PDA

View Full Version : A Newbies Trackday.

GSVR
11th April 2005, 09:50
Got up on Saturday and went online to finalize route to Taupo. Was optimistic the weather wouldn't be to wet but just out of town steady rain began to fall.

After meeting up with Stonechucker and VTWIN (who where coming from Wellington) at Sanson we rode though to the Avoca? pub at Wanganui to have lunch. There we were joined by FunkyFly from New Pymouth and began the trip up over the Paraparas. Wet as all the way. Then National Park to Turangi and on to Taupo. Rain had almost stopped so was hopeful the the next day would be dry. Spent the evening drying out gear and soaking in hot pool.

Trackday first stop McDonalds for breakfast then gassed up at the BP and headed for the track. Everyone must have got there pretty early as the pits where full of bikes.

Taped up mirrors,indicators,and gauges and got into the scrutineering que.
Everything ok except my draggin jeans weren't enough protection. No worries Frostys right hand man (sorry in the excitment of the day forgot his name) had some leather trousers the fitted perfect. Thanks again for lending them to me for the day. Got the all clear and sticker. Was in the slow group but by the end of the day the pace had increased significantly.

Riders briefing was good and not some long winded affair. Alot of talk about accidental front wheel lifting. At the end Frosty asked if there where anymore questions. Some guy asked why men have nipples. Anyone got the answer?

Next was the 4 laps familiarization. Really good as this was the first time on a racetrack for me and it removed any worries about what it would be like.

Now we where into it with the slow group up first. That first session was a blast but looking back most of the group where just putting around getting to know the track. Everyone was really well behaved and I came back into the pits feeling really happy and wanting to get back out asap.

Watched the two faster groups and picked up a few ideas on the best way round.
Guys in the fast group had their knee scrapers down on the track already.

Second session I was picking the pace up and had parts of the track like the esses that felt really fun and easy but the sweeper onto the back straight I wasn't doing to well on and I also felt so slow going around the hairpin.

Spoke with Motoracer in the pits and he came out in the next session to see what I was doing wrong. He showed me the correct line around the sweeper. Was getting better at it now but still felt slow coming onto back straight.

The Acceleration and Stopping I didn't do. There was some good wheelies as you can see from the Pics. Did anyone get any of Motoracers stoppies? One guy lost the front end going for a stoppie on cold tires and ground up his engine on the track.

After the first afternoon session I found out we where now allowed to pass anywhere except the hairpin. (wondered way I was getting passed when I was slowing up behind someone waiting for the back straight to pass?)

Last sessions where great with everyone spread out around track as opposed to one big group of traffic. Could feel my boots on track on almost every corner but still felt I could go alot faster but didn't want to risk bin as I had to ride home.

Stonechucker past me on his R1 coming onto the back straight and I tried to keep with him but was left way behind after a few laps.

Came back into the pits and ZXR250 was getting ready to head back to Wellington. I asked him to wait a few mins so I could head back with him. There was another guy as well but I didn't get his name. Good ride back home. 5 (five) Cops on the Desert road and 3 of them where writing out tickets to cages.
Caught up to Whitetrashs bike heading back to Wellington (on trailor) and stopped at Waioru for gas and for ZXR to put on more layers. And then I took the Feilding turnoff and let the other go on.

Stayed up and watched MotoGP. What a race that was.

Cheers to Frosty and crew for putting on a great day. When can I sign up for the next one? Definately don't to to risk missing out.

bear
11th April 2005, 14:59
Good write up there fella, motivates me to do a track day next time.

Sensei
11th April 2005, 18:15
How was that pipe sounding Garry ?? :2thumbsup
SENSEI

StoneChucker
11th April 2005, 19:17
Oh, you were trying to catch me? I hadn't noticed ;) hehehehe

All in all, I must say an amazing time. It's without a doubt, the most fun I've had on my bike. The track is the place to go fast, not the road. Even though some 250's were faster than me in the corners, by the end of the day I was holding my own with them, and, taking into account my speed on the back straight, I'm glad to say I didn't hold anyone up on my last session :) (Second session was another story, eh Draco ;);) hehe)

My only gripe was that noone told me that you could pass anywhere after lunch, I was piddling around waiting for tha back straight heaps of times! Even so, I got alot of passing practice in.

