PDA

View Full Version : Speed cameras save lives

The Stranger
22nd September 2009, 12:22
Well it's official (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10596941).

"Speed cameras, long dismissed as nothing more than revenue-gathering devices, cut crashes according to new figures.

The number of smashes around the 10 busiest camera sites in the country dropped by half after they were installed."

How did this one slip through the KB net? Or am I blind?

rainman
22nd September 2009, 12:32
Well, it makes sense: speed kills, so deterring speed could deter people from killing themselves.

Morcs
22nd September 2009, 12:33
does that include people getting rear ended as they slammed the anchors on as they saw the camera?

vifferman
22nd September 2009, 12:44
"The country's most lucrative speed camera, on East Coast Rd on Auckland's North Shore, last year caught more than 10,000 speeding drivers.Injury crashes at the site dropped from 11 in the five years before the camera was installed in 1996, to seven in the following five years."

FFS! Just over 2 per year, to just over 1 per year?!? That's hardly statisitically valid, and once again proves what bullshit it is to try to use simplistic causality to justify something that i going to vary by at least (if not more) as much, without any causal agent.

Why don't they just own up, and say, "The camera made more than $250,000 [a 'low-ball' guesstimate on my part], proving to be a good return on investment".

I'd like to see the crash statistics from all the other speed camera "accident black spots" (you know - the ones installed at the base of hills, or other places where people are likely to get caught, but the road's perfectly safe).

CookMySock
22nd September 2009, 14:29
"The country's most lucrative speed camera, on East Coast Rd on Auckland's North Shore, last year caught more than 10,000 speeding drivers.Injury crashes at the site dropped from 11 in the five years before the camera was installed in 1996, to seven in the following five years."

FFS! Just over 2 per year, to just over 1 per year?!?Farrrken arrrse, they saved some money there didn't they? Really, you think about it.. 10,000 fines a year at $100 a shot.. if you saved that up over two years with interest, thats a cool 2 mil saved, plus the interest.. I save hard, but Iwish I could save that much. :pinch:

Steve

Hiflyer
22nd September 2009, 14:31
Farrrken arrrse, they saved some money there didn't they? Really, you think about it.. 10,000 fines a year at $100 a shot.. if you saved that up over two years with interest, thats a cool 2 mil saved, plus the interest.. I save hard, but Iwish I could save that much. :pinch:

Steve

Thats bloody 27 people a day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want my own speedcamera!!

CookMySock
22nd September 2009, 14:35
Thats bloody 27 people a day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Uh, that doesnt sound very many does it. I imagined these things blinked their nuts off all day, but it looks like they do more thumb-twiddling than anything. Typical of any police department innit. ;)

Steve

Hiflyer
22nd September 2009, 14:37
Uh, that doesnt sound very many does it. I imagined these things blinked their nuts off all day, but it looks like they do more thumb-twiddling than anything. Typical of any police department innit. ;)

Steve

I was going to say that it was heaps. Thats from one speedcamera.

YellowDog
22nd September 2009, 14:42
If they were to take this seriously, they would put a speed camera just before every accident black spot. The problem with this is that they wouldn't make a lot of money as most people do slow down anyway.

I can see that in some cases speed cameras do serve some real purpose and contribute towards road safety.

But other times they are just a sneaky way of taking your cash.

vifferman
22nd September 2009, 14:56
Thats bloody 27 people a day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want my own speedcamera!!

Uh, that doesnt sound very many does it. I imagined these things blinked their nuts off all day, but it looks like they do more thumb-twiddling than anything. Typical of any police department innit.
It's a pretty busy road (a couple of kilometres from where I'm sitting now), that gets VERY busy at each end of the day. Thing is, the regular users / locals know about the camera (it's fixt, innit?) so that's 27 noobs a day.

ManDownUnder
22nd September 2009, 15:07
It's bloody stupid.

Nature has proven what an effective deterrent is... and has done so for millions of years. Perception. If people THINK there's a danger (in this case the "danger" of getting a fine).. then they adjust their behaviour accordingly. Butterflys have big "eyes" on their wings to scare birds off, all manner of mimcry exists to be seen, and scare the crap out of things in order to maintain an effective change in behaviour.

The current "leap out of nowhere and take your photo" approach is much more akin to hunting something. It doesn't change the behaviour of an animal, it simply changes it from "free" to "dinner". Think of any lurking predator as an example. The other bugs or fish life nearby don't swim around thinking fuuuuccckkkkk... might be something here that's gonna eat me....". They have their eyes on their own prize (a destination or food or whatever)... go for it and accept the risks along the way. Some lose, most get away with it...

