PDA

View Full Version : Vic Club fun day - Manfield

Racey Rider
28th October 2003, 09:56
26th Oct 03.
A Fun Day track ride organised by the Victoria Motorcycle Club, (Wellington), was going to be a good chance to try my RGV250 on the track. The day was fine/cool, with threatening showers which never came to anything.
I left New Plymouth that morning and arrived at a lazy 8:50am. This still gave me time to set up and check out the track. The short track would be used, and I wanted to have a good look at some of the corners that had given me trouble. Even had my notebook with me to draw the corner and mark reference points to create "a line". Tho when riding the track the reference points would fly pasted so quick that I couldn't note them!
I signed on with two bikes, as I had my RG150 as well. No charge for Vic Club members.
What did you say?! That’s right! NO CHARGE! Two bikes, a days track riding, No Charge! Zip! Narda! FREE! for Vic Club members.
Good on ya Vic Club! And just $35 for non members. :niceone:
Riders briefing at 9:30. Four classes: Slow, Medium, Fast, Race bikes. No race licence needed. 15 minute runs. And it seems Barry's going to be riding today, instead of running the meeting, (Now the Talk stops!) :whistle:
Slow is just for the newbies. They get lead around the track, (not allowed to pass the leader), to get a feel for it without racers blasting past them.
I took the RG150 out in Medium class. There was about 6 150's in the class which created some good battles. But there were lots of other big bikes out there too, with which I had some good dices. ZX10's , FZR's, GSXR's would all blast past me down the striaghts, but, with the little bit of track experience I have, I enjoyed carving them up in the corners.
The Fast class had lots of nice machines doing their thing. Everywhere you looked you saw road bikes with tape across their lights and indicators to help prevent smashing should the bike go down.
The Race class was for the experienced track riders with race bikes. There was no race grid starts or timing of riders for any of the classes. I settled the RGV into this class and set about finding someone relevant to my speed to battle with.
The Day unfortunately ended on a bit of a low. In the Medium class I had just been past by a group of big bikes before the inner track, lefthander hairpin. Coming out of the hairpin and along the straight, I saw the guy on a 03 GSXR1000 lockup his rear wheel towards the end of the straight, and send him and his bike down the track on it's side, with petrol? spilling and igniting into flames as it slid. Before it stopped it took out another rider (FZR), who was braking for the corner. This second rider was unfortuinly hurt badly enough to be taken to hospital.
The track was checked after this incident, and found to have oil spread right across this bend. For the safety of all it was decided to end the meeting from then, (about 3pm).
From my point of view I had a great day, getting in plenty of track time, meeting some more riders, and all it cost was the fuel to get there and ride!
Hope to see you there next time!

Well Done Vic Club!
Racey :cool:

wkid_one
28th October 2003, 18:56
Who was riding the 03 Gixxer - was it Tony as I saw him heading out that way on Sunday?  Was he wearing old red and white leathers?

Racey Rider
28th October 2003, 21:11
Originally posted by wkid_one
Who was riding the 03 Gixxer - was it Tony as I saw him heading out that way on Sunday?  Was he wearing old red and white leathers?

Sorry, don't know who it was, and don't recall red and white leathers on the guy. But if it was "Tony" and you know him, make sure he puts the full story here!
But I did note: It was a guy confident enough in his riding, Not to put tape over his lights in case of a fall! :disapint:
Funny enough, his headlight, tho broken from it's flaring mounts, didn't seem to be smashed or cracked at all.

wkid_one
29th October 2003, 06:45
Most likely Tony then