PDA

View Full Version : No rego, no ACC cover!

bl4de
14th October 2009, 17:57
The crims are going to be penalized if they get injured carrying out crimes. What about the wankers that constantly drive vehicles without rego. If your in a smash in car/bike etc that has no rego, you shouldn't be covered!!!

koba
14th October 2009, 18:02
The crims are going to be penalized if they get injured carrying out crimes. What about the wankers that constantly drive vehicles without rego. If your in a smash in car/bike etc that has no rego, you shouldn't be covered!!!

I will probably be riding without rego if it goes up as much as they are talking about.
I pay ACC levys on 4 vehicles at the moment and can only drive one a time.
This all sucks arse.

Mom
14th October 2009, 18:04

Well you know something, I can see a time in the not too distant future that a large number of motorcycles on the roads in NZ will not be displaying current registration stickers.

It is only an offense to not display one, the cost of that pitiful as opposed to the "new" registration costs that have been bandied about today.

Insurance will not be an issue if the only problem was your rego is not current, keep your bike up to WOF standard so there can be no questions about saftey you should be sweet. I dont know of any insurance policy that specifically states you MUST have current Rego in order to be covered.

quickbuck
14th October 2009, 18:04

Good theory... But what about the Dirt Bike boys...
Unfortionatly our system stuffed it up long ago, and we have been covering for them for years.

One thing might be to malke them own a bike over 600cc for the road.

hospitalfood
14th October 2009, 18:10

i think you should shut your mouth !

i don't think you have any idea what you are on about at all !

get with the program !

Ender EnZed
14th October 2009, 18:24
What is the fine and/or demerits for not having current rego?

sleemanj
14th October 2009, 18:27
No demerits. Fine is about $250 I think from memory. Council or police can issue it. Council really really likes to issue it so if you don't got reg, don't park on the street.

Whatever you do, still keep your WOF current, you don't need a live reg to get a wof.

Headbanger
14th October 2009, 18:28
Fuck em, Just say you lost all the skin off your leg,back and arm playing rugby,or backyard cricket.

rosie631
14th October 2009, 18:33

get with the program !

Totally agree. Another self righteous, sanctimonious twat on the forum. Just what we need - NOT

bl4de
14th October 2009, 18:34

get with the program !

Why are you gays so sensitive!

YellowDog
14th October 2009, 18:36
It's a good point.

But if ACC won't pay, the emergency services and WINS do.

grego
14th October 2009, 19:58
I fink I will end up doing some kind of "compromise-rego."
For a start, i will only get the rego for Nov -April.
Then for the odd times i do drive during the "cooler/wet"months i shall be taking my chances.
I have never so far been stopped on any of my 1 hour back road cruises and i never park the bike anywhere in a public place.
What pisses me off most is the fact that should i ever reach the age/condition where i will have to get myself one of those invalid scooters, you can bet your arse away that by then they will charge rego and acc levies for those as well.
In the end we are getting it "up there" from all sides and they seem to be inventing more sides every year.......

JimO
14th October 2009, 20:40
No demerits. Fine is about $250 I think from memory. Council or police can issue it. Council really really likes to issue it so if you don't got reg, don't park on the street.

Whatever you do, still keep your WOF current, you don't need a live reg to get a wof.

yes you do

grusomhat
14th October 2009, 20:47
yes you do

No, no you don't. http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/certifiers/virm-in-service/index.html#motorcycles

You do need a live WOF to get a rego though. And the fine is $200 not $250 :)

sleemanj
14th October 2009, 20:59
I don't think they will issue a warrant for an unregistered bike and vise versa.
I forecast lots of motorcycle shops closing down and the increases collected
in ACC premiums will be offset by paying the dole to motorcycle shop management and staff.

yes you do

Let's be clear.

If you do not have a WOF, you can not purchase vehicle licensing (commonly referred to as "rego").

If you do not have a paid-up vehicle license, but your vehicle is still registered (has not been de-registered (aka "struck off")), you can saunter down and get a WOF, in fact, you must do so before you can licence it (see point 1 above).

