PDA

View Full Version : Bikes for adventure touring?

CRM
14th September 2009, 16:26
Hi guys - just tapping into the collective wisdom that is KB...

I'm in a bit of a dilemma as I've got my XR600 on TM (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=241679653) because I want to get a bike I can ride longer distances on for my work (like right through NZ). To be sensible I really should get a tourer but the thought of being without an adventure bike is a little too depressing so... what would you pick? I really can't stretch to more than about $5500. And I want a bike that I can put panniers and a screen on for distance but still do the business as a go-anywhere bike (not necessarily at high speed but good fun).

How about an XT660 Tenere (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=209507608)?
Aprilia Pegaso 650 (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=240492774)?
DR 650 (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=241104159)?
Caviga Canyon 500 (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=234341407)?
BMW F650 (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=241911340)?
BMW R100GS (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=240215242) 1991?

I haven't ridden any of these (apart from short ride on a DR650) but I'm sure someone out there has Any of these strike you as a) suitable for what I want or b) an incredibly good deal? Thanks

pete376403
14th September 2009, 16:51
KLR650?
DR650?

Easy to live with, cheap, fairly reliable, (KLRs doohickey, DRs 3rd gear)
DR is probably better off road, KLR is definitely better on-road but both can handle all roads within reason

CRM
14th September 2009, 17:03
Yeah I would have included KLR's but none around at that sort of price at present. I don't want to pay more than around $5ish K as I might as well just keep the XR and get a cheap tourer as well. But as my wife's Hyundai has 300,000km on it I'd feel a bit mean owning two bikes while she has to drive that. :nono: Priorities...

NordieBoy
14th September 2009, 17:21
Pre '08 KLR?
More tourerery than the DR but still go anywhere.

People will point and laugh though.

nallac
14th September 2009, 17:30
I want that R100Gs.......

JATZ
14th September 2009, 17:54
Ahhh shit....... here we go again :doh:

Get the one you can afford and which feels best for you

Edit.... I'd go for the R100 for touring, already got panniers and better for long distance IMHO

dino3310
14th September 2009, 18:08
:stupid::laugh:

Hi crm, i was wondering if that was your ride:drool:, i got it on my watch list, very nice.

this topics an ongoing one, comes down to price and personal preferance no matter what we say on here, only advice i can give without getting into the KLR/DR debate is test ride as much as you can and go from there.

i can garranty your gonna miss some of the fun factor when the XR goes,

CRM
14th September 2009, 18:55
:stupid::laugh:

Hi crm, i was wondering if that was your ride:drool:, i got it on my watch list, very nice.

this topics an ongoing one, comes down to price and personal preferance no matter what we say on here, only advice i can give without getting into the KLR/DR debate is test ride as much as you can and go from there.

i can garranty your gonna miss some of the fun factor when the XR goes,

Thanks for advice everyone. I really wasn't trying to open up the DR/KLR wound all over again.:argue:. I really just wanted some feedback on the bikes I listed that were a little rarer - like the Tenere - what are they like on the road? Are old GS's asking for trouble or good value? What are those Pegaso's like?

What is a well setup DR650 like for distance?

I guess at the end of the day once I sell my XR and I'm ready to do trip I'll look around and just see what's out there and it might be something completly different :msn-wink:

JATZ
14th September 2009, 19:25
Not sure about that model Tenere but we have struggled a bit to get parts cheap for mrsJatz 86 tenere, I think the model you linked to had overheating issues, but I could be wrong, BTW I've seen that bike in the flesh and it looks O.K.
The F650's we had were a bit of a mixed bag, hers had 124000k's and ran like a swiss watch, mine had about 75000k's and had some issues. Both were o.k.on long days but started to get a wee bit uncomfortable after 500+ k's, even sooner for a pillion.Both were alright on gravel and light 4wd tracks, but a bit heavy and had a wideish tank and 19in front, I'm 6'2 and found it a bit small.
Pegaso has the same motor and is probly a very similar bike, quiet and capable.
I guess the canyon would be about the same again,but with less power. Parts could be an issue and I think would be pricey, but I could be wrong
DR. simple, capable, T.A. does some big k's on his so I guess he finds it comfy enough and there's heaps around.
Also try a klr if you can, nice bikes, better range than a DR, more comfortable
better wind protection, just ugly as sin

Crisis management
14th September 2009, 19:31
You need a 990 Adventure, trust me on this..... :niceone:

