PDA

View Full Version : My experience with the GN250

Thani-B
4th October 2009, 19:09
Mixed review of the 2004 GN250E, and my riding experience.
Edited version was printed in this month's Motorcycle Trader.

The first time I saw it, I thought it was perfect. I’d only ever been a pillion on bikes, and the prospect of having my own was very exciting. This particular bike that I was looking at was the 2004 GN250E. With roughly 6000kms on the clock. The price was right, the size was right, and it was even the right colour (black). So that afternoon, I bought my first bike. A few days later, a family friend dropped it off at my house. I stood there watching as they unloaded it off the back of the ute, anticipation growing. I couldn’t wait to go for my first ride.

After being shown the basic controls and buttons on the bike, I rode it up and down the driveway a few times, getting a feel for it. The next step was to gear up and off I went, on to the road for the first time. It was a daunting thought, here I was, cruising along at about 70km/h, with only my riding gear for protection. For someone that had spent most of the past few years in a car, suddenly having no seatbelt was a little bit scary. But the freedom, the bright shining sun, my hair flowing out of the back of the helmet, this new experience was like no other.

A minor incident, involving target fixation, a fence post, and a passing local fireman, was my first mishap. But after the footbrake was replaced, I didn’t have any further problems with my riding or the motorcycle. I began to ride regularly. I would do a commute of roughly 140kms per day, 2 or 3 times a week to go to University in Auckland. This, of course, meant lane-splitting. While I was still on my learners, it was something I tried to avoid, and I just followed along with the cars. However, it soon became apparent that bikes aren’t really made to sit in traffic moving along at 10km/h, and so I had to make myself do it. And it handled it well. Eventually it became a second nature. As did riding itself.

Leaning in corners, counter-steering, emergency braking. All are things that had to be learnt and practised but the GN could do all efficiently once one found out how it handled. The GN250, to me, is the perfect learner bike. It’s a very forgiving bike. The seat height of the bike, the upright riding position, and the light weight, make it an easy bike to manoeuvre, both while on and off it. I’m not the tallest person. I stand about 5’2”, so the low seat height of the GN was just right for someone my size. It made it easy to learn the basics of riding, and helped to get confidence up before attempting to ride a different bike.

I have a friend who has a ZXR250. He’s a slightly vertically challenged person as well, and he seemed to struggle with the size of his bike on some occasions. After a 20 minute ride on his bike, I was definitely glad I opted for a ginny as my first bike. His was a lot more powerful, yes, but on a learner licence you are only meant to go 70km/h anyway, so I don’t think it is really needed. In saying that, I did see what I could get out of the GN. Let’s just say, top of about 140km/h down the Bombay Hills. Frightening ride that was. Never again.

I’ve owned my GN for about 19 months now. A bit too long in my opinion, but it has served me well. In that time, I’ve replaced the chain, sprockets, tyres, front brake, and added heated handgrips. Without breaking the bank. It performed well for my restricted and full licence tests. It’s carried me 14,000kms, and has taken me south to Cold Kiwi in Waiouru and back for its longest trip. Now, I think I have outgrown it, and am looking to upgrade, but to all who are unsure of what bike to get for their first, or who are slightly nervous at the idea of a motorcycle, I would definitely recommend a GN250. It will not let you down.

caseye
4th October 2009, 19:15
Nikce work Thani.
And you ride great, no if's buts, or, for a girl.

PirateJafa
4th October 2009, 19:26
They get a lot of flack here on KB. But for their purpose, they're pretty good at what they do. :niceone:

Good write-up!

paddy
4th October 2009, 19:47
Great write-up Thani. I lived an breathed write-ups (or I suppose, more accurately: read-ups) when I was heading towards buying my first bike. I still enjoy reading them now.

paddy
4th October 2009, 19:59
They get a lot of flack here on KB.

Why is that (if you have any idea) out of curiosity? I think that takes away from the forum not adds to it. I mean, if you read advrider in the States, it has lots of ride reports and really useful information. Sometimes KB can be a bit more like a bunch of folk yelling at each other. (That's not to demean the really useful stuff that's here as well though.)

PirateJafa
4th October 2009, 20:00
Why is that (if you have any idea) out of curiosity? I think that takes away from the forum not adds to it. I mean, if you read advrider in the States, it has lots of ride reports and really useful information. Sometimes KB can be a bit more like a bunch of folk yelling at each other. (That's not to demean the really useful stuff that's here as well though.)

I blame the space gophers.

DidJit
4th October 2009, 20:57
Nice one, Thani! :niceone:

Trudes
5th October 2009, 08:15
Good write up Thani.
I had a FXR when I started riding, but just couldn't get used to it so gave up for a few years then got a GN and it boosted my confidence on the road and in riding in general.
The little GNs are great learner bikes for those who are a little unsure or unsteady, not so much for young guys who just want to pose or go fast, but a good step to getting confidence and skills before moving on to something bigger and faster.
Unfortunately I think their build quality in the last few years may be what lets them down a little, I've heard of the newer ones rusting like buggery after a few months and you have to change the stock tyres. Otherwise, GO the GN!!!!:scooter:

Sheba
5th October 2009, 11:57
Thanks for that write up. I'm at the very beginning of this journey, not even having done my BHS yet. But thinking about what type of bike to get in the future, being partial to KLS. But have heard elsewhere the GN is a good place to start.

You mentioned though being 5'2" and that being ideal for this starter bike. I would love one that is forgiving for a new rider like I will be, but being around 5'8" or so, would that pose a problem for this bike, or make it less comfortable for someone of my height? Does anyone know?

huff3r
5th October 2009, 13:46
Thanks for that write up. I'm at the very beginning of this journey, not even having done my BHS yet. But thinking about what type of bike to get in the future, being partial to KLS. But have heard elsewhere the GN is a good place to start.

You mentioned though being 5'2" and that being ideal for this starter bike. I would love one that is forgiving for a new rider like I will be, but being around 5'8" or so, would that pose a problem for this bike, or make it less comfortable for someone of my height? Does anyone know?

I am 6'3" and dont find it too uncomfortable, i'm sure theres better out there for taller people but i'm fine with it for now..

NOWOOL
5th October 2009, 16:38
for the purpose and the money there is nothing that can beat a GN.

carver
5th October 2009, 19:13
GN's are shiot, get a mudbug!

good review BTW

howdamnhard
7th October 2009, 16:41

Being taller is not really a problem, unless of course you are exceptionally tall 6'4" plus and the bike is very small. I'm 6'1" and did sit a little back on the GN but you at 5'8" will be fine.

howdamnhard
7th October 2009, 16:46
Very good review, Thani . What was really good about it was that it was written from the perspective of a learner and thus is very relevant to other prospective learners who may face the same challenges as you. Welldone:2thumbsup . GN is a great learner come cheap commuter.

magicmonkey
9th October 2009, 07:19
Being taller is not really a problem, unless of course you are exceptionally tall 6'4" plus and the bike is very small. I'm 6'1" and did sit a little back on the GN but you at 5'8" will be fine.

I'm 6'4" and got a GN the other day, I thought it would be uncomfortable bit it's actually a really nice riding position (not that I've got any experience with other bikes to compare it with but it's comfortable enough for at least a couple of hours which is good enough for me)

howdamnhard
9th October 2009, 11:01
I'm 6'4" and got a GN the other day, I thought it would be uncomfortable bit it's actually a really nice riding position (not that I've got any experience with other bikes to compare it with but it's comfortable enough for at least a couple of hours which is good enough for me)

Excellent , just means you sit further back along the seat if you are taller. Less room for a pillion then , though having said that the wifey was fine when I took her for a spin.

dell_boy
22nd November 2009, 16:18
Good on you. I started on a GN250 and now ride a 2007 er6n - enjoy!

Tank
22nd November 2009, 19:04
Great review - and congrats on the new bike - Saw it today in Misision Bay and it looked A-W-E-S-O-M-E !

Thani-B
22nd November 2009, 19:16
Great review - and congrats on the new bike - Saw it today in Misision Bay and it looked A-W-E-S-O-M-E !

Hey thanks! Im stoked. So happy having a new bike. Cant wait till I have some time to get some decent riding on it.

NOWOOL
25th May 2010, 14:56
Ashame that Suzuki has 'reincarnated' the GN but only in 125 form; would have cost the same to do it as a 250. Used to be the 125 version was $1000 cheaper!

Blinkwing
25th May 2010, 17:28
I learnt how to ride on a GN125 :D

Was considering buying the GN250, but I saw the VL250 and I knew I had to have it.

Brilliant bikes to learn on.