PDA

View Full Version : RGV250 for a first bike...

magicmonkey
14th September 2009, 12:51
Just spied one of these (vj21, 1990) at a price I can almost afford and I was just wondering what people think of them for a learners bike? I understand that they're probably at the more powerful end of the 250 scale but having never ridden before I haven't a clue if that's something which should scare me or excite me :p

babysteps
14th September 2009, 13:12
That all depends if you want to learn how to ride properly or be a crash statistic.

In otherwords, no.

magicmonkey
14th September 2009, 13:24
heh, fair enough. Probably best for me to save up until I can afford something a bit more suited to me then :p

crash99
14th September 2009, 13:26
Well said babysteps - with a 16yr old son who is also trolling Tard me for his first bike there are plenty of scary ones out there. Mind you, my first one was an RD250 but I suspect about 1/2 the power (or elss) of the RGV!
Good point though Magicmonkey - what is a good starter bike? CBR125? (Its got to look the part too . . . ) I'm sure the question has been asked before on KB - maybe just do a search. Good luck - and let us know what you end up with! :niceone:

rachprice
14th September 2009, 13:29
Scared and excited!

Depends on what sort of person you are, I personally believe my riding is better than what it would have been because I learnt on an RGV

Latte
14th September 2009, 13:30
Plenty of people have learnt on smokers, myself included. Admitted it's a bigger step than starting off on a small 4, but then the step to a full bike once the time comes is smaller.

But, if you are struggling to afford the purchase price then I'm guessing constant maintenance and much higher running costs won't be what you want to hear either. And cheap smokers are generally tired smokers (read: will need $$ soon if not now).

McWild
14th September 2009, 14:02
Assuming you're brand new to bikes (although I am of course aware that assumption is the mother of all fuck ups), I wouldn't recommend one to you; but I also won't tell you not to if you're sure it's something you want.

In my opinion, and experience, having a 2 stroke is a very different experience to having a 4 stroke.
Any RGV you are going to get for a price that's similar to a ZXR or CBR is going to need maintenance at some point, probably sooner rather than later.
You are going to hear curious little noises. It is going to run differently 2 months after you first rode it, and run differently again about a month after that.
There are lots of itty bitty little things you will learn about them, and strokers in general.
Chances are if you are a brand new learner, and are put on one of them, you are going to nana it instead of thrash it everywhere, and if you are a learner you are perhaps more likely to be commuting and doing little trips rather than epic missions through twisty roads on it. This is normal, but not what they are made for doing. If you run them on fully synthetic oil and have an eye for maintenance they will do it fine, but you would get more enjoyment doing the same thing on a ZXCBFZGSXR250. They like a rough hand, and they like you to have confidence in both their and your own abilities.

Also beware that if you don't have the target of your affections checked properly out before you buy, you could be setting yourself up for disappointment. I know I would be really gutted if I just bought what I thought was a minter, rode it for a week, and then had it seize, to require a top end rebuild. While not altogether hard, or necessarily expensive, it would be a right pain in the you know where.

If you're considering a RGV250 (or NSR or TZR or RS), the power isn't what you need to be worrying about if you're a sensible, responsible person. Although it's arguable that a bike like those will change that in due course.
Yes they are fast, but compared to the 2 strokes of old, the power delivery is as smooth as a single cylinder 4 stroke. Depending on the state of tune of the one you get, it's very unlikely they'll be breaking 55hp anyway.

It's everything else that ownership entails that you need to consider.

If I were to make a recommendation on a first bike, I would say either:

- CBR250, ZXR250. Nice revvy little 4 stroke, plenty of power but nothing extreme. Look good. Mostly reliable, though should they require serious engine work = $$$ Sound nice. Good introduction if you think you might move on to a sports 600. Their cousins, the Hornet 250s and the Bandit 250s and so on are also very good, probably more reliable due to lower state of tune, and good god are they comfy.

