PDA

View Full Version : Waikato: 500 miles in 12 hours

STJim
16th September 2009, 11:47
please see attached

STJim
4th October 2009, 16:05
I rocked up at Cambridge this morning at 7.00 am Weather was very wet. collective decesion made to postpone for a week until Sunday 11 October

Gremlin
4th October 2009, 16:11
mmm most excellent, I could be in for this then...

Highlander
4th October 2009, 16:14
No way I could have done it today, but I just might be able to swing it next week.

Zapf
4th October 2009, 23:29
mmm most excellent, I could be in for this then...

might be there too

STJim
5th October 2009, 08:06
Gremlin,Highlander & Zapf
You would all be very welcome. Need to be at Cambridge BP for 6.50 am to leave at 7.00 am

Gremlin
5th October 2009, 16:57
Yeah, about 2 hours scheduled from Auckland to Cambridge :sweatdrop

so err... how come we don't get the route before hand to plot into our GPS's? :innocent:

insomnia01
6th October 2009, 06:25
Yeah, about 2 hours scheduled from Auckland to Cambridge :sweatdrop

so err... how come we don't get the route before hand to plot into our GPS's? :innocent:

Its run very much like the Grand challenge format... not to sure whether everyone sticks together or sets their own pace

STJim
6th October 2009, 12:32
Its run very much like the Grand challenge format... not to sure whether everyone sticks together or sets their own pace

This ride has been run for a number of years. The route is kept confidential until the morning.
We usually stick together although fast riders may go on ahead with premission of the runs leader.
The main group tries to run at an average including stops of 75 to 80 kms per hour.
If anyone wants to come down from Auckland and would like to stay over in "the Tron" send me a private message and we will see what we can organise.
Cheers

Gremlin
6th October 2009, 18:19
You get the GC route either on Friday night (late ish often) or Saturday morning, then start Saturday arvo.

Sounds good, just never done it... the likes of ST etc can kick my arse in fuel range, so I have to stop more often... it was 10 stops on the GC last year :sweatdrop

STJim
6th October 2009, 20:57
You get the GC route either on Friday night (late ish often) or Saturday morning, then start Saturday arvo.

Sounds good, just never done it... the likes of ST etc can kick my arse in fuel range, so I have to stop more often... it was 10 stops on the GC last year :sweatdrop

I can give you a clue or two. Think east including parts of SH 5 & SH 2 plus Tiniroto and Opotoki
Of course if the weather is going to be "shit" on that route an alternative may be considered.
Cheers

Gremlin
6th October 2009, 22:00
nah, no point unless the specific route is given... gps don't do "somewhere over there" :lol:

Cool, Opotiki, I haven't done any of the east cape past Tauranga/Napier... ah, looks like several roads I have wanted to do :woohoo:

edit: I can do 200 easy, probably 230 before reserve... just in case you're plotting for ST and blackbird :D

STJim
7th October 2009, 08:23
nah,

edit: I can do 200 easy, probably 230 before reserve... just in case you're plotting for ST and blackbird :D

Fuel stops Taupo,Bay view, Wairoa, Gisborne or thereabouts if necessary Opotiki and Rotoura.
Is that enough information for the GPS as well?:scooter:

STJim
7th October 2009, 08:28
The weather forcast for what I understand is the intended route is looking good. Should be dry roads all the way:woohoo:

Gremlin
7th October 2009, 12:25
Fuel stops Taupo,Bay view, Wairoa, Gisborne or thereabouts if necessary Opotiki and Rotoura.
Is that enough information for the GPS as well?:scooter:
Fantabulous... the GPS thinks we can do the optimal route between those points in 9 hours 40 minutes...

Damn machines, as long as it has a power feed it doesn't give a crap about food or fuel :oi-grr:

:lol:

STJim
7th October 2009, 12:27
Fantabulous... the GPS thinks we can do the optimal route between those points in 9 hours 40 minutes...

Damn machines, as long as it has a power feed it doesn't give a crap about food or fuel :oi-grr:

:lol:

We anticipate based on past experance that the time taken will be about 11 hours total

STJim
8th October 2009, 18:49
hamilton Ulysses machines at Cambridge last Sunday moring for the ride that never was

Gremlin
9th October 2009, 01:53
hamilton Ulysses machines at Cambridge last Sunday moring for the ride that never was
oh... sweet! You didn't mention there would be that many fuel tankers available during the ride :whistle:

STJim
12th October 2009, 06:32
We had a great total of 10 bikes including Gremlin and Zaph.
will post a tour report when I return from Australia after 26 October

Gremlin
12th October 2009, 21:24
I didn't even need a fuel tanker (although I was very worried on the first leg).

Somehow, the 990 became super economical, and I was managing 240-260km out of 15L... something I have never done before. I think its the use of 6th gear, a bit low at 115 indicated ish, but pays dividends on fuel.

Great ride, hadn't ridden most roads. Snow on the roadside of Napier - Taupo was the first and rather unusual experience for that. SH1 was super boring as always. Wairoa to Bayview ish, Zapf and I left late from Wairoa, after he spent time cleaning up an exploded Lift Plus bottle :lol:

Turned up the pace a few notches, and damn, those roads are good!