PDA

View Full Version : Tyre price Survey.

swanman
13th April 2005, 17:56
As I have loads of spare time and I needed a new rear tyre I have spent the afternoon going round tyre suppliers looking for the best deal. Very interesting results. Basically I was in the market for a 190/50 Pirelli Diablo Corsa or Diablo.

Here are the results in the order that I got them:

1. Cycle spot, corsa $380, diablo $360
2. Holeshot, corsa $345, diablo $319
3. Motohaus, corsa $380, diablo $350
4. Red Baron don't do Pirelli.
5. Coleman's, corsa $465!!, diablo ? (360+)
6. Haldanes, corsa $ 599 (couldn't give me discounted price as boss was away). Diablo ?
7. Mt Eden M/c's Corsa $370, diablo $330
8. Cycletreads, Corsa $371, diablo $290

I got the diablo from cycle treads.

Interesting different levels of service. Cyclespot sales guys nearly had an argument with each other over the prices. Holeshot was ok. Coleman's was ok but their prices silly. Haldanes were ok, but they may have lost a customer because the boss was out. Motohaus one guy talks to you as if you're stupid the other guy is fine. Mt eden m/c were pretty freindly. Cycletreads were surprised at the prices I had from Holeshot as they could not match the Corsa price even after discount (they first quoted me over $400), still I negotiated on price for diablo and got it down to $298, then he only charged me $290, plus I got a cup of tee, freindly bunch too! They did the tyre there and then.

Conclusion: there is a big variance in the prices you pay for the same tyres! From $599 to $465 to $345 for example. Also the above prices were only gained in some instances when I haggled the price, often I was quoted over $50 above the final price. So all in all I recommend Cycle treads and holeshot, but go there knowing what you want and how much a tyre is worth so you can negotiate the price. Maybe just got to Barry's point road and get competing quotes from the 3 places in that road to save you going too far.

PS Some of the above prices maybe slightly out as I am doing this from memory.

bugjuice
13th April 2005, 18:06
my battlaxe I got for 275 on special from Rowes in Avondalé after shopping around. at least 50 bucks cheaper than the next best place..
Just shows, if you have an idea of what you're after, it pays to shop around a bit
So have you got a new tyre on there now? Was getting a bit of a slick on the back there..

swanman
13th April 2005, 18:10
my battlaxe I got for 275 on special from Rowes in Avondalé after shopping around. at least 50 bucks cheaper than the next best place..
Just shows, if you have an idea of what you're after, it pays to shop around a bit
So have you got a new tyre on there now? Was getting a bit of a slick on the back there..

Yep she's new. Already feel the difference as the profile is much rounder. When they took the old tyre off it was so flat it would stand unsupported! I think this is going to be a very good tyre. Wonder if it will wheelie as well?

StoneChucker
13th April 2005, 19:20
Oh, so you get Pirellis in Diablo's, Diablo Corsa's AND Diable Super Corsas? I thought it was just the last two...

Either way, I think you'll be more than happier with the Pirelli Diablo range.

Might put a Diablo Super Duper Corsa on the back for the next track day. [pt]

swanman
13th April 2005, 20:08
Oh, so you get Pirellis in Diablo's, Diablo Corsa's AND Diable Super Corsas? I thought it was just the last two...

Either way, I think you'll be more than happier with the Pirelli Diablo range.

Might put a Diablo Super Duper Corsa on the back for the next track day. [pt]

Yes there are 3 tyres in the Diablo range. Basicaly i was looking for the most road orientated tyre. Apparently the other 2 find it hard to get up to temperature on the road. Much like the OE 218 that came with the bike.

Zapf
13th April 2005, 20:23
As I have loads of spare time and I needed a new rear tyre I have spent the afternoon going round tyre suppliers looking for the best deal. Very interesting results. Basically I was in the market for a 190/50 Pirelli Diablo Corsa or Diablo.

Here are the results in the order that I got them:

1. Cycle spot, corsa $380, diablo $360
2. Holeshot, corsa $345, diablo $319
3. Motohaus, corsa $380, diablo $350
4. Red Baron don't do Pirelli.
5. Coleman's, corsa $465!!, diablo ? (360+)
6. Haldanes, corsa $ 599 (couldn't give me discounted price as boss was away). Diablo ?
7. Mt Eden M/c's Corsa $370, diablo $330
8. Cycletreads, Corsa $371, diablo $290

I got the diablo from cycle treads.

Interesting different levels of service. Cyclespot sales guys nearly had an argument with each other over the prices. Holeshot was ok. Coleman's was ok but their prices silly. Haldanes were ok, but they may have lost a customer because the boss was out. Motohaus one guy talks to you as if you're stupid the other guy is fine. Mt eden m/c were pretty freindly. Cycletreads were surprised at the prices I had from Holeshot as they could not match the Corsa price even after discount (they first quoted me over $400), still I negotiated on price for diablo and got it down to $298, then he only charged me $290, plus I got a cup of tee, freindly bunch too! They did the tyre there and then.

