

Look at the faces of Chelsea players after beating Stoke..all rich beyond our dreams but still enjoying the game like school boys..

Just googled Graham Henry and after 5 pages....no smiles....and how can the AB's be coached by a guy who as far as I can tell only played Cricket and was until the 90's a Headmaster

That arrogance about the All Blacks you described is apparent in your entire post. You seem to think that because we aren't always the best in the world that we are failing on every level.

We should be glad we face competition of the calibre that we do. Not writing off the players and coaches because they dont always beat every team. Whats the bet that rugby is the number one driving force behind all All Blacks, and its not about being a playboy?

Just look at what it takes to become an All Black, A lifetime of dedication and focus, and thats to get into one team for a few short years if your supremely talented and lucky, Not a league of times like the soccer.

Pussy
13th September 2009, 16:52

Yeah, but he's got a HAWT missus.....

Grahameeboy
13th September 2009, 17:11
That arrogance about the All Blacks you described is apparent in your entire post. You seem to think that because we aren't always the best in the world that we are failing on every level.

We should be glad we face competition of the calibre that we do. Not writing off the players and coaches because they dont always beat every team. Whats the bet that rugby is the number one driving force behind all All Blacks, and its not about being a playboy?

Just look at what it takes to become an All Black, A lifetime of dedication and focus, and thats to get into one team for a few short years if your supremely talented and lucky, Not a league of times like the soccer.

I agree with a lot of what you say but they did expect to win the last WC...was just talking about the AB's, no other levels.

I actually think that the AB's have the talent to be the best...just feel its down to Leadership....ut

Suspect it takes a lot to be a footballer somehow..just they have longer as they don't suffer the same knocks etc...but I was talking about their passion which I am not sure is driven into the AB's as much as it could be..leadership...I mean at a game Graham Henry is in a glass box...

wickle
13th September 2009, 17:15
Because they started to play as one team not fifteen different teams

PrincessBandit
13th September 2009, 17:17
I think all you chappies should start watching netball instead.
No, not beach volley ball, I said netball.

98tls
13th September 2009, 17:24
2 more years with Wallabies will be enough for Deans to turn them into world cup winners for sure.Henry n co wont even have the lineout sorted by then.Watched the excuse conference after match,pretty much the same lame shit he came out with after our exit from the world cup:eek5:Biggest mistake (besides not winning a lineout in the first 1/2) was playing Stephen Donald.

Headbanger
13th September 2009, 17:34
No, not beach volley ball, I said netball.

I do already, Hell, I'd watch just about anything that consisted of a bunch of fit ladies in tiny skirts. Pity the cameras don't go for the under wear shots any more.

And I think there is room to introduce a little kissing and rubbing into the game.

Headbanger
13th September 2009, 17:35
I agree with a lot of what you say but they did expect to win the last WC...was just talking about the AB's, no other levels...

True enough, It was a massively arrogant campaign, and it failed miserably. Which is an excellent reason to have a superior team beat us, rather then a lesser team show us up for our arrogance.

MisterD
13th September 2009, 17:41

I would if they'd just get rid of that random whistling and arbitrarily giving a free go to one team or the other...wow is there a theme here?

firefighter
13th September 2009, 17:42

Ahhhh, that would actually be soccer......:yawn:

98tls
13th September 2009, 17:47
Ahhhh, that would actually be soccer......:yawn: Thought he meant golf:yawn:

MisterD
13th September 2009, 17:48
the superior code - Rugby League. Great defences (huge hits), well constructed tries

Repeating yourself endlessly like this is not going to make this come true...a game that is big in about four cities worldwide...

Here's how every team in this hemisphere plays:

Tackles 1-3: Big forward trundles up, gets tackled, falls over tries to make it look like the tacklers are stopping him getting up.

Tackle 4&5: Ball gets passed a couple wider to a "back" who may attempt to actually beat a tackler.

Tackle 6: Kick & chase.

How anyone watches 80 minutes of that is a mystery to me.

The Superleague (go Warrington) is a bit better, but not much...

Winston001
13th September 2009, 18:06
Great game of rugby, Enjoyed every minute of it.

Against a lesser team we would have done alright ,even in the first 40, But the boks, awesome, Best team in the world and well deserving of their World Champion status.

Me too. I expected the Boks to win but the All Blacks came back at them and deserve respect for a hard game. They could have won it which surprised me.

