PDA

View Full Version : Submit against the proposal 'copy and paste' this one if you want.

Kiwi Graham
14th October 2009, 17:56
Hi,

My name is ***********
My address is ***********
Contact No's ***********

I am totally opposed to the proposed levy increase for motorcycles.
I own a ****cc motorcycle that is used every day to commute to work (reducing traffic congestion), it is used for motorcycle training (I am a motorcycle instructor) and it is used for pleasure.

The increase proposed is absolutely out of all proportion to the risk facts. The vast majority of motorcycle accidents involve a second party ie a car with the "sorry mate I didn't see you" statement. It is totally unfair and unjust.

Think what effect this levy will have on a massive industry in New Zealand! The motorcycle industry (especially for large capacity motorcycles) will collapse.

Motorcycles should be encouraged not discouraged. They reduce pollution reduce congestion and free up our streets.

Think again!!!

Yours

Obviously change things you see fit but get it submitted.

email addy for submissions are

consultation@acc.co.nz

J.Key@ministers.govt.nz

nick.smith@national.org.nz

sunhuntin
14th October 2009, 18:04
thanks! 10chars

Thunder 8
14th October 2009, 18:15
Done and sent.:Oi:

dmc
14th October 2009, 18:17
Don't forget to sent it to your MP, Nick Smith and John Key

J.Key@ministers.govt.nz

Ixion
14th October 2009, 18:17
If you use this, please try and chnage the wording around abit, add bits of your own.

When a lot of submissions are received all worded the same, they get lumped together as one submission.

nsrpaul
14th October 2009, 18:20
done, legend!!!

Ender EnZed
14th October 2009, 18:22
Done.:2thumbsup

Thunder 8
14th October 2009, 18:25
Sent to all 3.:mad:

consultation@acc.co.nz

J.Key@ministers.govt.nz

jamiey
14th October 2009, 18:32
Here's mine

To whom it may concern.

I have never before in my 20+ years of motoring felt so aggrieved that I have needed to write a letter of complaint. Usually changes / price hikes etc are a fact of life, from motoring to everything else. However reading today the price increases for ACC levies on Motorcycles is ridiculous and represents a clear discriminatory attitude to one type of road user. I have ridden motorcycles, drove cars for over 20 years and have never known anything increase by 200% overnight and find it totally unjustified that the burden previous Governments mismanagement of insurance should fall almost in full to one group of people.

A large group of us here in Auckland are so angry with this news that I imagine you will see a number of protests and demonstrations over the next few weeks / months. It’s about time a stand was taken against a discriminative process that should not be tolerated. Would car drivers tolerate the same increase, would truck drivers. I feel not.

A very angry Tax Payer.

cynic64
14th October 2009, 18:47
Done and sent :mad:

For reference, this list (http://www.parliament.nz/NR/rdonlyres/5858C8A5-ACDF-4B35-8D7A-3ABB7B19ACDB/113891/listofmembers1009091.pdf) mght help with contact details.

Ixion
14th October 2009, 18:49
Please also send copiues of submissions to Nick Smith and your local MP.

ACC will be expecting lots of unhappy bikers to make submissions, they'll ignore them, they always do.

Politicians are more sensitive.

wickle
14th October 2009, 19:04
Altered with my own comments and set to local MP plus others

325rocket
14th October 2009, 20:25
done,

also doesn't hurt to add information like ...

... I am 33 and have at least 32 (more with your government) years left to work and pay tax. If this goes ahead i will spend these working years in Australia with my wife who is a nurse. This is a foolish way to deal with this issue.

Lurch
14th October 2009, 20:33
Meh, heres mine.

Dear Sir/Madam,

I'm writing to complain in response to the proposal to massively increase the ACC levy on Motorcycle registration. The amount of increase proposed is ridiculous and is simply an offensive and unjust response to the issue of motorcycle safety.

I see nothing within the proposal that tackles the issues of poor rider experience and training, off road motorcycles, lack of laws around rider safety clothing or any other form of preventative strategy.

There is no way to take an increase of such a massive size seriously when other ACC users are left either un-taxed or not using the same formula of high power to weight ratio = high risk and therefore higher levy.

It is not a sane solution to tax motorcyclists when the statistics have shown that most motorcycle accidents are caused by other motorist's inattention.

The only objective that this will achieve is the taxing of motocycles off New Zealand roads, the end result will be a higher number of either illegal or off-road motorcycles that will pay 0 tax dollars and be just in as much or more risk of injury.

Reconsider this 'quick fix' because it is not by any means a viable solution.

Barnesy
14th October 2009, 21:41
Don't just submit to the email addresses above, try these as well; the whole Cabinet:

john.key@parliament.govt.nz ; bill.english@parliament.govt.nz ; gerry.brownlee@parliament.govt.nz ; simon.power@parliament.govt.nz ; tony.ryall@parliament.govt.nz ; nick.smith@parliament.govt.nz ; judith.collins@parliament.govt.nz ; anne.tolley@parliament.govt.nz ; christopher.finlayson@parliament.govt.nz ; david.carter@parliament.govt.nz ; murray.mccully@parliament.govt.nz ; tim.groser@parliament.govt.nz ; wayne.mapp@parliament.govt.nz ; steven.joyce@parliament.govt.nz ; georgina.teheuheu@parliament.govt.nz ; paula.bennett@parliament.govt.nz ; phil.heatley@parliament.govt.nz ; pansy.wong@parliament.govt.nz ; jonathan.coleman@parliament.govt.nz ; kate.wilkinson@parliament.govt.nz ;

DarkLord
14th October 2009, 22:19
Mine -

Dear Louise

My name is
My address is
Contact Number is

I own a 250cc motorcycle that is used every day to commute to work (reducing traffic congestion) and it is used for pleasure.

If a motorcyclist is in an accident then they should pay a higher registration cost individually but it is stereotyping and very unfair if the multitudes of motorcyclists out there are made to pay for the accidents and mistakes of the few. I know of many motorcyclists who have been riding for 20 years and more and have never had an accident. It is absolutely unfair that they should be charged so highly due to this new ACC strategy.

As a result of this you can expect that people will stop paying for their motorcycles to be registered altogether as they will look upon taking the risk of being ticketed for this as a cheaper option than paying these excessive fees. People who work in motorcycle related industries could end up losing their jobs during a very difficult economic climate and if more people are forced to give up motorcycles due to the excessive cost of registering them it will mean more cars on the road, which will mean more traffic congestion (which will inevitably result in more accidents) and more pollution.

Please think carefully about what we have to say as this affects us greatly and we have a right to be heard.

Yours sincerely

Graham Aitchison

sinfull
14th October 2009, 22:24
#1 Today, 17:56
Kiwi Graham:Me
Hardcore Biker

Bike: 2008 Suzuki GSX 1400, 07 R1 #93

Submit against the proposal 'copy and paste' this one if you want.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

My name is ***********
My address is ***********
Contact No's ***********

I own a ****cc motorcycle that is used every day to commute to work (reducing traffic congestion), it is used for motorcycle training (I am a motorcycle instructor) and it is used for pleasure.

The increase proposed is absolutely out of all proportion to the risk facts. The vast majority of motorcycle accidents involve a second party ie a car with the "sorry mate I didn't see you" statement. It is totally unfair and unjust.

Think what effect this levy will have on a massive industry in New Zealand! The motorcycle industry (especially for large capacity motorcycles) will collapse.

Motorcycles should be encouraged not discouraged. They reduce pollution reduce congestion and free up our streets.

Think again!!!

Yours

Obviously change things you see fit but get it submitted.

email addy for submissions are

consultation@acc.co.nz

J.Key@ministers.govt.nz

Kiwi Graham
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Kiwi Graham
Send email to Kiwi Graham
Find all posts by Kiwi Graham
Add Kiwi Graham to Your Contacts
View Kiwi Graham's attachments

Bugga !!!!!!

He tries again !!!

TOTO
14th October 2009, 22:29
Sent to all. Hope it helps.

TomJ
14th October 2009, 22:44
sent to all as well - it really is unbelievable!

I suggested I will be considering returning to the UK and selling the economical scooter I bought the wife ......to save money!!! Ha

kiwichic
14th October 2009, 23:24
This is my submission sent to nick smith and our local newspaper tonight

I am writing to show my absolute disgust with the proposed new ACC levies that are going to be lumped on motorcyclists. We currently pay far to much for registration now compared to a car owner.

I would love to know if your statitics tell you how many of these 'accidents' are caused by car drivers??
I.E the crash in the South Island in which a Police officer crashed into 2 motorcyclists???
and how many of these 'accidents' are on farm bikes, quads etc??

My husband and myself have ridden bikes for over 20 years and are appalled in the way we are treated by beaurecrats like yourself and the public in general while on the roads.

As motorcyclists we are restricted to 250cc until we have held a licence for 18months or if we do a defensive drving course to effectively halve that time.

Car owners however, are not restricted and can go and buy a 5.0 V8 while having a learner licence.

Car drivers need to be educated about motorcyclists and treat them with the same courtesy we give them.

If these changes go ahead next year, MY husband and I wont be registering our bikes - it will be cheaper to cop a fine considering we only ride our machines occasionally and I am certainly not paying
the ridiculous amount of $750 to have the privilidge to do so.

Proud to ride on 2 wheels!!

Jerry74
14th October 2009, 23:25
Dear Minister,

I am writing to complain about the proposal to massively increase the ACC levy on Motorcycle registration.

I own an 800cc motorcycle that is used every day to commute to work and am a member of an ex military members motorcycle club.

There is no way to take an increase of such a massive size seriously as I believe that this is a breach of human rights to discriminate against one particular group within New Zealand's society.
It is not a viable solution to tax motorcyclists when the statistics have shown that most motorcycle accidents are caused by other motorist's inattention.
Surely there could be more focus put upon young dangerous "boy racer" types and drivers with a history of drink driving and causing accidents.

One option that would please many kiwi motorists would be the scrapping of fuel tax if the ACC levy is unavoidable.
The whole price increase of all vehicles will have a negative impact on family budgets, food and other neccessities.

All this legislation will cause is more unregistered vehicles, anger, more Kiwis moving to Australia and it will have dire consequences on your party winning another election from the amount of votes you will lose if this draconanian unfair change occurs.

WE PAY ENOUGH REGISTRATION AND TAX IN THIS COUNTRY GIVE US A BREAK !!!!!!!!

nico
15th October 2009, 05:20
Dear Minister,

I am writing to complain about the proposal to massively increase the ACC levy on Motorcycle registration.

I own an 800cc motorcycle that is used every day to commute to work and am a member of an ex military members motorcycle club.

There is no way to take an increase of such a massive size seriously as I believe that this is a breach of human rights to discriminate against one particular group within New Zealand's society.
It is not a viable solution to tax motorcyclists when the statistics have shown that most motorcycle accidents are caused by other motorist's inattention.
Surely there could be more focus put upon young dangerous "boy racer" types and drivers with a history of drink driving and causing accidents.

One option that would please many kiwi motorists would be the scrapping of fuel tax if the ACC levy is unavoidable.
The whole price increase of all vehicles will have a negative impact on family budgets, food and other neccessities.

All this legislation will cause is more unregistered vehicles, anger, more Kiwis moving to Australia and it will have dire consequences on your party winning another election from the amount of votes you will lose if this draconanian unfair change occurs.

WE PAY ENOUGH REGISTRATION AND TAX IN THIS COUNTRY GIVE US A BREAK !!!!!!!!

NAAF ASWELL :2thumbsup

nico
15th October 2009, 05:31
whole cabnet e-mailed they going to be happy reading hundreds of angry bikers e-mails this morning rnt they

$10 says they dont even read them
this makes my blood boil

Ms Piggy
15th October 2009, 05:59
I borrowed what DarkLord (thanks) has written and edited it a bit - the idea is to make it succinct and try to avoid being overly emotive.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My name is:
My address is:
Contact Numbers are:

I am writing to express my opposition to the proposed ACC levy increase for motorcycle owners.

I own a 600cc motorcycle that is use to commute to work in Mt Victoria, Wellington city. As well I ride my motorcycle for pleasure.