- RG150. I started on one (well, after my scooter). They are beasts. Single cylinder 2 stroke 150. So much knowledge about them in NZ it's crazy. Simple as anything to work on, which means low low maintenance costs. Depending on what sort of a runner you get, they can be reliable, and can cruise all day around town when good oil is used. Can also use the powerband around town without risking loss of license. Cheap as chips to buy and good resale. Can race in streetstock class if that way inclined with about a thousand other RGs. Not quite as straight-line fast as ZXRs and so on, but still plenty quick enough. Buy one! Or even buy mine as it's for sale lol.

- 250 twin (VTR250, Spada etc). This is what to get if you want something bulletproof, reasonably quick, and comfy. Very good idea, though I'm not particularly that way inclined. I don't like the recent 2008/9/10 stuff but if you have money for days and want something brand new you might as well. But I wouldn't. Personally.

Sorry for the marathon post. My bike wouldn't start when I tried to leave this morning so I'm avoiding doing homework with my "day off". Win!

javawocky
14th September 2009, 14:11
If you have no riding experience I can highly un-recommend this bike for you. It will probably just scare you out of riding all together or get you into some serious trouble. :Police:

Unless you really level headed and are prepared to progressively learn in a parking lot with some good supervision and are up for a challenge. If you do choose it you sure won't be bored soon.

My Wife started from scratch on my RG150 and dropped it a few times (parking). Because of her hight and the sports layout its the ideal absolute beginner bike. Because of my MX experience it was dead easy to pick up after many years off a bike.

Wife now as a Yamaha Scorpio and loves it. Even I like taking it for a ride for the shops on occasion. :niceone:

magicmonkey
14th September 2009, 14:20
heh, don't appologise for the marathon post, that much more information than I had bargained on :D

Glad you mentioned the CBR250's as I'm thinking of heading in that direction and that's pretty much what I want from a first bike, I'm thinking they'll do me well while I'm learning and I can upgrade once I feel more comfortable (that's a timeframe I'm probably going to measure in years!).

SMOKEU
14th September 2009, 16:00
If you don't know how to ride then buy a cheap small bike like a CG125 or an AX100. It's really easy to fuck yourself up on a fast 250cc bike. A lot of learners drop their bikes at some stage and the cost of replacement fairings will bring tears to your eyes.

Insanity_rules
14th September 2009, 16:57
Having owned one (well a slightly older RG Walter Wolf) I can say with all confidence its one hell of a machine. I wouldn't go for one if your looking for reliable transport but as a toy they're dynamite. As to jumping on one as a fresh rider I'd say start a little less powerful. If you were a learner with some experience I'd say go for it. If you like the whole 2 smoke thing the RG150 is a hell of a hoot (unless your over say 5'9) and a very good start.

Ender EnZed
14th September 2009, 17:19
Unless you're bizarrely sensible for someone who wants to start on an RGV you'll probably die on it.

I'd recommend a nice, unfaired v-twin. Easier to ride at low rpm than a 4 cylinder and every bit as quick on a twisty road once you get some confidence. You WILL drop your first bike. Fairings might break.

I started on a Honda Spada and thought enough of it to buy one just the same after I crashed the first one (going slower than I would've been on an RGV).

magicmonkey
14th September 2009, 17:37
The p[lan at the moment is to get something with farings and just take them off until I get a lot more confident. I'm pretty sure I'll do something stupid with it but I figure that no farings and some crash bungs should mininise my stupidity to affordable levels!

javawocky
15th September 2009, 07:41
The p[lan at the moment is to get something with farings and just take them off until I get a lot more confident. I'm pretty sure I'll do something stupid with it but I figure that no farings and some crash bungs should mininise my stupidity to affordable levels!

Another option might be to buy a lesser bike for a few months to cut your teeth on and then just sell it and get the RGV.