Box'a'bits
14th September 2009, 19:37

I'd get in quick CRM. Crisis Management appears to be offering you his 990 Adventure for your budget $5.5k....:eek:

gav24
14th September 2009, 19:48
Easy!!! :no: not really.
BUT....
I would go for a pre 98 KLR
my mate just bought a late 80's one in really great, low K's, condition for less than 2k!!! I know:eek: think what 5K could get:mobile:
Why the KLR?
For what you want and compared to my 2 year old DR it has a way bigger tank, a screen, more comfortable seat, solid rear rack, also has liquid cooling for quieter and more consistent running temp.
With front and rear disc brakes just like the DR, makes you realise just how far ahead of the game Kawasaki were with the KLR in 1986(?) Pretty capable off road as well, way better than they have any right to, especially if the big tanks not full to the brim:msn-wink:

Finally though - They are UUUUUGLY:doh:

Dakar
14th September 2009, 20:24
My penny's worth!!
Try out as many bikes as you can, you will know the bike when you see it, but most of the time it comes down to availabilty and whether your dollar can stretch that far........ be wary though this tme of year people are starting to think about the Xmas hols, and adventure bike prices seem to go up quite a bit getting into late october and november.

id blow out the Pegasus, the Cagiva and swap the F650 GS to the Dakar model, much better off road, IMO, and with the new 800 GS out, you might be able to pick one up for that price,

good luck on your search :2thumbsup

dino3310
14th September 2009, 20:30

:laugh:you had to get that one in didnt ya.

Hey mate 5.5k will get you a long way, theres always a bargain between 4 - 6k

Transalper
14th September 2009, 21:16
As JATZ said I do enjoy the big trips on my DR. Done a fair few 1000km days on the black top and some big Shingle/Black top mix rides.
The missus does the big sealed road runs with me on her DR650 too.
Our seats have been tweaked to help the butts and we added small screens, big tanks etc. as part of our touring setup.
From what I read you may be wanting a more comfortable ride but as I'm sure you're aware the more comfortable you go the heavier and less XR like you'll get.

JATZ
14th September 2009, 21:20
Just thinking..... you could try and find a transalp, or XTZ 750, of Africa twin, but I do like that R100. mmmmm

BMWST?
14th September 2009, 21:27
it really depends on what you want.....if you want to retain good off road performance then the dr and klr are prolly the way to go..Dont know about the others.At nearly 200 kg the GS falls into the same category as the other 80s twins the Honda and Yamaha...really nice road bikes and good of road too if you have the tyres skill and will....
The old BMWs twins are much much nicer to ride than they may look....You can still get parts but they can be expensive...

Woodman
14th September 2009, 21:40
Yea...............

DR or pre 08 KLR both good simple bikes with good parts backup and with an incredible amount of farkles available. Btw the klr does not have a good long distance seat as it is too soft especially for heavier people. On the odd occaision I ride mine any distance on road I am always amazed how it soaks up the miles, and if you want to you can ride pretty rapidly off road too.

And they are not ugly (from most angles)

warewolf
14th September 2009, 21:45
what would you pick?None of those. In the adventure niche, you want more cylinders for better roadability. The Honda Tranny was noticeably absent from your list. Mid-capacity v-twin, gotta be better on the road than any thumper.

Soft-roaders like the TDM spring to mind. Any roadie with an upright stance that you can fit at least semi-knobblies to would suit the job well, because it sounds to me like you're gonna do a shitload of road miles and a few gravel roads. Road bikes do gravel roads completely fine, especially tourers that have narrower tyres - so you don't need a trail-biased adventure bike. A bit of ground clearance for rocky sections, and a lack of expensive plastic, and you've got yourself a modestly competent mild adventurer.

warewolf
14th September 2009, 21:48
And they are not uglyIn the dark all cats are grey...

CRM
15th September 2009, 08:45
None of those. In the adventure niche, you want more cylinders for better roadability. The Honda Tranny was noticeably absent from your list. Mid-capacity v-twin, gotta be better on the road than any thumper.

Soft-roaders like the TDM spring to mind. Any roadie with an upright stance that you can fit at least semi-knobblies to would suit the job well, because it sounds to me like you're gonna do a shitload of road miles and a few gravel roads. Road bikes do gravel roads completely fine, especially tourers that have narrower tyres - so you don't need a trail-biased adventure bike. A bit of ground clearance for rocky sections, and a lack of expensive plastic, and you've got yourself a modestly competent mild adventurer.

I've looked at TDM's and like them a lot but quite a lot of $ for the age and mileage - still on the watchlist though.

Looking at twins:
here's a 97 Transalp (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Dual-purpose/auction-239639036.htm) mileage is high and looks a bit worn out to me.
If I had a bit more money I think this would be my choice: Africa Twin (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Dual-purpose/auction-241167212.htm) (maybe I'll make an offer)

And quite a tidy 04 KLR (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=239645486)

Anybody know any of these bikes?

Thanks for the feedback everyone... :niceone:

Clive

slimjim
15th September 2009, 10:33
nothing wrong with a older kawa 750 or 1000 , throw a set of dual tryes and its a go anywhere machine too, good belly height as well

jim.cox
15th September 2009, 11:21
so... what would you pick?

Me?

I'd keep the adnoH.

Its better than all the alternatives

I'd put dual purpose tyres on it; road gearing; soft panniers and preferably a fly screen

And I'd ride it EVERYWHERE

"Only one bike" you say? well this is prefect...

CRM
15th September 2009, 12:34
Me?

I'd keep the adnoH.

I'd put dual purpose tyres on it; road gearing; soft panniers and preferably a fly screen

A couple of problems with it:
- Poor lights (for 5:30am starts leaving Chch to be in Nelson by 12:00):scooter:
- Kick start (can't wear my shiny shoes going to see a client) :innocent:
- Tiring on the knees for distance (it's embarrassing I know but my legs blow apart and the muscles get tired clamping on the tank hour after hour). :eek:
- A little vibey - which is fun and manly but not after 500km! :ride:
- It's pretty loud - again fun and cool racing your mates but not the best image going to a client. :whistle:
- The look - a little raw for my clients in The Terrace. :Punk:

So yeah good thought but I just can't see it working...

NordieBoy
15th September 2009, 13:43
Poor lights (for 5:30am starts leaving Chch to be in Nelson by 12:00):scooter:

Meet ya at Zumo for a coffee though :clap:

Easy enough to do the lights.
You've got the range :D

Ooooh...
How about an XF650?

jim.cox
15th September 2009, 14:28
A couple of problems with it:

- Kick start (can't wear my shiny shoes going to see a client).

That's bullshit. I can start my Ducati in street shoes

- The look - a little raw for my clients in The Terrace. :Punk:

- It's pretty loud - again fun and cool racing your mates but not the best image going to a client.

So yeah good thought but I just can't see it working...

Ah, now I see the trouble - You just want a new bike for the look...

Poseur

CRM
15th September 2009, 15:35
Meet ya at Zumo for a coffee though :clap:

Easy enough to do the lights.
You've got the range :D

Ooooh...
How about an XF650?

Yeah the coffee sounds good. XF650's look like the good things too - pretty scarce though I reckon. I'm wondering about a KLR... looking at some nice setups on advrider. Should I be worried?

CRM
15th September 2009, 15:42
That's bullshit. I can start my Ducati in street shoes

Ah, now I see the trouble - You just want a new bike for the look...

Poseur

Yeah that's probably right. I did my last trip on a nice shiny red classic VF700 Magna cruiser - looked great plus sweet sweet V4 sound and power! Ah - good memories :first:. Maybe I should try and buy that back, add a screen and some better lights.

thepom
15th September 2009, 18:40
I,d go for the africa everytime,cruises,off road and comfy ,reliable too if you sort out the problems and not too heavy off road if your a capable rider......

Waihou Thumper
15th September 2009, 19:21
if we sort out the problems...:2thumbsup What issues does the Twin have then?

thepom
16th September 2009, 19:52
The worst one is the chain being too tight and wearing out the drive from the gearbox which holds the front sprocket,if I had a dollar for every time some one said my chain is loose I,d have eight bucks!!!

then there is the reg/rec which cooked my battery on the way back from Hamilton,after market one bought and no more probs.... .

and of course the fuel pump-they use an old contact breaker type which shits itself any time you never expect it to. If you have a full tank of fuel you can get home slowly by gravity feed.

Solved by buying an after market solid state pump( facet) or a mitzi one.I have the facet and have no more worries.

There are no probs with corroding brake calipers or wheel rims as they don,t salt the roads here, aaprt from these few problems and the heavy weight it is still the best fun bike I have ever owned....I,ve had bmw 650,s xt600,s and transalps and this is still the best bike yet,.....and it smoked an st3,a sv650 and a gs1100 last weekend on the twisties with trail tyres ,on the way to kaikoura......hahahahahaaaaaa

Alpha Solo
17th September 2009, 11:27
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=107883

:whistle:

CRM
17th September 2009, 15:29
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=107883

:whistle:

Swap for an XR600? Deja vu? :eek5:

CRM
17th September 2009, 15:52
Me?