It's so much fun when you feel the tires have warmed up and start to stick, as well as when you get a line semi-right. I definitely have the track day bug, and when I have some spare cash, the racing bug. Wouldn't mind a van and 125 race bike :banana:

Zed
11th April 2005, 19:18
Cheers to Frosty and crew for putting on a great day. When can I sign up for the next one? Definately don't to to risk missing out.Thanks for the write-up. :niceone:

Good on ya for getting out there and doing it...has it helped your road riding much?

Mr Skid
11th April 2005, 19:27
My only gripe was that noone told me that you could pass anywhere after lunch, I was piddling around waiting for tha back straight heaps of times! Even so, I got alot of passing practice in.

You needed to practice passing on a R1?
I would have thought it a relatively simple affair.. :unsure:

Two Smoker
11th April 2005, 19:36
Good stuff Garry :niceone: Sorry i didnt catch up with you (and alot of people) but glad you guys were having a blast!!!

GSVR
11th April 2005, 20:24
SENSEI

The closer I get to the redline the better it seems to sound. Ringed it out down the back straight enough times to go home happy :niceone:

Oh, you were trying to catch me? I hadn't noticed ;) hehehehe

A few people were going round at a similar speed to me at various times. It was great following them to check out their lines or sticking with someone that past you. I must of held some people up on smaller bikes around the bends at times and then they wouldn't have the speed to overtake on the back straight so passing anywhere made good sense.

I didn't have a hope in hell of keeping up with you in that last session.

FROSTY
11th April 2005, 20:50
My only gripe was that noone told me that you could pass anywhere after lunch, I was piddling around waiting for tha back straight heaps of times! Even so, I got alot of passing practice in.:
Shit I'm sooo sorry dude--Ill put it on my list of things to tidy up. I walked through the pits explaining the change in rules I thought I'd told everyone-soo sorry.
I diddn't want to tell everyone at riders breif because it was a suck it and see situation. If everyone was riding badly or the weather hada turned pear shaped then ida kept the rules as they were.

GSVR
11th April 2005, 20:51
Good on ya for getting out there and doing it...has it helped your road riding much?

It has for sure but I'm generally pretty cautious on the road (most of the time) as surface conditions are so variable.

What I really would like is a Trackday every weekend :msn-wink:

StoneChucker
11th April 2005, 20:55
It has for sure but I'm generally pretty cautious on the road (most of the time) as surface conditions are so variable.

What I really would like is a Trackday every weekend :msn-wink:
Please don't, my annual leave account, bank account and luck account wouldn't be sustainable :msn-wink:

BNZ
11th April 2005, 21:24

Well my bike aint exactly quiet, and I had ear plugs in on the ride home but I almost wet myself everytime Gary pulled out to overtake! :Punk: I WANT A TWIN :love:

mikey
13th April 2005, 11:14
Even though some 250's were faster than me in the corners, by the end of the day I was holding my own with them, and, taking into account my speed on the back straight,

yeh ya bastard, always passing me on the straight then holding me up through the corners,

you should be in the FAST GROUP on a fucking brand new R1!!!!!!!!!!!!

GSVR
13th April 2005, 13:14
yeh ya bastard, always passing me on the straight then holding me up through the corners,

I'd look at another way and say if you where so fast around the corners what the hell where you doing in the learners group. Next time I plan on going into the touring group as I now have had the experience of one Trackday and don't want to spend the first half of the day with passing restrictions again.

Its doesn't matter what group your in there will always be guys faster or slower than you (unless your Valentino of course) then everyone will be slower.

mikey
13th April 2005, 13:35
valentino eats my 4 stroke smoke

EDIT only when he is lapping me!

Two Smoker
13th April 2005, 18:34
Its doesn't matter what group your in there will always be guys faster or slower than you (unless your Valentino of course) then everyone will be slower.
Where was he when WT's bike spat the dummy??? I had noone to play with...

