PDA

View Full Version : Heidenau K65 Tyre Review

Racey Rider
5th October 2009, 19:52
At the last Vic club round I Tested the German Heidenau K65.
A tube type Race compound tyre in a 3.00 - 18" size. (90/90/18")
RRP$235 Available from Northwest Motorcycles (http://www.northwest.co.nz/index.php?main_page=contact_us&zenid=o878th2n2cq0dnjub7freggij5) - New Plymouth

The tyre tested had a front tread groove along the center of the circumference. This in not uncommon when fitting rear rubber to the smaller capacity bikes with 18" rear wheels. There are generous tread grooves to the edge of the profile suggesting plenty of water removing qualities, and quick warm-up from cold. Tread depth was 4.5mm.

Fitted to the rear a my Kawasaki KR150a, this K65 did everything just as well as the Dunlop TT900 I had been used to - and preformed much better than the Michelin Pilot Sporty I tested last month. The Heidenau heated up well from the 26psi cold pressure setting used on my little two stroke, and on the dry Manfield race track at 15 degrees air temp on a sunny afternoon - finished the race at 31psi, balling up nicely in the process. (I will raise cold pressure to 27psi under those conditions next time to gain just a 4 degree pressure rise.)

Tyre in this pic has done 246kms - half road, then half race.
I will update this review after I get a chance to test it racing in the wet. But have a lot of confidence in the Heidenau K65 so far.

quallman1234
9th October 2009, 16:37
Interesting choice of tire, good too see it worked pretty good.

I agree the Michellen sporty is not a very good tire for a smaller capacity bike. I have one on my road RG150 and its not bad but not good.