PDA

View Full Version : Badger on a motorcycle

thebadger
13th September 2009, 20:16
Hi everyone :)

My name's Sian and I'm new to this whole crazy world of motorcycling. My boyfriend rides and finally managed to persuade me to have a go...and I'm hooked.

Right now I haven't sat my basic handling/learners etc because I've broken my foot (unrelated to biking!) So I have a lot of time to think about what kind of bike I'm going to buy when I finally actually do get a license.

Prior to the broken foot thing I'd been practising on my flatmate's FXR. Partner and flatmate have convinced me to look at 250s...have been sizing up a few - I like the Honda VTR, Suzuki Bandit, Honda Hornet, GSX250.

Anyway I have 2-3 weeks to kill before I can even consider getting on a bike, so the boy suggested I sign up here and get some opinions, listen to some stories (and hopefully not talk myself out of buying a bike)!

Sian

Hard Nut
13th September 2009, 20:39
Hi and welcome thebadger.

Go the VTR 250 Top choice and a tough little bugger, hard to kill and go like mad............reliable too:yes:

Nuts

rickstv
13th September 2009, 20:43
Welcome in Badger, hope the foot heals quickly for you.

There's a lot of info here for you, though you have to sort through and discard the shit to find the good stuff.

Keep us all updated on your choice of bike and how you're progressing through your rider training. Use the search facility to search NASS, an excellent (free)
rider training night with a short ride thrown in.:woohoo:
Best of luck
Rick.

Markw336
13th September 2009, 21:06
welcome to KB enjoy your stay with us...

Ypawa
13th September 2009, 21:43
welcome to KB...Sian. Enjoy the site

hutchy52
13th September 2009, 22:06
Hi Sian

Hope your foot heals up quick and you can get back into it soon :)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EIyixC9NsLI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EIyixC9NsLI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Swoop
14th September 2009, 09:11
Hi Sian and welcome to KB!

The the Honda VTR is a great little machine and would be a great first bike providing you are the right size to fit it.

Heal up quickly! Summer is on the way!!!:eek:

:ride:

bezajel
14th September 2009, 18:57
Welcome! I'm all for more girls on bikes! Wheee!

That's all :)

Sparky Bills
14th September 2009, 19:01
Welcome. A VTR250 is an awsome bike for starting off.
GO HONDA!! :jerry:

vifferman
14th September 2009, 19:10
Hi, BadgerWoman! :wavey:
Wulcum to Kiwi the Biker.
Yeah, VTR is a good choice, coz it's like a Mini VFR bike. :niceone:

KrazyGixxerBoy
15th September 2009, 20:22
Hey, welcome to the site! Great to see more motorcycle converts. As everyone has said, the VTR would be a good first bike. Good luck with whatever you go with.

YellowDog
15th September 2009, 20:29
Hi Sian

Hope your foot heals up quick and you can get back into it soon :)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EIyixC9NsLI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EIyixC9NsLI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Most annoying Youtube soundtrack ever!

Welcome to thebadger - heal quick and get out there and enjoy the sun.

psydkick
16th September 2009, 11:52
Most annoying Youtube soundtrack ever!

Welcome to thebadger - heal quick and get out there and enjoy the sun.

you want annoying, try the flash version. it loops!!! eek

hi n welcome badger

naphazoline
22nd September 2009, 19:14
Welcome onboard KB Badger.:)

thebadger
26th September 2009, 16:48
woop! Just gotta do the scratchy test on Monday, then I'm gonna look at getting myself a bike. Have seen a few I like so far. I've decided against a hornet (didn't feel right sitting on it) so I'm now deciding between a VTR250 and a Yamaha Zeal. Will keep you posted! :D

Number One
26th September 2009, 17:50
Excellent another female soldier for the cause! Welcome and enjoy. :sunny:

Congrats on passing :yes: In no time you'll be test riding :blip:

cave weta
26th September 2009, 18:12
Hi Sian and welcome. Funny avatar!

Now listen carefully Doug. - GET A TRAIL BIKE......

You can fall off them without it costing you a grand
You can have fun riding them hard and not be breaking the law.
They make a brand especialy for girls (Honda) ask Greg Power.
You are safer in the city on a trailie cos you can see and be seen better.
You meet nicer people on Trail Bikes.:eek:
You learn to ride faster cos you can skid and slide in the dirt.
All the bits and pieces are more accessable so you learn more.
Even the dumbest people will never ask you if its a Harley.