StoneChucker
13th April 2005, 20:14

You fucktard... Don't you think that if I was holding you up in the corners, maybe I shouldn't be in the fast group? I won't put myself into an uncomfortable situation just to please you. And, I wouldn't be allowed in the fast group anyway... AND... I don't appreciate bad rep on stupid fucken gripes :angry2:

*EDIT* Another thing, could you think of ANY possible reason why I may not want to go hard in the corners, whereas you maybe have no reservations about doing so??? (bike)

FROSTY
13th April 2005, 21:27
hook line and sinker--He got you SC . Hes just trolling ya dude.
I respect your decision mate and Mikey -next time therll be 4 groups so you wont be held up by other riders hopefully.

MadDuck
13th April 2005, 21:50
I turned up at the track still thinking what the freck have I done.

The first potter out on the track for the newbies was kinda cool cos I stayed back in the pack but once I powered the SV down the straight I realised what power the bike has. The first run out was apprehensive but it was good to know exactly where to expect over taking - no surprises. The taping of mirrors made me completely focus on my riding and not what was coming behind. Well I thought I had my leg down but no scrapes on the gear - oh well!

I had to have a damn laugh when Draco said they were all following me and when I hit the straight they couldnt quite get passed me. Sorry guys :msn-wink:

The third run for the day and when I went round the hairpin I looked back and saw all the bikes following me at snails pass due to non passing rule. I need practice at the bendy bits. I was pretty quick through the S's but then must have frustrated the hell out of everyone as I took off down the straight. I did power off to let most of you through...cos I am polite

Am I still buzzing ...yes I am. Bring on the next one

StoneChucker
14th April 2005, 08:47
I had to have a damn laugh when Draco said they were all following me and when I hit the straight they couldnt quite get passed me. Sorry guys :msn-wink:
I did power off to let most of you through...cos I am polite
Hehe, you shouldn't power off in future...
Btw, what does my bike look like from behind? :shake: [pt]
You go girl! Those SV's are hard to catch when ridden well :banana:

ajturbo
14th April 2005, 10:39
Everything ok except my draggin jeans weren't enough protection. No worries Frostys right hand man (sorry in the excitment of the day forgot his name) had some leather trousers the fitted perfect. Thanks again for lending them to me for the day. Got the all clear and sticker. Was in the slow group but by the end of the day the pace had increased significantly.

good to see ya out there.... not often men ask me if they can get into my pants.......:love: :killingme :lol:
glad that they fitted...and when they were returned.... they were still clean!!!! which says to me that you could have go faster:lol: :banana: :shake: ..
hope to see you at the next one ... with your OWN leathers please:lol:
or do you want to book them in now????:shifty:

GSVR
14th April 2005, 17:13
Thanks again AJTurbo

Next time I will have all the gear. :niceone:

That day just went by so fast. Upon reflection I wish I had rode harder its a long wait till the next one.

mikey
15th April 2005, 13:20
hook line and sinker--He got you SC . Hes just trolling ya dude.
I respect your decision mate and Mikey -next time therll be 4 groups so you wont be held up by other riders hopefully.

cool, ill get top hold up people who are faster than me!

flyin
15th April 2005, 16:10
hope that pic was taken before you got on the track mikey...........

Mr Skid
15th April 2005, 17:53
hope that pic was taken before you got on the track mikey...........Same here. I'd be disgusted if you hadn't got your right knee down in the esses.

mikey
15th April 2005, 18:07
Same here. I'd be disgusted if you hadn't got your right knee down in the esses.

i couldn move an inch in those things so would of been riding standing up. no chance getting kneedown standing up.

Racey Rider
15th April 2005, 18:55
Now Mikey!!

Tho I let you borrow my leathers for free, (sorry they didn't fit),
Useing them in your Avatar and your sig' will cost ya. :msn-wink:

Please remove them.
I don't want people thinking I'm Mikey at the next race day I attend! :niceone:

flyin
16th April 2005, 08:15
now RR has admitted to owning the leathers with "virgin" sliders........ oh the humanity..... not what one wants to see after track day........

not that i can talk..... never had sliders to caress the tarmac with, I dont particularly feel like leaving my cordura knee pockets behind so havn't even had a knee down........ one day...... just you wait...... the showers of titanim sparks will have you all watchin in awe............

Racey Rider
16th April 2005, 08:42
No No!

They're not sliders.

They're miniature bill boards.

Always doing my bit to promote the site!! :cool: