PDA

View Full Version : Radar detector NOT just a random noise generator after all...

slofox
14th September 2009, 13:00
Recently I bought an El Cheapo radar detector (Cobra) off Tard Me. Plugged it in and have spent a couple weeks driving round with it in the cage.

Over this time it has reliably picked up every supermarket's door opener and various other things of an unspecified nature...I was beginning to think it was, in fact, a random noise generator with some pretty lights on the back. :shifty:

Wrong. Apparently. Yesterday we were proceeding south on d'Auckland's Souf Western Motomayhemway, down one of the hills, speedo ticking around the 110km mark when the little black box suddenly got very excited indeed and let out with the warning tone for laser guns..."Hey! Haven't heard that one before!!!" Foot off, back under 100km, eyes searching. Sure 'nuf, there it was, bottom of the hill, blue and white and red and white, parked at right angles to the carriageway so he could ping us out his driver's window. :Police:

I was surprised at two things. First, that the box even got the laser signal. Second at just how far away the patrol car was when it went off. I really had thought that this cheapy would probably be as much use as the proverbials...:weird:

Oh yes, it may be that he already had me before I reacted - I wasn't that much over 100km anyway, given some speedo error. But he kept the gun on us for quite a long time after the box reacted so who knows? :spanking:

Maybe it does work after all...amazing. :shit:

In defence of the box, I find it is a good behaviour modifier. Every time it chirps, I check the speedo. So it has its benefits.

EJK
14th September 2009, 13:15
Serious question here. What's the difference between those ultra expensive devices and those cobra ones from Trademe?

CookMySock
14th September 2009, 13:16
In defence of the box, I find it is a good behaviour modifier. Every time it chirps, I check the speedo. So it has its benefits.Yeah they are good like that, until you turn all the unused bands off, then they STFU until something real comes along.

One night with poor visibility, towing trailer, very tired, I was very grateful to have the GPS. I set it warn me at over 105km/hr, and quite a few times it growled at me descending some dark steep section of unfamiliar road into tightening corners - slow down! :Police:

Steve

slofox
14th September 2009, 13:18
Serious question here. What's the difference between those ultra expensive devices and those cobra ones from Trademe?

The price for a start...:whistle:

slofox
14th September 2009, 13:20
Yeah they are good like that, until you turn all the unused bands off, then they STFU until something real comes along.

Can't turn any of the bands off - too cheap...it does have a "city" mode where X band only chirps once then S'sTFU...

p.dath
14th September 2009, 13:24
The problem with laser detection is that by the time you detect it, it's too late.

Light travels way faster than your ear sending a signal to your brain to say "laser".

p.dath
14th September 2009, 13:25

The more expensive ones tend to give less false positives. When they go off you know to pay attention.

EJK
14th September 2009, 13:30
Found this on youtube. Interesting...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNTQEApjxKk

slofox
14th September 2009, 14:15
The problem with laser detection is that by the time you detect it, it's too late.

Yes, I have heard this many times too.

I think it depends a little on how good the operator is though. Last time I got the coppers to check my bike speedo with a laser gun, the dude said it can take a wee bit of time to actually get a fix on the vehicle. So if the operator is a bit useless you just might get time to react before he fixes you. Bikes are harder to fix than cars as well I believe...

Yesterday's incident was interesting in that the laser signal kept coming for quite a while before he switched it off. Whether he was getting more than one fix or just trying to get a bead on me I dunno...anyway, he didn't chase me up the road so all good...

slofox
14th September 2009, 14:16
Found this on youtube. Interesting...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNTQEApjxKk

That's the immediate predecessor of my model - ESD7000. Mine's ESD7100.

EJK
14th September 2009, 14:19
Yes, I have heard this many times too.

I think it depends a little on how good the operator is though. Last time I got the coppers to check my bike speedo with a laser gun, the dude said it can take a wee bit of time to actually get a fix on the vehicle. So if the operator is a bit useless you just might get time to react before he fixes you. Bikes are harder to fix than cars as well I believe...

Yesterday's incident was interesting in that the laser signal kept coming for quite a while before he switched it off. Whether he was getting more than one fix or just trying to get a bead on me I dunno...anyway, he didn't chase me up the road so all good...

Doesn't sound half bad for an El Cheapo.

vifferman
14th September 2009, 14:31
I was very grateful to have the GPS. I set it warn me at over 105km/hr, and quite a few times it growled at me
So yours is a growler, huh?
I've got my GPS set to moo at me if I go faster'n 8 km/h over the limit for too long.

slofox
14th September 2009, 14:40
if I go faster'n 8 km/h over the limit for too long.

I bet you really set it at 80km/hr over, dontcha??huh?huh?

SMOKEU
14th September 2009, 14:45
Apart from the false alerts, which won't really be a problem out in the countryside, is there much difference other than price and wank factor between cheap and expensive radar detectors?

Hard Nut
14th September 2009, 15:04
Apart from the false alerts, which won't really be a problem out in the countryside, is there much difference other than price and wank factor between cheap and expensive radar detectors?

Yeah there is, with the expensive ones you need to send them back to the manufacturer every 12 months for updates.

Nuts

javawocky
14th September 2009, 16:49
That's the immediate predecessor of my model - ESD7000. Mine's ESD7100.

Hay, could you take a picture of where you mounted it? keen on one myself, but not sure where its going to fit. Want to keep it neat.

I have a completely dark screen so would probably work above the rev counter.

EDIT * Also, it it waterproof? how do you keep she dry?

one fast tl1ooo
14th September 2009, 17:22
Recently I bought an El Cheapo radar detector (Cobra) off Tard Me. Plugged it in and have spent a couple weeks driving round with it in the cage.

Over this time it has reliably picked up every supermarket's door opener and various other things of an unspecified nature...I was beginning to think it was, in fact, a random noise generator with some pretty lights on the back. :shifty:

Wrong. Apparently. Yesterday we were proceeding south on d'Auckland's Souf Western Motomayhemway, down one of the hills, speedo ticking around the 110km mark when the little black box suddenly got very excited indeed and let out with the warning tone for laser guns..."Hey! Haven't heard that one before!!!" Foot off, back under 100km, eyes searching. Sure 'nuf, there it was, bottom of the hill, blue and white and red and white, parked at right angles to the carriageway so he could ping us out his driver's window. :Police:

I was surprised at two things. First, that the box even got the laser signal. Second at just how far away the patrol car was when it went off. I really had thought that this cheapy would probably be as much use as the proverbials...:weird:

Oh yes, it may be that he already had me before I reacted - I wasn't that much over 100km anyway, given some speedo error. But he kept the gun on us for quite a long time after the box reacted so who knows? :spanking:

Maybe it does work after all...amazing. :shit:

In defence of the box, I find it is a good behaviour modifier. Every time it chirps, I check the speedo. So it has its benefits.

Year man i got the same one, works dam well, Has save me heaps of
times on the bike, paid for itself 10 times over

slofox
14th September 2009, 17:24
Plugged it in and have spent a couple weeks driving round with it in the cage.

It's in the cage.

I don't think it'll work on the bike without jigging up some audio linky - the lights I think I would miss. Would be easy enough to mount though - I have a distribution board set up under the seat - would require either wiring in permanently or setting up a ciggy lighter socket under the fairing to power it up. Neither would be hard to do.

Not waterproof neither I wouldn't think. Would need an aqua box. Then the lights would be even harder to see...spose you could only use it in the fine weather...