Too much pressure on Daniel Carter too. He played well, didn't miss the posts once, but he is only one guy. McCaw is over-rated as a captain but can't fault his commitment and play - he was everywhere.

At the moment the Boks are simply a better team. I don't find their game boring. Its intelligent and it works. As the Aussies found out.

As for the All Blacks, they are still by far the dominant team in world rugby. In Tri-nations they have won 41 out of 61 encounters. SA - won 26, Oz - won 24.

Indeed, a few years ago they won with such monotonous regularity that I didn't bother watching. Bit like the Ranfurly Shield when Auckland won nearly every game for 10 years. At least nowadays we have a proper competition.

short-circuit
13th September 2009, 18:28
Repeating yourself endlessly like this is not going to make this come true...a game that is big in about four cities worldwide...

Tackles 1-3: Big forward trundles up, gets tackled, falls over tries to make it look like the tacklers are stopping him getting up.

Tackle 4&5: Ball gets passed a couple wider to a "back" who may attempt to actually beat a tackler.

The Superleague (go Warrington) is a bit better, but not much...

I wouldn't mind better that your understanding of Union is just as superficial...it's only because of this that New Zealanders continue to tune in to such shit

Grahameeboy
13th September 2009, 18:48

True enough, It was a massively arrogant campaign, and it failed miserably. Which is an excellent reason to have a superior team beat us, rather then a lesser team show us up for our arrogance.

So how are the AB's going to beat superior teams?

Elysium
13th September 2009, 18:51
I'm glad we lost. We need to lose a few games to expose the problems and try to blood some new guys before the world cup. I've always thought the All Blacks bombed out of world cups when they were on winning streaks.

Look what happened to Australia when they last won it, they lost so many games leading up to the world cup but out of no where they dominated and won games. Perhaps we need to loose this mentality that we're expected to win all the time?

Or maybe just too many pretty boys in the All Blacks these days :baby:

Best player-McCaw because he showed the rest how to get in and get dirty.
Worst player-Nonu-handling worse then his bloody hair.

short-circuit
13th September 2009, 18:52

With great difficulty - wooden spoons anyone?

But seriously, who cares - Union's gay

Elysium
13th September 2009, 18:53
With great difficulty - wooden spoons anyone?

But seriously, who cares - Union's gay

Not as gay as AFL! Go those tight shorts!

Hitcher
13th September 2009, 18:56
The "coaching" team needs to take some blame: picking players out of position (Keiran Reid and Stephen Donald), lack of lineout strategy and practice, basic skills woeful, game plan undetectable.

The players need to take some blame: it's not just another game, you over-indulged pussies. Don't believe everything your PR advisers tell you or write about you. If I hear that the All Blacks have had an epiphany about "fronting up" for next Saturday's test, I shall be moved to violins.

The captain needs to take some blame. Richie you need to figure out what's happening on the park, and figure out a Plan B when Plan A is clearly not working. Pick and go works. So do short lineouts. Forget about the tri-nations, just win the fucking game. To do that you need to score more points than your opposition. It's simple really.

You were worse than the scoreline suggests. Pick a form team from the NPC for next week's test against Australia -- including the coaches.

Elysium
13th September 2009, 19:02
You were worse than the scoreline suggests. Pick a form team from the NPC for next week's test against Australia -- including the coaches.

Well a lot of teams to pick from this year, hell even little old manawatu almost beat Auckland today so there seems to be a lot of talent out there at the moment.

Hitcher
13th September 2009, 19:04
there seems to be a lot of talent out there at the moment.

Talent and passion. Except in the ABs.

short-circuit
The "coaching" team needs to take some blame: picking players out of position (Keiran Reid and Stephen Donald), lack of lineout strategy and practice, basic skills woeful, game plan undetectable.

The players need to take some blame: it's not just another game, you over-indulged pussies. Don't believe everything your PR advisers tell you or write about you. If I hear that the All Blacks have had an epiphany about "fronting up" for next Saturday's test, I shall be moved to violins.

The captain needs to take some blame. Richie you need to figure out what's happening on the park, and figure out a Plan B when Plan A is clearly not working. Pick and go works. So do short lineouts. Forget about the tri-nations, just win the fucking game. To do that you need to score more points than your opposition. It's simple really.

Yep to all of the above, but I say it again: It's only Union.

If you want a truly Gladiatorial sport with hits, skill, speed and brilliant spontaneity then open your other eye and start watching League :msn-wink::niceone:

Grahameeboy

But but isn't Plan B "she'll be right"

Hitcher
13th September 2009, 19:06
start watching League

I was forced to get a fix last night after the ABs wimped out. The best game of the weekend was the Storm taking Manly to bits. Ouch.

short-circuit
13th September 2009, 19:15
I was forced to get a fix last night after the ABs wimped out. The best game of the weekend was the Storm taking Manly to bits. Ouch.

Brilliant performance by the Storm. I'm hoping for an Eels upset tonight - when they click they are dazzling

Headbanger
13th September 2009, 19:18

By scoring more points:crazy:

Grahameeboy
13th September 2009, 19:19
By scoring more points:crazy:

I thought it was "Trys"

Headbanger
13th September 2009, 19:24
I thought it was "Trys"

Nope, definitely points, There are a number of ways of scoring points. the idea is to simply have more of them then the opposing team at the final whistle (or siren).

short-circuit
13th September 2009, 19:25
I thought it was "Trys"

No your thinking of Rugby League. Not the infringement and kick fest that is Rugby Union

MisterD
13th September 2009, 19:29
...it's only because of this that New Zealanders continue to tune in to such shit

Have you checked the figures for the crowds and viewers at for the NPC this season? The AB's have been serving up tripe, but Auckland V Manawatu this arvo was a belter...

short-circuit
13th September 2009, 19:36
Have you checked the figures for the crowds and viewers at for the NPC this season? The AB's have been serving up tripe, but Auckland V Manawatu this arvo was a belter...

Blind, dyed in the wool, indoctrinated sheep....

Religion: The Opiate of the Masses

Swoop
13th September 2009, 20:37
I do already, Hell, I'd watch just about anything that consisted of a bunch of fit ladies in tiny skirts. Pity the cameras don't go for the under wear shots any more.

And I think there is room to introduce a little kissing and rubbing into the game.
Do they swap shirts at the end of a final? Might have to tune in for that if they do... :blip:

Winston001
13th September 2009, 20:55

I agree although I'm prepared to watch a few games and be proven wrong. Used to watch league a bit in the days when union was basically rucking and not much running. However rugby union today is a much more complex and varied game than league and IMHO is better entertainment.

Went to a Warriors match once and was genuinely surprised. Most of the players stood around doing nothing for much of the game. You don't see that on TV because the camera focuses on the 5/6 guys in action. The lack of activity made a very odd spectacle.

Having said that, league has it fans and thats fine.

oldrider
13th September 2009, 22:38
All Blacks: Hammered once again, and comprehensively so. Don’t be fooled the scoreline – the Boks took the foot off their throats for long periods of the game.

Face it, they've been a team with no composure for more than 3 seasons now. No international sides (beyond the minnows) fear them. Making their Haka all the more excruciating.

Really looking forward to another momentous World Cup choke, but not as much as I'm enjoying the constant excitement and quality of games on offer throughout the NRL competition in the superior code - Rugby League. Great defences (huge hits), well constructed tries (which decide games as opposed to shots at goal for infringements all the time).

RIP Rugby Union.

"All of this" from some one who isn't interested in Rugby Union? Face it S-C, you are obviously wild about the game! :blip:

Did you get rejected by a petty official or something way back? :crybaby:

short-circuit
14th September 2009, 07:41
brilliant performance by the storm. I'm hoping for an eels upset tonight - when they click they are dazzling

electric eels - game of the round!!!

MisterD
14th September 2009, 08:04

You don't get it do you? As I've pointed out in these inter-code arguments before, the vital ingredients to a good comp are local rivalries and competitive games...that's what this year's NPC has in common with the ARL and NRL.

MisterD
14th September 2009, 08:07
I agree although I'm prepared to watch a few games and be proven wrong.

I quite often watch the Superleague when sky puts it on of a morning if Warrington or either of the Hull teams are playing (shall I repeat myself on the local rivalries argument?).

Fundamentally they are different games, rugby is about a contest for possession, league is about taking turns to try to score...

short-circuit
14th September 2009, 09:33
league is about taking turns to try to score...

Anyone that understands the game knows that the defences in the game are about creating pressure and turning over possession as well. Last night's game saw Saint George with 14 completed sets to Paramatta's 1 in the first 25 minutes. Saint George played conservatively but Para's defense was brilliant and soaked it up.

St. George's game plan was about posession and field position and waiting for errors (a negative style) and it didn't work.

