PDA

View Full Version : A new sport tyre which really performs!

Blackbird
12th October 2009, 15:35
Avon have recently released the VP2 sports tyre in 3 different performance options. I've had them on the Blackbird since winter and couldn't believe how well they performed in comparison to the normal sport tourers in terms of grip.

When people are asked what their favourite tyres are, quite often there isn't much hard evidence to back up that claim. There probably isn't much "hard evidence" in my evaluation either but what I've tried to do is compare them with the Avon Storms and Storm rear/Viper front combinations I've used previously to at least provide some objectivity seeing as I know the 'bird inside out and what works on it.

One thing is for sure, if they're good on a Blackbird, they'll be really special on a lighter bike.

Evaluation attached.

BigB
12th October 2009, 16:27
Hi Geoff

Great write up and from my own experience the Avon's work really well on the Blackbird.

Cheers

B

riffer
12th October 2009, 20:05
Very nice write-up Geoff. Avon aren't paying you to test these tyres are they?

The 5,000km lifetime on the rear would put me off though, as I use my bike as a commuter, putting 400kms+ on it a week. I can just imagine Gini's face if I wore through a set of tyres every 3 months!

Blackbird
13th October 2009, 06:29
Very nice write-up Geoff. Avon aren't paying you to test these tyres are they?

Hahaha. The relationship with Avon started off a bit "rocky" when 2 other KB'ers and I took them on in 2007 after we all fitted Storms from the first shipment to NZ. They denied that there was a problem with lateral imbalance of the front tyre but I gathered a lot of evidence through KB and the UK 'bird site to the contrary. This prompted them into action to find the root cause and a solution. So no, they're not paying me but I guess they think I'm pretty impartial when it comes to evaluating a product.

Yep, if you're mainly commuting on a heavy bike, the rear VP2 isn't the tyre for you; it is a sport tyre after all. I'm off to Hamilton today to put a Storm on the rear to replace the shagged VP2, but will keep the VP2 on the front for extra grip.

BOGAR
13th October 2009, 08:56
Hi Geoff
I found it a great write up also. I hope the weather up there is getting better all the time. i hope to make my way around there again soon.
Craig