PDA

View Full Version : Yet another goodbye

jrandom
11th April 2005, 15:23
Well, might as well make it two at once. I'm outta here (vifferman's similar post this morning was an unrelated coincidence).

I have a bunch of stuff going on in my personal life, and my participation on KiwiBiker is something that I'm having to de-prioritise. I'm not taking offense at anyone, or flouncing off in a huff, or anything. I'm just realising that I need to focus on what's important - my wife, my kids, all the parts of my life that are not just a selfish hobby, which, like it or not, is what motorcycling really is for me.

And so I'm going to log off for good, because hanging out on this forum will not be constructive in my efforts to achieve the above.

Now, normally, I rather dislike the "I'm going! Pay attention and tell me how much you're going to miss me!" nonsense that crops up when people stop participating in online forums. In fact, thoughts along those lines were what prompted my recent April Fools joke (this post is completely straight-up and unrelated to that prank, by the way).

However, forums like KiwiBiker are important social networks for many people, and the connections and interactions that happen here and as flow-ons in meatspace are quite real and worthy of careful consideration. I think that it's better for me to explain what I'm up to, rather than disappearing off the radar and leaving people to wonder what happened and whether I got offended and started hating them, or whatever. It's also good to make it clear that this is a considered decision, rather than the result of a passing strange mood.

Y'all have fun out there, now, and try not to fall off too much.

Over and out.

Dan

Racey Rider
11th April 2005, 15:31
Dan

What! I've only just learnt your names Dan! You can't leave now!! :msn-wink:

But good on ya. At least you've given a good reason.
Will miss your comments.
Good luck.
Hope to see you back when your ready

Racey. :cool:

PS. Can I have your rep points? :whistle:

Wolf
11th April 2005, 15:32
Another great loss.

Thanks, Dan, for letting us know and for all the support, advice, humour etc. You too will be sorely missed.

Damn. Two great kb'ers gone.

Can understand your need to focus on other matters - especially family.

Keep it rubber side down.

Motu
11th April 2005, 15:33
Well done,you achieved your life's ambition and beat Wikd's post count,go in peace my son....

Now,in a few days when all this boils over,you might all just be all shocked with a totaly original post I am devising...

Joni
11th April 2005, 15:34
See ya Dan...
:spudwave:

Motoracer
11th April 2005, 15:35
You need a break I guess, to sort out what is *really* important to you. Once you've done that, we'll be here to welcome you back.

See you later, for now.

P.S. I've always enjoyed your witty remarks on the forums very much. We'll miss ya, ya intelligent prick!

DEATH_INC.
11th April 2005, 15:41
Why is it all the good one's leave?
Good luck dan.

bear
11th April 2005, 15:52
Is there a changing of the guard that I don't know about? Does Kiwibiker have a rotation policy or something? Is it just the trendy thing to do?
This whole 'going to take a break thing' seems common place this week.

vifferman
11th April 2005, 15:52
I'm not taking offense at anyone, or flouncing off in a huff, or anything.
I am! flounce, flounce, flounce..... :lol:

I'm just realising that I need to focus on what's important - my wife, my kids, all the parts of my life that are not just a selfish hobby, which, like it or not, is what motorcycling really is for me.
I think it is for most people, Dan.
As you know, my wife is quite supportive of it, because I admitted it was selfish, and took pains to make sure she knew that even though I'm obsessive about it, motorcycling ultimately comes second to her and the boys. :yes:

And so I'm going to log off for good, because hanging out on this forum will not be constructive in my efforts to achieve the above.
I don't think I have the strength of character, moral fibre and backbone to leave for good. Good for you. :niceone:

Now, normally, I rather dislike the "I'm going! Pay attention and tell me how much you're going to miss me!" nonsense that crops up when people stop participating in online forums.
Not me! I'm so insecure, that I need the wee ego boost. :confused:

I think that it's better for me to explain what I'm up to, rather than disappearing off the radar and leaving people to wonder what happened and whether I got offended and started hating them, or whatever. It's also good to make it clear that this is a considered decision, rather than the result of a passing strange mood.
My first thought was to just bugger off. I didn't think anyone would notice.
I'm not altogether sure that it wasn't just a passing mood. Or a whim. Or a whimsical fanciful whim. Or fancy...

I suppose it's too late now....
If I change my mind, I'll be mocked, scorned, and showered with negative rep points. :killingme

Y'all have fun out there, now, and try not to fall off too much.

Over and out.

Dan
You too.
See you, Dude. :spudwave:

And sorry for crashing your party.:confused:

Racey Rider
11th April 2005, 15:53
You need a break I guess, to sort out what is *really* important to you. Once you've done that, we'll be here to welcome you back.

But if he come back,, I still get to keep his rep points Ah?!! :yeah:

(Just clarifying!):confused:

inlinefour
11th April 2005, 15:54
Pop in if you can, take care and good on ya for knowing your priorities :niceone:

erik
11th April 2005, 16:11
Keep an eye on the rides forum etc now and then if you ever feel like going for a ride with other people. Just because you've got other stuff that takes priority over spending heaps of time reading and posting on kb, doesn't mean you can't still use the brilliant organisational ability of online forums to find or organise a group ride to go on.
Or whatever. TBH, I don't quite see the point in going cold turkey and completely giving up kb. Moderation* is the key.

*self moderation of how much you use kb, not moderation as in having people editing and controlling what can and can't be posted... ;)

BNZ
11th April 2005, 16:22
Why is it all the good one's leave?
Good luck dan.