JimO
14th October 2009, 21:00
No, no you don't. http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/certifiers/virm-in-service/index.html#motorcycles

my mistake i ment you need a wof to get a reg, not other way round

Brett
14th October 2009, 21:02
Well you know something, I can see a time in the not too distant future that a large number of motorcycles on the roads in NZ will not be displaying current registration stickers.

It is only an offense to not display one, the cost of that pitiful as opposed to the "new" registration costs that have been bandied about today.

Insurance will not be an issue if the only problem was your rego is not current, keep your bike up to WOF standard so there can be no questions about saftey you should be sweet. I dont know of any insurance policy that specifically states you MUST have current Rego in order to be covered.

Only problem...let is lapse and your bike is dereg'd. Thus no longer able to get warrants etc. and thus no insurance. Much tho I would LOVE to use your approach!

rosie631
14th October 2009, 21:05
Only problem...let is lapse and your bike is dereg'd. Thus no longer able to get warrants etc. and thus no insurance. Much tho I would LOVE to use your approach!

Not if you put the registration on hold

JayRacer37
14th October 2009, 21:06
Race bikes on the road are looking more and more attractive.
"What do you mean it doesn't have a number plate officer, clearly it is number 37!"

oldrider
14th October 2009, 21:10
Hit out against something big that the government cherishes I.E. Rugby World Cup!

Threaten to disrupt the traffic during that event and start demonstrating how, now!

Motorcyclists Unite, now! :headbang:

Mom
15th October 2009, 06:11

Put the rego on hold, problem solved ;)

Str8 Jacket
15th October 2009, 06:14
Race bikes on the road are looking more and more attractive.
"What do you mean it doesn't have a number plate officer, clearly it is number 37!"

I like your thinking!! ;)

oscarnz
15th October 2009, 06:17
I don't think they will issue a warrant for an unregistered bike and vise versa.
in ACC premiums will be offset by paying the dole to motorcycle shop management and staff.

Yes they can issue a wof for an un-rego veh. The only catch is that you must have a current wof to get rego, not vice versa.

GSVR
15th October 2009, 06:25
I will probably be riding without rego if it goes up as much as they are talking about.
This all sucks arse.

Dead right! The vehicle doesn't recieve any ACC compensation so why does the vehicle have to pay. I've always said it should be the driver that pays the levy with their licence fees.

StoneY
15th October 2009, 06:26
This all sucks arse.

3 for me mate but 2 bikes over the 'mark of doom'
I agree I will just take plates off and fuckin run, lets see a commodore beat my Duc up the highway, nope aint happening

Icemaestro
15th October 2009, 06:35

No, you need a WOF to re-licence (what you call register) your vehicle, therefore you can get a wof without a current registration

twotyred
15th October 2009, 06:37
you can bet they will quadruple the fine for no rego so that it is more than the cost of rego once they realise that that will be the outcome...

Usarka
15th October 2009, 06:43
But if ACC won't pay, the emergency services and WINS do.

For most folk there's a big difference between $180/wk WINZ vs 80% of wage under ACC comp.

kiwifruit
15th October 2009, 07:12
Speeding = no ACC cover?

dpex
15th October 2009, 07:30

Sadly, you do need a live rego to get a warrant. However, a rego remains live, even if unpaid, for two years. During that time you can get a warrant. But after that you have to reregister the bike/vehicle/trailer, etc.

Katman
15th October 2009, 07:37
However, a rego remains live, even if unpaid, for two years.

One year, actually.

vifferman
15th October 2009, 07:55
What an excellent idea!
I already have medical insurance, so I'd quite happily opt to not pay the ACC component of the rego, and sort myself out if I'm damaged. Shirley it must be possible for ACC to 'know' who's covered and who isn't?
It's bollocks anyway - if I run over an unemployed pedestrian, they're covered by ACC, despite not having paid any ACC levies. ACC levy payments are not fairly applied.

riffer
15th October 2009, 08:41
Speeding = no ACC cover?

No. Speeding is not listed in the Crimes Act. It's an offense. Big difference.

p.dath
15th October 2009, 08:51
Good theory... But what about the Dirt Bike boys...
Unfortionatly our system stuffed it up long ago, and we have been covering for them for years.

One thing might be to malke them own a bike over 600cc for the road.

Don't forget, everyone who buys petrol pays ACC. So the dirt bike boys are paying ACC ...

Coldrider
15th October 2009, 09:19
ACC revenue is just tax.
If the gubermint are so serious about road safety, why can they not redirect income from road safety fines collected and redirect them to ACC, rather than the 'consolidated fund'.

Hiflyer
15th October 2009, 09:28
If these costs do in fact go up, the cops will be on the look-out (more so) for bikes without rego, sure a $200 ticket is 3 or 4 times cheaper, but 5 or 6 of them a year is gonna hurt... This is only for peo[ple with one vehicle though, like myslef, I guess having 4 bikes, you can only ride once, the 5 $200 tickets look appealing.

Are you still covered under insurance if you dont have a rego?

denill
15th October 2009, 10:02
Sadly, you do need a live rego to get a warrant. However, a rego remains live, even if unpaid, for two years. During that time you can get a warrant. But after that you have to reregister the bike/vehicle/trailer, etc.

Is there a limit on how long a rego can be 'on hold' ??

Ixion
15th October 2009, 10:04

Technically correct, but misleading. You need a live rego to get a warrant, but technically the rego is the bike being in the system (ie it has a live plate). You DON'T need the bike to be licenced to get a WoF. When we speak of paying the rego we really should say paying the licence.

If the bike is not licenced for one complete year, the rego is cancelled. But, you can keep it live indefinately by putting it on hold.

Ixion
15th October 2009, 10:05
Is there a limit on how long a rego can be 'on hold' ??

No. No limit.

denill
15th October 2009, 10:27
When we speak of paying the rego we really should say paying the licence.

Yeah, technically it is a - 'Re-license Fee'.

Now to be officially recognised as a - Rip Off Fee'. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

NighthawkNZ
15th October 2009, 10:29
Technically even with no rego you are still covered as you pay ACC via PAYE and fuel...?

WuZards-Eugene
15th October 2009, 10:52
I see one of these new flasshy small capacity bikes in my future.

MDR2
23rd October 2009, 15:23
Don't forget, everyone who buys petrol pays ACC. So the dirt bike boys are paying ACC ...

They are not pulling their weight.

scumdog
23rd October 2009, 15:25
No demerits. Fine is about $250 I think from memory.

(a) $200

(b) Try it and see what happens...:whistle:

st00ji
23rd October 2009, 17:19
for some reason i had this vague impression that riding or driving a vehicle that had its rego on hold (effectively disallowed from public road use) was viewed more seriously than just being snapped with your registration out of date. like bigger fines and possible confiscation

terbang
23rd October 2009, 17:29
for some reason i had this vague impression that riding or driving a vehicle that had its rego on hold (effectively disallowed from public road use) was viewed more seriously than just being snapped with your registration out of date. like bigger fines and possible confiscation

I got pulled over on a bike with rego on hold, cops didn't seem too worried, scratched their heads for a while, nailed me for the speeding and no rego and sent me on my way. All up, including the speeding, $430 so cheaper than the proposed rego. Bike rego is still on hold though I keep the Wofs up.

Mikkel
23rd October 2009, 20:29
Operating an un-registrered vehicle is not a criminal offense as far as I understand. And neither is speeding... dunno about dangerous driving, but I doubt even that.

Failing to stop on the other hand most likely is.

kwaka_crasher
23rd October 2009, 22:10
No demerits. Fine is about $250 I think from memory.

$200.

You can get an exemption from continuous licensing and, best of all, it's FREE!

I already have medical insurance, so I'd quite happily opt to not pay the ACC component of the rego, and sort myself out if I'm damaged.

Your medical insurance at this time will not cover accident injuries because you're expected to be covered by ACC.

