PDA

View Full Version : Scotsman fails to kiss me first: VMCC Rnd 5

Clivoris
28th September 2009, 20:11
I was always taught that a gentleman should at least kiss a person before he screws them. :laugh:I guess Scracha didn't hear about that, but more about that later.:msn-wink:
I was really looking forward to 2 days of racing but my preparation was a little patchy in some ways. I usually avoid alcohol the night before, but as Scracha was staying over I shared a 6 pack with him. Hardly excessive, and we didn't even stay up late. (Can you feel the excuses starting already?) Then I woke 3 hours earlier than planned to toss and turn restlessly. One of the good things is that I do have lovely new van that was well packed the night before so we made good time to the track and were all set to go before riders briefing.

Qualifying
Supersport qualifying was... a bit odd frankly. I was pleased to get out there and qualified better than usual, given that I normally take half a day to get confidence in the traction. It almost felt as if I was riding someone else's bike and I was being judged by Simon Cowell. I came in before the end of the session with a time of 1:19 putting me 25th on the grid. Ok, but I hadn't got that buzz that kicks in when you are pushing, or things click together. In hindsight, I could have been more nervous than I realised.

Superbike qualifying felt like a lot more fun and I managed to get my head down and pushed a little harder. Pleased to be able to hang onto riders normally quicker than I and equalling my PB with a high 1:16. 30th on the grid but in the company of fine folks like Sparky Bills and Biggles. I had felt a lot more confident, and paradoxically this increased my nerves. Every crash I have had this year (:whistle: only 3!) has closely followed a sense of "I'm getting fucking good at this".

Lunchtime Bucket Race
Some bright spark on the VMCC exec had decided that it would be a bit of a laugh to entertain the punters with an invitational bucket race as part of our farewell to Mel Jackson. Departing Club President and stalwart Clerk of Course for many years. Knowing of my pathological fear of buckets it made sense that I would be invited. Sadists the whole bloody lot of them.

Now, I've never ridden one of these things but am convinced that people make a fundamental error when they assume that they are safe because they are small and slow. Trudes (bless her and her hotness) talked me out of my hiding place by offering me a ride on the mighty Rangi. The term life-changing doesn't really do the experience justice. I swear that the last time my perenium had such an expert workout was in Thailand. If I wasn't coming fourth (I can't be sure as things got pretty blurry) and hunting down Skunk in third, I would have stopped for a wank. I can now honestly say that I have raced Andrew Stroud and come in a credible fourth.

Supersport Race 1
My memory of this race is a little hazy but I got a pretty good start and intended to stick to the basics without scaring myself. I got myself into a nice wee battle with Nick Prestige when, just after I decided to sit behind him and pounce later in the race, bloody Scracha slips up the inside just like a well lubed rugby league player. I didn't even know the sneaky bastard was there:wacko:. I should probably be pleased he didn't bring the rest of the team with him. Scracha managed to get by Nick and I just didn't seem to have the sense of urgency required to push a pass. Neither of them made a mistake so I crossed the finish line with Scracha feeling my moist breath on the back of his neck. I was 22nd with a new PB of 1:16.5. Bloody good fun:2thumbsup but I knew I was making some basic mistakes like getting too tense and thinking about what wasn't working. The rear was getting a few slides on as well.

Superbike Race 1
The odd feeling descended again before this race and combined with my sore forearms to help me decide to treat this like a test session. I wanted to shift some braking markers, experiment with a different gear in a few corners and work on a later turn in on a couple to square them off a bit more. I was also hoping that a click less rebound on the rear would give me a little more traction too. Unsurprisingly, that many goals turned it into a dogs breakfast. A shocking start and 3 laps of confusion later I called it a day, saving some energy for tomorrow.

Day 2
Supersport Race 2
Shit:yawn:, I could have slept in as this was identical to yesterdays race, except a bit slower with an extra helping of looseness. I think I ended up trying too bloody hard, letting Scracha and Nick through after over-cooking turn 1. But they would have caught me anyway the way I was riding. :mad:No matter what I was telling myself, the head just wasn't coming together but I am pleased that I didn't smash the punkin. Once again Scracha pipped me on the line.

Superbikes Race 2
Once again, feeling tired (as a restless night started catching up) and old I only went out to test a suspension change and refine some reference points. This went a bit better than yesterday and I pulled off the track just before the race was red-flagged due to a serious looking crash. :eek:These Superbike boys have got some serious pace and I'm a little out of my depth there, but I learn a little more each time.