A negative, boring, spoiling approach is often successful in Rugby Union - again, another reason why the sport is truly shit

MisterD
14th September 2009, 09:43
Yeah really...if the game were any more one-dimensional they'd get rid of the ball and play bullrush.

short-circuit
14th September 2009, 09:48
Yeah really...if the game were any more one-dimensional they'd get rid of the ball and play bullrush.

Better than a game so convoluted that the referees have to coach the players through the game.

Half the time players, coaches and commentators don't know what's going on. The other half of the time the ball's out of play and the fat boys are sucking in the big ones

Winston001
14th September 2009, 16:25

No no no - that's soccer. :eek: The so-called "beautiful game" could be wonderful if the poor beggars were able to score goals. Consider it - a match between two top teams with truly extraordinary skills - and it can end Nil - Nil. Or on a really exciting day 3 - 3. What's that about??!! :doh:

I want to like soccer but watching 90 minutes of running back and forth with no goals just doesn't work.

The easiest answer would be to make the goal posts higher and wider. Or remove the off-side rule.

MisterD
14th September 2009, 16:35
I want to like soccer but watching 90 minutes of running back and forth with no goals just doesn't work.

You mean to say, you never realised why they have so many songs and so many fights? It's because nothing ever happens on the pitch until you have to go for a piss 'cos of all the beer you drank on the train...

Some of my most fun days ever were travelling away with the Tranmere (Birkenhead Peoples Army) boys...the actual match was merely incidental to the whole thing...

The easiest answer would be to make the goal posts higher and wider. Or remove the off-side rule.

I never realised you were an American.

short-circuit
19th September 2009, 09:19
electric eels - game of the round!!!

And again - http://www.3news.co.nz/Parramattas-finals-fairytale-continues/tabid/423/articleID/121779/cat/70/Default.aspx

McJim
19th September 2009, 09:44
Rugby is Awesome - Southland Stags FTW!

League - WTF? 13 Flankers hitting each other? Wow that's interesting......NOT!

short-circuit
19th September 2009, 09:46
Rugby is Awesome - Southland Stags FTW!!

Southland Fags more like it

Winston001
19th September 2009, 10:01
Southland Fags more like it

Easy boy, easy. We can track your ip addy :mad: Striples burn nicely......

short-circuit
19th September 2009, 10:05
Easy boy, easy. We can track your ip addy :mad: Striples burn nicely......

You wanna wait till tomorrow morning after the Wallabies have dished out the wooden spoon to the mighty Ball Sacks...I'll be on form

MisterD
20th September 2009, 09:45
Oh it's all gone quiet over there, it's all gone quiet over there...

MIXONE
20th September 2009, 09:58
You wanna wait till tomorrow morning after the Wallabies have dished out the wooden spoon to the mighty Ball Sacks...I'll be on form

Got your foot out of your mouth yet?

oldrider
20th September 2009, 10:24

Hello!................. I guess that's SC "on form" then! :shutup:

Actually I feel a bit disappointed that AB's didn't lose!

I think it would have been better for NZ rugby longer-term if they had! :shifty:

Skyryder
20th September 2009, 12:15
Hello!................. I guess that's SC "on form" then! :shutup:

Actually I feel a bit disappointed that AB's didn't lose!

I think it would have been better for NZ rugby longer-term if they had! :shifty:

Agreed on this................as per usual on Rugby.

Still on the night the best team won. Carter's boot gave the All Blacks an early edge but all in all Ritchies team looked sharper and I might add much fitter.

The Aussies seemed lost and there was a noticable lack of support in the second phase that resulted in too many turnovers.

But what realy pissed me off was my TV went phut in the late afternoon so it was off to club with the plebes and a hangover this morning. Mind you I'm blaming Henry for that. Gota blame him for something even if he does win.:2guns:

Skyryder

Headbanger
20th September 2009, 13:54
Was Deans allowed back on the plane to Aussie?

Trudes
20th September 2009, 16:28
Go the Broncos!!! ;)

hayd3n
20th September 2009, 16:32
huh whats r-u-g-b-y?`

short-circuit
20th September 2009, 17:10
Oh it's all gone quiet over there, it's all gone quiet over there...

Got your foot out of your mouth yet?

Just wait for my dredge of this thread come the World Cup - you're gonna love it

MisterD
20th September 2009, 17:55
Just wait for my dredge of this thread come the World Cup - you're gonna love it

Quite possibly, given that I'll be supporting England...