Under the proposed increase in ACC levies I will be expected to pay an extra 102% if the information in the newspapers is correct.

I do not own a car because Wellington has an excellent public transport system and my motorcycle is a more economical and environmentally friendly travel option.

It is my opinion that when a motorcyclist is in an accident then the individual should pay a higher registration cost. However it appears all motorcyclist are being unfairly penalised and made to pay for the accidents and mistakes of the few.

The result for me personally is that motorcycle riding will become an uneconomical and I believe it will be the same for many others also.

1 of the overall impacts may be that some riders choose to no longer pay their motorcycles registration and therefore stop seeking Warrant of Fitness checks also, many may view the risk of being ticketed for this as a cheaper option than paying these new fees.

Motorcycle related industries will be impacted upon enormously in my opinion and in this very difficult economic climate I believe there will be job losses and the entire industry will be negatively effected.

Finally if more individuals are unable to afford to ride motorcycles it may equate to an increase in cars on the road, which will effect traffic congestion and inevitably result in an increase in accidents, and of course not forgetting the environmental impact from increased pollution.

Please listen to what the motorcycle riders within the New Zealand population are saying and make your final decisions based on the feedback you will be receiving from many of us.

Yours sincerely,

Ms Piggy (no I didn't really put this as my name)

mossy1200
15th October 2009, 06:39
Sent mine to half so far.

Dont forget guys they are taxing your hoby also.
I dont see acc at the bottom of the ski slope.
I dont see acc targeting other hobbies.
Maybe the weekend biker suffers less other rec related injuries because he/she is riding.

Change your template then send it to all.
I told them they are attempting to sell every bikers vote for life and every bikers wife and as many others that oppose this change.

Ms Piggy
15th October 2009, 07:00
OMG! whata ditz!! :o:o:o I dunno why I'd been thinking 600cc, I ride a 500cc motorbike! Doh! Ah well it still rips my undies!

Noidy
15th October 2009, 07:43
I should also be suggested to them that if we decide to give up our bikes then they will be losing the income they are after. Most of us have at least 1 bike and 1 other road regestered vehicle. If that were to be reduced to the cheaper of the two, they loose. Before anyone says "Thats what they want. To get rid of motorbikes!!!" we all know very few of us will give them up and it may be a hollow threat but if enough of us let them know we are considering this they may look in other places for their income. I think the levy should be imposed on petrol. That way the off road users contribute, bikes use less petrol, the more you drive/ride means the more you pay. I think it is a fairer form of user pays.

sellywin
15th October 2009, 09:16
heres a list to find your local National MP:
http://www.national.org.nz/Region.aspx?Id=31

Laxi
15th October 2009, 09:21
Ah well it still rips my undies!

photos or it didnt happen:Oi:

"D" FZ1
15th October 2009, 09:47
Sent to all three!!!!!

BiK3RChiK
15th October 2009, 09:59
My submission.....

I am outraged at the proposed ACC Levy fee increase for Motorcycle's.
We expected to pay an increase in levies, but the proposed fee increase
is outrageous, to say the least!

My husband and I are small business operators, who have two work
vehicles. We also have two private motor vehicles for our family, and
between my husband and I and our two children, we have four
motorcycles.

Currently, the ACC levies we pay for our business are in the order of
around $1500 per annum. ACC Levies we pay on our vehicle registrations
are $558.18 for our business vehicles, $558.18 for our private motor
vehicles and $1010.76 for our motorcycles.

Under the proposed ACC Levy hike, I work out that we will be paying in
the order of $2000 for our small business per annum. For vehicle
registrations for our business vehicles I work the ACC Levy component
out to be $634.56 and for our private motor vehicles $634.56, and
motorcycles $2280.06. As my son and I were both considering changing
our bikes to 650cc models the ACC Levy component of the registration fee
would in that case be $2748.74!

I am totally against such an increase.

The CC rating of a bike is unrelated to it's power output. Some bikes
with a lower CC rating have vastly more power than a larger CC rated
bike.

Also, there are many bike related accidents from unregistered bikes such
as farm bikes and motor-cross bikes and the like, which figure in
motorcycle statistics but the road bike riders are subsidising their ACC
Levies.