Dont worry, im not going anywhere :Punk:

Good luck Dan, all the best

Riff Raff
11th April 2005, 16:29
Hey Dan
I hope you get your personal life back on track. Good luck with everything and we will miss you.

MSTRS
11th April 2005, 16:54
Oh dear, I was starting to wonder about my deodorant. Someone said it's about moderation, but we know how hard it is to say "Oh all right, just one little nip". Come back to check on us whenever you like Sir Jrandom, we promise to keep a spot for you.

Antallica
11th April 2005, 17:37
Have a good one mate, still come to the BBQ's and shit though dude!

Ride on brother! :Punk:

Coyote
11th April 2005, 17:48
What I don't get is why say "I'm going to log off for good"? Your likely to come back here, in the near or distant future.

Now I'm not saying that you won't keep to your word, just if you do end up coming back for any reason, your gonna end up with those few pillocks saying "Oh, I thought you weren't coming back to the site, haha, I'm so funny for pointing that out, I'm desperate for attention"

Anyway, bugger off, didn't want you here in the first place :bleh:

See ya Dan

JohnBoy
11th April 2005, 17:58
best of luck with the future mate.

Hitcher
11th April 2005, 18:03
jrandom, it's been fun. Really good fun. I've enjoyed your online contributions greatly. It's always a pleasure to meet somebody who knows that innuendo isn't Italian for suppository. And other really useful stuff. Like spelling. And the proper use of the apostrophe. And the importance of the correctly-applied arse.

Those of us who continue to huddle around Kiwibiker "campfires" will regale each other with tales of your derring do, to the wide-eyed wonderment of the youngsters amongst us who marvel at those times when bikers were truly bikers, and sheep were truly nervous...

You ride a Zeal. You must be alright.

I miss you already. Bastard.

Indiana_Jones
11th April 2005, 19:37
Bye Dan :)

Well we might lose good member's but I'm sure we'll get new ones aswell :niceone:

-Indy

Ghost Lemur
11th April 2005, 19:48
Blah blah blah lots of words

Tell the truth. It was the Karaoke Bar that did it wasn't it. :msn-wink: :Punk:

Seriously though, it was grand finally meeting you.

You'll be back, when you're ready and have the time. Doesn't matter if it's a few months or 10 years. Nothing has to be forever, just look at the number of people here who have come back to riding after 10+ years of devotion to family, work, morgage, etc.

And don't be a stranger if you and the random family are down these parts.

:cool:

riffer
11th April 2005, 19:48
See you in meatspace Dan. I still know where to find you :whistle:

Moderation and balance in all things is the true key to happiness. May you both in abundance.

Love to you and yours from us in Upper Hutt. Hope to talk soon.

Simon

John
11th April 2005, 19:57
Take care Dan, Keep safe and come visit us :)

Motu
11th April 2005, 22:14
Once upon a time, there was a tavern
Where we used to raise a glass or two
Remember how we laughed away the hours,
Think of all the great things we would do

Those were the days, my friend
We thought they'd never end
We'd sing and dance forever and a day
We'd live the life we'd choose
We'd fight and never lose
For we were young and sure to have our way

Paul in NZ
11th April 2005, 22:23
Moderation and balance in all things is the true key to happiness.

Now this is the problem.... Excess and imbalance is definately worth a go....

Never happier than with an excess of bad plonk unbalancing me...

Hey! Have fun Dan and always be yourself dude, you will be back!

Cheers

parsley
11th April 2005, 22:33
And so I'm going to log off for good
Yeah, but I still have to see you at work every day. Why can't you just leave me alone?

scumdog
12th April 2005, 21:27
This site isn't imploding is it? Tell me it isn't people!! :confused:

merv
12th April 2005, 21:39
This site isn't imploding is it? Tell me it isn't people!! :confused:

I'll still be here plodding along in moderation so don't worry man. I'll be away quite a bit in the next few weeks so I won't be posting much, but you don't keep riding for 36 years without staying power.

What is it with these guys? Is it premature ejaculation or something?

Sniper
13th April 2005, 07:54
I notice on thing from all these members that are leaving. They all have bloody good reasons, here they have been on the site for a couple of years and some snot nose little brat comes along and starts slagging them off for no reason I would get very annoyed too and bugger off.

Good on ya guys I say and when you return I hope there will be a very warm welcome waiting for all of you

Sniper

Coldkiwi
13th April 2005, 13:26
good on ya for having the right priorities mate. Easy to get convinced that the internet is important!

Take care mate

aff-man
13th April 2005, 17:15
shit and i just met you and your mighty beast the other day.. :Punk:

Well i hope you get yourself sorted and pop along for a ride now and again :ride: :ride:

or a more social meeting :drinknsin

catcha laters

Storm
15th April 2005, 20:28
Have fun sorting out all the stuff what needs it. All the best and God bless

Posh Tourer :P
16th April 2005, 21:16
I'll say it again. It happens on every forum, but there is a sense of community, and then a bunch of new people come in, the older ones dont get the new community, and they leave and find somewhere else, cos "it just isnt the same". It aint a bad thing, it just happens. The important part is to get a community going in "meatspace", and then you dont need this so much anymore. Thats what this forum is all about anyway isnt it??

I know (or think) that this didnt actually apply to dan, but I'm sure it was partly there, and there for vifferman, and for firefight and a few others.... It happens. People wont come back, cos it destroys all the old memories.....

I notice on thing from all these members that are leaving. They all have bloody good reasons, here they have been on the site for a couple of years and some snot nose little brat comes along and starts slagging them off for no reason I would get very annoyed too and bugger off.

Good on ya guys I say and when you return I hope there will be a very warm welcome waiting for all of you

Sniper