PDA

View Full Version : Shiver on Conti Motions -- first impressions

Hitcher
6th October 2009, 19:38
There's something exciting about buying new tyres, particularly when you've decided to try something different. It's like having a new toy to play with.

Even when replacing tyres with ones the same as the previous set, your bike always goes better, handles sharper, that je ne sais quoi that only a new set of tyres has.

Today, after an estimated riding distance of 23,500km, my Shiver got its third set of tyres.

It was delivered with Dunlop Qualifiers (120/70 17 front and 180/55 17 rear). Despite the feedback from Shiver owners on www.apriliaforum.com, I quite liked these. They had good wet/dry characteristics, warmed up well, were neutral handling and nicely grippy. I got about 8,500km out of them, and would have got maybe another 1,500km if not for a catastrophic rear puncture and the subsequent 60km dead flat ride for a replacement.

Gisborne is a typical provincial town. Its bike shops sell lots of quads and off road bikes. Fortunately the local Kawasaki dealer had a set of Avon Storms in the right size, which was just as well as I don't think the Shiver's on-road handling would have appreciated a set of knobblies. Having run several sets of Storms on my FJR1300T and Mrs H having run several sets on her Bandit 650, they were a tyre we were well familiar with.

The Shiver loved them. 15,000km travelled and the rear probably had another 1,500km left on it. The front hardly looked worn. But with some big riding coming up over the next few weekends, I thought it prudent to get some new shoes on. My only criticism of the Storms was a tendency to slightly understeer when pushed hard. Nothing dangerous, but definitely worth an extra push on the bar. The Storm is, in my opinion, the gold-standard sports touring tyre. I say that having on past bikes run them, Conti Road Attacks, Michelin Pilot Road 2s, Dunlop Roadsmarts, Metzeler Z6s, and the god-awful Bridgestone 020.

A long introduction. “What have you bought this time, Hitcher?” I hear you ask.

Today I acquired a set of Conti Motions.

Not my immediate first choice, I hasten to add. I was very interested in either the new Avon VP2s or Pirelli Angels (in that order) but the current Continental promotional price was the kicker: At $380 a set for the Contis versus $660 for the VP2s and $580 for the Angels, it was a bit of a no brainer.

So tonight after uplifting my bike I took the 75km way home – from Lower Hutt to the Paekakariki Hill Road summit and back home to Ngaio via the south side of the Pauatahanui Inlet.

The roads were cold and drying. Air temperature ranged from 8-10oC and the road surface would be about the same. Heavy rain showers earlier in the afternoon had cleared and the surface was mostly dry, apart from some sheltered corners on the hill road.

First impressions? The Motion is a very neutral tyre. Not super sharp but adequately nimble. There was no hint of understeer that the Storms sometimes demonstrated. Given that they were new tyres I didn't push them too hard but found my speed through corners picking up as I gained confidence with grippiness and road feel. They feel a bit harder than the Storms but they don't clunk over catseyes or through potholes. The Motions aren't a hot running tyre like some others I've owned, but they still feel pretty sticky. Interesting.

I am enthusiastic about how the Conti Motions will go. I've got some big rides coming up over the next short while – including the 1,609km-in-24-hours Grand Challenge. I am sure that that time will find a wide range of challenges for the new tyres. I will do a more comprehensive evaluation in a couple of months time.

Crasherfromwayback
6th October 2009, 19:43
Today, after an estimated riding distance of 23,500km, my Shiver got its third set ot tyres.

Holy shit Man...do you never sleep?

Hitcher
6th October 2009, 19:50
Holy shit Man...do you never sleep?

There's bikes to be ridden, places to go, people to see.

Hitcher
22nd October 2009, 08:12
After about 4,000km now on the Conti Motions -- including a Grand Challenge in sometimes appalling road conditions -- I will state that I don't like them.

Not enough to throw them away, but enough not to buy another set. I don't trust them when the going gets tough or even dodgy. I have never had a set of tyres that get twitchy and make the bike fishtail like the Motions. I accept that the condition of roads I've recently ridden has been suboptimal and that others I've been riding with who don't usually complain of fishtailing have also had problems, but that's still not doing much for my confidence in these tyres.

I also suspect that they won't wear well either. After a whisker over 4,000km, the righthand side of the rear is already showing signs of reverse wear.

I had similar problems with Road Attacks on my ST1300 and FJR1300 -- on both sides of the rear -- and presumed that that was a function of big torquey bikes. A Shiver is definitely not a big torquey bike. My suspicion is that this is a function of tyre compound and construction, probably exacerbated by my riding style, whatever that is.

I bought these because they were cheap, not because of any special preference. If you don't try things you don't have first-hand experience.

I suspect I shall shortly return to the solace of Storms, or perhaps a VP2 front and Storm rear.

vifferman
22nd October 2009, 08:21
After a whisker over 4,000km, the righthand side of the rear is already showing signs of reverse wear.
What (Eggs! Zachary) did you mean by this?

Hitcher
22nd October 2009, 08:26
What (Eggs! Zachary) did you mean by this?

I should take some photos to demonstrate. Basically the edges of the tread on that side of the tyre luff up, as if the tyre had been run backwards, rather than laying nice and smooth, as nature intended.

Waxxa
22nd October 2009, 08:42
great report Hitcher...I've been thinking about the Conti Motions (cost wise) but it sounds like not such a good idea.

I'm on my third set of Conti Sport attacks and I have to say they are the best tyre I've ever ridden on, just bloody expensive

Blackbird
22nd October 2009, 09:29
Nice observations Brett, very interested in seeing the photos. Also interested in your intriguing comments about the Qualifiers and must research them. They are OEM on the Street Triple but I was thinking of whacking Avons on at an early juncture.

Morcs
22nd October 2009, 11:39
There's bikes to be ridden, places to go, people to see, grammar to correct.

10 chars....

Hitcher
22nd October 2009, 12:02
Nice observations Brett, very interested in seeing the photos. Also interested in your intriguing comments about the Qualifiers and must research them. They are OEM on the Street Triple but I was thinking of whacking Avons on at an early juncture.

I really liked the Qualifiers. Some others on apriliaforum.com didn't. I reckon 9,500km would have probably run the rear fairly tidy, which isn't too bad given that Dunlop pimps these as a performance tyre. A Qualifier front with a Roadsmart rear could be an option once the Motions get the heave...

vifferman
22nd October 2009, 12:05
I should take some photos to demonstrate. Basically the edges of the tread on that side of the tyre luff up, as if the tyre had been run backwards, rather than laying nice and smooth, as nature intended.
Oh - I know what you mean. :yes:
The Mrkns call it 'cupping' or 'scalloping'. My VFRs did that to all of the front tyres, apart from the Storm. Caused them to be prematurely ejected.

Blackbird
22nd October 2009, 12:23
Like this D220 you mean? Effing awful tyre. When I first had the 'bird, I replaced the "instant slip but never wear out" Macadam 90X's with the D220 and regretted it straight away. The reason that the front went like that was that the carcass simply wasn't strong enough to support the weight of the 'bird.

Hitcher
22nd October 2009, 12:25
Like this D220 you mean?

That's what I mean. Except that in my case it's the rear that's getting all luffed up.

Blackbird
22nd October 2009, 12:39
That's what I mean. Except that in my case it's the rear that's getting all luffed up.

That's a bit worrying. I wouldn't suspect tyre pressures with your vast experience and I'm just wondering how strong the carcass construction is.

pritch
22nd October 2009, 17:31
A Qualifier front with a Roadsmart rear could be an option once the Motions get the heave...

For what it's worth, BIKE magazine really rated the Roadsmart. I posted their findings somewhere on KB.

On wet roads it's quite possible that having a Qualifier on the front could give you the exact opposite of the effect you are after but you pays yer money...

Hitcher
22nd October 2009, 19:54
I had a set of Roadsmarts on my FJR when I sold it. I rated them too.

Gremlin
22nd October 2009, 22:19
Without seeing the pic, normally (from what you're trying to describe) its a case of braking into corners, rather than powering out of corners (normal wear, per se).

I engine brake into corners a lot, and always wear my tyres in this sort of fashion... would have to get you a pic.

Blackbird
24th October 2009, 06:42
Hi Brett,

I had an email from Avon today - you might be interested in the contents - see below.

We are about to launch Storm 2 Ultra imminently, these tyres have similar technology to the VP2. They will give better wet and dry grip than the current Storm tyres and will give around 12% more mileage on the rears too.
Best regards,

Peter J McNally

M/C Technical Product Manager

Owl
25th October 2009, 06:46
I'd be interested in giving the new Storm a spin. I see they've gone multi compound now, so cheers for the info Geoff!:niceone:

KoroJ
25th October 2009, 18:35
Nothing worse than a twitchy tyre to wreck ones confidence Mr H, but not very fair to rate it on the GC conditions either. I don't believe any tyre would stick on those roads and conditions.

I managed a couple of slides on the Storms and I was totally focused on finding clean lines.

Hitcher
26th October 2009, 16:57
Hi Brett,

I had an email from Avon today - you might be interested in the contents - see below.

Thanks for that Geoff. I've got the rear Motion up to 46psi and that seems to be helping it. I'll keep them on until they wear out and then return to the solace of Storms.