Technically correct, but misleading. You need a live rego to get a warrant, but technically the rego is the bike being in the system (ie it has a live plate).

Actually, you don't even need a plate, much less a live one - a WoF can be issued for an unregistered motorvehicle. The chassis number, or if it exists the VIN, is used instead of the registration plate.

Technically even with no rego you are still covered as you pay ACC via PAYE and fuel...?

You're covered because it's a no-fault system.

BMWST?
24th October 2009, 15:14
Dead right! The vehicle doesn't recieve any ACC compensation so why does the vehicle have to pay. I've always said it should be the driver that pays the levy with their licence fees.

that is fair comment but the levy would automatically go up for everyone.If you have a sum of money didvided by licenses then it would obviously go up as many people have multiple vehicles.

GSVR
25th October 2009, 06:59
that is fair comment but the levy would automatically go up for everyone.If you have a sum of money didvided by licenses then it would obviously go up as many people have multiple vehicles.

So your telling me that if you own more than one vehicle you have to subsidise everyone that doesn't? Yet to see a person drive two cars or ride two bikes at the same time.

Fees should be based on what classes of licence you hold and a huge component of ACC should be in the fuel as powerful vehicles and hard driving use more fuel. Its the big powerful bikes and cars that have the serious accidents right. Plus more time on the road means your more likely to have an accident even if its not your fault.

My regos going on hold. But you can bet your last dollar that the govt. will fix that too.

Grahameeboy
25th October 2009, 07:13
Hit out against something big that the government cherishes I.E. Rugby World Cup!

Threaten to disrupt the traffic during that event and start demonstrating how, now!

Motorcyclists Unite, now! :headbang:
I like that one.....

Wonko
25th October 2009, 08:16
One problem with not paying rego is that if/when you need to pay the rego it is backdated to when the rego ran out. Much better to put it on hold(min 3 months)

davereid
25th October 2009, 08:34
Ptting the rego on hold may be at the discretion of NZTA. You fill out an application to put rego on hold. I would assume that the application could be declined if NZTA wished.

Ixion
25th October 2009, 09:30
Nope. Not discretionary. So long as you fill it in right it must be granted

Transport (Vehicle Registration and Licensing) Regulations 1994 (SR 1994/244)

Sect 3C (3) On receipt of a properly completed application, the Secretary must grant an exemption from section 5(1A)(a) (http://www.legislation.govt.nz/regulation/public/1994/0244/latest/link.aspx?id=DLM91421#DLM91421) of the Act for such period not less than 3 months and not more than 12 months as the Secretary thinks fit.

Bangbug
25th October 2009, 10:25
http://msn.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10605244

Hey look a quad bike accident... how much ACC was he paying on that?
Oh and look at the multiple injuries with only 2 cars.
And look at all those bike fatalities!!! OMG hundreds.... wait.... they must be there somewhere..... i'm sure of it.... the TV tells me so

Bangbug
25th October 2009, 10:26
Originally Posted by oldrider

Motorcyclists Unite, now!

I like that one.....

oh fucking + 1

Goblin
25th October 2009, 10:46
I got pulled over on a bike with rego on hold, cops didn't seem too worried, scratched their heads for a while, nailed me for the speeding and no rego and sent me on my way. All up, including the speeding, $430 so cheaper than the proposed rego. Bike rego is still on hold though I keep the Wofs up.I was caught riding with my rego on hold a few times and the last time the cop told me I could be in deep shit for using a document for fraudulent purposes or something to that effect. Still worth keeping rego on hold if the proposed changes do actually happen tho. As long as one doesn't draw attention to ones self, one shouldn't get pulled up.

Bangbug
25th October 2009, 20:32

Technically you're a NZ citizen so you're covered.

beyond
25th October 2009, 20:44
Ummm, lets go the buggers under Human Rights abuses for singling out and picking on a minority group.... eh? eh?

98tls
25th October 2009, 21:00
Ummm, lets go the buggers under Human Rights abuses for singling out and picking on a minority group.... eh? eh? :done:It seems to be working well for the present holders of such title.