PDA

View Full Version : New bike, new rider, new member (psydkick)

psydkick
14th September 2009, 17:15
hi all. i just bought a bike, my first its a suz gs500e, 98
i take possesion of it in about a week, and i am ITCHING for it
is there anything about this particular bike any of you can tell me? good/bad what to watch for. anything actually.

oh and also i still have to get my license... so...
how am i supposed to get my learners, i understand the max size is a 250 when i only have A 500??
is there a way round that?

and i would love to hear from single lady riders 25-30 yrs. just to know youre out there, y'know? i cant think of anything hotter

MSTRS
14th September 2009, 17:30
Very functional bike. Simple, reliable, workhorse.
But there is no way round the 250 thing for learners. Exemptions can be had at restricted stage. So unless some-one knows something I don't, then you're going to have to risk it, or get a 250 to use in the meantime.
FWIW I don't recommend you 'risk it'. Fines for licence condition breaches are $400 each, and you'll not get insurance either.

Mom
14th September 2009, 18:03
It looks tidy enough hopefully someone that knows a bit about bikes looked it over for you, test rode it even?

I would seriously recommend you resolve your lack of license issue sooner than later.

Hard Nut
14th September 2009, 18:19
Put a hold on the 500 mate, the temptation will kill you and empty your wallet.
Go the 250 way or the LAMS Approved Bikes.

Nuts

Ender EnZed
14th September 2009, 18:22
It sure looks nice but it's not legal.

Hard Nut
14th September 2009, 18:29
Play it smart and safe, don't bring on something as tempting as that.

Nuts

hospitalfood
14th September 2009, 18:34
you can hire a bike to sit your licence.
in the mean time if you don't want to get done by the police i suggest that you dress very tidy on your bike in the proper gear and always obey the road rules.
also, there are plenty of police members on this site. not bad guys but be carefull regarding telling everyone you have no licence. piss off the wrong person here and you may have the northland cops getting a desciption of your bike and the info you have no licence. in fact, they may already have it.

Radar
14th September 2009, 19:11
Put a hold on the 500 mate, the temptation will kill you and empty your wallet.
Go the 250 way or the LAMS Approved Bikes.

Nuts

Good advice. Are you willing to take the chance of paying a hefty fine, and ride a bike with no insurance?
Go the 250 route - you can have a great time on a 250 if you get the right one.

The GS500 is OK, but a bit prone to rust.
Try this site (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=GS500+suzuki+review) for reviews on the GS500 - wait 5 seconds for the page to load.

psydkick
15th September 2009, 13:37
thanks for your input and advice, i just wanted to make something very clear... i have no intention to break the law and ride it w/out getting myself legal enough to do so, i know its gonna be a S.O.B in the meantime. one of the main reasons im getting this one is because im getting it privately through a family member, mates rates etc etc. yes it's been test-riden by my bike savvy brother.
yep ill be going for the license asap and its just going to be a painful few months for me until i am road legal and insured

sleeqe2000
15th September 2009, 14:26
It's going to be be more than a few months before you're legal to ride that baby.

If you're over 25 you'll have to do a minimum of 6 months on your restricted and if you pass that then you can do your full in 3 months time only if you fork out for the advanced drivers course and pass that (which isn't hard).

You may be getting a good deal on the 500 but seriously you will need to get a 250 anyway to get some experience.....

psydkick
15th September 2009, 14:33
6 months on learners, 3 months on restricted with approved course
youre right, i should find a cheap 250 to carry me through

Cheshire Cat
15th September 2009, 16:12
Welcome to the site:banana:

KrazyGixxerBoy
15th September 2009, 20:19
I can't add anything that hasn't already been said..there's some smart advice up above! So, good luck and welcome to the site mate!

YellowDog
15th September 2009, 20:35
thanks for your input and advice, i just wanted to make something very clear... i have no intention to break the law and ride it w/out getting myself legal enough to do so, i know its gonna be a S.O.B in the meantime. one of the main reasons im getting this one is because im getting it privately through a family member, mates rates etc etc. yes it's been test-riden by my bike savvy brother.
yep ill be going for the license asap and its just going to be a painful few months for me until i am road legal and insured
Good to hear!

:sweatdrop

naphazoline
22nd September 2009, 19:12
Welcome onboard KB Psydkick.