PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Q?

BNZ
14th April 2005, 20:19
When I jack up my back wheel with the engine running and engage 1st gear (clutch still in) my back wheel starts spinning. Should the clutch be grabbing slightly when fully in, or should I adjust this? :confused:

Two Smoker
14th April 2005, 20:28
Perfectly normal to move very slowly...
its when it starts spinning fast you need to worry...

BNZ
15th April 2005, 10:17
Spins with a little bit of pace, but if the wheel is on the ground it doesnt have enough power to move the bike. Guess the clutch plates are just skimming.

TwoSeven
15th April 2005, 10:25
When I jack up my back wheel with the engine running and engage 1st gear (clutch still in) my back wheel starts spinning. Should the clutch be grabbing slightly when fully in, or should I adjust this? :confused:

Yeah its normally just drag from the oil on a wet clutch bike (or a slight amount of clutch drag for dry clutch). If you tap and hold the rear brake and the engine stalls from idle, then its severe clutch drag which you should fix.

BNZ
15th April 2005, 11:07
Yeah its normally just drag from the oil on a wet clutch bike (or a slight amount of clutch drag for dry clutch). If you tap and hold the rear brake and the engine stalls from idle, then its severe clutch drag which you should fix.

Thanks, that makes sense. No it doesnt stall.

bugjuice
15th April 2005, 11:23
if anything, it'd show you who well lubed your running gear is (axle, chain etc), cos if it was causing any friction and sapping power, then it wouldn't turn like that.. Mine rotates in neutral.. :bleh:

BNZ
15th April 2005, 12:08
if anything, it'd show you who well lubed your running gear is (axle, chain etc), cos if it was causing any friction and sapping power, then it wouldn't turn like that.. Mine rotates in neutral.. :bleh:

Now that is a glass half full attitude! :Punk:

TwoSeven
15th April 2005, 13:19
Thanks, that makes sense. No it doesnt stall.

I meant to say that when you check for clutch drag stall it should be clutch lever in with bike in gear.

If you have the bike in neutral it will just spin because of oil drag. If I dont want the wheel moving I just put a bar thru the wheel to hold it.

BNZ
15th April 2005, 14:04
I meant to say that when you check for clutch drag stall it should be clutch lever in with bike in gear.

If you have the bike in neutral it will just spin because of oil drag. If I dont want the wheel moving I just put a bar thru the wheel to hold it.

Doesn't do it in nuetral ( i dont think :confused: ) Just in gear with clutch engaged.

Simon A
15th April 2005, 14:39
If you tap and hold the rear brake and the engine stalls from idle, then its severe clutch drag which you should fix.

My zxr250 does this when it's cold. It's not so bad when it's warm but still sounds like the engine is under some load when it's in 1st with the clutch in.
Do you know what needs to be done to fix the problem?

TwoSeven
15th April 2005, 14:54
My zxr250 does this when it's cold. It's not so bad when it's warm but still sounds like the engine is under some load when it's in 1st with the clutch in.
Do you know what needs to be done to fix the problem?

Off the cuff I'd suggest warm the engine up first (run it til the temp guage gets to 80C - just to the start of the white line). Then try - otherwise you could be mistaking a cold idle problem with a clutch problem. :)

Also, make sure its idling properly when warm (about 1200-1350 rpm although I run mine at 1500 because its easier to see). I had a friend that put 20/50 oil in his machine ones and wondered why it wouldnt idle - it was find when he turned the idle screw up - some machines are more fussy than others.

Simon A
15th April 2005, 15:06
I'm pretty sure it's not an idle issue. When i say cold the bike has been running for a while already, it's just not hot yet.
Also when it's been sitting over night the clutch will stick, ie when you first put it in gear there is a huge clunk and it stalls, as if you have jammed it into gear with the clutch out. Only way around this is to give it a good push while in gear before starting the engine and this seems to free it up.
Sorry if i'm hi-jacking the thread :whistle:

BNZ
15th April 2005, 15:18
I'm pretty sure it's not an idle issue. When i say cold the bike has been running for a while already, it's just not hot yet.
Also when it's been sitting over night the clutch will stick, ie when you first put it in gear there is a huge clunk and it stalls, as if you have jammed it into gear with the clutch out. Only way around this is to give it a good push while in gear before starting the engine and this seems to free it up.
Sorry if i'm hi-jacking the thread :whistle:

Try adjusting the clutch - Should be able to adjust it at both the handle end and also at the gearbox end.

Simon A
15th April 2005, 15:26
Done heaps of adjustments and had a new cable put in, didn't make any difference. It only started doing this after i had the clutch plates done at Mt eden mc's.