PDA

View Full Version : Reason to ride before they drive.

Waylander
15th April 2005, 13:06
Wolf was lookin at starting a thread like this but since he can't post new threads I'm helpin him out.

"I have a friend who is wanting to convince her mum to let her get her bike licence first rather than a car licence. I've given her a few pros and cons and some counter arguments to such arguments as "too dangerous", "too wet" etc.

Any suggestions for advantages and disadvantages and arguments for and against to help out?

This is a chance to help another would-be biker."

Wolf
15th April 2005, 13:16
thanks, alucard_draken.

Waylander
15th April 2005, 13:20
No a problem mate. Just helpin out. Kinda interested in this aswell cause I have a little brother in the states and this will help comvince him to learn to ride before he comes down. Don't need to convince parrents cause one of them rides ad the other rides on the back of his or mine.:2thumbsup

Fart
15th April 2005, 13:21
My girlfriend started out riding a scooter before she learn how to drive. The only problem was, she crashed her scooter and total it. We are pleased that she is alright and not hurt.

There is a risk that inexperience riders lack the knowledge and understand of the road and can get themselves seriously hurt on a bike. While in a car you are less likely to get seriously hurt in a crash unless you are hooning it.

ManDownUnder
15th April 2005, 13:28
If she already rides a cycle the weather isn't going to be any different.

When it's cold... on a bike you get cold - in a cage you don't

When there is no parking available... on a bike you can gemnerally find something. In a car you pay plenty.

On a bike you are exposed to the dangers of the road. You can be hurt from them, but likewise you (hopefully) learn from them and it makes you a better and more considerate driver.

There is no reason why she can't go for both bike and car at the same time. While the road code is frech in mind... do 'em both... you don't have to USE 'em both surely!

Bike's cheaper to buy and cheaper to run. If it's a small one it's cheaper to insure too (3rd party and theft only, pay for it yourself if the thing gets trashed...)

Less space and inconvenience taken up parking a bike at home.

Another car means another vehicle everyone in the house can use.

Maximus
15th April 2005, 13:42
My girlfriend started out riding a scooter before she learn how to drive. The only problem was, she crashed her scooter and total it. We are pleased that she is alright and not hurt.

There is a risk that inexperience riders lack the knowledge and understand of the road and can get themselves seriously hurt on a bike. While in a car you are less likely to get seriously hurt in a crash unless you are hooning it.

"Mrs Max", has neither a car nor a bike licence, she surprised the shit outta me the other day when she asked me, "do you think I should just get a bike licence rather than a car licence". Who was I to argue with her, I just replied of course you should get your bike licence, cause YES cages are way to expensive to run etc, and YES I would love to spend more time with her, especially if it means doing something I love . . .

Then she dropped a bomb, "maybe I'll just get my learners and buy a scooter". :nono: HOW DO I CHANGE HER MIND?!!! :ride:

Wolf
15th April 2005, 13:47
Then she dropped a bomb, "maybe I'll just get my learners and buy a scooter". :nono: HOW DO I CHANGE HER MIND?!!! :ride:
Tyres too narrow to be safe, brakes seem to be an after-thought - best to get a decent-sized bike that would be safer to ride.

Maximus
15th April 2005, 13:56
Tyres too narrow to be safe, brakes seem to be an after-thought - best to get a decent-sized bike that would be safer to ride.

:niceone: :niceone: :niceone: Great idea didn't think about that, women seem to be quite "safety conscience" :msn-wink:

ManDownUnder
15th April 2005, 14:09
:niceone: :niceone: :niceone: Great idea didn't think about that, women seem to be quite "safety conscience" :msn-wink:

Bikes are more fun to ride and are safer than scooters (can get out of trouble with power, or with brakes if needed)

Maximus
15th April 2005, 14:21
Bikes are more fun to ride and are safer than scooters (can get out of trouble with power, or with brakes if needed)

Mrs M is back tonite, so I can atleast give her "the facts" should make for a convincing argument (discussion). . . . :whistle:

But really ive definately got more ammo in convincing her that a bike is better than a scooter - but we already know that! :msn-wink:

Hitcher
15th April 2005, 14:23
The hardness of the ground doesn't change with the capacity/size of motorcycle. To quote the late (great) Hunter S Thompson: "It's better to be shot out of a cannon than to be squeezed out of a tube."

R6_kid
15th April 2005, 15:32
as long as she does a decent riding course before going and getting some speed up she should be fun. I rode a vespa 150 for about 6mths, could only just touch 100kmh and i was to scared that if i tried to go fast round corners it would let slip (common sense keeps you safe)

then i got my 250 and shat my pants when i was doing 50-80-100km without even trying. Rode it for a day and then went to a BRONZ course. You need to do something like that to get used to handling and also emergency braking and steering. I know for a fact that its saved my bacon a lot times (i.e on my way home before writing this)

Biking opens up a new world of people, experience, and wisdom. The only problem is other motorists in most cases.

ManDownUnder
15th April 2005, 15:35
...Rode it for a day and then went to a BRONZ course. You need to do something like that to get used to handling and also emergency braking and steering. I know for a fact that its saved my bacon a lot times (i.e on my way home before writing this)

Yup - did a defensive riding course years (and years) ago... and it was the best thing I could have done.

Slow races were the fun ones. Go from "a" to "b", no touching the ground, no doubling back, using brakes, clutch and throttle... last one (yup LAST) one there wins...

it was funny to watch but taught you how to do everything at once, in a good safe space

Waylander
15th April 2005, 15:58
as long as she does a decent riding course before going and getting some speed up she should be fun. I rode a vespa 150 for about 6mths, could only just touch 100kmh and i was to scared that if i tried to go fast round corners it would let slip (common sense keeps you safe)

then i got my 250 and shat my pants when i was doing 50-80-100km without even trying. Rode it for a day and then went to a BRONZ course. You need to do something like that to get used to handling and also emergency braking and steering. I know for a fact that its saved my bacon a lot times (i.e on my way home before writing this)

Biking opens up a new world of people, experience, and wisdom. The only problem is other motorists in most cases.
Hows this for that sixth sense thing and fits into this thread here kinda. Was driving around town to turn in some CV's and I was on Anglesea street near the big construction area, just east of it, and I see a brown car parked on the side of the road. Something tells me to slow down and sure enough the bitch pulled out in front of me, I change lanes so I am now in the left lane with her in the right. My front bumber even with her back and she decides to pull a u-turn. FROM THE LEFT LANE!!!!! I slam the breaks and procede to yell and curse at her. After she gets faced the other way she finnaly sees me and acts all surprised. Was in a hury so I just flipped her off and moved on. All this and I was in a CAR!!!! If I didn't ride bikes I probably wouldn't have noticed this and would not have slowed down so that even if I avoided her puling out in front of me I would have t-boned her. Use that as a reason Wolf.

Gremlin
16th April 2005, 00:20
As ManDownUnder mentioned, it would kinda make a difference if you have ridden a bicycle. You get used to the weather, and you also tend to develop the mystical "sixth sense" (if you regularly go fast enough :ride: )

I haven't got any licenses yet (yeah, I'm a slacker) and I decided to get the motorbike one for several reasons:
- idea of a bike being cheaper than a car (quality wise - could get a shit car, but it ain't safe)
- bikes being cheaper to run (gas, tyres service etc) which may not be true, but does sort of relate to point one (cheaper = more maintenance usually)
- being a student, have to get to auck uni, own transport doesn't mean I rely on shit public transport, and to park a car NEAR (10+ min walk) = payment of soul, bike on the other hand is AT uni, and not a cent, unless a cager hits it...
- once you have learner you can travel legally on your own.
- I loved bicycle riding, motorbikes are an extension.
- motorbikes are more interactive. You participate more and have more fun (who said "doesn't matter where you're going, it's the ride that matters")
- I generally like to have fun, and once I get some skills you will definitely see me at track days. Also, I aim to develop my motorbike skills to a very high level...

however:
- you need bike gear, which can cost, but saves your life
- bikes may cost more in operating costs
- more dangerous (duh)
- even though its mean, I expect to have at least one accident. I won't go looking, but you can't live in a fantasy world.

For me, a bike is simply more fun, and you live only once. Stupid things aside, I would rather die (becoming a vege is NOT an option) coming off the bike and have lived life, than slowly waste away at 100 and completely dependent having wrapped myself in cotton wool.

The world is dangerous, you can easily be killed crossing a street. Live life to the fullest and don't regret anything you do... :Punk:

just my 2c... err $100...

Pixie
16th April 2005, 10:45
Please stop saying this (power out of trouble) It's like "I laid it down when I realised I was going to crash".-means I fell off.In 28 years of riding I have never heard of an instance of this that bore scrutiny.Sure, if your trying to out run a tsunami maybe,If you think you powered out of trouble ,trouble wasn't going to get you anyway.Human reaction time is the limitation to this assertion.

Coyote
16th April 2005, 10:54
I reckon riding bikes is a better place to start. I've recently been learning to drive a car, and I've found they're so massive and cumbersome, and you can't tell if you have turned the bloody streeing wheel enough bloody times, and this is in a little hatchback.

Bikes are easier as you can see all around you, and steering them is far easier. Plus cars haven't got enough power to get out of intersections quick enough

IMO

Gremlin
17th April 2005, 00:58
Bikes are easier as you can see all around you, and steering them is far easier. Plus cars haven't got enough power to get out of intersections quick enough
Very true. Forgot about that. The biggest point would be the A pillar. Some vehicles have very bad A pillars that can hide a car, especially in a roundabout. The usual blindspots also exist, which don't for bikes (if doing the head checks)

Staying in lanes is also easier, and you tend not to hit many curbs. :shifty:

Waylander
17th April 2005, 01:02
Staying in lanes is also easier, and you tend not to hit many curbs. :shifty:
Or side bariers on the motorway. Noticed my mom does this alot. Gets very close to the side thingie, makes me nervous as hell when I have to ride in the car with her. In fact I'm nervous when I ride in a car with anybody other than me driving. Anyone else like this or is it just me?