PDA

View Full Version : Replacing indicators?

rosie631
29th September 2009, 17:09
Hi. I'm looking to put new indicators on my bike. The ones I've seen for sale seem to have one black wire and one red. My current ones have one black and one purple. I'm guessing I just connect black to black and red to purple?? Can anyone tell me for sure please?

NDORFN
29th September 2009, 17:10
Yep, black to black every time I've come across it. Doesn't matter if you try both ways though, the relay will stop anything shorting out.

Warr
29th September 2009, 19:31
Hi. I'm looking to put new indicators on my bike. The ones I've seen for sale seem to have one black wire and one red. My current ones have one black and one purple. I'm guessing I just connect black to black and red to purple?? Can anyone tell me for sure please?
No

But worth telling you.....
Go for the LED ones be best .. because
from my and others experience.....
The slim after-market ones you can buy have strange bulbs in them
The ones I had, the small bulb had a really long filament which on something with a motor ... like a m/bike, the vibration kills them fast as.
The ones I had the bulbs cost as much as the complete unit :(

Friend has some other varity currently on his bike. Strange bulb that fortunately the shop that supplied them is currently holding spares for.

So pay a bit extra and put LED ones on if you can :)

rosie631
29th September 2009, 20:03
Don't you need to adapt the wiring for LEDs?

rosie631
29th September 2009, 20:04
I did put LEDs on my old bike with no problems but have read since then they can be dodgy unless you adapt the wiring.

YellowDog
29th September 2009, 20:13
Those integrated tail light/indicators look really cool.

rosie631
29th September 2009, 20:15
Yeah they do. Saw a smokey tail light with indicators in it on tard me a while back. Been waiting for another one to come up but no luck. Had a look on a couple of sites but haven't been able to find one.

FJRider
29th September 2009, 20:18
The normal bulb indicators will work either way... the indicators merely complete an electrical circuit.

Hahn
29th September 2009, 20:27
A standard bulb will work either way, but standard practice is to keep black as the negative/earth wire. LED's only work one way (as they are diodes) so you can't go wrong (it just won't light up), also, you need to drop the voltage for LED's, some come with a resister already in the circuit ;)

Laava
29th September 2009, 22:21
The LED indicators you buy will be 12v almost without exception but you will need to replace your ind relay with an electronic one [tridon HD12 I think] otherwise they will flash too fast. there are other methods but this way is best.
Try this site Rosie, I have ordered from them before. They have got some awesome gear. Check out their fork ring type indicators, http://www.customdynamics.com/harley_davidson_led_lights_catalog.htm#Harley Davidson Motorcyle LED Tail Lights Brake Lights

LBD
30th September 2009, 02:46
I fitted 4 super small and super bright RIZZOMA LED's to my bike and they are super bright, no mistaking my cornering intentions.

Came with resisters to mix and match to get the same resistance as the std globes, no relay problems...

They get my endorsment.

rosie631
30th September 2009, 08:25
Thanks everyone for help and suggestions. And thanks Laava for the awesome website link. Looks like some great stuff on there.

bsasuper
30th September 2009, 18:48
Theres heaps on ebay, I picked up a whole kit with 4 led indicators, led flasher relay and led stop/tail bulbs for $80nz

AllanB
30th September 2009, 19:09
I fitted 4 super small and super bright RIZZOMA LED's to my bike and they are super bright, no mistaking my cornering intentions.

I was looking at them on your bike (become a Friday lunch-time hobby ha ha!) I wondered how bright they were - they are small. Bloody nice pieces of machining.

Rosie - this USA site has some nice ones - standard bulbs and LED's available, and if you order from them just get spare bulbs too. www.flyncycle.com the alloy Shark head ones would look nice on a HD as would the torpedo LED ones.
Also anything you put on should be E-marked otherwise Mr WOF man may fail them.

Budget Motorcycles has a reasonable selection on display and someone (maybe Pit Lane) has the Oxford LED ones on display (these are not very HD styled IMO).

Laava
30th September 2009, 21:46
[QUOTE=AllanB;1129433509]Also anything you put on should be E-marked otherwise Mr WOF man may fail them.QUOTE]
Actually, they will only fail you if the bike is being complianced, not for WOF. This seems like a double std I know but that is the law! I have no E marked indicators on either of my current bikes and have no trouble with WOF. I even brought the subject up with them twice.

ckai
1st October 2009, 06:33
Thanks everyone for help and suggestions. And thanks Laava for the awesome website link. Looks like some great stuff on there.

Get your indicators sorted? It must be the season for it because I've just finished replacing all of mine. Got me some flash fang-dangle ones from the US of A for the front and some Oxford ones for the rear. All LED.

Piece of cake to install (black to black, whatever is left to the other). And the oxford ones come with resistors to bring the rate back to normal. Tried without it first and it was playing silly buggers with the dash light. I was gonna leave it since flashing faster was more noticeable. Added the resistor and it wasn't that bad so left it.

Easy-peesy-japaneesy.

rosie631
1st October 2009, 18:30
Have stuck with the stock indicators for the moment. Remounted back ones close to the struts instead of sticking out half a mile and moved front ones from bars to forks. Looks way better. May replace them further down the track if I come across some I like.

Zuki lover
1st October 2009, 19:14
You can always stick your leg out - that seems to work for one of the guys in our group :killingme