PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent instrument cluster fault

Drunken Monkey
25th October 2003, 12:36
[in regards to a 1988 GSXR-750J]

G'day all,

I have an intermittent fault on my instrument cluster - the neutral light requires some 'encourangement' to work sometimes (usually a slight tap) and the last time I went for a ride, my tachometer failed to register any engine speed for short periods at seemingly random intervals. I suspect it may just be some loose wiring behind the cluster, but if anyone with a bit more auto-electrical knowledge knows of any other things I should be checking, ie earthing, then any (informed) advice would be appreciated muchly.

DM.

wkid_one
25th October 2003, 13:33
Have you noticed if all the electrics are dying - or just the instrument cluster?

Drunken Monkey
25th October 2003, 14:12
So far only the Neutral light and the tachometer...I had a nosey a little earlier - it looks a little corroded back there, but not badly. I might just pull it all apart, give it a clean and see how it goes.

Dave
25th October 2003, 14:16
First thing to do is unplug all the plugs at the back of the instruments and clean all the terminals,tighten the connectors carefully with a small screwdriver and reconnect all of the plugs.
Its quite common and often they even arc a little bit and start to melt the plastic on the plug.

Drunken Monkey
7th November 2003, 15:52
Think I figured it out...problem didn't start until a short 'sometime' after I changed the headlamps from standard 50/60W to 90/100W bulbs. I noticed just recently I didn't have any problems when the lights weren't running...hmmm...

Anyway, I have put the standard bulbs back in and I haven't had the problem repeat on me - yet.

Fingers crossed, anyway. Makes it much easier to sell if the techo doesn't suddenly drop to zero on the test rider...

Thanks to all for your suggestions.