PDA

View Full Version : What's with the twin pipes?

Brainfade
24th September 2009, 16:45
Ive been watching the Supermoto S1 & S2 on Freecaster, Ive noticed MOST of the Tards have dual pipes, I know the Aprillia is a Twin but the rest are all singles, whats the advantage of having 2 pipes?
Cheers Brainfade

scorry
24th September 2009, 16:52
dunno what advantage it is, but i reckon they look awesome and i want some!!

be bloody expensive tho cos i know one pipe is costy enuf

edit: KTM's do have dual exhaust coming out of the head so maybe it would help get the gasses out quicker??

James Deuce
24th September 2009, 17:03
Volumetric efficiency and tuning an engine for maximum torque.

Monstaman
24th September 2009, 17:09
Saw a new CRF 450 the other day with twin pipes, factory stumpys and it looked sweet, much nicer than our single sided canons.

It would be interesting to know just what benefits there are or aren't from that setup, certainly with a V twin the closer the header balance pipe the better the torque.

pete376403
24th September 2009, 20:24
two mufflers might get the noise down without too much restriction, a single muffler to get the noise to the same level might be too big to fit easily around the bikes bits. Noise limits seem to be more important than anything else these days

Shorty_925
24th September 2009, 20:54
They look great, Eddy Seel's RMZ, and Chambon's KXF from last year looked really good.

Monstaman
24th September 2009, 21:04
Noise limits seem to be more important than anything else these days

I think you are pretty well on the knocker, they are getting tougher by the day, you won't be allowed to fart in public soon!! :shit:

NordieBoy
24th September 2009, 22:12
The 'tards usually run bigger mufflers and it's easier to get a pair of smaller ones where you want them, volume and balance-wise.

Kevin Schwantz ran a pair of dirt track style Yoshi's on his Suzy once in the States and the only reason for the second was so the Yoshi sticker was on camera whichever way the bike was heading.
But it did look good.

Shorty_925
27th September 2009, 21:46
Just watching the last round of racing from the world supermoto champs and saw that Eddy Seels Suzuki has twin disic's up front! That must have some stopping power!

That Guy
28th September 2009, 08:14
Beringer make them...nice and cheap too:whistle:

That Guy
28th September 2009, 08:25
here's a couple, not sure of any kits you can get off the shelf though? These ones are custom made jobbies (or at least the joining pipe is)