PDA

View Full Version : Ride Wednesday 29th

Firefight
25th October 2003, 21:26
anyone interested in a ride Wednesday , heading to Raglan for lunch, departing Caltex Bombay @ approx 10.00 (allows for semi punctual types) and of course weather permitting,:niceone:

cheers firefight:cool:

bikerboy
26th October 2003, 09:15
me :rockon:

Sycophant
27th October 2003, 14:15
I am interested in general - but I am not sure if I am up to it. I've never ridden more than 60K in a stretch before. What are the roads like? Can I keep up with a Duc and an R6?

I might be a bit far for a first outing for me - opinions?

Firefight
27th October 2003, 18:40
Originally posted by Sycophant
I am interested in general - but I am not sure if I am up to it. I've never ridden more than 60K in a stretch before. What are the roads like? Can I keep up with a Duc and an R6?

I might be a bit far for a first outing for me - opinions?

Hey no worries, I ride like a nanna, but anyway when we ride we always keep a track on each other, roads are good, veiws are great, we stop often if required, it's up to you man,

firefight:cool:

bikerboy
27th October 2003, 18:40
Andrew and Aff_man both ride 250's and they not only keep up with the R6 but leave the duc for dead. I'm more laid back and vcasual about my riding.( read: slow cautious pasta poseur).:p

We generally stop every hour, either fuel of coffee/food so you'll make it fine. Besides it's a nice ride and a lovely destination. the weather is also predicted to be good.:cool:

Sycophant
27th October 2003, 18:46
Well, you've pretty much convinced me - assuming nothing comes up for Wednesday I guess I will be there. Mind you, how long will it take me to make it to Bombay from the Shore at that time of day?

I wonder if I will have the money for petrol and the like - I am sure I will find some.

Firefight
27th October 2003, 18:54
Well, you've pretty much convinced me - assuming nothing comes up for Wednesday I guess I will be there. Mind you, how long will it take me to make it to Bombay from the Shore at that time of day?
Andrew lives on the shore, he does the shore to bombay start point on a regular basis, give him a pm , he will know how long it takes, best time to leave etc,

firefight:eek:

Kiwi
27th October 2003, 19:19
Depends on time and traffic – about 45 min

Have a nice one

see ya

Kiwi

The weather forecast is not the best

MikeL
27th October 2003, 20:43
Originally posted by Firefight
Hey no worries, I ride like a nanna

Yeah I can vouch for that - last trip with Firefight he didn't go over 150 once! :p

Seriously, there's no reason to feel intimidated. Frequent stops, looking out for each other to make sure no-one gets lost, no pressure to ride at anything other than your own pace. Don't hesitate - just do it !

Andrew
27th October 2003, 21:15

I wonder if I will have the money for petrol and the like - I am sure I will find some.

Firefight (Dave) is a really cool guy. If you want to get into his good books follow these two simple rules:

1) Every time he stops for fuel, remind him that you've got another 300k's to use up in ur current tank.

2)Frequently tell him that his R6 looks really cool in black.

If you follow these two simple rules your sure to get on like a house on fire.
:niceone:

Firefight
28th October 2003, 06:41
Originally posted by Andrew
Firefight (Dave) is a really cool guy. If you want to get into his good books follow these two simple rules:

1) Every time he stops for fuel, remind him that you've got another 300k's to use up in ur current tank.

2)Frequently tell him that his R6 looks really cool in black.

If you follow these two simple rules your sure to get on like a house on fire.
:niceone:

Hey Sycophant, ignore Andrew, while a dam good rider, he has a strange sense of hummor, (that's why we get on so well !), and for the record I hate the black paint scheme on my R6, but it was the last bike available @ that price, Have already put my name on a Blue 2004 model:eek:

bikerboy
28th October 2003, 10:45
Strange that view FF. I know you don't like to hear it but I was talking to numerous KB'ers on Sunday at Puke. The unanimous opinion was the black with red flames R6 is totally hot looking.:eek:

Simon took us on a quick litte jaunt and we were only meters from Raglan Monday. The roads were great but it's a long ride. If the weather is not perfect I'm out. Still recovering fron yesterday and any excuss not to go
seems likely. :o

Damn uncomfortable italian crap:p

Firefight
28th October 2003, 10:53
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bikerboy
[B]Strange that view FF. I know you don't like to hear it but I was talking to numerous KB'ers on Sunday at Puke. The unanimous opinion was the black with red flames R6 is totally hot looking.:eek:
. If the weather is not perfect I'm out.

Yeah it's not lookin good ATM., will reasess in the morning,

and BTW I still hate the colour scheme.:argh:

Coldkiwi
28th October 2003, 11:31
Originally posted by bikerboy

Damn uncomfortable italian crap:p

you want to get yourself a corbin seat then BB. i'm pretty sure motomail can point you in the right direction.. or someone here.