I'd keep the adnoH.

Okay I'm coming round to this... I had a guy come and look at it today so polished it up nice and shiny, put some fresh oil in it and went out for a last blast and its going great (runs off the end of the speedo) so I'm thinking this is a great bike - why am I selling it when I've just done all this engine work on it? So the guy looked at it, had a ride, liked how it went but I think the age and scrapes and war-wounds put him off a little - said he would get back to me on it which probably means he'll make me a lower offer which I won't take :oi-grr:.

List of stuff I would need:
- put on the big tank
- soft panniers (already have)
- rack bag (already have)
- lockable security mesh net thingy ($120)
- black sheepshin ($85)
- Ricky Stator ex XR's only to give 200W ($130US)
- Decent light ($? any ideas?)
- Lowering link ex XR's only ($99US)
- Screen (dunno - any ideas?)

So for another $7-800 she could be good for the trip

Should do it? Probably have to replace the tyres and maybe chain as the current ones are pretty well past their use-by anyway.

BMWST?
17th September 2009, 22:15
why the lowering links

NordieBoy
17th September 2009, 22:35
Cause he's a shortarse?

CRM
18th September 2009, 08:38
Cause he's a shortarse?

Yep - just trying to maximise comfort. With the rack plus panniers loaded up and a tankbag on it can be awkward to swing your leg over - especially with MX boots. And maybe getting the COG a little lower might feel better and more relaxed on the road.

Alpha Solo
18th September 2009, 10:19
Swap for an XR600? Deja vu? :eek5:

Like you I'm not even sure why I'm selling it as it is the ultimate adventure bike! I have a DRZ and love the size and weight, the KTM is great but a bit of a beast for a shorty like me, hence the sale. I'm gonna ride it again at the weekend as I love the power etc, watch this spare as I might keep it...!

warewolf
18th September 2009, 22:01
- Lowering link ex XR's only ($99US)

Yep - just trying to maximise comfort. With the rack plus panniers loaded up and a tankbag on it can be awkward to swing your leg over - especially with MX boots. And maybe getting the COG a little lower might feel better and more relaxed on the road.Epic FAIL!!!

Lowering links totally root your rear suspension action, making the ride harsh and prone to bottoming. :buggerd: Friends don't let friends ride lowering links...

NordieBoy
19th September 2009, 09:13
Epic FAIL!!!

Lowering links totally root your rear suspension action, making the ride harsh and prone to bottoming. :buggerd: Friends don't let friends ride lowering links...

You sound bitter?

You've tried them havn't you :D

CRM
19th September 2009, 15:39
Epic FAIL!!!

Yeah I've heard that - but I thought XR's Only (http://www.xrsonly.com/content/index.php?page=shop.product_details&product_id=241&category_id=105&flypage=flypage.tpl&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=89) were the performance people and would know better?

Anyway you're probably right - carrying a step ladder and abseiling gear isn't that bigger deal :calm:.

I put all the bags on this morning and she's looking good. Also got a pacsafe (http://www.pac-safe.com/www/index.php?_room=3&_action=detail&id=49) bag protector so I can lock up my gear on the bike. Light and effective.

I'm doing a test run up to Kerikeri on Monday to do some training with some clients.

Still not sure what to do about the lights. Apparently they put out 35W stock which is not fantastic. I'd like 100 or so - so maybe have to go to the Ricky Stator option. Anybody in NZ do these or do stator rewinds reasonably priced and reasonably quickly?

I'd love a screen too. Wondering if something like this (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=241716535) would work? It looks like I could extend it quite a way forward which I think would be best for the XR as you're already quite close to the handlebars. Any ideas?

NordieBoy
19th September 2009, 18:01
I'd love a screen too. Wondering if something like this (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=241716535) would work? It looks like I could extend it quite a way forward which I think would be best for the XR as you're already quite close to the handlebars. Any ideas?

That's basically what I'm running.

http://www.photostorage.nelson.geek.nz/sports/motorsport/mybikes/DR650/slides/20090315-151303.jpg

cooneyr
20th September 2009, 08:20
Nordie your going to have to move that headlight for this years DB sticker! :Offtopic:

NordieBoy
20th September 2009, 10:34
Nordie your going to have to move that headlight for this years DB sticker! :Offtopic:

The floodie is gone now.
The SV headlight has a much better pattern so I pulled it off.

http://www.photostorage.nelson.geek.nz/sports/motorsport/mybikes/Trips/20090426%20Maungatapu%20fork%20test/slides/20090426-150609.jpg

warewolf
21st September 2009, 22:22
You sound bitter?

