PDA

View Full Version : Is this a scam?

Rodney007
1st October 2009, 07:50
listen to this, after leaving a message on a phone number last night, that was going to send out information on part-time work from home stuff.

I get a call last night at around 8pm from a posh sounding english lady asking me if i knew of a "Ashwin Mayer" I said no Ii had never heard of that person,

She kept insisting how strange that was. As he passed on my details to her. I told her I had left a message on a phone number about parttime work, and that was the only way I could think of that she could of got in contact with me.

anyway she said that it would double or increase my income , and is an offical form of part-time employment, not a money down package. She insisted that we meet discuss the position, and that we should organise a time to meet at a cafe in the city, she said we would have a coffee and she would explain the deal to me,

So I asked if there was a website I could get more information on this.
she said there is also a website but i need a username/password, that comes with a one-off registration fee if $160.00 LOL

(at this stage im like WTF SCAM)

But she insisted that she would show me the ropes and the website before any kind of registration which happens a bit furthur down the line., and also if the situation seemed good, she would take me back to the office and introduce me to the team, all before the registration.

So I said okay and we are meeting up on sunday in the city,

what you think about that ? It was a very strange phone call and I was quite hesitant at first. but then was interested jsut to see what this woman was on about.

Anyone heard of this kind of situation, anyone smell a scam?

Let me know and Il post up and up-date after our meet in town,

mashman
1st October 2009, 07:58
if it's too good to be true it usually is... but there's no harm in finding out as there's no money involved at this point and that's a hell of a lot of work to put in for 160 bucks...

MSTRS
1st October 2009, 08:13
Sounds like Amway (not a scam, but not up to the hype)

Mully
1st October 2009, 08:19
Don't drink the Kool-Aid.

P38
1st October 2009, 08:22
What can you lose by just listening?

Worst that can happen is you'll have a good story to tell about the scam she's running.

I'd make her pay for the coffees too.

steve_t
1st October 2009, 08:24
Did u get her name and phone number? You can look up the company online with the companies office and see when it was incorporated and who the directors are. You can then see what other companies the directors have. If you have no idea who Ashwin Mayer is, I'm gonna go with scam

sinned
1st October 2009, 08:26
There is always something to learn from these encounters and let her pay for the coffee. Just don't sign anything or hand over any money. As an extra bonus - she could be hot?

Rodney007
1st October 2009, 08:29
well she sounded mid 25's so i was more keen to meet up and check her out :P, and worse comes to worse, 160 aint alot of money.

yes! nothing to loose at this stage aye, and Im not sure if thats how his name was spelt, the number she called me on was not private, so I might see if its linked anywhere..

:-)

Edbear
1st October 2009, 08:32
Had something similar offered to me. Faenza Aitken is the lady running it if it's the same. Similar to multi-level marketing and you have to travel and spend dollops of cash going to seminars etc. American concept, Faenza is a Kiwi based in Aus.

http://www.JustPureI.com
http://www.2aRichLife.com.au

Check these out.

Edbear
1st October 2009, 08:48
Oh, and PS. They don't like taking "No" for an answer.

Rodney007
1st October 2009, 09:00
dont worry mate, im just guna wing it , and NO is my middle name

NDORFN
1st October 2009, 09:02
Ashwin Mayer is an anagram for Amway Shiner. Maybe she wants to give you a black eye and sell you some makeup to cover it.

PrincessBandit
1st October 2009, 09:07
well she sounded mid 25's so i was more keen to meet up and check her out :P, and worse comes to worse, 160 aint alot of money.

yes! nothing to loose at this stage aye, and Im not sure if thats how his name was spelt, the number she called me on was not private, so I might see if its linked anywhere..

:-)

Yeah do it baby! I wouldn't part with any cash though even if she is hot, but certainly see what she has to say then report back with the dirt.

We had an FAI guy years back trying to sell us a security system (we already had one; two if you counted the dog....) and while we didn't lead him on we had no intention of forking out that kinda money. He was most disappointed when he learned we were just as persistent with saying "no" as he was with trying to convince us. Hehehehehe.

steve_t
1st October 2009, 09:07
LOL @ multilevel marketing. It's not a pyramind, it's a trapezoid :laugh:

BOGAR
1st October 2009, 09:50
To be safe take $20 out of your wallet and "forget" to take your wallet with you. That way your NO gets a little easer. Be interested to find out how it goes. (and don't forget the pictures :lol: ).

slofox
1st October 2009, 10:09
Let's know if she's hot...

klingon
1st October 2009, 10:47
Ha ha even if it's not a scam it definitley sounds like one of those dodgy deals where they manage to get your money and you end up with little or no benefit!

DEFINITELY don't give her ANY money - at least until you've come back here and told us all about it so we can check it out and give you feedback.

I second the idea of emptying your wallet before you go. Take $20 cash but leave everything else at home and DO NOT sign any agreement, no matter how persuasive she is.

Oh yeah, make sure she pays for the coffee. And while you're there order a muffin or something and put it on her tab.

I had something similar a few years ago when I was buying shoes in a shoe shop. The lady behind the counter seemed to just be making small-talk asking what I did for a living etc, but at the end she suggested she would get her daughter to call me because her daughter was making a lot of extra money doing something-or-other (can't even remember what). Anyway I met the daughter for coffee (she paid) and I said "no thanks" to her deal. She rang me up several times after that to try to talk me into it. I had a good mind to call the shoe shop and tell them that their staff were using the shop to prospect for people they could exploit.

Anyway I'm really good at saying NO so it didn't really bother me and it was a funny little adventure.

Can't wait to hear all about it.

NighthawkNZ
1st October 2009, 11:20
Smells of fish... there is usually a fish somewhere...

Fatt Max
1st October 2009, 11:34
Tell her you were really glad to get the call because since your last prison sentance your life has been quiet.

Also, try throwing in these amusing phrases if you get a chance:

1. You have nice hair, does it burn well
2. Oh no, the voices are telling me to sharpen the knives again
3. Argghh...opsie, just followed through there
4. Cat tastes like chicken
5. You muct recycle heaps because your trash bin was empty last night
6. Do you like my face
7. Ah, you remind me of my Auntie Sally the day I was tried for her molestation
8. Dont suppose you have a spare room I could rent
9. I like living near a school
10. Listen, I'm a mouse....eeek.....eeek

See how far she runs mate, works all the time for me...

Good luck and giver 'er one for England

Gremlin
1st October 2009, 12:41
On the topic of legit scams, I reckon this is one: http://www.acn.co.nz/

Mom
1st October 2009, 16:19
I once got a tv and my petrol paid to have a grubby weekend in Paihia by a company attempting to sell time shares :yes: Bloody hoot it was, had absolutely no intention of buying one, but when they offered to pay for my petrol and throw in a TV as well, I would have been a fool to turn it down. The sell was hard though, they were less best pleased when we continued to say no!

paddy
1st October 2009, 18:27
Ashwin Mayer is an anagram for Amway Shiner. Maybe she wants to give you a black eye and sell you some makeup to cover it.

Mate - you must be bored. :-)

paddy
1st October 2009, 18:32
Anyone heard of this kind of situation, anyone smell a scam?

It may not be a scam in the legal sense of the term - but it sounds like a high pressure marketing strategy to me. Don't sign anything. Don't pay anything. She may try and talk you into both, infer that you might miss out, infer that signing is no-big-deal and just adds you to their database. The appropriate response to that is "well you won't mind if I have my lawyer look this over then will you". Personally, I wouldn't bother going. If you come in under her then you are going to have to work harder than her to receive any payback. Sounds like she is "working" pretty hard.

P.

Rodney007
1st October 2009, 18:49
Im just looking foward to a free muffin and coffee.. :-D

i could mount a small camera so you guys can see for yourself

paddy
1st October 2009, 18:54
Im just looking foward to a free muffin and coffee.. :-D

i could mount a small camera so you guys can see for yourself

Now there's a good conversation starter to see how committed she is: "You don't mind if I record this interaction do you?" :-)

StoneY
1st October 2009, 18:59
We had an FAI guy years back trying to sell us a security system (we already had one; two if you counted the dog....) and while we didn't lead him on we had no intention of forking out that kinda money. He was most disappointed when he learned we were just as persistent with saying "no" as he was with trying to convince us. Hehehehehe.

We in same situation 2 weeks ago, lol guy spent 40 minutes trying to convince mo our staffyx and current alarm (and horrible biker types hanging round) was not secure enough and we needed HIS system :zzzz:

I love em, them and Mormons (no offense Carver) they go away doubting themselves hahahaha

steve_t
1st October 2009, 19:28
If she's hot, you should get all your mates to go for a muffin and coffee with her :2thumbsup
If she wants you to give any money up front, ask if the company can cover the costs and deduct 10% of your income monthly until the amount is paid off. If your income is going to be as much as they propose, it shouldn't take long to pay back ;)

Rodney007
1st October 2009, 22:51
If she's hot, you should get all your mates to go for a muffin and coffee with her :2thumbsup
If she wants you to give any money up front, ask if the company can cover the costs and deduct 10% of your income monthly until the amount is paid off. If your income is going to be as much as they propose, it shouldn't take long to pay back ;)

exactly, putting money down on employment sounds sus,

ukbandit
2nd October 2009, 07:19
might be black market organ dealers? beware! wake up in a bath with a kidney missing......

Rodney007
5th October 2009, 10:30
okay update, admitibly i got busy on sunday and couldnt relli be bothered going in all honesty,

saturday morning, i get a call from a man, returning my message orginaly left on the ph number supplied . I mentioned the lady that called me to him and that she charged a $160 registration fee. He had no knowledge of her although they were both offering this same position.

Apparantly what you do is you promote a product (some kind of magic herbal formula) and then you also get the money from the "registration fees" of signing up new people,

the funny thing was, his registration fee was $560.00!! I told him that i wasnt interested. He said that was fine and he would ring later to catch up or something lol, I also told the lady i wasnt interested.

you only make 500-1500 a month, and sounds like a bit of a used car-salesman type roll, not my thing..... scam, %50

feel sorry for these guys

MSTRS
5th October 2009, 10:36
okay update, admitibly i got busy on sunday and couldnt relli be bothered going in all honesty,

saturday morning, i get a call from a man, returning my message orginaly left on the ph number supplied . I mentioned the lady that called me to him and that she charged a $160 registration fee. He had no knowledge of her although they were both offering this same position.

Apparantly what you do is you promote a product (some kind of magic herbal formula) and then you also get the money from the "registration fees" of signing up new people,

the funny thing was, his registration fee was $560.00!! I told him that i wasnt interested. He said that was fine and he would ring later to catch up or something lol, I also told the lady i wasnt interested.

you only make 500-1500 a month, and sounds like a bit of a used car-salesman type roll, not my thing..... scam, %50

feel sorry for these guys

That is the definition of a pyramid scheme. You only make money by signing new people up. Pyramid schemes are illegal (in NZ).

Taz
5th October 2009, 10:44
So we'll never know if she was hot?? Lazy bugger.

"Rambo"
5th October 2009, 11:16
Had something similar offered to me. Faenza Aitken is the lady running it if it's the same. Similar to multi-level marketing and you have to travel and spend dollops of cash going to seminars etc. American concept, Faenza is a Kiwi based in Aus.

http://www.JustPureI.com
http://www.2aRichLife.com.au

Check these out.

Check these out if your worried about scams. its a complete list of Chinese shopping site scammers.

http://www.firetrust.com/en/blog/chris/the-bigger-list-of-chinese-scams?page=3

Rodney007
5th October 2009, 11:23
So we'll never know if she was hot?? Lazy bugger.

lol.... was going to go cause i really didnt have a full idea on what was going to happen. as she seemed to hold back on alot fo the details via the ph, probably wanting to use her charm, a flash english accent to suck me in face to face,

after the guy called it put me off. if its illegal should i report the guys number to the police? hes advertising in the local newspaper

Gremlin
5th October 2009, 17:04
That is the definition of a pyramid scheme. You only make money by signing new people up. Pyramid schemes are illegal (in NZ).
Yes, its the definition, but Amway is operating... I believe if they're selling a legitimate product or something, they can get around the pyramid scheme rules. The ACN link above I posted does exactly that as well.

Basically, those schemes entice you with the basic, sign up, and the more people you sign up, the more you get (or you get promoted to higher positions) with flash titles, promises of lots of money etc.

Unfortunately, often those that can least afford it, are the ones sucked into the scheme.

MSTRS
5th October 2009, 17:11
Yes, its the definition, but Amway is operating... I believe if they're selling a legitimate product or something, they can get around the pyramid scheme rules. The ACN link above I posted does exactly that as well.

Basically, those schemes entice you with the basic, sign up, and the more people you sign up, the more you get (or you get promoted to higher positions) with flash titles, promises of lots of money etc.

Unfortunately, often those that can least afford it, are the ones sucked into the scheme.

You are quite right. To be legal, there must be a product or service exchanged for money. Some of these 'schemes' skate real close to the line, though. Like it or not, Amway and others of a similar nature are not even close to that line.
A pyramid scheme consists solely of people signing up new people and taking a % of the signup fee for themselves. There was one called Aeroplane floating around quite a few years ago. Decreasing percentages apply all the way to the top, where the money can be huge, due to hundreds of people below paying a little up the line. If no-one new signs up, the whole thing collapses.
The term 'pyramid' is not really fair though, since it describes a hierarchy where a few at the top make all the money...just like any business with layers of staff.

steve_t
5th October 2009, 17:21
I think that a pyramid scheme involves getting money because the person you signed up sold something. To get around this, instead of getting money, you get credits... :blink: I went along to a "multi level marketing" seminar by a company called Usana. They sell multivitamin/multimineral dietary supplements. I thought I'd check it out cos I was interested in their product. When the guest speaker came out the first thing he said was "Who here wants to make some money?!" and I instantly knew I was in the wrong place.
It turns out that as a Usana seller, you need to buy Usana yourself for $300 a month. The way you offset these costs are by signing up other people below you. They'll each pay $300 a month and you'll get credits to lower your costs. "It isn't a pyramid because you can only have 2 people below you. Those 2 people are each only allowed 2 people".... hmmm 1 person at the top and an exponentially increase down through lower levels... pyramid? But the people below you don't give you money directly. You instead get credits from the company - thus it's not a pyramd scheme :blink::blink::blink:

MSTRS
6th October 2009, 08:24
I think that a pyramid scheme involves getting money because the person you signed up sold something. To get around this, instead of getting money, you get credits... :blink: I went along to a "multi level marketing" seminar by a company called Usana. They sell multivitamin/multimineral dietary supplements. I thought I'd check it out cos I was interested in their product. When the guest speaker came out the first thing he said was "Who here wants to make some money?!" and I instantly knew I was in the wrong place.
It turns out that as a Usana seller, you need to buy Usana yourself for $300 a month. The way you offset these costs are by signing up other people below you. They'll each pay $300 a month and you'll get credits to lower your costs. "It isn't a pyramid because you can only have 2 people below you. Those 2 people are each only allowed 2 people".... hmmm 1 person at the top and an exponentially increase down through lower levels... pyramid? But the people below you don't give you money directly. You instead get credits from the company - thus it's not a pyramd scheme :blink::blink::blink:
Eh...wrong!! For a scheme to be a 'pyramid', there must be no product changing hands, and money comes direct from signing up people below you. I said so in my last post.
I also said that the word 'pyramid' is a misnomer, because every business is set up on the same lines...except hospitals :blink: where there is one person on the 'shop floor' and increasing numbers at each level up the management chain...well OK - that's an inverted pyramid.