Conclusion: there is a big variance in the prices you pay for the same tyres! From $599 to $465 to $345 for example. Also the above prices were only gained in some instances when I haggled the price, often I was quoted over $50 above the final price. So all in all I recommend Cycle treads and holeshot, but go there knowing what you want and how much a tyre is worth so you can negotiate the price. Maybe just got to Barry's point road and get competing quotes from the 3 places in that road to save you going too far.

PS Some of the above prices maybe slightly out as I am doing this from memory.

You wonder why Haldanes lost me as a K5 customer :shifty: but they do run a damm good service department thou. So I am going to them for the service even I didn't buy the bike there.

StoneChucker
13th April 2005, 20:29
Yes there are 3 tyres in the Diablo range. Basicaly i was looking for the most road orientated tyre. Apparently the other 2 find it hard to get up to temperature on the road. Much like the OE 218 that came with the bike.
Exactly mate... I was AMAZED at how, all of a sudden around lape two or 3 into a session of the track day, the tires suddenly felt like super glue, inspiring confidence which I have NONE of on the road.

The reciprocal of that is that when cold, they felt really loose and like they would let go if I pushed it past a certain point. I find that scary since they don't reach proper temp. on the road, where at times I try pushing myself...

VTWIN said that tires have amazing technology put into them, and they need to be trusted. Something I shall do more of on the next KB track day.

Blackbird
13th April 2005, 20:38
Bought a set of Avon Azaro "B" spec (the high rating ones) from Road and Sport Hamilton yesterday. The total including balancing was $537.

Although I'm a Honda man, I always support R&S for accessories and tyres because their service is outstanding.

Geoff

MikeL
13th April 2005, 20:39
I just got a new Diablo from Mt Eden for my XJR. It was a 180/55 and cost me $300. They also did a WOF for $25. Cycletreads might have been cheaper, but I can't be bothered taking the bike over to the shore just to save a few bucks...

bugjuice
13th April 2005, 23:28
I just got a new Diablo from Mt Eden for my XJR. It was a 180/55 and cost me $300. They also did a WOF for $25. Cycletreads might have been cheaper, but I can't be bothered taking the bike over to the shore just to save a few bucks...
When I was replacing my 180/55, I called a few places, 300 bucks is about right, most places had heaps to choose from for that price. It's just that I was after something specific, and managed to find it on special too. I also called Mt Eden and got the same price..

Krusti
14th April 2005, 06:01
Although I'm a Honda man, I always support R&S for accessories and tyres because their service is outstanding.

Geoff

Would have to agree with ya there Blackbird. I have been very impressed with R&S.

Ya didn't go to Robin for ya tyres then? :killingme

SPman
14th April 2005, 06:44
120x17 Diablo Corsa and 160 x 17 Diablo for the RF400 - $500 from Mt Eden through Mike, $530 through Chris! ??
Metz Z6 Haldanes - $630 for the pr.! Also think I was finding the limits for the front Z6 at the track - on the last coupla laps was getting the front tyre "walking" on the tread in the esses past the pits!

Lou Girardin
14th April 2005, 09:55
Prices depend on whether a shop is an official stockist or not.
At AMPS, we can't buy Pirelli for the price Haldanes retails them for.
But we can do a much better deal on Metz's.

JohnBoy
14th April 2005, 10:18
one thing i have been really surprised about is that some towns are cheaper that others, i have found that palmerston north to be the cheapest with hamilton a close second, New plymouth third and then wellington and auckland.
what makes it better is that some places (ie Hamilton M/C) dont charge fitting if you buy tyres through them.

swanman
14th April 2005, 11:57
Exactly mate... I was AMAZED at how, all of a sudden around lape two or 3 into a session of the track day, the tires suddenly felt like super glue, inspiring confidence which I have NONE of on the road.

The reciprocal of that is that when cold, they felt really loose and like they would let go if I pushed it past a certain point. I find that scary since they don't reach proper temp. on the road, where at times I try pushing myself...

VTWIN said that tires have amazing technology put into them, and they need to be trusted. Something I shall do more of on the next KB track day.

Yes very true. The original 218's were very dodgy. Getting the right heat into the tyre is crucial. The high end sports tyres like the 218 and diablo super corsa just don't get up to temp on the roads, unless it is a hot day and you have been caning it. Also once you get off the pace they loose their heat quickly too. And importantly in the wet they never get to temp ever which is when you need it most. My second rear tyre was a cheepy, Shinto. It had more grip than the 218 on the roads judging by the number of slides I had.

swanman
14th April 2005, 12:09
My last concern is this. Why do you have to haggle over tyres? This negotiation thing annoys me as it seems that bike shops are willing to rip you off unless you know exactly how much the item is worth.

It has always been my experience throughout the world that from tyres to accessories, to the actual bikes themselves the price you see on the ticket is rarely the price you often pay. This suggests to me a lack of respect for the customer, and a trap for the unwary biker who may be taken advantage of. If I go to the wharehouse I don't haggle the price of a CD or in the supermarket I don't quibble the price of a loaf of bread etc etc...And finally why is it when you take your bike in for work to be done you are nearly always surprised by the cost? (Occasional exception granted). Just seems to me there is still a kind of suspicion or a sense of mistrust between biker and bike shop.

White trash
14th April 2005, 17:14
Good comparo Swanman, excellent to see people doing their homework on a subject.

Quick question: What inspired you to choose Pirelli above the other manufacturers?

Coldkiwi
14th April 2005, 17:23

last time I saw a pirelli brochure it went like this
Road use- diablo
fast road use - diablo corsa
Track use and fast road use - Dragon Supercorsa SC3
race and Track use Dragon Supercorsa SC2
Race use Dragon Supercorsa SC1

mind you, they all work to some degree in all conditions but diablos will probably overheat and disintegrate a little on the track and sc1 supercorsas are a bit of a slimy dog on wet roads in the winter (still better than other road tyres i've tried tho!)

swanman
14th April 2005, 18:01
Good comparo Swanman, excellent to see people doing their homework on a subject.

Quick question: What inspired you to choose Pirelli above the other manufacturers?
Fair question. Basicaly they have a good rep. Also it is not going to put off a potential buyer (I am selling it). If it wasn't Pirelli, I probably would have tried bridgestone, as I had them on my zx-9 and they gripped well.

P.S. I really admired your riding on the track day, you are some quick dude. Remember next time you're up this way wheelie practice time.

Zed
14th April 2005, 18:20
I got the diablo from cycle treads.Thanks for the comparative info Fraser, saved me a bit of research and running around. I had a Diablo 180/55/17 fitted to my Bird at Cycletreads tonight on the way home from work. Great service, etc, etc.

PS Some of the above prices maybe slightly out as I am doing this from memory.Yeah your memory is shot man, you were more than slightly out on the pricing - I was gutted that I had to pay over 400 bucks!! jk :msn-wink: .

swanman
15th April 2005, 09:22
Thanks for the comparative info Fraser, saved me a bit of research and running around. I had a Diablo 180/55/17 fitted to my Bird at Cycletreads tonight on the way home from work. Great service, etc, etc.

Yeah your memory is shot man, you were more than slightly out on the pricing - I was gutted that I had to pay over 400 bucks!! jk :msn-wink: .

So what did you really pay?

Zed
15th April 2005, 10:13
So what did you really pay?Just 10 bucks more than you! But you had the leverage of comparing quotes from other shops you had received that day...I just came in behind you and told them that a guy I knew had come in and got a great deal on a Diablo and that I wanted one too! :cool:

swanman
15th April 2005, 11:14
Just had a call from Haldanes, and they say that they could match the $290 for the diablo but not the corsa price from Holeshot. Took 2 days for them to get back to me.

andy1
15th April 2005, 14:33
price depends on if u take the bike in or just the rims :msn-wink:

Cost me for Set metz(racetech&rennesport).. $450.

750Y
26th April 2005, 06:27
that is all great guys but come on! support your fellow KB-ers. I get my tyres from WMCC & they are very sharp on the prices as well as being quick to courier them at really reasonable rates. Don't be too quick to forget the cool stuff them guys have done like when they had the prizes etc they gave out free last year to kb-ers in support of a kb event. ring trashman, he'll sort you out...

Kwaka-Kid
26th April 2005, 21:25
What Lou said, Price varies depending on if they are a stockist or not, and what they spend with their wholesaler.... then as for where the shop is located... Nationwide has the perilli franchise (sole?) and are based in Hamilton... therefore freight per tyre in hamilton is only a local ticket.. to get it to auckland you are looking @ a shorthaul... to get it to wellington your looking @ longhaul, more costs as you move up the ranks, and more restriction as to weight/size, so more often then not could be sent with a slow 2-3day courier service. Then if you just take rims in bare, or with old tyres on, or whole bike in, All things to affect end user price...

But nice homework there swannman... cheers for that.

I personally have used Rowes tyres in the past, as they reflect a $35 discount just for taking your rims in (with old rubber) Whereas have asked @ Mt Eden and have been told it wont make a difference to their price... yet rowes still ended up some $25 cheaper for a Perilli Sport Demon which was only like $178..

TonyB
27th April 2005, 08:20
Bah! I've got you all beat: Pirelli MTR24 DRAGON GTS rear for 2 dozen Heineken fitted to my wheel.