You've tried them havn't you :DNot bitter, just think that the negatives of said items are nowhere near well enough publicised.

rok-the-boat
22nd September 2009, 22:07
If I were you I'd keep the XR and fit taller gearing. I have put a bigger front sprocket on my DR500 and it's great on the motorway now. 100km/h is a little under 4500rpm. It's OK slow too, on the road - perfect for the road. Off road, nope. But I ride 98% on normal roads anyway. And even in 5th at 100km/h it will surge off if I open the throttle.

CRM
23rd September 2009, 09:48
If I were you I'd keep the XR and fit taller gearing. I have put a bigger front sprocket on my DR500 and it's great on the motorway now. 100km/h is a little under 4500rpm. It's OK slow too, on the road - perfect for the road. Off road, nope. But I ride 98% on normal roads anyway. And even in 5th at 100km/h it will surge off if I open the throttle.

When i bought the XR it was geared way up, with smaller than stock rear sprocket and larger front sprocket - the previous owner had used it for commuting between towns apparently. I used it like that for a while - even off road and it was okay - just use a bit of clutch to get away in the tight stuff and let the torque carry it along. I've now put a stock front sprocket on it but kept the smaller rear one and it cruises easily at 110-120 still with plenty of pull for overtaking in top gear so I may leave it at that for the trip or maybe install the smaller front - not sure yet.

I'm still looking at improving the lights - wondering if I go to a halogen 35W if it will be adequate without upgrading the stator. I've been looking at Ballards in Ausy - seem to have some good stuff - anyone dealt with them?

oldrider
23rd September 2009, 09:59
Hi guys - just tapping into the collective wisdom that is KB...

I'm in a bit of a dilemma as I've got my XR600 on TM (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=241679653) because I want to get a bike I can ride longer distances on for my work (like right through NZ). To be sensible I really should get a tourer but the thought of being without an adventure bike is a little too depressing so... what would you pick? I really can't stretch to more than about $5500. And I want a bike that I can put panniers and a screen on for distance but still do the business as a go-anywhere bike (not necessarily at high speed but good fun).

How about an XT660 Tenere (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=209507608)?
Aprilia Pegaso 650 (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=240492774)?
DR 650 (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=241104159)?
Caviga Canyon 500 (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=234341407)?
BMW F650 (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=241911340)?
BMW R100GS (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=240215242) 1991?

I haven't ridden any of these (apart from short ride on a DR650) but I'm sure someone out there has Any of these strike you as a) suitable for what I want or b) an incredibly good deal? Thanks

Triumph Tiger 955i 2001 through to 06 all that you require and more, there are some bargains out there too! :ride: Good luck! :niceone:

Edit: PM KB'rs, The Duck 01 or Ruralman, they currently have excellent Tiger 955i's for sale!

cooneyr
23rd September 2009, 12:09
Triumph Tiger 955i 2001 through to 06 all that you require and more, there are some bargains out there too! :ride: Good luck! :niceone:...

Bloody hell you never give up do you. Your almost as one eyed as a KTM rider :laugh: Bit like the author of the article Ducky posted on Ruralmans thread!

clint640
23rd September 2009, 12:21
I'm still looking at improving the lights - wondering if I go to a halogen 35W if it will be adequate without upgrading the stator. I've been looking at Ballards in Ausy - seem to have some good stuff - anyone dealt with them?

35W Halogen is still bugger all light. How about HID? An HID unit won't draw much & might work out cheaper than a stator upgrade + new headlight.

Clint

oldrider
23rd September 2009, 13:10
Bloody hell you never give up do you. Your almost as one eyed as a KTM rider :laugh: Bit like the author of the article Ducky posted on Ruralmans thread!

:lol: The problem is there are more of them than there are of us, now that they (Triumph) have stopped making the Tiger 955i's! :doh:

The article to which you refer was just to "help" Ruralman decide which bike to sell or keep! :confused:

But like he says, he needs the "legroom" much more than the power, economy and quality, so I guess he will just have to keep the KTM! :laugh:

CRM
23rd September 2009, 13:44
35W Halogen is still bugger all light. How about HID? An HID unit won't draw much & might work out cheaper than a stator upgrade + new headlight.