Kiwi
28th October 2003, 14:33
Hi folks

Is it a cruise day? If yes, count me in (weather permitting). If not, I have to stay at home, because I am afraid to go faster then 100 km/h

see ya

Kiwi

:D

bikerboy
28th October 2003, 15:41
Ck it isn't the seat, I've enough padding for that, haha:(

It's that arse up head down knees in your chin weight on your wrist thing that after FIVE HOURS get a bit much. Never been a problem before but then there are usually stops every hour or so, not one in THREE.:gob:

Then this thing VIBRATES like mad compared to the Duc. so my hands start to tingle after TWO hours.
:shit:

Kiwi, be good to see you out on a ride, it's been a while. I will also be going slow IF I go so you/I'll have company.:done:

Coldkiwi
28th October 2003, 16:47
Ok, so why not take the 996 out for the long cruising rides then? Its a shame not to keep that sweet sounding machine it in use just cause you've got a new italian stallion!

Kiwi
28th October 2003, 17:24
I think I take my GS for a ride - the old lady needs some fresh air. We meet some where?

Kiwi

Firefight
28th October 2003, 18:12
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kiwi
[B]I think I take my GS for a ride - the old lady needs some fresh air. We meet some where..

Caltex Top of the bombays, left hand side heading south

@ approx 10.00am, will wait till about 10.20ish, pls ring if your

not comin, 021 21 35978. Weather is lookin good at this stage.

cheers firefight

:cool:

bikerboy
28th October 2003, 21:22
It's official, I can't go so won't hold you guys up.

Got a reminder call from the dentist, appointment at 11-30. Better go as postponed twice.

CK, the 996S is waiting for Italy to produce another Ducati logo so the paint work can be finished. Had the scratches from Nhuan's mis adventure touched up......four weeks ago.:(

Coldkiwi
29th October 2003, 11:37
so what about the paint? if the fairings are all off all the better.. its becomes  an over grown Monster with an extra 96cc of grunt :)

Sycophant
29th October 2003, 12:16
Well I made it about 50Ks out of Bombay before I managed to take it a little fast into a slightly dodgy corner, hit the gravel and lay my bike down at speed.

I'm pretty much okay, a few cuts and grazes, and my bike is in reasonably okay shape, as long as you don't look at the right side of it. After fiddling with it to get it going, Firefight rode with me back to Mercer, and after a coffee and a snack he headed back on his way and I headed home to lick my wounds (figuratively).

Firefight can probably detail which corner it was that bit me, but according to a woman who lives near there I was not the first rider to slide out there in recent times.

I'll post some pictures in the general forum in a little while.

MikeL
29th October 2003, 12:39
Sorry to hear about your little upset, but at least you're in one piece and your bike is still rideable. You were lucky to have Dave along to help you - he's a good man in an emergency situation, being a professional rescuer!

Firefight
29th October 2003, 19:39
Well I made it about 50Ks out of Bombay before I managed to take it a little fast into a slightly dodgy corner, hit the gravel and lay my bike down at speed.

I'm pretty much okay, a few cuts and grazes, and my bike is in reasonably okay shape, as long as you don't look at the right side of it. After fiddling with it to get it going, Firefight rode with me back to Mercer, and after a coffee and a snack he headed back on his way and I headed home to lick my wounds (figuratively).

Firefight can probably detail which corner it was,

Okay easy done, :eek: on H/way 22 from glen murry keep going
past the transmitter tower by Whaikaretu turn off, past James Follies "Thunder Valley off road bike park, approx 1.0 kms ish sharp right hand turn marked 35 kms.that's where it all went down, as Sycophant said lady who lives near buy said another bike went over just recently :eek: I remember leaning over a fair bit,as I went round, looked back when I got to the bottom of the hill, and did not see Sycophant, originally thought he had stopped to put on wet weather gear, got a bit of a shock when I turned around and went back, glad your okay mate, don;t let this minor set back put you off, hope to see you on Saturday..

firefight:cool: :cool:

Andrew
29th October 2003, 19:57
Dude that sux. Are you able to get the insurance to pay for damages?

Firefight
29th October 2003, 20:05
Anyway, after I left Sycophant safely at Mercer, decided to go on alone, changed my mind about Raglan, did not want to back track for third time.

Straight down SH 1, along exspress way ( 1 cop with hand held)
and off down my fav bit of road SH1 to Tahuna and on to Morinsville, in to Hamilton, stop in a see my old mate Greg Boyd
talk some shit kicks & some tyres, back via morrinsville Tahuna and SHW 1, no more cops till that famous cop soaked area SH1 near Pokeno, saw 3 within 3 kms, :argh:

so up the hill, and off @ the Bombays & home, weather was great

except for a bit of rain at Glen Murry in the morn,

God I love shift work :D :D :D :D

firefight.:cool:

Sycophant
29th October 2003, 22:57
For what it's worth, when you add up my riding home, and then later riding to work1 and work2 this afternoon, I've done at least 100Km since my get off.

I am certainly not put off - but I may get a bit of country road practice on roads I know well before I take on another mysterious backroad trek again.

Of course, I am just dissapointed that Dave didn't get to see me bail - I thought it was esspecially majestic. In my mind, I rode the bike like a surfboard for at least 100 metres and then brushed the dust off.

Thanks for the good ride anyway man - it was fun up to that point and possibly even during the crash.