PDA

View Full Version : Frame certification for registration - who can do them?

cc rider
14th September 2009, 00:22
I have a 1936 250 Triumph I've been restoring.
Recently I've been getting the frame welded. Welding is by a certified welder.
But who do you take it to to get passed for registration inspection? An engineer? Or can my welder do it?
Would they have to be approved by VICROADS (local rego/road worthy mob)

I know it may be different in NZ, compared to Aus. But I can't seem to get a straight answer here. Bike is too old for them to get their little minds around.

I'm interested in what exactly they would be 'doing' to my frame to test it.
Does the engine have to be in it? May be a dumb question (won't be my last either), but I don't know how it works.

Any info appreciated. I'm still trying to learn as much as I can. I have no workshop manual, just part of a parts list & a few pics of finished ones, similar to my model. They all look different.

cc

ready4whatever
14th September 2009, 00:27
Also do i need a cert for different handle bars on my bike..

CookMySock
14th September 2009, 06:26
Hiya cc

Here it would probably have to be certified from scratch by a what we call a "Low Volume Certifier". http://www.lvvta.org.nz/

I'd suggest, either going to see VICROADS and ask them, or else talk to someone doing(done?) the same thing as you and see if they can help.

Steve

Voltaire
14th September 2009, 07:22
I have a 1936 250 Triumph I've been restoring.
Recently I've been getting the frame welded. Welding is by a certified welder.
But who do you take it to to get passed for registration inspection? An engineer? Or can my welder do it?
Would they have to be approved by VICROADS (local rego/road worthy mob)

I know it may be different in NZ, compared to Aus. But I can't seem to get a straight answer here. Bike is too old for them to get their little minds around.

I'm interested in what exactly they would be 'doing' to my frame to test it.
Does the engine have to be in it? May be a dumb question (won't be my last either), but I don't know how it works.

Any info appreciated. I'm still trying to learn as much as I can. I have no workshop manual, just part of a parts list & a few pics of finished ones, similar to my model. They all look different.

cc

ON this site you will get lots of different opinions, many from people who have no idea what they are talking about.....ten minutes of trawling thru the bike ravings will tell you this.

I have rebuilt two bikes with no plates or history.
I suggest you contact the Vintage Car Club motorcycle section.
Don't go to any of the testing stations as most of them have no idea what they are looking at....

Personally I would not even bother with an engineers report if all they have done is like for like repairs.

Voltaire
14th September 2009, 07:23
Hiya cc

Here it would probably have to be certified from scratch by a what we call a "Low Volume Certifier". http://www.lvvta.org.nz/

I'd suggest, either going to see VICROADS and ask them, or else talk to someone doing(done?) the same thing as you and see if they can help.

Steve

Have you done this?

CookMySock
14th September 2009, 07:35
Have you done this?No, but I have researched it because I wanted to build bikes from scratch.

If you have some experience, perhaps you might offer some support or encouraging words, rather than deliberately inviting an argument.

Steve

Voltaire
14th September 2009, 08:59
No, but I have researched it because I wanted to build bikes from scratch.

If you have some experience, perhaps you might offer some support or encouraging words, rather than deliberately inviting an argument.

Steve

I did and have done previously ....
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=98698

Why would I invite an argument in the Classic section?
I leave that to the intenet bikers in the other forums.

cc rider
16th September 2009, 01:17
thanks for suggestions of looking into Vintage M/C Club.

Unfortunately I bought my trump from the guy who 'suposedly' is the expert on this bike, in the club. He's the one who gave me BSA parts, tired to tell me Enfield wheels (& wrong size) were trump & gave me the 'reconditioned' gearbox in pieces in a tub.
Me's a little jaded.

But am going to chat with some of the Historic Race guys at the next meet.

Is hard as all I have is receipt of purchase. Frame is not original; gearbox is a 350 & bike has no known registration history.

Should be fun. :laugh:

Does anyone know what they do to a frame to 'test' it? I presume they will be testing the new welding?

cc

Voltaire
16th September 2009, 10:40
I too have a Triumph Project bike, a 51 Thunderbird.
Frame and engine are not matching, there is a plate but I think it came witht he guard and not the bike.
The guys at the club here in Auckland...and two of them work at vinning places....told me to get a letter from the police stating they had no interest in it, have some piece of paper saying you paid for it, what it is and who you got it off.
Get as much info on this model in the way of pictures and description and then find a sympathetic vinning place...one that does old bikes and/or hot rods/classic cars.
Saying this ...my info is at least 3 years old so things could have changed.
As for teh frame....get it welded, grind back the welds and paint it.
What value is an engineers report on a frame that was formed and brazed 60 years ago and welded last week.
I'd be interested in some pics and more info.....doh...just looked at your profile, cool pics and great progress. What model is it...Tiger 90????
cheers

CookMySock
16th September 2009, 11:23
As for teh frame....get it welded, grind back the welds and paint it.What is the logic behind this?

