PDA

View Full Version : Insurance

FEINT
14th April 2005, 10:41
I did a search on the forum for insurance. Couldn't find what I am after.

I saw some insurance stuff for smaller bikes, but I am wondering where do the bigger bikes go for insurance?
Do you also include your gear in the insured sum?
And the big question is, How much do you pay?

Thanks.

Quasievil
14th April 2005, 10:47
I PAy $700.00 with classic cover, including track day cover.
No cover for timed events or racing.
Its all good, Im an old prick tho so prolly get a good rate

James Deuce
14th April 2005, 10:48
Classic Cover

Gear is covered (and listed separately) on Home & Contents.

New bike is about $48 per month I think.

flyin
14th April 2005, 10:53
I found National auto club were the only people who wanted to give me - a young male on ma learners - full insurance for a decent price.(easy under $500) (i'd had companies turning me away cos ive got a JMCA exhaust!!!) I'm thinkin my helmets covered, gotta check on that tho....

gear is separate on home and contents,

pyrocam
14th April 2005, 10:55
just call for quotes. they take 10m and are free. I recommend National auto (www.natauto.co.nz)

AA do have a classic/vintage bike policy thats very comprehensive but maybe a bit more. 0800 500 213

Nearly all policies wont cover you for 'sporting' purposes or racing unless its specifically noted on your policy.

do an advanced search with 'insurance' in the title only
(this might work http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/search.php?searchid=310529)

otherwise here is some other threads for you:
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=9585&highlight=insurance

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=9788&highlight=insurance

FEINT
14th April 2005, 11:04
I PAy $700.00 with classic cover, including track day cover.
No cover for timed events or racing.
Its all good, Im an old prick tho so prolly get a good rate

Who are you insured with?

I found National auto club were the only people who wanted to give me - a young male on ma learners - full insurance for a decent price.(easy under $500) (i'd had companies turning me away cos ive got a JMCA exhaust!!!) I'm thinkin my helmets covered, gotta check on that tho....

gear is separate on home and contents,

I just got a quote from National Auto Club (online quote) and it is $2300.00.... :angry2: :angry2: ???????

Will have to put my gear under the house and content.

------------------------- EDIT

after telling them I have 40% NCB, it is now $1879.00!! wow, expensive huh. :angry2: and a $4000 burglary / theft excess.... ouch.

sAsLEX
14th April 2005, 11:33
wow, expensive huh. :angry2: and a $4000 burglary / theft excess.... ouch.

this is what i dont understand, how come the excess for something you have no control over is so ridiculously high!? Why are we forced on to such high premiums only to be stung with more bloody outrageous costs when our pride and joy is nicked!?

bugjuice
14th April 2005, 12:44
I'm with State - Full cover was a shade under $1000 for the year, which also covers track days, break down etc etc.

My gear is covered under house content insurance. Ironically, not many (if any) insurerererererrs will cover gear under your bike insurance, which is stupid. I've heard some are reviewing their policy, but not sure which.

Really pays to shop around. For me State were almost the cheapest, but I already had content and car insurance with them too, so it made it easier, plus I gots me flybuys too. After this full year, I might shop around a bit for another, see what I can save.

Also ask what excess they will charge you too. Might be cheap on insurance, but the excess might be bloody stupid

pyrocam
14th April 2005, 15:35
I'm with State - Full cover was a shade under $1000 for the year, which also covers track days, break down etc etc.

My gear is covered under house content insurance. Ironically, not many (if any) insurerererererrs will cover gear under your bike insurance, which is stupid. I've heard some are reviewing their policy, but not sure which.

Really pays to shop around. For me State were almost the cheapest, but I already had content and car insurance with them too, so it made it easier, plus I gots me flybuys too. After this full year, I might shop around a bit for another, see what I can save.

Also ask what excess they will charge you too. Might be cheap on insurance, but the excess might be bloody stupid

Yeah I got my gear with state contents. I asked them explicitly and they said it would come under clothes.

which is awesome cos I own heaps of gear and im just about to buy some more. muhahah

I still say AA do the best contents policy though (they wont insure me though which is Ironic because I used to be a claims handler for them) because the have a $100 excess and full replacement on everything. no depreciation (ok cept on clothes and cosmetics etc)

Shoota
14th April 2005, 16:48
these guys give a damn good rate, worth a call anyway, i use them
http://www.jbinsurance.co.nz/newsite/motorcyc/introduction.htm

Firefight
14th April 2005, 17:01
Mine done via Honda riders club(also insure non Hondas) about NZ43.00 per month, under written by David Golightly, a bike rider :ride: broker operating on the mainland(SI) best advice seems to be shop around, plenty to choose from.

F/F :banana:

betti
14th April 2005, 18:08
kiwibike cover me, cheap, great to deal with, check em out

www.kiwibike.co.nz :niceone:

Zapf
14th April 2005, 20:23
Mine done via Honda riders club(also insure non Hondas) about NZ43.00 per month, under written by David Golightly, a bike rider :ride: broker operating on the mainland(SI) best advice seems to be shop around, plenty to choose from.

F/F :banana:

ermm... I am insured thru them too... but I am paying $980 / year!
Any idea why the great difference between a 750 and 600?

Firefight
14th April 2005, 20:30
ermm... I am insured thru them too... but I am paying $980 / year!
Any idea why the great difference between a 750 and 600?

F/F

N4CR
14th April 2005, 20:34
I'm with protecta at $850 a year full cover. (Self drop = 25%, Crashing into another car = 15%, Hit by someone else = 0%. Fire, theft, lizard swarms and bird infestations too. NO track cover though :( )

AA turned me down as I was A: 18 B: OMG HES GOT A KAWASAKI and C:OMG HES GOT A ZXR AND HES 18 AND MOST DEFINATELY A BOY RACER.
Took me a good 19 minutes of holding for them to tell me that :sick:

Take a good look around and see who will do you the best deal... good luck.

riffer
14th April 2005, 20:37
I had a really sweet deal with AMI due to my 60% no claims bonus, on top of being on the wrong side of 35, but due to the latest goings-on its not so good now.

I was paying $32 a month for a 1987 FZR750R insured market value, which turned out to be $5000, now $60 a month for an RF900R, insured market value as well. Who knows what that would turn out to be? Hopefully I'll never find out.

Remember, it's not always about the cheapest deal. There's a reason why some insurance companies are cheaper than others. :confused:

FEINT
14th April 2005, 21:06
Remember, it's not always about the cheapest deal. There's a reason why some insurance companies are cheaper than others. :confused:

Most companies I have spoken to will insure me, the problem is HOW MUCH. I agree the cheapest company isn't always the best company. At this moment, most of the quotes range from $1600 - $2400. Some even have an excess of $4000 if it is stolen.

My age currently is playing the big factor in the price of the premium.

Thanks alot for your input and all your comments. Look forward to seeing more!

James Deuce
14th April 2005, 21:24
Most companies I have spoken to will insure me, the problem is HOW MUCH. I agree the cheapest company isn't always the best company. At this moment, most of the quotes range from $1600 - $2400. Some even have an excess of $4000 if it is stolen.

My age currently is playing the big factor in the price of the premium.

Thanks alot for your input and all your comments. Look forward to seeing more!

Don't go with AMI. They do not cover for Theft from anywhere other than your Garage, and even then it must be connected to an eye bolt in a concrete floor by a chain (not a cable type lock). I found this out four weeks after I got the GSX600, so the previous year's worth of owning the TRX was without Theft cover at all.
I am old, with a good history of only one MV accident in 12 years.

GR81
15th April 2005, 09:30
You guys are all talking about bigger bikes... but here is what i was just quoted from NAC for my bike.
2001 Suzuki FXR150 living in AKL with a learners licence and 60% no claims at my current insurer (NZI which owns NAC)... price to insure $2200.

The value of your vehicle qualfies you for third party only, Based on the information provided it is $348.75pa Excess $1600

how bout NO!
ive found Swann Insurance to be the most reasonable so far.

Flyingpony
15th April 2005, 17:53
You guys are all talking about bigger bikes... but here is what i was just quoted from NAC for my bike.
2001 Suzuki FXR150 living in AKL with a learners licence and 60% no claims at my current insurer (NZI which owns NAC)... price to insure $2200.

The value of your vehicle qualfies you for third party only, Based on the information provided it is $348.75pa Excess $1600

how bout NO!
ive found Swann Insurance to be the most reasonable so far.

Holly cow batman. That's steep! Especially for 3rd party.
I could nearly fully insure two bikes for that down here in Chch.

Tried AMI? They accept learner licence for bikes, AA & State don't.

magnum
15th April 2005, 19:28
i thought ami were ok at $800/year but have changed to vero thru david golightly for$450 and they cover me on honda riders track days,yeehar. :2thumbsup

GR81
15th April 2005, 19:31
Holly cow batman. That's steep! Especially for 3rd party.
I could nearly fully insure two bikes for that down here in Chch.

Tried AMI? They accept learner licence for bikes, AA & State don't.
Even tho i had insurance for a bike with AMI about 5 years ago, they refuse to insure me now unless i have house & house/contents with them also. For me, no house = no insurance with AMI

FEINT
16th April 2005, 10:02
Thanks alot for the replies guys. I just needed to know approximately how much you all pay and which company insures most of you. :niceone: :niceone:

Most quotes I have is approximately around $1500-$1800.

Zapf
16th April 2005, 12:11
I'm with protecta at $850 a year full cover. (Self drop = 25%, Crashing into another car = 15%, Hit by someone else = 0%. Fire, theft, lizard swarms and bird infestations too. NO track cover though :( )

AA turned me down as I was A: 18 B: OMG HES GOT A KAWASAKI and C:OMG HES GOT A ZXR AND HES 18 AND MOST DEFINATELY A BOY RACER.
Took me a good 19 minutes of holding for them to tell me that :sick:

Take a good look around and see who will do you the best deal... good luck.

yea AA sucks... they won't insure me for a New 1.3L Honda Jazz for $18000 2 years ago. And I have had 400hp Skylines for like 5 years.... crazy..

Zapf
16th April 2005, 12:13
Thanks alot for the replies guys. I just needed to know approximately how much you all pay and which company insures most of you. :niceone: :niceone:

Join the HRC and you'll get a much better quote.

sAsLEX
16th April 2005, 12:47

i was 19 when i had my cbr and it was around $600 through swann,

FEINT
17th April 2005, 11:39
Join the HRC and you'll get a much better quote.

I am waiting for their application form to arrive. Cheers.!!