PDA

View Full Version : Mt Wellington 17/18 October

UNSTABLE
13th October 2009, 05:50
Woo hoo, game time again!!!

Fingers crossed we have a Sunday like last weekend:sunny:, blue sky all 'round please.

I'm dead keen for a bit of action, after driving 1100 odd KM to Hastings for 20 minutes worth of practice it didn't quite satisfy my need for speed...well you know what I mean:scooter:

A few questions will be asked,
Will anyone take the challenge to Tim and Garry?
Will Damien have his chest cam on taking on track pics?
Will Kieran slow down a bit...?
Will Max's bike start:p?
These and many more I'm sure will be answered, see you there!

DELLORTO
13th October 2009, 15:31
Woo hoo, game time again!!!

Fingers crossed we have a Sunday like last weekend:sunny:, blue sky all 'round please.

I'm dead keen for a bit of action, after driving 1100 odd KM to Hastings for 20 minutes worth of practice it didn't quite satisfy my need for speed...well you know what I mean:scooter:

A few questions will be asked,
Will anyone take the challenge to Tim and Garry?
Will Damien have his chest cam on taking on track pics?
Will Kieran slow down a bit...?
Will Max's bike start:p?
These and many more I'm sure will be answered, see you there!

hae my bike starts fine thankyou...:laugh: in fact i have electric start.....:woohoo:

Schrgd
14th October 2009, 07:54
Can't wait for the weekend!!
I'm thinking it could be quite a big weekend with some more new bikes around!

Prob gonna be a few heats again. :headbang:

More racing the better i say

Buckets4Me
14th October 2009, 18:23
I'm thinkin it's gona be WET !!!! :clap:

I may just have to race this one :headbang:

DELLORTO
14th October 2009, 18:42
I'm thinkin it's gona be WET !!!! :clap:

I may just have to race this one :headbang:

its to far out to tell what the weather going to do.......it aint going to be wet enough for wets tho.....hopefully the rain will dissapear.

Henk
14th October 2009, 20:33
mumble mumble wet mumble mumble crash mumble.

Rick 52
14th October 2009, 20:54
Not sure I'm looking forward to it or not with rain in the forecast But I should have my wide rear wheel on and with a good wet on it I might get some feel but can I react before the scrapping noises start ???? I think I would trade with Tim for a GP weekend in OZ

DELLORTO
14th October 2009, 20:54
mumble mumble wet mumble mumble crash mumble.

if its wet i hope i dont run over glen orwin again.....mt wellngton in the wet is part scary, part funny :clap:

the last meeting of the last season it was raining like hell and i managed to grab a good place......so i dont realy care,

plus if it does piss down john will put up his nice big generous pit tent :2thumbsup

DELLORTO
15th October 2009, 20:06
good news, the weather sunday is looking good with fine spells and 18 degrees which nice and warm {ISH}

last points meeting of the year so it should be a good scamble for points :headbang:

Buckets4Me
15th October 2009, 20:14
good news, the weather sunday is looking good with fine spells and 18 degrees which nice and warm {ISH}

last points meeting of the year so it should be a good scamble for points :headbang:

last points round has always been wet :clap:

DELLORTO
15th October 2009, 20:20
last points round has always been wet :clap:

well according to the met service it aint going to be wet, its just going to be a few showers then fine spells, so the "wets" wont come in handy...... slicks wont be either.

Damien_Toman
15th October 2009, 20:23
hae my bike starts fine thankyou...:laugh: in fact i have electric start.....:woohoo:

I have my new FXR150 bog standard with electric start and the road tyres that happened to be on it :yes:. I will also bring my chestcam Unstable. I will use it at least in practice if allowed. It can also do HD 1080p video!

I'd like slicks on my FXR wheels. I've heard two front slicks will work?? Anyone know sizes etc?

The bike:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dty1/4000251577/sizes/o/

DELLORTO
15th October 2009, 20:27
I have my new FXR150 bog standard with electric start and the road tyres that happened to be on it :yes:. I will also bring my chestcam Unstable. I will use it at least in practice if allowed. It can also do HD 1080p video!

I'd like slicks on my FXR wheels. I've heard two front slicks will work?? Anyone know sizes etc?

ive got 125gp slicks, ive got a rear 125gp slick on the rear and a front 125gp slick on the front......seems to work great, if you want them cheap contact the moto acadamy. I got mine for $100.....they stil have alot of life in them.....fro my 13bhp monther anyhow...:2thumbsup

hope you like the bike, it took me abit of getting used to when i first raced an fxr.

Damien_Toman
15th October 2009, 20:31
Ah.. I got used to it riding back from Kaipoi - 1200 kms. Admittedly I was not racing :rolleyes:. What sizes were those slicks?

Henk
15th October 2009, 20:33

Believe 125 slicks are the go. As far as I'm aware you can jam them on FXR rims but you have to run tubes.

DELLORTO
15th October 2009, 20:34
Ah.. I got used to it riding back from Kaipoi - 1200 kms. Admittedly I was not racing :rolleyes:. What sizes were those slicks?

forgot, but my cbr rims are the same dimensions as fxr rims so they'll fit both bikes. you have to be careful with those road tires....they dont hold heat very well, so bring a heat gun and give them a good blast :lol:

Damien_Toman
15th October 2009, 20:43
Do you have the slick tyre brand and sizes please:no:? When I order them they ask what size I want. I will buy new ones 'cause I expect to not have to change them for a long time.

DELLORTO
15th October 2009, 20:50
Do you have the slick tyre brand and sizes please:no:? When I order them they ask what size I want. I will buy new ones 'cause I expect to not have to change them for a long time.

trust me, with a bike thats 20hp at the crank, these slicks will last you a good 3-4 years.......save yourself atleast $600 and buy them second hand, im sure most people of here would agree with me. contact quallman125gp he should help you out.

Damien_Toman
15th October 2009, 20:59
Thanks for the advice Max. Tyre sizes?? I'll still get a quote for new ones before making a decision.

DELLORTO
15th October 2009, 21:04
Thanks for the advice Max. Tyre sizes?? I'll still get a quote for new ones before making a decision.

ill get back to oyu tommorow about that. -max

TZ350
15th October 2009, 21:41
trust me, with a bike thats 20hp at the crank,......slicks will last....

DELLORTO is on to it, I think super fast Tim gets a season from a new set of soft slicks, being slower team ESE get a season or two maybe three at the outside from second hand ones. I guess new ones would last us a bit longer but they cost a lot more for not much more.

We run 16-18psi cold in ours.

Do one of those new 4-stroke buckets make 20hp at the crank?

UNSTABLE
16th October 2009, 05:51
DELLORTO is on to it, I think super fast Tim gets a season from a new set of soft slicks, being slower team ESE get a season or two maybe three at the outside from second hand ones. I guess new ones would last us a bit longer but they cost a lot more for not much more.

We run 16-18psi cold in ours.

Do one of those new 4-stroke buckets make 20hp at the crank?

The tyre wear at Mt wellington is minimal, if you aren't pushing the bike hard you will most likely get 2 seasons or so from a set. I'm not sure I'll even get a season from my set, they are wearing fairly quickly and are the medium compound...
Roys Hill however is very 'grippy' compared to Auckland and boy does it eat tyres, so depends where you race and how often.

And yeah most good FXR's will be making that at the crank fairly easily.

Pumba
16th October 2009, 20:20
Tyre sizes??

95/70/17 on the front and 115/70/17 on the rear

I ran these on the FXR rims before getting the GSXR rims and really the FXR rims are a bit narrow for these tyre sizes.

The alternative I was recomended is to run a 90/70/17 on the front and rear. Sure the front is still to wide but the profile is better on the rear.

Might show up tomorrow if the weather is ok otherwise see you Sunday!

Henk
16th October 2009, 20:53
So has anyone got a good source for second hand slicks and wets? Wouldn't mind a pair of each myself.

UNSTABLE
16th October 2009, 20:55
So has anyone got a good source for second hand slicks and wets? Wouldn't mind a pair of each myself.

Maybe... I'll let you know...

And why exactly do you need those hmmmmm?

Henk
16th October 2009, 20:57

It's a secret.:rolleyes:

UNSTABLE
16th October 2009, 21:00
It's a secret.:rolleyes:

Errr, O.K....

You won't need wets anyway it doesn't rain in Auckland.

Pumba
16th October 2009, 21:00

Well if you manage to find the fucken courier that has a couple of sets sitting in his van somewhere in auckland you might be onto a winner.

Fuck I hate courriers:mad:

Henk
16th October 2009, 21:18
Well if you manage to find the fucken courier that has a couple of sets sitting in his van somewhere in auckland you might be onto a winner.

Fuck I hate courriers:mad:

Yep, almost as bad as Australians and electroplaters.

Buckets4Me
17th October 2009, 08:26
the slicks arnt in the van anymore :apint: the on a bike I'm sure
go ask Keith Biddle tomorow about slicks I'm sure he has some good ones for sale
would help Avalon out if you did

Pumba
17th October 2009, 12:41
the slicks arnt in the van anymore :apint: the on a bike I'm sure

Not on a bike yet but they are on a set of rims:2thumbsup

Damien_Toman
17th October 2009, 15:41
95/70/17 on the front and 115/70/17 on the rear

I ran these on the FXR rims before getting the GSXR rims and really the FXR rims are a bit narrow for these tyre sizes.

The alternative I was recomended is to run a 90/70/17 on the front and rear. Sure the front is still to wide but the profile is better on the rear.

Might show up tomorrow if the weather is ok otherwise see you Sunday!

Thanks Pumba for the tyre specs.
I was out in practice today at Mt Wellington and proved that my current tyres (standard road tyres) certainly don't like the wet - or maybe it is just my bad riding! I went down twice, once on each side of my new little FXR150 that had never been dropped!:crybaby: The second time was nasty as the front wheel went on braking for the sharp left hander at the end of the straight (going anti-clockwise today). I went down hard, bent the right handlebar, broke my brake lever and part of the mounting:Oops:. Henk and Luke to the rescue and I was out later when the track dried:woohoo:. If they hadn't got me back on the track for a dry run I think I would have decided to just stick to the photography! The dry run helped the confidence and so maybe I will still go for new tyres and have another go (in dry conditions :ride:). I'll give the racing a miss tomorrow - bike a bit bent and my shoulder a bit sore:(. If it's dry and my shoulder not too stiff I'll take some photos:Punk:.

UNSTABLE
17th October 2009, 15:57
Doh!!! oh well she's christened now, met the track on both sides...Hope you're not too banged up. Stock road tyres are pretty average for track use, especially a slick surface like Mt Welly, it's hard enough walking on it in some places when it's wet...

Here's praying for a dry track tomorrow, I got wets with the intention (hope) of never having to use them, we'll see.

Pumba
17th October 2009, 16:08
Bugger Damian. Mt Welly is a bitch as far as grip goes and I am guessing with the rain I have had here at home today the track would have been drying for most of the day (heavy down pour followed by an hour or so of drying, then repeat) and there is actually less grip than when the track is flooded (or maybe you just ride to the conditions better)

Hope you and the bike arnt to hurt.

DELLORTO
17th October 2009, 16:46
Thanks Pumba for the tyre specs.
I was out in practice today at Mt Wellington and proved that my current tyres (standard road tyres) certainly don't like the wet - or maybe it is just my bad riding! I went down twice, once on each side of my new little FXR150 that had never been dropped!:crybaby: The second time was nasty as the front wheel went on braking for the sharp left hander at the end of the straight (going anti-clockwise today). I went down hard, bent the right handlebar, broke my brake lever and part of the mounting:Oops:. Henk and Luke to the rescue and I was out later when the track dried:woohoo:. If they hadn't got me back on the track for a dry run I think I would have decided to just stick to the photography! The dry run helped the confidence and so maybe I will still go for new tyres and have another go (in dry conditions :ride:). I'll give the racing a miss tomorrow - bike a bit bent and my shoulder a bit sore:(. If it's dry and my shoulder not too stiff I'll take some photos:Punk:.

like i said ive got that brake lever set up if you want it,

Pumba
17th October 2009, 16:48
Oh and a weather map for tomorrow.

We may be OK

Damien_Toman
17th October 2009, 17:12
like i said ive got that brake lever set up if you want it,

Yes, please Max and I also bent the right footpeg bracket - the one you pointed out this morning, commenting that they break easily! I might need that too. Please bring them tomorrow and I'll bring some cash.

Henk
17th October 2009, 17:28
Damian was going bloody well in the dry on the stock Kendas, and then when it rained he was still out there while the rest of us huddled out of the rain.
Hope you're not too sore and we'll see you in the morning.

DELLORTO
17th October 2009, 17:52
Damian was going bloody well in the dry on the stock Kendas, and then when it rained he was still out there while the rest of us huddled out of the rain.
Hope you're not too sore and we'll see you in the morning.

yes he was goign great! your not goign to have much trouble being compeditive damien, i brang the set-up today but i forgot to get it out to show you.

Damien_Toman
17th October 2009, 21:35

For his new bike I suspect!

Henk
17th October 2009, 22:14
Mind you I had a great time on the old bike today as well. Weird thing was I got on the cb and had no problems going to race shift, when I got back on the FXR I went the wrong way in the gearbox 3 times. Think I might have to look at switching it over.

Buckets4Me
18th October 2009, 17:01
haha first post after racing

and what a day it was :clap:
bit of rain but mostaly a fine day with a cold track
and not to many crashes

it was a good lead up to the 2 hour next month
hope to see everyone back (dont worry I wont be a rolling speed block this year)

but I will be there to help out, Wave a flag or right times down or something

DELLORTO
18th October 2009, 17:10
Great meeting, going in A-grade now so show be exciting!, the weather wasnt perfect but i got a great days racign so im hAPPY. Abit so frustrating stuff with wets and slicks.

bring on the 2 hour!

Damien_Toman
18th October 2009, 21:09
Looking good on that new bike! :clap:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dty1/4021933714/sizes/o/

UNSTABLE
19th October 2009, 06:08
Well that was an interesting day.
The weather couldn't make up it's mind for most of the morning, but by the time the prelims were up it seemed like it would be fine... for the first race...
Then right before the B grade race as they were heading out on the warm-up laps, the heavens opened and the track was drowned. Most of the guys were out on slicks so it made it a little interesting, a few had close encounters with the black stuff but most kept it shiny side up.
The firs F4 prelim saw a greatly reduced field, only 3 of us were hard enough to go out on a wet but quickly drying track:bleh:
The second round of prelims was a bit more normal with a couple of light sprinkles of rain to keep punters on their toes. I had my tinted visor on and could not tell whether the track was dry wet or damp at all. So lesson learned, on mixed weather days, stick to the clear visor...
There was a long break between the prelims and points racing, and a heavy group of clouds rolled over and proceeded to lighten themselves all over the track. It was soaked and the horizon was not looking too promising either.
So, convinced that was it for the rest of the day, off came the slicks and on go the wets. Then I stood up, and looked over to the Mount (where the weather comes from) and bugger me :mad:blue skys... So I took the gamble and changed back to slicks again. I must kave swapped wheel sets about 4-5 times, and only ever went out on slicks.... At least I'm good at it now:rolleyes:
The racing proper was fantastic, the weather was kind and everyone was trying hard. F5 had a couple of bikes I had not seen before, one was really quick (#88). B grade was entertaining as always with close battles all through the field. I think Keiran might have had the word to come and play in the F4 ranks, he's going really well, and I think might surprise a few people there with his ....unconventional lines:headbang:.
I didn't see much of the F4 racing... I had a really good day and managed to get in front of Garry and have a bit of a turn leading. The first race Garry was on wets as the track was 'drying' but by the time we were out there it was really slicks territory. I was convinced though that Karl would be hunting me down and any minute I'd see a red wheel poked up the inside somewhere. Unfortunately the bottom end in #89 had cried enough and that was him out for the day.
Race 2 and Garry took the lead into turn 1 (man that thing is fast off the line...) and as he was now on slicks I didn't fancy my chances. After a couple of laps I thought I'd have a go at the end of the straight under brakes...and I squeeked through. I could hear him right behind me so I was riding pretty hard, then all of a sudden it went quiet on the sweeper on to the straight. The next lap there's Garry picking up the bike... Apparently he had a spectacular highside crash, full MotoGP starfish style, luckily he was O.K. and I could breath easy and took the win.
So, I'd like to thank Tim, for being in Aussie, Garry for having the wrong tyres on and for crashing, and Karl for blowing up the bike...:o I'll take em when I can get 'em.
Later guys.

Buckets4Me
19th October 2009, 13:17
I belive that Garys excuse is that you draged your knee threw a puddle of water spraying at him and sending him down (thats his story anyway)

you where going well and I think Tim has another person to look out for

Damien_Toman
19th October 2009, 22:43
Well that was an interesting day.
The weather couldn't make up it's mind for most of the morning, but by the time the prelims were up it seemed like it would be fine... for the first race...
Then right before the B grade race as they were heading out on the warm-up laps, the heavens opened and the track was drowned. Most of the guys were out on slicks so it made it a little interesting, a few had close encounters with the black stuff but most kept it shiny side up.
The firs F4 prelim saw a greatly reduced field, only 3 of us were hard enough to go out on a wet but quickly drying track:bleh:
The second round of prelims was a bit more normal with a couple of light sprinkles of rain to keep punters on their toes. I had my tinted visor on and could not tell whether the track was dry wet or damp at all. So lesson learned, on mixed weather days, stick to the clear visor...
There was a long break between the prelims and points racing, and a heavy group of clouds rolled over and proceeded to lighten themselves all over the track. It was soaked and the horizon was not looking too promising either.
So, convinced that was it for the rest of the day, off came the slicks and on go the wets. Then I stood up, and looked over to the Mount (where the weather comes from) and bugger me :mad:blue skys... So I took the gamble and changed back to slicks again. I must kave swapped wheel sets about 4-5 times, and only ever went out on slicks.... At least I'm good at it now:rolleyes:
The racing proper was fantastic, the weather was kind and everyone was trying hard. F5 had a couple of bikes I had not seen before, one was really quick (#88). B grade was entertaining as always with close battles all through the field. I think Keiran might have had the word to come and play in the F4 ranks, he's going really well, and I think might surprise a few people there with his ....unconventional lines:headbang:.
I didn't see much of the F4 racing... I had a really good day and managed to get in front of Garry and have a bit of a turn leading. The first race Garry was on wets as the track was 'drying' but by the time we were out there it was really slicks territory. I was convinced though that Karl would be hunting me down and any minute I'd see a red wheel poked up the inside somewhere. Unfortunately the bottom end in #89 had cried enough and that was him out for the day.
Race 2 and Garry took the lead into turn 1 (man that thing is fast off the line...) and as he was now on slicks I didn't fancy my chances. After a couple of laps I thought I'd have a go at the end of the straight under brakes...and I squeeked through. I could hear him right behind me so I was riding pretty hard, then all of a sudden it went quiet on the sweeper on to the straight. The next lap there's Garry picking up the bike... Apparently he had a spectacular highside crash, full MotoGP starfish style, luckily he was O.K. and I could breath easy and took the win.
So, I'd like to thank Tim, for being in Aussie, Garry for having the wrong tyres on and for crashing, and Karl for blowing up the bike...:o I'll take em when I can get 'em.
Later guys.

Well, you were all going great. Robert, you found another gear! In the wet you let others go past and then they crashed. You were very sensible, eased off, and stayed on. I need to learn from that :). But, later you hit the revs and went ballistic! Serious angles. The championship leaders better watch out!

Damien_Toman
19th October 2009, 23:33
Bugger Damian. Mt Welly is a bitch as far as grip goes and I am guessing with the rain I have had here at home today the track would have been drying for most of the day (heavy down pour followed by an hour or so of drying, then repeat) and there is actually less grip than when the track is flooded (or maybe you just ride to the conditions better)

Hope you and the bike arnt to hurt.

My right shoulder is still quite sore from crashing hard on Saturday. I'll have real tyres for next time :).

Damien