Supersport Race 3
:pinch: I desperately wanted to get one back on Scracha in this race so I performed a little psychological first-aid on myself and went to the dummy grid. I got the best first lap of my life in this race. Riding some aggressive lines and making a few passes (safely, honest) on typically faster riders. I tried to be as smooth and consistent as I could be but by the sixth lap I was starting to struggle physically and cognitively. Scracha passed me at some point, hiked up his kilt, and proceeded to pull away like a teenager. By lap 9 my forearms had surrendered and my goal became getting finished without Wharfy taking me to school as well. I think I managed this by the smallest margin.

I didn't even seriously consider giving the last Superbike race a go. I was spent. So, a great learning experience but not as much fun as usual. I certainly need to relax more to stop this bloody arm pump, and don't tell Scracha but I think I will save up for some coaching.

Thanks for reading this.

lukemillar
28th September 2009, 20:28
Haha - good read! :)

Sidewinder
28th September 2009, 20:30
damn read the title then saw you wrote half a page!
i saw the races so dont need to read! was looking forward to hearing about some man on man action

Toast
28th September 2009, 20:35
Hey Clive. Good to see ya out there, mate. New PB is all good! Start from there next round and forget the later races :niceone:

Ivan
28th September 2009, 20:42
good on ya clive those lap times are pretty impressive

chanceyy
28th September 2009, 20:44
good write up Clive and thank gawd there was no men on men action :sick:

was watching you for a while and you were looking smooth so even though you may have struggled, it did not look like it :)

Thankfully the weather held for the weekend, and perfect timing really given the snow/wind on thurs, and rain today :clap:

Edit: :gob: Buckets now saturdays race had to be the funniest thing I have seen in a longggggggggggggg time .. poor Aria, it would have helped if she got out on the track & then knew wot the course was .. :killingme

Trudes
28th September 2009, 20:45
Nice work Clive!! Enjoyed watching you out there on the punkin.
Glad you enjoyed my Rangi, and I understand completely about the bum sex, so I'll give you the same advice someone gave me when I said "no bloody way", Ease into it slowly, relax and use lots of lube. ;) There's always a ride for you on Rangi if you decide to pluck up enough courage to "try" it. :)

Clivoris
28th September 2009, 20:53
Nice work Clive!! Enjoyed watching you out there on the punkin.
Glad you enjoyed my Rangi, and I understand completely about the bum sex, so I'll give you the same advice someone gave me when I said "no bloody way", Ease into it slowly, relax and use lots of lube. ;) There's always a ride for you on Rangi if you decide to pluck up enough courage to "try" it. :)

:killingme Are you on some kind of commision? Thanks again chick. Whatever happens next, Rangi will always be my first and he was wonderful.:love:

slowpoke
28th September 2009, 20:56
Goodonya Clive! You and that mad Scotsman always put on a good show for those "in the know" and it's always an intriguing contest. You seemed to rack up a lot of laps in front of him, just not when it counted. Thanks for the "race within a race", it was fun to watch.

scracha
29th September 2009, 07:59
Then I woke 3 hours earlier than planned to toss and turn restlessly.
MMMMm....matron. Should have joined me in front of the roaring fire loverboy.

certainly need to relax more to stop this bloody arm pump, and don't tell Scracha but I think I will save up for some coaching.

My rates as reasonable..... No seriously, I was thinking of doing the same thing. These 600's are a different kettle of fish no?

Deano
29th September 2009, 08:10
Perenium workout !!! Bwahahaha.

Looking good bro and another PB !

Thanks for our wee chat in my garage - It made me think more about technique rather than just going hard out.

Sparky Bills
29th September 2009, 08:15
Nice riding out there mate!
Keep up the good work. Your getting faster each time you go out. :beer:

Clivoris
29th September 2009, 09:15
Thanks for the support people. It helps heaps. The 600s are definitely a great learning curve Steevie. Hooked now huh?

One highlight of the weekend that I forgot to add was getting the bash from young Glen Skatchill in the last Supersport race. Was I suprised or what when we collided just past the first apex in the Dunlop sweeper as he was lapping me? Apparently he was hoping I would take a later turn in for the second apex:Oops:. In the end it worked out fine and I was actually quite stoked to just wobble a bit and still make the corner. Just goes to show I could have been going much faster and turned in much later. He's a good fellah young Sketchy.

Foxzee
29th September 2009, 11:05
[QUOTE=Clivoris;1129429505] Lunchtime Bucket Race
Some bright spark on the VMCC exec had decided that it would be a bit of a laugh to entertain the punters with an invitational bucket race as part of our farewell to Mel Jackson. Departing Club President and stalwart Clerk of Course for many years. Knowing of my pathological fear of buckets it made sense that I would be invited. Sadists the whole bloody lot of them.