Sound even remotely familiar?

Speed cameras, especially hidden ones, are hunting. Over time people will learn to minimise their risk exposure but only coz we're clever... (Tui?), but they don't change behaviour. If anything people simply learn to speed where "it's ok".

If they want to slow people down they need to put visible "threats" out there. I don't care what the stats say, basic instinctive reactions to threats are such that anything "hidden" is not going to work. Cardboard cutouts or cop cars would work better then speed cameras.

End of story

We can argue about it till the cows come home - but the opposite has been proven in nature, time and again over the millenia

Hiflyer
22nd September 2009, 15:11
It's a pretty busy road (a couple of kilometres from where I'm sitting now), that gets VERY busy at each end of the day. Thing is, the regular users / locals know about the camera (it's fixt, innit?) so that's 27 noobs a day.

Haha noobs. Yea I used to live just off Greville road. It used to flash quite often at night on a Friday cos thats a prime spot for idiots. not much traffic, long wide and prettymuch straight.

The Stranger
22nd September 2009, 16:48
If they were to take this seriously, they would put a speed camera just before every accident black spot.

The article that was published in the paper harold sets out a table which is missing from the online virgin.
The table lists the "black spots" you refer to at which they have erected a camera, one of them had 3 (another 6) injury accidents in the 5yrs preceeding camera installation. It appears they are already scraping the bottom of the barrel for black spots.

swbarnett
23rd September 2009, 12:26
... not much traffic, long wide and prettymuch straight.
In other words, perfectly safe at well above the speed limit!

Hiflyer
23rd September 2009, 12:28
In other words, perfectly safe at well above the speed limit!

Except for side roads and wayward Christians coming out of city impact church and wandering onto the road

R6_kid
23rd September 2009, 12:47
I nearly wrote off my friends car on East Coast Road in front of that speed camara. Apparently doing handbrake slides along a main road at 65kmh in the wet isn't a smart thing to do... although the camera didn't go off.

That really put the shits up me. Young dumb and full of cum, that pretty much sums it up!

Hiflyer
23rd September 2009, 12:57
prime spot for idiots. not much traffic, long wide and prettymuch straight.

I nearly wrote off my friends car on East Coast Road in front of that speed camara. Apparently doing handbrake slides along a main road at 65kmh in the wet isn't a smart thing to do...

:done:

My point exactly haha

Edit: No offence intended

ManDownUnder
23rd September 2009, 14:03
Young dumb and full of cum

... you do realise that actually applies to women more than guys?

Swoop
23rd September 2009, 14:56
The other thing is... has anyone noticed the new Toyota Previa mobile speed camera van that now sits on the eastern side of the road, just after the traffic lights???

I was wondering why Mr Bel's finest, was screaming it's head off!:shifty:

Irontusk
14th October 2009, 22:01
The other thing is... has anyone noticed the new Toyota Previa mobile speed camera van that now sits on the eastern side of the road, just after the traffic lights???

I was wondering why Mr Bel's finest, was screaming it's head off!:shifty:

North or south of the lights? About a month ago I got flashed by a big white van on the western side a little south of the lights, but I was going towards it, so no loss.

I've been driving past that fixed camera every day for a few years now, I think I've seen it flash once (someone going the other way, everyone on my side of the road must've been locals locked on 50k).

Swoop
15th October 2009, 07:06
North or south of the lights? About a month ago I got flashed by a big white van on the western side a little south of the lights, but I was going towards it, so no loss.

I've been driving past that fixed camera every day for a few years now, I think I've seen it flash once (someone going the other way, everyone on my side of the road must've been locals locked on 50k).
South of the lights. Opposite side of the road from the fixed camera.

Fatjim
15th October 2009, 07:37
The sooner you realise that speed cameras aren't a result of money hungry tax collectors and are in fact the result of an unimaginative bureaucrat responding to political pressure to lower the road toll, the sooner you can get on with your lives in comfortable cynicism.

Patrick
15th October 2009, 20:19
The sooner you realise that speed cameras aren't a result of money hungry tax collectors and are in fact the result of an unimaginative bureaucrat responding to political pressure to lower the road toll, the sooner you can get on with your lives in comfortable cynicism.

That, or some open their eyes and see the fat arsed van sitting there, all tinted up..... "I wonder what that could be...?"

Or;

slow down...?

That saves me money on tickets and detectors.... who'd have thought......

R6_kid
15th October 2009, 20:42
:done:

My point exactly haha

Edit: No offence intended

Meh, I learnt my lesson when it cost $1100 to fix my mates car, which he was given for free. That was going to be money towards a new bike!