Clint

Don't know much about HID - just reading some other forums where they say you get a 1 second delay when switching from high to low :shit: - sounds a little dangerous... They also mention the Narva or Hella + 50% or + 80% bulbs as an alternative. I'm wanting to replace the whole light unit with something including a bit of wind deflector.

clint640
23rd September 2009, 14:16
Don't know much about HID - just reading some other forums where they say you get a 1 second delay when switching from high to low :shit: - sounds a little dangerous... They also mention the Narva or Hella + 50% or + 80% bulbs as an alternative. I'm wanting to replace the whole light unit with something including a bit of wind deflector.

There is a delay with HIDs, some hi/lo ones dip by moving a little reflector to get around that. Good idea replacing the whole thing, a bigger reflector will always be more efficient. I'd probably fit something like Nordieboys setup if I was doing more night riding.

Clint

CRM
13th October 2009, 18:59
Well the XR600 has run sweet as for 1100km over two days. Yesterday I did 750km from Whangarei to Napier taking a couple of detours - the largest was through the Waikaremoana Road (see pic). Nice :woohoo:!

Today did the road from Napier down through Porangahau :rockon:. The day was beautiful (did get a bit windy later) and the road was fantastic (great twisty seal - would be amazing on a sportsbike but pretty cool on the XR).

The big tank gave 380km till reserve then 25km more to second reserve (other side) for another 25km. I'm impressed! So I've done 1100km and only filled twice. It certainly gives confidence heading off down some wild roads.

Got lots more pics but limited bandwidth today.

dino3310
13th October 2009, 19:09
1100 klms in 2 days on an XR:gob:

Hows the Butt

CRM
13th October 2009, 20:20
1100 klms in 2 days on an XR:gob:

Hows the Butt

I can sit, stand and sleep pretty well... Actually my helmet is giving me more trouble - pressure on the forehead, just a little too tight:bash:. It stops me thinking about my butt i guess.

Actually I got a sheepskin and I think that's saving it a bit. A sheep gave it's life for my butt:(.

Tomorrow going around the ranges (bottom way i think) to Levin - I'll most likely find a good way to make it last all day...

junkmanjoe
13th October 2009, 20:55
hi there.are you going over the rimutakas tomorrow mate.. i give a wave if i spot ya..
ride safe mate...:headbang:

JMJ

CRM
14th October 2009, 17:22
hi there.are you going over the rimutakas tomorrow mate.. i give a wave if i spot ya..
ride safe mate...:headbang:

JMJ

So I'm busy sitting in a queue of traffic on top of the Rimutaka's trying to take pictures of the insane digger guy and this roady person in the orange suit walks up to me and asks if I'm the guy off Kiwi Biker - I'm thinking 'how can he see my t-shirt?' :cool: Anyway it turns out to be junkmanjoe - good spotting joe. Wished I'd stopped for a chat.

What an insane place to work... catch up again some time mate.

Also a couple of other photos from when I've wandered off the highway.

I went in to Langlands Honda in Masterton this morning looking for a replacement tyre. They didn't have anything in the right size but big ups to Jason :2thumbsup - he organised with Motorad to have a T63 ready to go on when I'm in Wellington tomorrow - fantastic service. Looking forward to that - specially now it's started raining :baby:.

junkmanjoe
14th October 2009, 21:54
yea mate..i been looking out for you all day long,,, spotted the bike in the traffic and thought thats a xr with a long range tank, heaps of bags, so it must be him.

was great to briefly meet you there...ill be up there for a while mate so if ya going through again let us know..

happy trails there..

JMJ

NordieBoy
15th October 2009, 07:07
yea mate..i been looking out for you all day long,,, spotted the bike in the traffic and thought thats a xr with a long range tank, heaps of bags, so it must be him.

was great to briefly meet you there...ill be up there for a while mate so if ya going through again let us know..

happy trails there..

JMJ

You've got a KTM sticker on the digger don'cha?
Orange digger too?

Padmei
15th October 2009, 17:50
Orange digger too?

Now was that the one that got the lil yellow digger or the bigger bigger digger out of the mud?

junkmanjoe
15th October 2009, 19:38
Orange digger too?

orange all the way baby..... i feel you need to buy suzi so you get that tank you missed out on...and you get heaps of spare parts as well....:2thumbsup

NordieBoy
15th October 2009, 20:17
orange all the way baby..... i feel you need to buy suzi so you get that tank you missed out on...and you get heaps of spare parts as well....:2thumbsup

Got enough spare parts. Just missing an engine...

Do you want this wax effigy of your bike that I've stuck pins into to give to the next owner?

CRM
16th October 2009, 20:08
I stayed in Hutt Park motor camp last night while it was bucketing down, finally left about 10:30 this morning through some serious surface flooding to catch the ferry at 12:00. I'm just pulling out at the roundabout when hello!! no clutch... :buggerd:The cable had broken (note to self - pack spare cable in future!)

Fortunately my I found the number for Motomart in Lower Hutt on my iPhone, called them... no they didn't have one but might be able to make one if I could get it there. I tried pushing then crashing into first but could see even if I did manage to ride it clutchless there was always the issue of stop-lights, roundabouts etc... :crazy::Police: so I didn't try too hard knowing it would most likely all end in tears anyway.

So I called the AA and about 15 minutes later the truck arrives, nice bloke drops me off at Motomart and I spend a pleasant half hour looking at new BMW's (the X-country looks like it might nearly be as good as the XR) while my mate the mechanic does his pit-crew impersonation. :first: they did themselves proud - all sorted and I ride up to bluebridge as the bikes are loading.

So now I'm at St Arnaud, hoping for some decent weather to see the West Coast:2thumbsup.

CRM
18th October 2009, 09:26
Well St Arnaud was sunny until I left - the lady at the shop where I bought the muesli bars told me it would rain ('because it always rains here...') and she was right. 160km of wet and wetter to Westport :baby:. I'd just been telling an old bloke how good my wet weather gear was but it (and my endurance) were about to be sorely tested by the famous West Coast Weather.

Finally arriving in Westport thinking '...and why do I like riding again?' Couldn't really answer that at the time... cold, wet, no-where to shelter and get dried off - so I went to Westport 'beach' and took some photo's to prove at least that I'd been there when they found my lifeless frozen body on the side of the road.:cold:.

Anyway, after eating a hot pie decided I really had no choice but to keep going so headed off to Greymouth where it incredibly had actually stopped raining. Still wet and cold but at least remembering that riding could be fun I decided to keep going to Christchurch.

That's where it gets better... Arthurs Pass is such a great road! Stopped at the top (where it was pleasantly warm) and caught up with some fellow riders (KTM990 and Spyder riding together - interested combination but apparently virtually the same motor in both), had a hot chocolate - felt almost human again.

So nearly got pinged by a coppah :Police: with a radar gun coming out of Arthurs Pass - (he had it aimed right at me so I hit the brakes, hopped off the bike and wandered around the information centre till he'd gone (on 80 demerits I'm desperate!)

Anyway it was a beautiful ride down the other side - even got my gravel fix on the Lake Colleridge road - just amazing scenery :2thumbsup. Got to Chch about 7:00 - hot shower never felt so good!

Pictures are Lake Rotoiti (St Arnauds), Westport Beach, Arthurs Pass and Lake Colleridge Road.

Woodman
18th October 2009, 14:28
mate thats a good days riding on a xr. Goodonya.

Waihou Thumper
18th October 2009, 14:51
(KTM990 and Spyder riding together - interested combination but apparently virtually the same motor in both),

:oi-grr: really? Hey Joe.....hear that mate? We got a new name for the Katie....those are Spyder webs on the side of the 2009 tanks, not roads....:)
It is all true!

Waihou Thumper
18th October 2009, 14:54
Well St Arnaud was sunny until I left - the lady at the shop where I bought the muesli bars told me it would rain ('because it always rains here...') and she was right. 160km of wet and wetter to Westport :baby:. I'd just been telling an old bloke how good my wet weather gear was but it (and my endurance) were about to be sorely tested by the famous West Coast Weather.

Finally arriving in Westport thinking '...and why do I like riding again?' Couldn't really answer that at the time... cold, wet, no-where to shelter and get dried off - so I went to Westport 'beach' and took some photo's to prove at least that I'd been there when they found my lifeless frozen body on the side of the road.:cold:.

Anyway, after eating a hot pie decided I really had no choice but to keep going so headed off to Greymouth where it incredibly had actually stopped raining. Still wet and cold but at least remembering that riding could be fun I decided to keep going to Christchurch.

That's where it gets better... Arthurs Pass is such a great road! Stopped at the top (where it was pleasantly warm) and caught up with some fellow riders (KTM990 and Spyder riding together - interested combination but apparently virtually the same motor in both), had a hot chocolate - felt almost human again.

So nearly got pinged by a coppah :Police: with a radar gun coming out of Arthurs Pass - (he had it aimed right at me so I hit the brakes, hopped off the bike and wandered around the information centre till he'd gone (on 80 demerits I'm desperate!)

Anyway it was a beautiful ride down the other side - even got my gravel fix on the Lake Colleridge road - just amazing scenery :2thumbsup. Got to Chch about 7:00 - hot shower never felt so good!