Added to that, ACC is a 'No Blame' scheme. However, this proposal flies
in the face of that claim. By funding the shortfall in ACC by
increasing the levies on motorists is entirely unfair. Sports injuries
figure highly in ACC claims and yet are not directly charged an ACC Levy
component.

What I can see from this current proposal, if it becomes law, is that
many motorcyclists will not pay to license their motorcycles, or will
get out of motorcycling altogether. This will mean more motor vehicles
on the road, causing more congestion and increased pollution.

The current system penalises riders who are responsible riders and have
no ACC claims, but subsidise riders who may ride irresponsibly and make
multiple claims.

Also, the current lack of training for motorcyclists and ease with which
one can obtain a motorcycle license is ridiculous. More education needs
to be done with regard to riding a motorcycle and also with regard to
awareness of motorcyclists for motor vehicle drivers. Many motorcycle
crashes are actually contributed to by other vehicles on the road.
Public awareness of motorcycles is abysmal.

More education needs to go into Bike Safety Gear also. It seems to me
that the more gear motorcyclists wear, then the less chances of having
serious injuries from a crash.

Please re-consider the exorbitant increase especially for motorcyclists
in regard to the ACC Levy component of licensing. Our family gets much
enjoyment out of motorcycling and this proposal will impact our family
in a major way.

Yours sincerely,

OutForADuck
15th October 2009, 10:28
Done... and I will continue ...

EgliHonda
15th October 2009, 11:18
my humble effort:

Name
Adress

Re: Proposed ACC levy increase for motorcyclists:

I wish to register my opposition to the proposed ACC levy increase for motorcyclists for the following reasons:

I have been licensed since 1998, in this time I have ridden a multitude of motorcycles over many thousands of kilometres and have not received any infringement notices, had any accidents or made any claims.
I have more than one motorcycle, and also more than one car. As I obviously cannot ride/drive more than one vehicle at a time, why should I pay many ACC levies? I cannot have an accident on the vehicle sitting garaged.
I believe this proposal may create criminals out of otherwise law-abiding citizens, simply due to the unreasonable costs involved.
The capacity limits seem as arbitrary as the 250cc learners permit. Engine size does not actually mean much with motorcycles. A 750cc motorcycle for example may be a much safer machine to learn on than a legal 250cc two-stroke race replica.
I wear extensive (and expensive) protective equipment at all times, and ride defensively and make myself visible to other road users
I have full personal accident/income insurance
This flies in the face of encouraging less fuel use/traffic congestion, which was a path I thought we as a country were choosing.

I accept that ACC is struggling, and there are unsustainable costs occurring, I suggest the following:

I have issues with ACC being paid to drunk drivers and other criminals. There would be NO opposition to cutting costs by refusing payment to anyone committing an offence
Cut down on the unnecessary frills. After a sports injury I was offered taxi chits, home help and almost unlimited physio appointments. I attended one physio session to learn what I had to do to return to full fitness, and refused everything else as a matter of principle. It was almost as if the case manager was on commission
By all means make poor riders/drivers/repeat offenders pay much more for their registration. This should include offences such as riding without suitable protective gear, but should apply to ALL vehicles, and may actually create some accountability.

I suspect the figures proposed are part of the old ‘put out a ridiculous figure and they’ll be glad when we come back with a simple doubling of costs’ trick, which is disappointing from a party I have supported for some time. My support cannot be guaranteed however given the seemingly ill-thought-out proposal announced here.

Yours sincerely

Name

[not signed, sent electronically]

NinjaNanna
15th October 2009, 12:22
To whom it may concern,

I am hereby expressing my dissatifaction in regards to ACC's proposal to increase the levy on motorcycle registrations. I have been riding motorcycles for over 10yrs and have never had an accident, I have been rewarded with the max no claims bonus by my motorcycle insurer and I am a recreational rider of a 1000cc motorcycle who rides approximately 10,000kms per year.

In my opinion the proposed increase is obscenely high. I am however a realistic man, if indeed your calculations are genuine and have not been tainted by political motivations, then I would grudgingly support a 5 year phase in of the any adopted increase. This approach will minimise the affect that these levies will have on the re-sale value of all affected vehicles.

In truth it is the devaluation of my motorcycle that concerns me most about the proposal. This directly affects me as I could no longer justify the ownership costs of my motorcycle given the limited use that I make of it - therefore these increased levies would be the final cirumstance to force the sale of my motorcycle.

I also believe that the levy based on cc ratings is ultimately flawed, I predict that your statistics showing higher accident rates on larger capacity motorcycles will be totally reversed as riders transition to smaller capacity bikes. I do not believe for one moment that the accident rates nor the cost of treatment will decrease with this transition. To levy bikes based on cc rating alone shows a total lack of understanding and incompetance from officials whom should be better educated.

Also in regards to ACC motor vehicle levies in general, the option of adding the levy to vehicle registrations is both lazy and inequitable. In a system where the goal is to insure the person rather than the property, surely it makes more sense to levy the individual through their Driver's License. This would ensure that individuals with multiple vehicles are not unfairly levied multiple times, it would also offer the opportunity to levy dirt bike and quad bike riders, through the establishment of a new vehicle class.

To state my position clearly, at the bare minimum, this proposal should be re-worked so that it eliminates the >600cc distinction and phases in any significant increases over a period of years.

I trust in democracy and hope that my voice is heard.

Yours in dissapointment
Shane Vaughan

DangerMice
15th October 2009, 14:14
My email to Nick Smith and cc'd to everyone else in parliament. lol

Sir, how can you in all honesty say you “welcome the fact that motorcycles under 125cc were not facing a big increase” (NZ Herald 15 Oct 2009) when what is proposed will see the ACC component of registering my 49cc scooter go from $58.97 to $257.58. That is an increase of over 400%. Is that not a “big increase” in your opinion?

I would encourage you to spend a day or even a morning commute on a motorbike in Wellington or Auckland to see the behaviour of car, truck and bus drivers towards motorcycle riders and scooterists. I have not once come close to having an accident on my own, yet it is a daily occurrence to be cut off, turned in front of, dangerously overtaken, tailgated or other similar behaviour. When questioned, the typical response from the other party is “oh I didn’t see you”. I ride with my headlight on, in a high visibility vest and plenty of safety gear yet you seem to think it is “fair” for me to pay massive increases for other drivers inattention and careless driving. “Transport Ministry figures showed 62 per cent were the other driver's fault.” (NZ Herald 15 Oct 2009)

In my opinion, these changes render ACC no longer a “no fault” system. By discriminating against a small group of society you are in effect saying it is our fault for choosing to ride a motorcycle or scooter, when the majority of the time, it is not we who are at fault.

Ms Piggy
15th October 2009, 19:31
photos or it didnt happen:Oi:

You asked for it...not me but you get the idea

http://ballyhooligan.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/torn.jpg

Laxi
15th October 2009, 21:58
You asked for it...not me but you get the idea

not what I was expecting:( off to the camel toe thread to erase that image from my head for ever:drool::2thumbsup

Bend-it
15th October 2009, 23:04
Mine:

Hi John (or whoever checks his email),

I'm writing to protest the proposal to increase ACC levies for motorcycles, and not for other higher-risk activities, like rock climbing, rugby, bicycling etc. This penalises motorcyclists unfairly for the increased risk that all these other groups pose as well. Motorcyles are just an easy target.

1. If we are going down the route of higher risk pays higher ACC levies, then it should be applied uniformly, as opposed to just one high-risk activity.

2. If ACC premiums are linked to injury risk, then paying multiple premiums for multiple vehicles is not right, as one can only operate one vehicle at a time. A large number of motorcyclists have multiple vehicles and so are further penalised by this.

3. Motorcyclists should also then be creditted for benefits like easing congestion, parking and having a smaller carbon footprint.

I'm an ardent "right-ish" supporter but the inconsistencies listed above are alienating many people like myself. Handled wrongly, this will cost you your next election, you just watch... And Labour didn't even have to do anything...

My suggestion is that people's overall risk profiles get assessed individually, and ACC premiums charged on that, just like how insurance comapnies do it, which is what ACC is, at the end of the day.