Fatt Max
27th September 2009, 16:50
Welcome aboard mate,

Hope the foot gets well soon so you can get out there and give it heaps

You will do well here, these KB people are brilliant

Cheers

thebadger
28th September 2009, 11:15
Just passed the theory test :D - not a scratchy anymore, as of today where I did it it's on a computer! Anyway, I got my licence, now I just need a bike - still working on that one ;)

sil3nt
28th September 2009, 13:45
Hey Sian i know you! Hope you don't take too many lessons from Aidan. How many times has that boy crashed now!? :bleh:

Congratulations on getting the license. The bike you really want is a GPX 250!! Come down and you can ride mine then you will fall in love :yes:

thebadger
28th September 2009, 16:42
but the only person you could possibly be is John? Am I right? :2thumbsup

And don't be mean, Aidan hasn't had a crash in ages! ;) he has a new bike though (not sure if he told you). And he is very full of sensibleness and advice when it comes to teaching me to ride!

But anyway, I'm hoping to get myself sorted with a bike by the end of the holidays. Until then, I'm gonna whack the L plates on my flatmates FXR and have some fun :D

sil3nt
28th September 2009, 19:44
but the only person you could possibly be is John? Am I right? :2thumbsup

And don't be mean, Aidan hasn't had a crash in ages! ;) he has a new bike though (not sure if he told you). And he is very full of sensibleness and advice when it comes to teaching me to ride!

But anyway, I'm hoping to get myself sorted with a bike by the end of the holidays. Until then, I'm gonna whack the L plates on my flatmates FXR and have some fun :DGood guess seen as ya barely know me! Have fun on the FXR but stay off the motorway with that L plate!

thebadger
1st October 2009, 17:15
woop! I've been riding all around Mt Eden on the FXR...feeling pretty good. Time to get a bike of my own :D The boy has tomorrow off work and I'm on holiday so we're going to cruise around and look at lots of bikes tomorrow and Saturday. Will keep you posted ;)

RavenR44
1st October 2009, 19:11
woop! I've been riding all around Mt Eden on the FXR...feeling pretty good. Time to get a bike of my own :D The boy has tomorrow off work and I'm on holiday so we're going to cruise around and look at lots of bikes tomorrow and Saturday. Will keep you posted ;)

Officially I shouldn't be welcoming you as I'm newer than a very new thing on international extremely new day myself, but hey, bugger it, welcome anyway.

I just had a thought (unusual as that is)...

The round-ish boy bits of your blokie must be the... (wait for it... ) Badger's Nadgers. :D

Well it seemed funny at the time. Tell you what, I promise not to attempt humour in a welcome thread ever again. And apologise to Mr Badger on my behalf for referencing his sacred sac bits, before I get moderated off this thread entirely.

Me.

thebadger
10th October 2009, 12:42
I finally bought a bike! 2000 VTR250. It's blue. Very nice. Will post pics soon :D I'm a happy girl!

sil3nt
10th October 2009, 15:12
Awesome! Good choice of bike as well. :niceone:

thebadger
19th December 2009, 19:59
Hi everyone, thought I'd revive this thread and update you on my adventures (and misadventures)

I've been riding just about every day on my VTR...my boyfriend has been helping me with lots of hints and tips, teaching me how to maintain it etc etc. I must admit to whining like a little baby the first time he made me clean and re-grease the chain, but I'm a pro at it now (a new paddock stand helps a lot!)

We've been trying to go one big ride every weekend. We've done SH16 and Old North Road, SH2 and Miranda Road, Scenic Drive and Piha Road and out through Clevedon out to Maraetai. From the first time he pointed me down one of those twisty roads and I attacked it scared shitless, I've gotten much more used to it. And I've been loving it. Except Scenic Drive, I'm not doing that again anytime soon!

I also done a couple of small group rides, and a huge group ride - the Auckland ACC protest! Met lots of awesome people.

I've dropped my bike once (the week after I bought it...) but it got off pretty much scot-free - replaced the clutch lever and that was about it. Haven't had any other incidents apart from a couple of airhead soccer-mums pulling out in front of me. I made my displeasure clear to them :D

I'm a teacher so now I'm on holiday for the rest of the summer, so I'm looking forward to a summer full of riding and gaining confidence.

:D Sian

The Everlasting
19th December 2009, 20:08
Good to hear your having fun with the bike! :D