PDA

View Full Version : SCUZEMEs RACE REPORT VMCC Round 5: Endo Bigtime

scuzeme
1st October 2009, 11:30
Cruised upto Manfeild Thursday night and got to the track pretty early Friday morning for the practice day.
The track management in their wisdom decided to continue some repairs and try and loose some standing water problems so no one got out there until after lunch how beit at half price day fees.
RT had just completed a front end modification on my forks so I was keen to try out the handling and get in some good lap times, came away with pretty consistant 16’s, got our garage key and set up for Saturday.
SATURDAY
F2 Qualifying
I had been chewing up rear rubber at the last round and RT had told me to run a heavier spring so I grudgingly removed my rear shock and got a new spring fitted all the while deciding if I should keep my wets on my spare rims or chuck a new set of Metzeler Slicks on, I ended up going out on some older Racetechs.
The new spring completely changed the front end feel and the bike seemed to be way more planted than ever this gave me much more confidence in the Hairpin and Higgins although the front end was diving a bit under brakes and I wasn’t able to brake at my usual braking markers without the rear swinging around in the air!
Qualified 15th on my last lap with a 1:16.8

F1 Qualifying
Back to see RT about the front end dive which resulted in a slight adjusting of the lower clicker, compression rebound I think! And back out on the track qualifying 26th with a best lap time of 1:16.5, pretty disappointed with the grid position in both races but what can ya do!

F2 Race 1
My goal for this meet was to concentrate on the F2 races and use the F1 races as practice/experience time.
Got out on the grid after fitting my new Metzeler Slicks and pressed the “go like fuck” button, this race became a tight tussle between me Marcus, Bruce, Martin and Jason Green on a 748, I kept slowing down to much in the corner entry but had better than average drive out of the corners and down the straights, I was able to keep undertaking Marcus on the exit of Dunlop but he kept out braking me into Toyota I knew that this wouldn’t matter because I would be infront at the checkered flag if I kept doing my thing out of Dunlop, I managed to get past him again and held him off at Toyota then I was able to make a small break from the pack to come home ahead in 14th Place with a new PB of 1:15.21.

F1 Race 1
Between races I was speaking with Keri Duki and he gave me his take on what I might be doing “not so well” in the races taking his advice on board I went out gridded up and right from the start tried a couple of new things. At race end I was a placed 20th out of 31 riders but my best lap time was a 1:14.2 yes a whole second better than my previous lap time in race 1! Everyone had lifted their game to a new level in this race and the competition was fierce to say the least.

That was it for the day I went home to ponder the results and look a the race footage which consisted of a very shaky picture and a rather deperate looking Martin Billing trying pass me but to no avail (Sorry Martin, u must have been pissed).

SUNDAY
F2 Race 2
This race was very much like Race 1 with the same group fighting it out, fortunately for me, Marcus and Martin, Bruce went wide at Higgins and pushed Keelim wide so we all ducked under and got home before them Muhahahaaa I placed 12th with a 1:15.22
At this stage I don’t mind saying my goal for the weekend was to come home infront of Marcus in the F2 races, so after the second time doing this I was pretty happy with myself, these races were exiting and we were all buzzing at the end of each one.

F1 Race 2
We all got off to a good start but the race was red flagged 6 laps in I noted later that my best lap time for this restart race was a pleasing 1:14.6.
We restarted and after the tyre change Marcus had done he was flying and untouchable I placed 18th out of 29 starters with what now seemed a slow 1:16.

F2 Race 3
It seemed that there were a very competitive little bunch that I ended up dueling with all weekend, Marcus, Bruce Williams, Martin Billing, Keelim and Jason Green we all seemed to be of similar pace each of us having an advantage some where on the track only to be off set by a weakness or little mistake somewhere else.
This was a good race and I as determined to make it a hat trick against Marcus.
We launched off the grid with Marcus and Martin getting ahead out of Toyota, I stayed right up there bums going into splash and managed to overtake both of them just before the right hand kink, I was able to hold Marcus of until he overtook me going into splash the nest lap then he just disappeared it was amazing how quick he was there was nothing I could do but concentrate on holding off Martin who also eventually got past me and he too just disappeared!
I was a bit disappointed about my performance in this race I think at that stage of the day I was really tired and my rear tyre had started to overheat and get really loose engine braking into corners. I placed 15th out of 28 riders with a best lap time of 1:15.5.

F1 Race 3
At the end of the Supersport race I decided that I was too tired, making too many mistakes and my rear tyre was too far gone to compete.
After getting Choppa to check out my rear tyre we decided to turn it around and I went out just to get some points.
I started the race really well and was on the pace behind Marcus for a few laps then the fatigue started to effect me, I felt the front let go at Toyota and again at Higgins and should of backed off, instead I kept pushing it.
Coming into splash Keelim and Bryce overtook me and I pushed hard out of splash and leaned the bike over and pinned it hoping to get good drive out of the right hander, the front failed and I just remember tumbling and thinking don’t fight it just keep rolling till you stop.
When I got up I saw bike debris everywhere, I just got over to the safety area as quick as I could in shock at what had just happened.
Later a few people said the syncronised tumbling of bike a rider looked quite spectacular!.

What do I take away from the weekend? Well a 1:14.2 on a 600 isnt to shabby and I have meet and exceeded all my goals for the season, now I just have to make it to round 6 and maybe just maybe I can finish top 10 in F2 for my “rookie” year.

Sorry this is a bit long, Cheers and peace out.

chanceyy
1st October 2009, 11:56
cool write up Scuze, bike sure looked sad bringing it in .. dunno if you could have had it in any more peices

good luck with getting it all back together and congrats on the new PB .. the highs & lows of racing in one weekend :yes:

mossy1200
1st October 2009, 11:56
repairs suck.Hope its not to bad.Good lap times.

Benk
1st October 2009, 12:05
Good stuff man, f2 races were fun to watch!

CHOPPA
1st October 2009, 12:17
Cheers for the pits! I was a bit worried when i saw you on the ground in the last race after i said yeah the tyre will be ok!

I was glad it was the front ya lost! haha as nice as that sounds! Good ridin anyway and maybe some secret weapons for next round?

Toast
1st October 2009, 13:53
Mate, you’ve really got some suspension issues if you chewed up that nice, new set of slicks so quickly! (you did put them on after Saturday, right?)

I’m pretty sure that I saw the tank fly off your bike and spray gas around during that crash and I was fearing an inferno. Luckily not though!

Good fun battling with you a few times out there.

Catch you at round 6! :)

StoneY
1st October 2009, 14:02
Missed ya crash bro (dam) but have a couple of blurry pix of you powering onto the start straight.
Showed some of the old schoolies, theyre pretty impressed ScuzE ;)
Good luck getting her back up for next round and great report, see you next time
:crazy:

Str8 Jacket
1st October 2009, 14:07
Dude, I felt soooo sorry for you standing there with you bike a mangled mess! Like I said though, you were looking really comfortable and smooth out there before the spill.

Looking forward to giving you a bit of shit at the next round! ;)

Clivoris
1st October 2009, 15:30
Bummed about your smash bro and at first I was worried you had dinged a collar bone or shoulder when you ran for cover. It looked like you were cradling an arm. You took another huge step up man and congratulations on that. The systematic and thoughtful approach pays off yet again:2thumbsup. I sat out the last F1 race due to arm pump and tyre preservation issues. After watching you I was pleased too.
I hope the bike can be rebuilt in time.

Sparky Bills
1st October 2009, 15:36
Great riding mate! I had a ball in that last race.
Hope you get the bike together and ready for next round.
Got any of that footage up yet?? (you know the footage im talking about... :whistle:)

wharfy
1st October 2009, 16:17
What do I take away from the weekend? Well a 1:14.2 on a 600 isnt to shabby and I have meet and exceeded all my goals for the season, now I just have to make it to round 6 and maybe just maybe I can finish top 10 in F2 for my “rookie” year.

Mate you have been doing really well !!

I was a bit bummed when I saw your bike on the grass as I had been telling you to "just do it" when you were considering whether or not to go out. :(

Hope you can get the bike sorted for round 6.
Oh good write up too :2thumbsup

racerhead
1st October 2009, 16:18
Was good battling with you in that last race and couldnt believe it the next lap round when I saw your bike lying there.
Hopefully you will get the bike sorted and see ya at the next round:2thumbsup

Biggles08
1st October 2009, 16:37
Cruised upto Manfeild Thursday night and got to the track pretty early Friday morning for the practice day.
The track management in their wisdom decided to continue some repairs and try and loose some standing water problems so no one got out there until after lunch how beit at half price day fees.
RT had just completed a front end modification on my forks so I was keen to try out the handling and get in some good lap times, came away with pretty consistant 16’s, got our garage key and set up for Saturday.
SATURDAY
F2 Qualifying
I had been chewing up rear rubber at the last round and RT had told me to run a heavier spring so I grudgingly removed my rear shock and got a new spring fitted all the while deciding if I should keep my wets on my spare rims or chuck a new set of Metzeler Slicks on, I ended up going out on some older Racetechs.
The new spring completely changed the front end feel and the bike seemed to be way more planted than ever this gave me much more confidence in the Hairpin and Higgins although the front end was diving a bit under brakes and I wasn’t able to brake at my usual braking markers without the rear swinging around in the air!
Qualified 15th on my last lap with a 1:16.8

F1 Qualifying
Back to see RT about the front end dive which resulted in a slight adjusting of the lower clicker, compression rebound I think! And back out on the track qualifying 26th with a best lap time of 1:16.5, pretty disappointed with the grid position in both races but what can ya do!

F2 Race 1
My goal for this meet was to concentrate on the F2 races and use the F1 races as practice/experience time.
Got out on the grid after fitting my new Metzeler Slicks and pressed the “go like fuck” button, this race became a tight tussle between me Marcus, Bruce, Martin and Jason Green on a 748, I kept slowing down to much in the corner entry but had better than average drive out of the corners and down the straights, I was able to keep undertaking Marcus on the exit of Dunlop but he kept out braking me into Toyota I knew that this wouldn’t matter because I would be infront at the checkered flag if I kept doing my thing out of Dunlop, I managed to get past him again and held him off at Toyota then I was able to make a small break from the pack to come home ahead in 14th Place with a new PB of 1:15.21.

F1 Race 1
Between races I was speaking with Keri Duki and he gave me his take on what I might be doing “not so well” in the races taking his advice on board I went out gridded up and right from the start tried a couple of new things. At race end I was a placed 20th out of 31 riders but my best lap time was a 1:14.2 yes a whole second better than my previous lap time in race 1! Everyone had lifted their game to a new level in this race and the competition was fierce to say the least.

That was it for the day I went home to ponder the results and look a the race footage which consisted of a very shaky picture and a rather deperate looking Martin Billing trying pass me but to no avail (Sorry Martin, u must have been pissed).

SUNDAY
F2 Race 2
This race was very much like Race 1 with the same group fighting it out, fortunately for me, Marcus and Martin, Bruce went wide at Higgins and pushed Keelim wide so we all ducked under and got home before them Muhahahaaa I placed 12th with a 1:15.22
At this stage I don’t mind saying my goal for the weekend was to come home infront of Marcus in the F2 races, so after the second time doing this I was pretty happy with myself, these races were exiting and we were all buzzing at the end of each one.

F1 Race 2
We all got off to a good start but the race was red flagged 6 laps in I noted later that my best lap time for this restart race was a pleasing 1:14.6.
We restarted and after the tyre change Marcus had done he was flying and untouchable I placed 18th out of 29 starters with what now seemed a slow 1:16.

F2 Race 3
It seemed that there were a very competitive little bunch that I ended up dueling with all weekend, Marcus, Bruce Williams, Martin Billing, Keelim and Jason Green we all seemed to be of similar pace each of us having an advantage some where on the track only to be off set by a weakness or little mistake somewhere else.
This was a good race and I as determined to make it a hat trick against Marcus.
We launched off the grid with Marcus and Martin getting ahead out of Toyota, I stayed right up there bums going into splash and managed to overtake both of them just before the right hand kink, I was able to hold Marcus of until he overtook me going into splash the nest lap then he just disappeared it was amazing how quick he was there was nothing I could do but concentrate on holding off Martin who also eventually got past me and he too just disappeared!
I was a bit disappointed about my performance in this race I think at that stage of the day I was really tired and my rear tyre had started to overheat and get really loose engine braking into corners. I placed 15th out of 28 riders with a best lap time of 1:15.5.

F1 Race 3
At the end of the Supersport race I decided that I was too tired, making too many mistakes and my rear tyre was too far gone to compete.
After getting Choppa to check out my rear tyre we decided to turn it around and I went out just to get some points.
I started the race really well and was on the pace behind Marcus for a few laps then the fatigue started to effect me, I felt the front let go at Toyota and again at Higgins and should of backed off, instead I kept pushing it.
Coming into splash Keelim and Bryce overtook me and I pushed hard out of splash and leaned the bike over and pinned it hoping to get good drive out of the right hander, the front failed and I just remember tumbling and thinking don’t fight it just keep rolling till you stop.
When I got up I saw bike debris everywhere, I just got over to the safety area as quick as I could in shock at what had just happened.
Later a few people said the syncronised tumbling of bike a rider looked quite spectacular!.

Maaaaaaaaaaate!!!

Awesome battles we had prior to my tires being changed and your big woopsie! I was pretty suprised coming around the next lap to see your bikes destinctive ginger bellypan lying in the middle of the grass...you seemed so smooth and doing it easy! You have come such a long way this year bro...all that practice is paying off and your spill is just one of those 'shit happens' moments. I was pretty happy getting away from yet another round with no extra scratches on my bike or myself. Your all good tho so thats the main thing...bikes can be repaired quicker than bones....especially old ones like the ones you have;)

now...wheres that footage?:whistle:

Biggles.

driftn
2nd October 2009, 07:02
Sounds like you had a good day.... well until the last race any way.
Its funny when you set a good time then go back to a still reasonable time but it feels slow.
Wont be long untill you hit the 13's the way your going mate.
Hope you get sorted for the next round.

Frenchy
2nd October 2009, 07:40
well done mate and good luck with the repairs, if Drew hadn't converted his bike between the trees then this would of been the most spectacular crash I'd seen this year but i'm sorry you fall second to Drew. I'm glad your ok and hope you make it to the next round! :)

slowpoke
2nd October 2009, 09:59
Talk about tunnel vision, I didn't even see you or your bike until the warm down lap....and your posture on the tyre barrier said it all. You looked to be having some good battles from what I saw of you in the F2 races and congrats on the new PB. Welcome to Crashers R Us! (there was quite a membership drive on the weekend so we aren't alone mate)

NinjaBoy
5th October 2009, 19:20
Congrats on the new PB's. Bad Luck about the crash but let's hope it comes together for Round 6...

DVS 69
9th October 2009, 13:29
What a fantastic report man, you are doing farking well leaps and bounds !!!:niceone: