PDA

View Full Version : Learner bikes, 2 strokes?

george formby
26th September 2009, 13:20
Just a quickie, my partner wants to get her bike licence but I am unsure of the legislation here. Are learner legal bikes restricted purely by capacity (2fiddys) or are their power limitations too? I would like to get her something like a DT230 to start with.

Subike
26th September 2009, 13:45
Borrow someones low HP four stroke ,
Find a nice big dry grass padock,
Fit her out with gloves boots, thick jeans, helmet.
Fill the tank ,
let her loose on the padock for a whole day. 8 hrs at least.
If she does not know how to ride after that she never will.

Then go but her a rosd bike up to 250cc that she likes, not what you like

george formby
26th September 2009, 14:17
Cheers, we have discussed it & she has ridden small 4 stroke roadbikes & it is what she wants. Is it legal?

vindy500
26th September 2009, 14:20
Cheers, we have discussed it & she has ridden small 4 stroke roadbikes & it is what she wants. Is it legal?

anything 250cc and under, no power restrictions at all

firefighter
26th September 2009, 14:32
let her loose on the padock for a whole day. 8 hrs at least.

Lol, 8 hours in a paddock. :sleep:

Ender EnZed
26th September 2009, 15:49

Yes.

It's purely capacity based. You can ride a 60+hp RGV250 on a learners licence perfectly legally.

Motu
26th September 2009, 16:54
Put her in the padock with the DT230...At 40hp the DT230 is pretty powerful,and if the power/weight rules came in it would be illegal for a learner.But they are a really nice bike to ride,keep up with bikes far bigger on and off road....electric start,traction control,the list goes on.I loved mine - but it tended to just want to go,they want to be on or off the throttle,not cruising.They need a bit of care pushing hard on back roads - with the light weight a dip,bump,gravel etc will step the back out...and the 2 stroke high side comes to call.A bit of care and it's a nice bike.

george formby
27th September 2009, 09:46
Put her in the padock with the DT230...At 40hp the DT230 is pretty powerful,and if the power/weight rules came in it would be illegal for a learner.But they are a really nice bike to ride,keep up with bikes far bigger on and off road....electric start,traction control,the list goes on.I loved mine - but it tended to just want to go,they want to be on or off the throttle,not cruising.They need a bit of care pushing hard on back roads - with the light weight a dip,bump,gravel etc will step the back out...and the 2 stroke high side comes to call.A bit of care and it's a nice bike.

Thank you. My partner wants something a bit adventurous so it boils down to what she can touch the ground on. Sooo, the DT or an older saggy 4 stroke. I am a little sceptical that she would be comfortable jumping straight on to a DT, I remember the "moments" I had learning on a 30hp 2 stroke trailie. They are pretty poky! I was a bit taken aback to find that the learner limit is 70kmh :confused:for 6 months. I hope the truck drivers no this. EEEK!:no:

st00ji
27th September 2009, 15:57
my personal experience, if she needs to ride on the motorway then toss the L plate in the bin

not sure what insurance would have to say in the event of a crash, but i felt seriously endangered doing 70km with L plate on m/way.