The upside of a 2stroke is that there isn't much power down low, so for learning it might be an advantage

The downside of a 2stroke is the :devil2: kick which comes in when the revs get higher and power starts to build quickly. Its enough to make you smile lots or poop your pants lots depending on your experience. Once you have experience a 2stroker its something you don't forget easily.

Your call young Padawan, wisely you must choose.

TygerTung
15th September 2009, 21:37
I would recomend something like a CG125 or an AX100 etc. Cheap, won't get too badly damaged when you drop it, well you probably will, most learner riders do. I wouldn't get something like a CBR250, they write off really easily. Too much plastic.

magicmonkey
16th September 2009, 09:21
I would recomend something like a CG125 or an AX100 etc. Cheap, won't get too badly damaged when you drop it, well you probably will, most learner riders do. I wouldn't get something like a CBR250, they write off really easily. Too much plastic.

Thing is, those bikes are tiny!! I'm 6 foot 4 and after having a look at a few of the GN250's which are buzzing around town all day I've come to the conclusion that I won't be able to ride a bike that size without having my knees around my ears!

rachprice
16th September 2009, 09:41
I am the same, I'm not excessively tall but have really long legs so its a pain in the ass!

The RGV though is one of the most severe race positions, legs tucked up body right forward....though I never really knew any different so didnt bother me so much.

Maybe go sit on an RGV? I would offer you mine but I don't have it anymore:crybaby:

SMOKEU
16th September 2009, 12:16
Thing is, those bikes are tiny!! I'm 6 foot 4 and after having a look at a few of the GN250's which are buzzing around town all day I've come to the conclusion that I won't be able to ride a bike that size without having my knees around my ears!

I'm about your height and I can easily ride a mini pit bike. You will be able to ride almost any small bike quite easily.

TygerTung
16th September 2009, 17:39
I think you would find a CG125 or an AX100 MUCH more comfortable to ride than an RG250 or other small sportsbike. My friend is over 6 foot and had a CG for a first bike, no problem there. They may be a little small, but I think you would still fit.

Actually if you are quite tall, maybe you should go for a trailbike? They will crash well and you will be nice and comfy as they are big.

McWild
16th September 2009, 20:24
I know it's ages away but I'll have my VJ21 in Wellington in November if you want to have a sit.
Probably not much help but still, you could have a look!

At 6'4 you'd have to really enjoy the sportsbike position to be comfortable.

I'm 6'1 and my RGV is a little bit cramped, but I like it that way so it's all good.
I find my friend's CBR250RR (MC22) really cramped though, not sure I could handle it long term.

The RG150 and MC19 CBR250Rs still have sporty positions but the bars are quite a bit higher, so you'd probably fit them better. ZXR250 bars are also a little higher.

Dual purpose bikes are awesome if you want a physically bigger bike. Somehow gruntier than the GNs, but not too much so, and bloody high. They certainly don't do top speed, but they'll do any job you require of them.

If it was me deciding, I wouldn't go for the little AX100s and CG125s. It's not that they're bad bikes; but I think if you want to get more involved with bikes you would be better off with something a bit more modern. I imagine you would also get rather bored with them quickly too. They are however cheap, simple, and safe. And stylish, depending on your taste.

TygerTung
17th September 2009, 23:36
Yeah they are not always a long term thing, but they are a good sort of bike to ride around for 6 months, pick up some great skills, then get something a bit bigger. You sort of have to be into wee bikes though. Wee bikes are heaps of fun :scooter:

Nibblet
23rd September 2009, 15:17
Interesting reading some of your comments. I started green on a NSR250, yes did get a bit of a shock the first couple times at WOT when the power band kicked on and started lifting the front wheel, but as long as your mature and realise that motocyclist are organ donars you start to settle down. Like people have mentioned if your prepared to ease yourself into it rather then hop on and give it full tit they not too bad. But they a suited to more of a toy then for a commuter.

kiwifruit
23rd September 2009, 15:19
I wasn't allowed a RGV250 :D

magicmonkey
23rd September 2009, 15:25
Interesting reading some of your comments. I started green on a NSR250, yes did get a bit of a shock the first couple times at WOT when the power band kicked on and started lifting the front wheel, but as long as your mature and realise that motocyclist are organ donars you start to settle down. Like people have mentioned if your prepared to ease yourself into it rather then hop on and give it full tit they not too bad. But they a suited to more of a toy then for a commuter.

At the moment I've pretty much settled on a ZXR250 which I'm off to see this weekend (unless there's a problem with it I'll be getting myself some keys!) Basically because it's in my price range, has a good reputation for being forgiving on learners and should be able to dish out some more fun when I'm ready for it (until then I'll be shifting at low revs and spending a LOT of time in car parks!).

I'm taking into account the fact that I'm approaching 30, I've been driving for half of that time and I'm someone who knows to back off if things get scary. I'm sure I'll give myself a fright every now and then but I'm old and ugly enough to have got the boy racer attitude out of my system...

magicmonkey
23rd September 2009, 15:38
Get yourself a road registered dirt bike. It will fit your size and be a great learners bike.

An RGV250 is not a suitable learners bike.

yeah, that's pretty much the conclusion I've reached as well. What do you make of the ZXR250?

imdying
23rd September 2009, 19:12
They're fun and not particularly difficult to ride, I and most of my friends learnt to ride on them or similar. For the first wee while you'll find the top end rush incredible, but it won't take long before you're looking for more. Probably wouldn't at 6'4" though, they're not very roomy.

Retards can and do die on many types of bike. Try not to be one.

AxN
24th September 2009, 12:13
At the moment I've pretty much settled on a ZXR250 which I'm off to see this weekend (unless there's a problem with it I'll be getting myself some keys!) Basically because it's in my price range, has a good reputation for being forgiving on learners and should be able to dish out some more fun when I'm ready for it (until then I'll be shifting at low revs and spending a LOT of time in car parks!).

I'm taking into account the fact that I'm approaching 30, I've been driving for half of that time and I'm someone who knows to back off if things get scary. I'm sure I'll give myself a fright every now and then but I'm old and ugly enough to have got the boy racer attitude out of my system...

I was in the same position as you are a month back. Approaching 30, been holding my full class 1 license for 6 years, but only have 6L and new to the bike scene. After did a bit of reading online, looking through local offerings of 250cc bikes. I went with the ZXR250.

The guy who sold me the bike was really helpful. And I did feel completely out of depth for a good first 5 mins on the bike having had only rode a 50cc scooter and a 110cc Honda to pass my BHS.

But I am sure if you are sensible and keep it real to your ability, you should be fine. I am also looking into a few riding courses to go to next week just to boost my skills and keep myself safer on the road.

magicmonkey
24th September 2009, 12:56
I was in the same position as you are a month back. Approaching 30, been holding my full class 1 license for 6 years, but only have 6L and new to the bike scene. After did a bit of reading online, looking through local offerings of 250cc bikes. I went with the ZXR250.

The guy who sold me the bike was really helpful. And I did feel completely out of depth for a good first 5 mins on the bike having had only rode a 50cc scooter and a 110cc Honda to pass my BHS.

But I am sure if you are sensible and keep it real to your ability, you should be fine. I am also looking into a few riding courses to go to next week just to boost my skills and keep myself safer on the road.

At the moment I'm still worrying quite a bit about breaking the bike, getting the right gear, will the bike be a lemon etc etc etc so it's good to hear my plan has been put to work before :D

AxN
24th September 2009, 13:40
At the moment I'm still worrying quite a bit about breaking the bike, getting the right gear, will the bike be a lemon etc etc etc so it's good to hear my plan has been put to work before :D

Good luck to you! Keep us updated :)

magicmonkey
24th September 2009, 13:49
Good luck to you! Keep us updated :)

Heh, I wouldn't worry about me being quiet! I get the impression that the next 6 months of my life are going to be spent either on 2 wheels or on here asking how to get better at it!