Every Club has to have a bright spark turned sadist...Mr C...hmmmm now how can we set ya for next round......:whistle:

Hey awesome racing ....it was great watching you:2thumbsup

Good read too

Peter Smith
29th September 2009, 12:32
Top effort old chap!:2thumbsup
Yet another brilliant race meeting by your Vic boys and girls.
AAA+++
I think I might look at a 600 next year, cant be all that hard aye mate.

Drew
29th September 2009, 15:15
Great stuff bro, was wicked watching on Saturday, especially when both battles I was watching were on the same bit of track, as Glen and Sam came past you guys towards the end.

Did Stevie tell ya there were a couple changes made to his bike for him, that made it ride more to his liking, or just take the credit for going faster all himself?

Clivoris
29th September 2009, 15:25
Great stuff bro, was wicked watching on Saturday, especially when both battles I was watching were on the same bit of track, as Glen and Sam came past you guys towards the end.

Did Stevie tell ya there were a couple changes made to his bike for him, that made it ride more to his liking, or just take the credit for going faster all himself?

Cheers man. Yeah, Steevie gave you due credit bro. He was so smooth in that last race with the decent tyre and revised geometry.

mossy1200
29th September 2009, 15:39
Great racing.I dont know how you juggle two bikes.I tried a fzr750 and 1000 on the same day and just couldnt get it right for the first few laps.

Clivoris
29th September 2009, 15:52
Great racing.I dont know how you juggle two bikes.I tried a fzr750 and 1000 on the same day and just couldnt get it right for the first few laps.

Cheers Mossy, but I think you meant that for the flying Scotsman Scracha. I agree with you that it's a pretty big achievement, especially back to back. It shouldn't be a suprise though, he's a freak in so many other ways why not this too?:dodge:

mossy1200
29th September 2009, 15:54
Cheers Mossy, but I think you meant that for the flying Scotsman Scracha. I agree with you that it's a pretty big achievement, especially back to back. It shouldn't be a suprise though, he's a freak in so many other ways why not this too?:dodge:
LOL was refering to the power house bucket bike.

Drew
29th September 2009, 16:00
Cheers man. Yeah, Steevie gave you due credit bro. He was so smooth in that last race with the decent tyre and revised geometry.lol, I gotta get in on the racing some way or another. Watching sucks.

Clivoris
29th September 2009, 16:01
LOL was refering to the power house bucket bike.

:killingme I was more scared of the bloody bucket than the 600. Honest. I used to surf and noticed how many guys would get hurt in small waves because they would get into "hot-dog" mode, but on the big waves showed much more respect so had fewer injuries. I can see similar potential in buckets. It was a very good time though and it would be worth giving it a lunge if I had a positive cash flow.

mossy1200
29th September 2009, 16:05
:killingme I was more scared of the bloody bucket than the 600. Honest. I used to surf and noticed how many guys would get hurt in small waves because they would get into "hot-dog" mode, but on the big waves showed much more respect so had fewer injuries. I can see similar potential in buckets. It was a very good time though and it would be worth giving it a lunge if I had a positive cash flow.
Im picking up my vt250 tomorrow night .Going to dump one top end and plate over it.vt125 only not v.You can ride mine.Mental note need less expensive helmet and old leathers.Have seen these guys fall and still win races.Rumour is they wear old man nappies like we wear back brace to protect their butts.Hope you were wearing them.Must ride safe.

Str8 Jacket
29th September 2009, 16:27
Thanks for our wee chat in my garage - It made me think more about technique rather than just going hard out.
Hmm, yes. Clive, I seem to recall our little chat at pit wall when you made me think more about what I was actually trying to achieve other than just 'go faster'. You must be getting wise in your young age eh!

Should've heard what Stevie said he'd done to Clives bike...

:killingme I was more scared of the bloody bucket than the 600.
So you should have been!! :nono:

Awesome work out there mate, I enjoyed watching some of your battles! You were looking nice and smooth and alot more relaxed this weekend! :niceone:

kit
29th September 2009, 20:12
LMAO!!! I really enjoyed that race report, was damn funny.... I can't wait to get out on the track and get goin, just getting a few wee things sorted, then fun fun fun!

Clivoris
29th September 2009, 21:00
Hmm, yes. Clive, I seem to recall our little chat at pit wall when you made me think more about what I was actually trying to achieve other than just 'go faster'. You must be getting wise in your young age eh!

Should've heard what Stevie said he'd done to Clives bike...

So you should have been!! :nono:

Awesome work out there mate, I enjoyed watching some of your battles! You were looking nice and smooth and alot more relaxed this weekend! :niceone:
Cheers chickie. I've got to get better at taking my own medicine. It's hard case, cos I didn't feel very smooth but I am definitely improving. Getting better at racing is definitely an ongoing project for me that will need time to ripen. I have to remember to give attention to the stuff that goes right and keep having fun.

LMAO!!! I really enjoyed that race report, was damn funny.... I can't wait to get out on the track and get goin, just getting a few wee things sorted, then fun fun fun!

Thanks as well. Definitely get out there as soon as possible mate. Every racer I have spoken to has said they wished they started earlier. It is huge fun, and very social as an extra bonus.

wharfy
29th September 2009, 21:34
It was a great weekend eh ? Good comapany and great racing. I am having a great deal of difficulty catching you once you get in front.

And an entertaining read as usual :)

Clivoris
30th September 2009, 11:08
It was a great weekend eh ? Good comapany and great racing. I am having a great deal of difficulty catching you once you get in front.

And an entertaining read as usual :)

It was a very good weekend. The usual friendly buzz around the pits, lots of spectators and bloody great weather. I also know the pain of not being able to quite catch someone who gets past mate. Who we gonna get some coaching off?

wharfy
30th September 2009, 11:32
It was a very good weekend. The usual friendly buzz around the pits, lots of spectators and bloody great weather. I also know the pain of not being able to quite catch someone who gets past mate. Who we gonna get some coaching off?

I'm pretty sure the first thing any "coach" would tell me is to loose 10kg and get fit enough to run 10 laps of Manfeild without assistance from St John's.
After every race weekend I decide I am going to do that.
Not sure how, I might just go and have a cup of tea and biscuit while I think about it.

Clivoris
1st October 2009, 19:15
I'm pretty sure the first thing any "coach" would tell me is to loose 10kg and get fit enough to run 10 laps of Manfeild without assistance from St John's.
After every race weekend I decide I am going to do that.
Not sure how, I might just go and have a cup of tea and biscuit while I think about it.

Brian Bernard is doing a bit in December at Manfeild, or we could track down one of the Merkel days at Taupo.

wharfy
2nd October 2009, 04:41
Brian Bernard is doing a bit in December at Manfeild, or we could track down one of the Merkel days at Taupo.

Darrin reconed that Mr Merkel was pretty good.

Clivoris
4th October 2009, 17:50
:woohoo: Quake with fear mere mortals. I have recently acquired a powerball. No more arm pump and solo sex will now be a life threatening experience.

scracha
5th October 2009, 14:11
:No more arm pump and solo sex will now be a life threatening experience.

Be careful you don't pull the head of little clivoris.

NinjaBoy
6th October 2009, 01:31
Jeez I'm away for one round and everyone is pulling out PB's and Wharfy, whom I was battling with at R4, is complaining he can't keep up with you...:gob: Even Dave who bought my old bike can lap faster than I could !

Good to see you and Stevie really getting into the 600 and putting in some really good laptimes.

I'm just hoping the new bike comes together for Round 6 as it still in bits all over the garage floor!

SWERVE
6th October 2009, 05:52
Oh Wharfy.......you hit the nail "right on the head" with the coaching tips LMAO:yes:
See you for a "BRISK' walk around the streets of Greymouth........there are a few "tea shops" on the way round LOL:woohoo:

Clivoris
6th October 2009, 17:30
Be careful you don't pull the head of little clivoris.
Been trying most of my life mate and haven't even come close.

Jeez I'm away for one round and everyone is pulling out PB's and Wharfy, whom I was battling with at R4, is complaining he can't keep up with you...:gob: Even Dave who bought my old bike can lap faster than I could !

Good to see you and Stevie really getting into the 600 and putting in some really good laptimes.

I'm just hoping the new bike comes together for Round 6 as it still in bits all over the garage floor!
Yeah Gah. Supersport is a bloody cauldron mate. Steevie has aclimatised and taught the 600 to understand his accent so I'm in the shit. I've given up even thinking about trying to keep up with Darren. Be great to see you again at round 6. i'm sure you will be abck in the mix.

Oh Wharfy.......you hit the nail "right on the head" with the coaching tips LMAO:yes:
See you for a "BRISK' walk around the streets of Greymouth........there are a few "tea shops" on the way round LOL:woohoo:

I need to get me a triumph. It seems to civilise people...Or do civilised people choose the triumph?