PDA

View Full Version : Flip-up chin-piece helmets?

awa355
21st September 2009, 20:04
Has anyone heard of the helmets with the flip up chin breaking off in a crash?. A discussion we had the other day had one rider saying he has heard of a FFM with this function ripping off as a result of the plastic hinge brackets braking. It was only a slow speed off with no real damage done.

I believe the FFM is a entry level cost helmet while the BMW and Nolan lift up chin helmets have better hinge fittings.

I was looking at getting one of these styled helmets but not so sure now. Any advice based on experiences with the lift up helmets?? Cheers

p.dath
21st September 2009, 20:21
Just make sure the helmet is locked down and you should be fine. The SHARP testing program makes a note of weather the helmet lid stayed locked or not, so you might want to check that out.

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

YellowDog
21st September 2009, 20:28
If you are racing on a track then no question, get the toughest full face helmet you can afford.

However for touring and general use, the flip up helmets are excellent. They pass all the crash tests with flying colours and I wouldn't let it concern you.

I have used the Nolan N102 for about 2 years and I will be switching to the Shark Evoline as soon as the price comes down a bit.

I have a full face HJC, which is now a spare.

Hitcher
21st September 2009, 20:43
Flip fronts don't come in sizes larger than XXL (rated) which, for most manufacturers, is a size smaller than the rated size in a normal full face.

Warr
21st September 2009, 22:36
140k + high-side unconscious before I hit the road. Helmet preformed as it should. Nolan N102
Stayed locked till the ambos decided what to do next.

flyingcrocodile46
22nd September 2009, 00:18
Just make sure the helmet is locked down and you should be fine. The SHARP testing program makes a note of weather the helmet lid stayed locked or not, so you might want to check that out.

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

Yeah! good site. I checked it out and got a Caberg Rhino (Trip) after seeing Sharks Evoline opened on 30% of impacts and HJC's FS MAX & IS MAX opened on 53% and 60% of impacts :shit:

I was much happier with the Caberg at 10% and a 5 star rating.. internal sun visor, nice style and real light weight too. Fogging is a bit of an issue though.

awa355
22nd September 2009, 09:01
If you are racing on a track then no question, get the toughest full face helmet you can afford.

However for touring and general use, the flip up helmets are excellent. They pass all the crash tests with flying colours and I wouldn't let it concern you.

I have used the Nolan N102 for about 2 years and I will be switching to the Shark Evoline as soon as the price comes down a bit.

I have a full face HJC, which is now a spare.
Thanks for the feedback. I will look at the various models. Are the prices very similar?

flyingcrocodile46
22nd September 2009, 09:13
The Nolan is a good safe helmet. The Evoline is a very nice looking and functional helmet........... that will unlock on 3 out of 10 impacts.:Oops:

I have difficulty understanding how a helmet with a failure rate that high is allowed on the market.

Bend-it
22nd September 2009, 11:08
Yikes, the KBC is pretty crap at 1 star!

And if you look here, you sure don't necessarily get what you pay for when it comes to helmet safety...
http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/search/results/?sort=price&dir=desc&manufacturer=0&type=0&rating=0&size=0&price=0

Bend-it
22nd September 2009, 11:12
and this: http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/search/results/?sort=price&dir=asc&manufacturer=0&type=0&rating=5&size=0&price=0

gives you the cheapest 5-star helmets... :)

flyingcrocodile46
22nd September 2009, 11:19
and this: http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/search/results/?sort=price&dir=asc&manufacturer=0&type=0&rating=5&size=0&price=0

gives you the cheapest 5-star helmets... :)

Yup! The Caberg Trip (Rhino) is the second cheapest but has a 5 star rating and stays closed on 90 % of impacts. Nice light weight, stylish and comfy. Road noise is average but ok, but fogging is a bit of an issue due to poorly directed/volume of air ventilation.

paddy
22nd September 2009, 11:30
Yup! The Caberg Trip (Rhino) is the second cheapest but has a 5 star rating and stays closed on 90 % of impacts. Nice light weight, stylish and comfy. Road noise is average but ok, but fogging is a bit of an issue due to poorly directed/volume of air ventilation.

Where'd you manage to find a Trip in NZ? (Or did you import it?)

flyingcrocodile46
22nd September 2009, 11:38
I was going to import a couple then saw someone selling Cabergs on Tardme
Chap named Alex is importing them 027 2728269

george formby
22nd September 2009, 12:03
Yeah! good site. I checked it out and got a Caberg Rhino (Trip) after seeing Sharks Evoline opened on 30% of impacts and HJC's FS MAX & IS MAX opened on 53% and 60% of impacts :shit:

I was much happier with the Caberg at 10% and a 5 star rating.. internal sun visor, nice style and real light weight too. Fogging is a bit of an issue though.

I have a Caberg, a little noisy & the internal sun visor fogs up too. Don't use anti fog on it. The screen turns white:argh: Overall though, a very useful & comfortable helmet. They have sold truck loads in the UK & I have heard of no problems.

NordieBoy
22nd September 2009, 15:45
Yikes, the KBC is pretty crap at 1 star!

I want to know how it fared on the other tests.
Staying closed 43% of the time can't be the only reason it got 1 star.

TerminalAddict
22nd September 2009, 15:58
140k + high-side unconscious before I hit the road. Helmet preformed as it should. Nolan N102
Stayed locked till the ambos decided what to do next.

I was going to comment on your helmet too :)

flyingcrocodile46
22nd September 2009, 16:06
I want to know how it fared on the other tests.
Staying closed 43% of the time can't be the only reason it got 1 star.

Have a look at the link to the explanation of how they do the tests and scoring and have a read.

They do separate tests for the chin lock rating and the % rating for (staying locked in impacts) has no reflection on the score for the star rating.

Theoretically a 5 star rated helmet could have a 90+% failure in the Chin lock test.

The chin lock test is only performed on flip face (or system) helmets

I believe they claim to do their impact tests at faster impact speeds than are used elsewhere. From memory the usual impact test speeds are very very low. (little comfort) But I suppose that after a point (speedwise) the actual impact damage to the helmet becomes a moot point. It doesn't matter how well cushioned your helmet is, if your head goes from 100 (guessing here) kph to zero in a 2 or 3 inch space. Your brain will likely be mush, irrespective of how well the helmet fares.

NordieBoy
22nd September 2009, 16:31
Interesting...

"The test protocols do not include an impact on the chin guard of full faced helmets"

I can't find the info about chin-lock rating?

NZsarge
22nd September 2009, 16:36
Seen a chap have a head on riding his Bandit though Peakakariki and the flip front he was wearing (pretty sure it was a HJC) lost it's flip front but only after it had taken a pretty heavy hit and he was lucky to a certain extent that he came to a pretty immediate stop as if he had carried on down the road he might have lost his face too! Bottom line is though he is (after some recovery) is (generally speaking) alive and well to tell the story (to the best of my knowledge as he was a mate of a mate so...) I love the idea but don't really like the compromise.
Next time you're in a bike shop grab one and with the flip front fully closed grab it by the chin bar and the back of the helmet opening and move it in and out and watch and listen to it flex and tell me it does'nt give you the shits!!!

flyingcrocodile46
22nd September 2009, 16:45
I can't find the info about chin-lock rating?

When looking at the list of helmets, click on the name (model) of the helmet you want to check and it will link you to the relevant page displaying the chin lock test results

flyingcrocodile46
22nd September 2009, 16:49
Next time you're in a bike shop grab one and with the flip front fully closed grab it by the chin bar and the back of the helmet opening and move it in and out and watch and listen to it flex and tell me it does'nt give you the shits!!!

:yes: I choose to pretend that it will be all right.:whistle:

NordieBoy
22nd September 2009, 18:00
When looking at the list of helmets, click on the name (model) of the helmet you want to check and it will link you to the relevant page displaying the chin lock test results

Saw that but can't find where it says about not having an effect on the star rating.

Hmmm...
Wonder if they have any stats on how many full-face chinbars broke on the frontal impact?

It'll be interesting to see the ratings for open-face helmets when they finally get around to testing them.

flyingcrocodile46
22nd September 2009, 18:19
Saw that but can't find where it says about not having an effect on the star rating.

Just had a look. The site layout and content has changed since I read it (about 7 or 8 months ago). It used to have more detail about the separation of the ratings.?

I see the speed of test impacts is 30kph (up from the normal 21.6 kph) :blink: