PDA

View Full Version : What happens when HP exceeds IQ

madboy
15th April 2005, 23:21
It really was only a matter of time... sooner or later... it was, in the immortal e-mail of one of our senior managers when told - "predictable"

Yes, late for work, in a foul mood, I left my driveway, poured on the gas to the first corner. Leaning into the 90 deg left I look up, see no traffic and wind on a bit of throttle... actually I wound on a lot of throttle. Back tyre, having had roughly 50m to warm up, lights up and about, oh say 0.2 secs later the bike goes down... on me.

On a philosophical level I believe it is very important to live life with no regrets. When you make mistakes, you take those mistakes, extract the data and turn them into a positive learning experience. So what did I learn from yesterday?

1. TSS in the Hutt are fan-farking-tastic. They picked up the bike, took it back to their workshop, gave it a good going over, got me some prices and even delivered it home when I decided to do the grunt work myself
2. Kawasaki do no have any left hand clip-ons in NZ, but if I wanted to wait 3 weeks it would cost $99 for the bar, and $147 for the bracket
3. I have no patience
4. F1 Engineering in Hamilton sell complete clip on sets (left & right) for $160. And they also are fan-farking-tastic by ensuring that they are on the courier to be delivered to my doorstep tomorrow morning
5. Tyres require a certain operating temperature to handle vicious and unnecessary use of the throttle
6. A bike can slide a fair distance down a road without breaking either front or rear indicator
7. My brain does not function prior to 9am
8. Boots/Armoured Pants/Gloves. If you ride without any of these, you are dumber than me. You can slide and roll quite nicely down the road without touching either helmet or jacket
9. It takes 6 text messages before my girlfriend asks how badly hurt I was
10. It was the 3rd question my workmate asked (after spending the first two explaining to her what "binned the fucking bastard" means)

Yes, doesn't my ego feel extra friggin large today! :angry2:

So bring it on, fellas and fellesess... I think I deserve it for this one. :shake:

John
15th April 2005, 23:28
Dont worry we all make mistakes, except yours was in an ultra sexy bike I feel sorry for you..

riffer
15th April 2005, 23:32
Bad luck fella.

But ... you walked away, the bikes fixable, and you have a cool story to tell.

It's gonna hurt like fuck tomorrow though...

My condolences.

madboy
15th April 2005, 23:35
What I can't understand is that I binned at maybe 30-40k... and I had all the gear on. And my ankle and wrist hurt like a mother all yesterday and today. But a certain other prominent member of this site binned at, oh lets say put a 1 in front and add some more km/h - wearing jeans and sneakers. I can only imagine how he must've felt!

I really can't imagine doing that without ALL the gear on...

riffer
15th April 2005, 23:49
What I can't understand is that I binned at maybe 30-40k... and I had all the gear on. And my ankle and wrist hurt like a mother all yesterday and today. But a certain other prominent member of this site binned at, oh lets say put a 1 in front and add some more km/h - wearing jeans and sneakers. I can only imagine how he must've felt!

It's all in how you land. When I binned my fizzer last June the front end came away from under me and I lowsided on the left side. The bike carried me for a while, then threw me through the air - I'd pivoted on the gear lever which my foot was stuck to. Landed on my back and head.

The next day I discovered I had a haematoma about six inches round on my left thigh, my ankle was wickedly twisted and I had a broken foot bone. But no damage to any other part of me.

That was at around 80 km/hr. I highsided my CB350 at around 75km/hr and landed on my feet after somersaulting. But that was 20 years ago.

I broke three ribs on my IT400 when I tried to jump it out of the skating loop on Harcourt Werry Drive in front of the old Avalon TV studios (Yeah, that one was REALLY stupid). And I rode home and didn't do much about it until the bruising and breathing difficulties got the better of me a couple of days later.

Every crash is different.

And some people are just jammy buggers. :whistle:

gav
16th April 2005, 00:12
Well how do you think Alex Hoffman feels (kawi MotoGP pilot) http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2005/Apr/tb/050414b.htm

scumdog
16th April 2005, 04:34
That'll teach you for torturing an engine by gunning it hard before it has warmed up!! Engines and tyres work in cahoots you know! :msn-wink:

zeRax
16th April 2005, 07:27
sorry to hear, but really im sure u can find a bright side to it.
sorry to be ammused but you worded it in such good spirits, almost pissed myself when i read #5 >_<
hope theres no fractures dude

avgas
16th April 2005, 07:37
That'll teach you for torturing an engine by gunning it hard before it has warmed up!! Engines and tyres work in cahoots you know! :msn-wink:
Have to agree her here - if you treat a bike badly, the biker gods torture you.

Storm
16th April 2005, 08:18
Sorry to hear about it mate, but at least you came out of it alright. Now you can tell all and sundry that good gear DOES make all the difference. Hope you get everything squared away soon as

White trash
16th April 2005, 08:58

Practice sonny, practice.

I've probably had more crashes than you've blown up cars. Allways land on my R/H side, which we all know is far less prone to doing hurtfull damage.

Oh yeah, and I'm fucken tough and REALLY fucken stupid.

Good learning experiance for ya, M. Well done.

JohnBoy
16th April 2005, 08:58
bad buzz mate!
i would count this as a warning... might be time to invest in some new gear??
or maybe some stickier tyres that warm up quicker!! :Punk:
best of luck mate.:ride:

pritch
16th April 2005, 09:45
What don't kill us makes us stronger...

Sadly, Brit Police statistics say that the average road user doesn't learn jack shit from experience. From memory I think they go so far as to imply that someone who has recently caused an accident is statistically more likely than average to be involved in a similar accedent.

If you can do better than that you'll be ahead of the game...

Sensei
16th April 2005, 10:03
Bad luck ! Watched last night my mate on his new Aprilia with brand new
Metzy on less then 20k take off past me on a back road . I was thinking has he forgot about the new tyre's as he dropped it into a fast 140k corner
NO he hadn't for long as the front went just before the back let go BIG time
still not to sure how he kept it on the road . . Bloody close to close really
SENSEI

Pixie
16th April 2005, 10:25
It's all in how you land. When I binned my fizzer last June the front end came away from under me and I lowsided on the left side. The bike carried me for a while, then threw me through the air - I'd pivoted on the gear lever which my foot was stuck to. Landed on my back and head.

The next day I discovered I had a haematoma about six inches round on my left thigh, my ankle was wickedly twisted and I had a broken foot bone. But no damage to any other part of me.

That was at around 80 km/hr. I highsided my CB350 at around 75km/hr and landed on my feet after somersaulting. But that was 20 years ago.

I broke three ribs on my IT400 when I tried to jump it out of the skating loop on Harcourt Werry Drive in front of the old Avalon TV studios (Yeah, that one was REALLY stupid). And I rode home and didn't do much about it until the bruising and breathing difficulties got the better of me a couple of days later.

Every crash is different.

And some people are just jammy buggers. :whistle:
Very true,I ran into the back of a skyline.I was braking from 100km/h,but I must still have a fair speed when I hit.I went straight up over the car and landed flat on my back.I was winded but I only had a bruise the size of a twenty cent piece the next day.Because all my horizontal motion was converted to Verticle motion when the bike became a catapult,I didn't even scuff my gear.

XTC
16th April 2005, 11:56
one other thing you may have learned is to set your alarm clock earlier?? :)
Works for me.... Takes the being late bit out of the equation :2thumbsup

Gen
16th April 2005, 13:10
It really was only a matter of time... sooner or later... it was, in the immortal e-mail of one of our senior managers when told - "predictable"

Yes, late for work, in a foul mood, I left my driveway, poured on the gas to the first corner. Leaning into the 90 deg left I look up, see no traffic and wind on a bit of throttle... actually I wound on a lot of throttle. Back tyre, having had roughly 50m to warm up, lights up and about, oh say 0.2 secs later the bike goes down... on me.

On a philosophical level I believe it is very important to live life with no regrets. When you make mistakes, you take those mistakes, extract the data and turn them into a positive learning experience. So what did I learn from yesterday?

1. TSS in the Hutt are fan-farking-tastic. They picked up the bike, took it back to their workshop, gave it a good going over, got me some prices and even delivered it home when I decided to do the grunt work myself
2. Kawasaki do no have any left hand clip-ons in NZ, but if I wanted to wait 3 weeks it would cost $99 for the bar, and $147 for the bracket
3. I have no patience
4. F1 Engineering in Hamilton sell complete clip on sets (left & right) for $160. And they also are fan-farking-tastic by ensuring that they are on the courier to be delivered to my doorstep tomorrow morning
5. Tyres require a certain operating temperature to handle vicious and unnecessary use of the throttle
6. A bike can slide a fair distance down a road without breaking either front or rear indicator
7. My brain does not function prior to 9am
8. Boots/Armoured Pants/Gloves. If you ride without any of these, you are dumber than me. You can slide and roll quite nicely down the road without touching either helmet or jacket
9. It takes 6 text messages before my girlfriend asks how badly hurt I was
10. It was the 3rd question my workmate asked (after spending the first two explaining to her what "binned the fucking bastard" means)

Yes, doesn't my ego feel extra friggin large today! :angry2:

So bring it on, fellas and fellesess... I think I deserve it for this one. :shake:

Sends a sloppy kiss :whistle:

SPman
16th April 2005, 14:15
Now...if you'd just read one of Coldkiwi's earlier posts, you could have read how Richard did the very same thing..........:Oops:

Ms Piggy
16th April 2005, 14:39
That's brilliant that you're able to learn from this. :niceone: Glad you and the bike are still both living to tell the tale.

Skyryder
16th April 2005, 17:43
If ya don't learn ya die. You'll live forever. :2thumbsup :2thumbsup

Skyryder

WINJA
16th April 2005, 18:32
WHAT TYRES DO YOU HAVE , IVE GONE BACK TO THE OE BRIDGESTONES ON MY GSXR1000, I CAN WARM THE BIKE UP IN MY GARAGE TAKE IT OUT IN THE POURING RAIN AN IT WILL STAND UP UNDER POWER, IT WOULD SPIN BUT NOT MUCH , DIFFERENT STORY ON DIABLO THOUGH, OH WELL SHIT HAPPENS.
IVE PUT A LOT OF BIKES DOWN THE ROAD AND MY ATTITUDE IS IF I CAN WALK AWAY AND GO TO WORK I CAN BUY ANOTHER ONE.I PUT A NEW GSXR1000K3 DOWN THE ROAD , 2 WEEKS OLD NO INSURANCE AND I DIDNT WORRY A BIT .

Gremlin
17th April 2005, 01:15
If you're soo eager to "give" away bikes, how about giving one away to a poor needy student?? :whistle:

I wouldn't be nearly as greedy as a litre (it would have a bigger drinking problem than me...), just a nice 250... :lol:

Rainbow Wizard
17th April 2005, 23:15
When is there ever unnecessary use of the throttle???
I can't seem to picture any scenarios.
Only I wasn't agro and the tyres were hot AND sticky; but yes, I can only attribute pushing the back wheel out from under me to over-exuberant use of the throttle. I was squared up out of the hairpin but not vertical enough to handle the power that le Voxan unleashes in a low gear. Trying to go too fast too soon. I repaired the footrest today but had to pull far too much apart before I could even remove it from the mounting point.

Anybody got a Duc or Brembo clutch lever surplus to requirements?

Taranaki Rural riders bash at Tahora this weekend, maybe I should cheat and take the XK8 instead, at least they don't fall over unless you try REALLY hard!

Sensei
18th April 2005, 18:13
WHAT TYRES DO YOU HAVE , IVE GONE BACK TO THE OE BRIDGESTONES ON MY GSXR1000, I CAN WARM THE BIKE UP IN MY GARAGE TAKE IT OUT IN THE POURING RAIN AN IT WILL STAND UP UNDER POWER, IT WOULD SPIN BUT NOT MUCH , DIFFERENT STORY ON DIABLO THOUGH, OH WELL SHIT HAPPENS.
IVE PUT A LOT OF BIKES DOWN THE ROAD AND MY ATTITUDE IS IF I CAN WALK AWAY AND GO TO WORK I CAN BUY ANOTHER ONE.I PUT A NEW GSXR1000K3 DOWN THE ROAD , 2 WEEKS OLD NO INSURANCE AND I DIDNT WORRY A BIT .

WINJA HAD THEM ON MINE WHEN BROUGHT IT VERY GOOD TYRE .BUT HAVE
PUT METZLER'S ON AS THEY ARE MY TYRE OF CHOICE M1 FRONT & Z6 BACK
HAVE JUST CHANGED BACK 7000K OF HARD RIDING SO EXCELLENT K'S FROM THE GSXR
SENSEI

MrMelon
18th April 2005, 18:16
Yikes, the capitals are contagious!

Wonko
18th April 2005, 18:33
Like riffer said, it's all inthe way you land/slide. In my crash with an old flatmate on the back, he rolled along the ground where I slid along the ground on my back. At the end of it, he was battered and bruised a lot more than me, and his helmet had a lot more abbrassions on it.

madboy
18th April 2005, 20:05
Yeah, I slid a bit, then did maybe one or two rolls, but nothing dramatic. I wouldn't say I'm keen to run on the ankle yet, but it's heaps better. The wrist is still a pain, literally, and I'm such a bad patient I keep forgetting that it's not up to par and so do really normal things with it before the pain cuts in and reminds me that I'm still a dumbass.

For those out there who think I tortured the poor cold motor, actually it had been running a good couple of minutes before taking off - thanks to picking two right hand gloves up on my way out the door. And it wasn't a full throttle jobbie anyway - only too much partial. Get the feeling the day just wasn't gonna go my way? Kinda glad I binned it on the first corner, it coulda got a lot uglier given the usual speed I travel to work at once onto the mway.

And to sum up the bike fixing, well not only have I not had time to get anywhere near it on the weekend, I also managed to get kicked in the head (no, I said the bike wasn't fixed yet so I couldn't have been caught doing a runner could I??? perfectly innocent story behind that one) and now it's school holidays so I don't fancy my chances of getting near the bike at all!

But the new bars from F1 Engineering look damn fine - and they turned up on time :niceone:

Coldkiwi
20th April 2005, 19:37
Now...if you'd just read one of Coldkiwi's earlier posts, you could have read how Richard did the very same thing..........:Oops:

EXACTLY!

dude, I did the same thing with my two week old gsxr in 2003, but I only gave my tyres 10m to warm up. did you get the big piroette around the front wheel happenign as well?? One of my biggest regrets was that neither of the oncoming cars had cameras!

WINJA
20th April 2005, 20:22
WINJA HAD THEM ON MINE WHEN BROUGHT IT VERY GOOD TYRE .BUT HAVE
PUT METZLER'S ON AS THEY ARE MY TYRE OF CHOICE M1 FRONT & Z6 BACK
HAVE JUST CHANGED BACK 7000K OF HARD RIDING SO EXCELLENT K'S FROM THE GSXR
SENSEI
7000K , FUCK I DONT GET 2000K OUT OF ANY TYRE.
HOPE YOUVE CHECKED YOUR STEARING HEAD BEARINGS

Motu
20th April 2005, 20:27
I too did a similar thing many years ago - I commuted all year in the rain,wearing my wet weather gear everyday...the first day of spring dawned bright and clear,it was my birthday and I was feeling pretty good.I was running race compound Michelins and tossed it down on the first corner of the morning.

750Y
21st April 2005, 08:55
glad you're ok.
were you hoping for a little slide for fun? or was it totally unexpected?