BMWST?
24th September 2009, 16:06
fwiw back in the day when rgv 250 were new i had a 750 or 900 4,I reckon i would have got more tickets on the 250...

magicmonkey
24th September 2009, 16:13
fwiw back in the day when rgv 250 were new i had a 750 or 900 4,I reckon i would have got more tickets on the 250...

Yeah, that's kind of the impression I got after doing a bit more research.

Thing is, it's bloody hard researching bikes on the internet when you're a complete noob. There's always a conflicting opinion from reliable sources. Not that there's anything wrong with people having their own opinions or anything, it's just damned confusing from a noob perspective...

metalslug
28th September 2009, 20:51
if you really want to go for it but make sure you get HEAPS of practice and know the power delivery before you hit the road...do it in some carpark or your backyard..

I've learned and did my BHS on a GN 250. Then bought a KR150 (same as RG 150) 2 smoker and rode it out straight away and on my second right hand turn I gave it too much gas and the bike just flew to the opposite lane :eek5: Luckily there were no cars at that time... still give me chills thinking about it.

But yea the power is awesome, you will totally enjoy it, more than most of other 250s

magicmonkey
29th September 2009, 10:25
Yeah, after a slight mishap on the weekend I've decided that a 'boring' first bike is the way to go, after getting a little more training!

AxN
29th September 2009, 15:00
Yeah, after a slight mishap on the weekend I've decided that a 'boring' first bike is the way to go, after getting a little more training!

What happened?!?

magicmonkey
29th September 2009, 15:30
What happened?!?

Nothing major, just a thoughtless grab at the front brake, lots of reving! Made me realise that I want to be a lot more comfortable with controlling the bike before getting something that I'll want to keep in the long run. Looking at GN205's now :s

jetboy
29th September 2009, 15:37
I ride with a mate who has one of these, we did a swap (I have a CBR250RR) and I'm glad I didn't learn on the RGV250! It was heaps of fun, but yeah had I ridden it as my first bike I would have been in trouble!

AxN
30th September 2009, 15:06
Nothing major, just a thoughtless grab at the front brake, lots of reving! Made me realise that I want to be a lot more comfortable with controlling the bike before getting something that I'll want to keep in the long run. Looking at GN205's now :s

Glad you are ok. I have just done a basic road course today and there sure were some good tips coming from the instructor. Hope your riding and purchasing will go smoothly from now on.

Scott

magicmonkey
30th September 2009, 15:10
Glad you are ok. I have just done a basic road course today and there sure were some good tips coming from the instructor. Hope your riding and purchasing will go smoothly from now on.

Scott

I'm booked in for another course in a couple of weeks and then I'll be looking more seriously at a bike, hopefully the whole buyers market thing won't have changed since then!

How did you get on? Manage to not fall off?

Bsym1
30th September 2009, 15:22
The GN is a bit slow but pretty good to learn on, a CB 250 will give you the same sort of deal. The CB is pretty robust if you sling it as well I learnt on one after coming off dirt bikes as a kid, impossible to break in a major way. Well worth having a look at an RGV down track though, my old one was a ripper of a bike so much fun in the power band, would not have liked it as a first crack though unless you were coming off old school 2 stroke MX bikes and on off power bands.

Infamy
30th November 2009, 17:50
I learnt on an RGV vj21, basically didn't know how to kick start it or anything like that, from that 3 months later, i feel confident riding from palmy to wellington on a rainy day- im alive, havent crashed it or dropped it yet. Its been a fun bike to learn on, and yes its given me some mechanical issues but iv learnt from each and everyone. I would liken it to learning to drive in an turbo car, it costs more, you have to be more careful etc. but if you know your limits, stick to them and are sensible I dont see why not. Right now I am learning about rebuilds and how to do them myself- might be better if you have deep pockets (these RGV's need attention)