PDA

View Full Version : Pillion passenger and CoG

Aitch
10th April 2005, 08:10
When a pillion passenger hops on yer bike, specially the ones with the steeply angled seat, does it make a huge difference to your centre of gravity?

Fart
10th April 2005, 08:10
It certainly does, especially the heavy ones. :killingme

flyin
10th April 2005, 08:43
yup, big changes needed in riding style, ask about it wen you are going for you full and the instuctor will help ya out.......

basicly easier to wheelie. harder to stoppie...... :whistle:

Aitch
10th April 2005, 08:46
Got my full in about 1982..........................

flyin
10th April 2005, 09:13
sweet...... been riding with a pillion much? the shift in CG is very noticable , showing the physics behind it would take a little longer, dont have the software to draw a bunch of pretty pictures with formulae today tho.

I jst dont push the bike to it's limits with a passenger, I get a slap on the head when shit scrapes...........

Ixion
10th April 2005, 12:03
When a pillion passenger hops on yer bike, specially the ones with the steeply angled seat, does it make a huge difference to your centre of gravity?
Wellll now, it was a long time ago , buuutt I seem to recall, that if you handle things right, it can make a big difference to your centre of gravity when the pillion hops off the bike. As in your coG goes from vertical to horizontal :innocent:

inlinefour
10th April 2005, 12:10

It changes big time and if the bike is set up for 1 rider then the handling can turn to shyte also...

NC
10th April 2005, 12:45
It certainly does, especially the heavy ones. :killingme
:tugger:

:sneaky2:

NC
10th April 2005, 12:46
If the pillion knows what they are doing and they sit in the right position, usally you can't even tell they are there. :cool:

Hitcher
10th April 2005, 12:53
Before letting your pillion hop on the back, it pays to have a wee chat with them in advance regarding the "rules of the ride".

1. Don't get on or off until I tell you.
2. Mount and dismount to the left.
3. Watch the exhaust pipe(s). It's (they're) hot.
4. Agree a signal the pillion can give if they want you to slow down or stop.
5. Show them where the grab handles are or, if you have a sportsbike, how they should brace under braking.
6. Don't try and move around too much, particularly when cornering. Sitting like a sack of potatoes is good.
7. Feet on the pegs at all times.
8. Don't shift your weight on the pegs (it steers the bike).
9. Enjoy your ride!

Aitch
10th April 2005, 13:00
Wellll now, it was a long time ago , buuutt I seem to recall, that if you handle things right, it can make a big difference to your centre of gravity when the pillion hops off the bike. As in your coG goes from vertical to horizontal :innocent:

If the bike's a nice shiny new GSX750F.......at least that's what I'm hoping! *g*

Wolf
11th April 2005, 09:55
Before letting your pillion hop on the back, it pays to have a wee chat with them in advance regarding the "rules of the ride".

3. Watch the exhaust pipe(s). It's (they're) hot.

Should have told strayjuliet that first time she rode on my bike. She still has the scar.

Fart
11th April 2005, 10:02
I hate pillions on my cbr. It totally stuffs up the handling. The worst pillions are the ones that is new to bikes. You corner left and the pillion shift to the right for the fear of the angle.

zooter
14th April 2005, 23:11
I have never had a pillion and the thought of dropping the beast is kind of making me hesitate to invite a particular little lady aboard.
I've ridden the G for about 6 months and the low speed handling really puts the shits up me on a regular basis, dropped it once out of lack of concentration and fatigue. It is very heavy and high coG already without adding pillion.
Hoping Hitcher will be reading this and add to his pointers list, any other wise old hands welcome to pitch in of course.

Lou Girardin
15th April 2005, 08:22
Adapt your riding to suit and you'll barely notice them. We toured two-up with 3 Givi bags full of stuff, the only negative effect was a bit of wallow on faster corners and the steering was a tad slower. Things that the new shock should fix.

bugjuice
15th April 2005, 09:06
most sports bikes are designed with 1 person in mind too, so the rider will often be sat near the centre of the bike. When someone jumps on the back, the centre of gravity and weight is shifted backwards which will make the front become light.
As for hogs and tourers etc, they have often been designed with a pillion in mind, altho not all have the set up for it too (susspension etc)..
Having someone on the back just generally can make the bike feel a bit more sluggish than normal