PDA

View Full Version : BSA project.

98tls
18th September 2009, 15:54
Not mine,anyone able to tell me what year this thing would be roughly,has the thing been put together from two different bikes or is it as it should be (whats left of it).?Apparently put in a shed as a runner and left,has good compression etc.

slofox
18th September 2009, 16:01
With that suspension it is probably pre about 1953 from memory...

Fark - we usta make drag bikes outa those - fuel 'em on methanol, wind up the compression, put a drainpipe in the carb for a jet, spend an hour pushing the fuckin' thing round the pits to get it to start...blow your ear drums out when it finally did. And usually crash on the first run of the day...the "good old days" huh...? Can't say I miss the pushing much...

Blackbird
18th September 2009, 16:12
Yeah, reckon that Slofox has pretty much nailed it. Job to tell whether it's completely original or a mix. BSA were producing both jampot rear ends and your type between '53 and '55.

Can't tell whether yours is a 350 or 500 but have attached a photo of a B33 from 1955.

BTW, your oil tank cap is the rocker cover from a pre-unit Triumph:2thumbsup

98tls
18th September 2009, 16:14
Cheers guys,its definately a 500.

hospitalfood
18th September 2009, 16:21
it is the type of thing i have been looking for as a bobber project.
what is the deal with it ?

Brian d marge
18th September 2009, 16:21
I've bought a A7 frame which is 49 onwards , with the same plunger rear end

Jampot was a name given to the matchless suspension units that were so large they resembled Jampots

any more photos available ???

Stephen

98tls
18th September 2009, 16:30
I've bought a A7 frame which is 49 onwards , with the same plunger rear end

Jampot was a name given to the matchless suspension units that were so large they resembled Jampots

any more photos available ???

Stephen
Just these 2 plus one of what he wants it to look like;)

98tls
18th September 2009, 16:38
it is the type of thing i have been looking for as a bobber project.
what is the deal with it ? Not sure where he bought the thing but paid $700 for it,been sitting in his shed awhile and finally decided to do something with it,pistons been replaced etc but timimg was never done so that will be his first job.

Brian d marge
18th September 2009, 16:39
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=104855

Mines heading this way

Just waiting for some frame measurements

Stephen

98tls
18th September 2009, 16:44
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=104855

Mines heading this way

Just waiting for some frame measurements

Stephen
Nice work,oh to ave 1/2 the skills to attempt such a thing.Enjoy and keep us posted eh.

Motu
18th September 2009, 17:37
That's the one on ADVrider - and I told the guy from the start that it was a Goldstar,but he still doesn't believe me.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504810

jellywrestler
18th September 2009, 17:39
engine numbers would be a help, ZB, BB or similar prefix would help with the period it was built followed by 31 32 33 or 34 denoting model and then the engine number would narrow it down even further
31 is 350cc B31
32 is 350cc goldstar
33 is 500cc B33
34 is 500cc goldstar
also is the head and barrel alloy or steel that may have been painted

98tls
18th September 2009, 17:54
That's the one on ADVrider - and I told the guy from the start that it was a Goldstar,but he still doesn't believe me.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504810 Yep M thats the one.,hes a longtimer on the TL forum.So its a Goldstar.

Ixion
18th September 2009, 18:09
Head and barrel look to be a Goldstar. But they may be Goldie bits on a cooking bottom end. I suspect it's a bitsa.

Brian d marge
18th September 2009, 18:16
bugger me I've got a gold star frame :buggerd:

not

looks the same though , wonder if they used a lighter cast Iron for the lugs !

Mine

Well its a funny one ,

see the thread I posted for details , but its borne out of a bike I want , and a rapidly drying money source due to new house and kids

and the Japanese being anal about some things ...such as Im sorry sir I have never heard of SAE1020,,,,

So I will ( the current plan ) draw the thing in CAD, do all the calculations with the computer ( FEA) to size parts

If I can get it right first time , then minimise the machining ( tool changes, parts etc ) then that leaves me with a straight forward assembly and a lower cost ( now that that Dutch company has dropped it 3D printing costs mould making , if needed is as cheap as .........

Thats the plan so far ...........:wacko:

I will draw the thing first , then go from there .......

Stephen

No

Motu
18th September 2009, 18:22
Head and barrel look to be a Goldstar. But they may be Goldie bits on a cooking bottom end. I suspect it's a bitsa.

Check out the ADV link - it's an XB33 bottom end with an early Goldstar top end....B33 cams,B31 frame.

Ixion
18th September 2009, 18:31
Yith. Bitsa. Still, could be the basis of a nice bike. I never had anything against mongrels.

Front wheel's later than the frame. Wonder what the gearbox is. Just might be a wide ratio scrambles box ? Or a close ratio?

98tls
18th September 2009, 18:44
Was interested wether it was a bitsa or not,sounds like it is eh.Definitly the basis for a nice bike methinks.

Motu
18th September 2009, 19:10
A Goldstar top end is a forever unfulfilled dream for a B31/B33 owner....but not much good without the cams to take advantage of the bigger ports and valves.You could certainly make a nice bike out of it.

98tls
18th September 2009, 19:13
A Goldstar top end is a forever unfulfilled dream for a B31/B33 owner....but not much good without the cams to take advantage of the bigger ports and valves.You could certainly make a nice bike out of it. Whats the year etc of the bike in the 3rd pic (last lot i posted M)not sure if its the best photo to use for such a question.looks very nice.

Motu
18th September 2009, 20:11
I think the plunger frame came out in 1950,and the swingarm in 1954 - so somewhere in that range.An anorac could pinpoint it to the names and family members of the assembly workers....but in this day and age very little is original.