I thought this might set off alarm bells with the certifier.

Steve

Voltaire
16th September 2009, 12:27
What is the logic behind this?

I thought this might set off alarm bells with the certifier.

Steve

I took my 1971 R75/5 frame into to F1 engineering and they set it up on their machine and it even gets a cert for the Vinning guys....if it needed it.
I took it there as I had a crash with a sidecar on on it and wanted to check the alignment.
It was all pretty close....and the factory were never that fussy to start with.
Cost $ 450.00.
A pre was Triumph I'd check with string and a ruler.
Cost $ 0.
Its a pre war bike with less than 20 HP....
If it was yours I'd suggest you take it to a certifier, get the run around and pay lots of money...but to a fellow classic bike fan I'd suggest spending their hard earned money on other things instead of Nanny State Regulatory Bullshit.

CookMySock
16th September 2009, 12:33
So what is the logic behind getting it welded, welds ground back, and painted?

Steve

Voltaire
16th September 2009, 12:50
So what is the logic behind getting it welded, welds ground back, and painted?

Steve

Makes it look nice.....

Voltaire
16th September 2009, 21:54
Hey CC Rider...your mailbox is full....so to answer your question.
Hi, I restored a 1958 T110 from a box of bits when I was doing my oe in London in the early 90's.
Sadly its not a runner..as it nipped up one day on the motorway and I got as far as fitting a later top end.....but one day...
heres a pic I posted last year in the Classic Section under Triumph Stories
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=112945&d=1229062691
Your project looks to be progressing well...Tiger 90???

cc rider
16th September 2009, 23:45
Your project looks to be progressing well...Tiger 90???:o Oops! I know, sorry about that Voltaire. Have made room for new mail.

Is an L2/1 250cc. It was the model before the T70, so there are interchangable parts. Plus I'm not building a back to original bike, just a one-off really. Something to suit my tastes.

Yeah, the pics are really just of a quick throw together, to see what I had & a rough idea of how it may look. As I bought it at a swap meet & most of it was still at the guys place. I called it my box of potential. :cool:
But the photos from the internet give you a bit of an idea of it's real potential. Should look the bizz when finished.

I'm still going to pull the engine down, as it was supposedly rebuilt by the last owner.
Old/used piston was a dead giveaway. :argh:

Luckily my person welding is also a silver & goldsmith, so tidy welds are garanteed. :2thumbsup

Would be funny to see my 'bicycle' frame in a jig. It's so small/light.

I'll have to ask the guys at the track meet if there is any avenues for minimizing the 'paperwork'.

I'll post how I go with rego requirements.

The T110 looks cool. Is it the original matt grey paint job? My seat ain't going to be as comfy as yours. :lol:

cc

surfer
17th September 2009, 21:10
For an LVVTA certifier talk to Alex on 09 4168932. He comes highly recommended, he will answer your queries and also offers a mobile service for doing cert work.

cc rider
17th September 2009, 21:21
hey surfer

:cool: appreciate recommendation, but I'm in Aus unfortunately.
pardon my ignorance, but what is LVVTA?

cc

cc rider
17th September 2009, 21:30
surfer
just noticed you have an xs. very nice. :2thumbsup Had one in the garage years ago. are a few resto jobs getting around over here.

cc

surfer
18th September 2009, 08:10
hey surfer

:cool: appreciate recommendation, but I'm in Aus unfortunately.
pardon my ignorance, but what is LVVTA?

cc

low volume vehicle testing association - government agency that deals with anything not standard for motorbikes in terms of ensuring they are road worthy. Problem is it is a bit subjective and depends on the certifier you end up working with.

Having got my bike road legal and getting wof, some jobs worthy phoned up NZTransport and complained about my bike to saying it shouldn't be on road. Turns out he was a LVVTA certifier and complained to NZTransport who put a note against my bike for the next time it went in for a wof. Fortunately the guy that I take my bike to for a wof laughed at NZTransport and put them straight.

cc rider
23rd September 2009, 02:24
lol surfer

sounds like departmental paper envy. Glad it all worked out for ya.

Some people just don't want to see other people doing something they love.

I have a heads up on some one to talk to about what I 'might' have to do.

Will be along way off, but as you know, bureaucracy will make it even longer.....:argh: