PDA

View Full Version : How do you get brake pistons out

MrMelon
14th April 2005, 19:53
I've got the caliper in half but I can't pop the pistons out of one of the halves. Are there any tricks to getting them out? I've read in the manual it says to use an air compressor but I don't think I've got access to one.

Hoon
14th April 2005, 20:04
Bolt them back together, fill it up with fluid and pump them out with the brake lever. If one moves more than the others, jam something in between it or clamp it until all the pistons are nearly out.

Otherwise you will have to piss around with vice/poly grips and bits of cardboard and risk scouring your pistons.

GROOMER
14th April 2005, 20:15
If the hollow side of the piston is facing the back of the pad, you can get plier type things that open outwards...similar to circlip pliers, but they have larger "feet" i guess youd call them. With these you can grab the piston from inside the hollow, and pull/twist it out. If you really get stuck, I know where ya bike lives so can help next week :) Ruths got my # if ya need me.

MrMelon
14th April 2005, 20:22
Bolt them back together, fill it up with fluid and pump them out with the brake lever. If one moves more than the others, jam something in between it or clamp it until all the pistons are nearly out.

Otherwise you will have to piss around with vice/poly grips and bits of cardboard and risk scouring your pistons.
Yeah thought as much, I'll chuck it back together tomorrow night and pop them out.
Cheers guys.

James Deuce
14th April 2005, 20:26
I'd use a hammer and a drift, but then that is probably why I have the "deformities".

speedpro
14th April 2005, 20:49
put a rag over the piston to catch it and blow some compressed air into the fluid hole. Unless it's completely jammed it'll pop out - hence the rag, unless you've got three or four hands.

Motu
14th April 2005, 21:09
Use a lever type grease gun in the nipple - these things put out 10,000psi ,far more than anything else you'll ever find for the price.Messy...but you love working on bikes and getting your hands dirty eh?

sedge
15th April 2005, 20:49
Take your callipers down the gas station and use the free air ?

Sedge.

MrMelon
18th April 2005, 18:13
I managed to get the last piston out by hooking my bike pump up to the caliper with a piece of hose, blocking the fluid holes and pumping it till it popped out. Man those pistons can fly!

speedpro
18th April 2005, 19:04
I managed to get the last piston out by hooking my bike pump up to the caliper with a piece of hose, blocking the fluid holes and pumping it till it popped out. Man those pistons can fly!
I did mention putting a rag over the piston.

MrMelon
18th April 2005, 19:20
Oh yeah I flipped it upside down and put a rag underneath it and the piston flew into that, but it was still packing a fair punch.

NC
18th April 2005, 20:27
All by yourself?
Whoa! You're AMAZING, Glenn.

:unsure:

MrMelon
18th April 2005, 20:28
All by yourself?
Whoa! You're AMAZING, Glenn.

:unsure:
I had nc30_hands to help!

NC
18th April 2005, 20:30
I had nc30_hands to help!