Pictures are Lake Rotoiti (St Arnauds), Westport Beach, Arthurs Pass and Lake Colleridge Road.

:cool: I gotta get down there real soon.....

CRM
18th October 2009, 22:03
:cool: I gotta get down there real soon.....

Not too soon - wait till it warms up...

CRM
21st October 2009, 21:25
I've just had three days working in Christchurch but this afternoon I had a client to visit in Timaru, so set off down that boring road with only about three corners in 160km :oi-grr:. It was a nice day though... so after I'd finished about 4pm I decided to head up towards the mountains for some pictures and a more interesting ride.

I headed up to Pleasant Point, then Fairlie and Geraldine (nice corners!). Heaps of snow on the mountains (see pic below), then cut back to the main road down a nice gravel road (if you have to ride in straight lines you might as well do it on gravel - way more fun). So I got my gravel fix again.

When I got to the Rakaia River it was getting late but I've seen those tracks alongside the River and always wanted to go exploring down one. With my new MT63 on the back I figured I could get out okay if it all went sour:wacko:.

Anyway, with a full 22 litres plus my laptop and projector on the ventura rack the bike was quite top heavy so a couple of K's down the track managed to do a low-speed drop in a puddle. Had to take the bag off the rack before I could lift the bike up:crybaby: (I'll blame the front tyre...)

Anyway, a bit of adventure never hurt anyone eh?:2thumbsup

I'm heading north tomorrow crossing over the straight and hoping to be home in Whangarei by Friday night...

CRM
26th October 2009, 11:42
I rode Chch to Picton, then up to Levin Thursday, then Levin to Whangarei Friday. My butt was starting to really feel it about half way up the North Island:blink:.

The XR had developed a problem while I was on the West Coast with the auto-decomp spring - makes a funny noise on idle - but didn't seem to be affecting performance at normal running so decided to make it home and get it sorted there. I'll take it in to the guys to look at this week. Otherwise the XR went great... 3880km in total. Longest day was the first at about 750km Whangarei to Napier via Urewera's and the last day Levin to Whangarei was about the same. I came through the desert road and it was cold! I didn't stop for pictures because of the view but because my extremities were threatening to drop off:cold::cold::cold:. Fortunately it fined up from there through the road around the west of Lake Taupo, then up through Matamata where it actually was sunny all the way home. Labour weekend traffic was pretty chronic from Auckland up so I did SH16 (still on of the nicest rides in the country) then the Mangawhai Heads road (first time I've actually ridden it - also a great diversion from the main drag).

A good trip, but let down a little by the weather and a couple of mechanical issues. I don't think I'd do it again on the XR (unless I was taking it somewhere to do a proper adventure ride). I think for the amount of gear I needed to carry and the distances to cover I really need a tourer... hopefully keeping the XR as well.

photo's are Desert Road, Whakamaru, and finally back in Northland - Langs Beach.

Lambo
4th November 2009, 19:35
Sounds like you had a great trip, I'm jealous.

CRM
4th November 2009, 20:51
Sounds like you had a great trip, I'm jealous.

Mate you can buy my bike and do it yourself...
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=251020313

Woody2
4th November 2009, 21:02
Mate you can buy my bike and do it yourself...
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=251020313

Good write up CRM, wouldn't you regret going to a straight tourer with no gravel capability after this type of adventure....

dino3310
5th November 2009, 10:06
Good write up CRM, wouldn't you regret going to a straight tourer with no gravel capability after this type of adventure....

yeah something like a DRBIG would be a worthy canidate

JATZ
5th November 2009, 16:34
yeah something like a DRBIG would be a worthy canidate

What he said /\/\ :Punk:

CRM
5th November 2009, 19:49

Yeah that's why I'm looking at a DL650...had a ride on a mate's and liked it a lot.

dino3310
5th November 2009, 21:31
Yeah that's why I'm looking at a DL650...had a ride on a mate's and liked it a lot.

mate you should try a BIG, put a sheep skin on her and she thump thump heaven:laugh:

Woody2
5th November 2009, 21:39

Sweet, saw on your trademe advert the reference to sports tourers and thought you might be flagging gravel

CRM
6th November 2009, 21:10
Sweet, saw on your trademe advert the reference to sports tourers and thought you might be flagging gravel

Nah... couldn't face that. Even when I had the 700 Magna I took it on gravel. The handling was okay apart from the shocks...

Really looking forward to picking up the VStrom on Sunday and coming back up North through SH16 - maybe even find some gravel out that way to try it on.:wari: