PDA

View Full Version : Just out of curiosity

PrincessBandit
18th September 2009, 07:23
Yesterday riding home through a crossroad intersection which is governed east/west by give way signs I waited for an approaching car from my right.

No worries there; car went past, I started through the intersection. Now facing me, with indicator flashing to say "I'm turning right (across in front of you)" was another car. I move into the intersection since I'm going straight ahead thinking, I have right of way. Ah, no. Car (driven by young chappy, with second young chappy in front passengers seat) decides he has right of way instead.

Thankfully I wasn't aiming to burn anyone off at said intersection so I wasn't dropping the clutch for a quick sprint. Managed to stop my bike in time in middle of lane to let him shove through. There was a cop car behind him and I wondered if he would do anything. I showed my displeasure at the boys as I continued through but decided just to get home (things to do, dinner to cook and all that). So I didn't get to see whether the young driver was pulled over in light of his rude intersection manners.

Anyone know whether the police do anything in instances like this or is it a case of "only if you actually lay a complaint"?

I'm going to ph the Manurewa station shortly to ask; but wondered if anyone had had a similar experience here. Will post answer from the powers that be once I've phoned them.

hospitalfood
18th September 2009, 07:54
Anyone know whether the police do anything in instances like this or is it a case of "only if you actually lay a complaint"?

depends on the time of day. might be home time.............

p.dath
18th September 2009, 07:56
It's probably not worth doing anything about, especially if you don't have their number plate.

Otherwise you'll just end up filling out a form that is only used by a statistician.

CookMySock
18th September 2009, 09:10
He's just pushing in because he can. I'll do the same if motorists force me to wait unduly when they have right of way and refuse to take it, but I won't drive right into their path as he has done with you.

It's really one of those "I'm more important than you" type things, which can be a little upsetting, but hey its a little thing. ;)

Steve

vifferman
18th September 2009, 09:35
There was a cop car behind him and I wondered if he would do anything.
Doubtful, unless he was speeding, but one must live in hope, mustn't one?

FJRider
18th September 2009, 09:46
There are some who believe cars have right of way ahead of motorcycles ... ahead of everybody else even. Give way if you have to ... and live.

Treat all other vehicles as though they are out to get you. Fewer supprises then...

TerminalAddict
18th September 2009, 10:15
"might" is right!
They're bigger .. they have the right of way

MSTRS
18th September 2009, 10:32
Under the terms of the road code, that driver opposite you must give way to you (going straight ahead). The fact that you had to take evasive action to avoid being hit, which should have been observed by the cop, should have been sufficient reason for that cop to issue a ticket for 'failing to give way'.
Interested to hear the outcome...

FJRider
18th September 2009, 10:44
Under the terms of the road code, that driver opposite you must give way to you (going straight ahead). The fact that you had to take evasive action to avoid being hit, which should have been observed by the cop, should have been sufficient reason for that cop to issue a ticket for 'failing to give way'.

But if the right turning car had entered the intersection before her, she would have to wait untill the intersection was clear before she moved. Give way ... means give way to all other (moving) traffic.

That cop may have had a mission that took priority.

MSTRS
18th September 2009, 10:49
But if the right turning car had entered the intersection before her, she would have to wait untill the intersection was clear before she moved. Give way ... means give way to all other (moving) traffic.

Um, I think you will find that order of movement is not a priority. Give way to the right.

FJRider
18th September 2009, 10:56
Um, I think you will find that order of movement is not a priority. Give way to the right.

Having ...or risking an accident, because she had "right of way" would not be a priority either.

MSTRS
18th September 2009, 13:05
Having ...or risking an accident, because she had "right of way" would not be a priority either.

Of course not. Discretion, and all that. The other guy was still in the wrong, and I'd be pissed at a cop that witnessed and let it go.

The Baron
18th September 2009, 13:29
Sorry to hear this Princessbandit. But at the end of the day you did the right thing - made it home alive. Good on ya.

PrincessBandit
18th September 2009, 17:45
Rang the local station after work today and the response was basically "They may have pulled the car over and issued the $150? fine for failing to give way, but if they were in the process of being dispatched elsewhere then probably not". This is pretty much what I was expecting, so my curiosity was satisfied in that regard.

I guess as they didn't knock me off the bike there was possibly "no need" to do anything about it. I'd like to think though that if they had hit me the police car would have stopped regardless of being en route elsewhere.
(And no, I wasn't waiting particularly - I was already starting to move into the intersection as the car we both had to wait for went past me. So it wasn't like I was holding the young guys up while I extra cautiously took my time to proceed).

Biggles08
18th September 2009, 20:12
the cops may have been on their way to dunkin donuts and it was closing in 10 minutes so had no time to stop them.

Personally I think you should have stopped and complained to the police there and then as they may very well go and do this again and the outcome may be a totally different story. I would have definately let the 'boys' know I was very unhappy!

McJim
18th September 2009, 20:22
I got hit by a car in 2006 that turned across into path even though I had priority. I was wearing a day glo safety vest at the time. I don't wear it any more and I don't get hit. I think the drivers treat it as a target or somat.

Toaster
18th September 2009, 20:32
If you make a complaint at a station....

... when they say "Did you get the rego plate at all?"

You say yeah sure did, then hold up the entire rear bumper you removed after following the culprit home.

Patrick
20th September 2009, 17:28

Easy quota. Bonus 5 fly buys points too....

Unless they were lazy feckers.

Would have stopped in the intersection and looked at the cops, then at the wrongdoer, back to the cops and yell, "You gonna sort that shit out or what?"

Then follow them to where they stopped the shite.

90s
25th September 2009, 14:30
Unlucky PB, but another example of how we have to take care of ourselves out there.

It might even be likely that the cops do not understand priority on the road. I knew a traffic cop that failed to understand a lot of the road rules - he had his own version in his head.

At the moment its really getting me down the amount of unescesary dangerous situations I see caused by the "give way to the right turn" rule. On nearly every intersection I see on my commute there is a painted give way / stop line which is ignored by people thinking they have a blanket right, and see the random stopping on the main roads of cars giving way when turning left to other cars who have no priority.

Aggh.

You took the right decision. I would rather not crash than be in the right.

Jantar
25th September 2009, 15:36
He's just pushing in because he can. I'll do the same if motorists force me to wait unduly when they have right of way .......
You, sir, would be one of the most dangerous road users on this site.

varminter
28th September 2009, 18:37
Uh oh, I see a fight looming.

Laxi
28th September 2009, 18:45
Uh oh, I see a fight looming.

not on KB? surely

marty
28th September 2009, 18:57

in fact, he's a dangerous bastard.

peasea
1st October 2009, 20:50

That's an offensive post, give yourself 8 demerit points. I have some you can have.

nothingflash
1st October 2009, 21:05
It might even be likely that the cops do not understand priority on the road. I knew a traffic cop that failed to understand a lot of the road rules - he had his own version in his head.

Yep, I agree here. I have a couple of old school mates who are coppers now and apparently at least attempting an education is all you need these days.

It definitely shouldn't be taken for granted that they know 'all' the rules...

nothingflash
1st October 2009, 21:06
not on KB? surely

and surely not with DB

peasea
1st October 2009, 21:29
Yep, I agree here. I have a couple of old school mates who are coppers now and apparently at least attempting an education is all you need these days.

It definitely shouldn't be taken for granted that they know 'all' the rules...

Or ANY, come to that.

nothingflash
2nd October 2009, 19:49
Or ANY, come to that.

Although they knew which ones they were breaking before the took the oath.

sosman
2nd October 2009, 22:30

Yep ..what he said!

I bet ya if it was the other way round.....the copper would have most definitely pulled you over :oi-grr: