PDA

View Full Version : ACC Levy Protest: Camping 24/25 October

Danae
14th October 2009, 18:08
Camp the spawn!

The proposal to suddenly up our ACC levy is frankly ridiculous and I know many motorcyclists (myself included) won't be able to afford it, and can't afford other means of transportation. Getting caught for not having a current rego a couple times a year costs less.

I propose we turn the area around Parliament into a camping ground for the weekend. Make some banners. Tell everyone you know. If you live in Wellington you have no choice in the matter: YOU WILL BE THERE. Those north of Wellington, if you can't afford the ride down try and organise a little something else. Those who can afford it: sort out a ride down with as many riding buddies as you can gather.

This is complete and utter PC bullshit and I for one won't stand for it. Time will be sorted out closer to the day.

Leyton
14th October 2009, 18:10
I vision a very large convoy of bikes heading for wellington.. if this was to be the plan, count me in.

Danae
14th October 2009, 18:11
Absolutely. I am not up to the task of organising the ride down there so I'll leave that part up to the different groups.

glanvillejon
14th October 2009, 18:13
Camp the spawn!

The proposal to suddenly up our ACC levy is frankly ridiculous and I know many motorcyclists (myself included) won't be able to afford it, and can't afford other means of transportation. Getting caught for not having a current rego a couple times a year costs less.

I propose we turn the area around Parliament into a camping ground for the weekend. Make some banners. Tell everyone you know. If you live in Wellington you have no choice in the matter: YOU WILL BE THERE. Those north of Wellington, if you can't afford the ride down try and organise a little something else. Those who can afford it: sort out a ride down with as many riding buddies as you can gather.

This is complete and utter PC bullshit and I for one won't stand for it. Time will be sorted out closer to the day.
Im in chch, think you will find most SI's will be going to Greymouth that weekend!! Plenty of time tho, Every SI bike on the ferry and pouring into welly along with NI bikes..........will be awesomee!!!!

hospitalfood
may i suggest a protest in rush hour morning traffic, that moves very slowly to parliment.

objective # 1, stopping people getting to work on time which costs the country heaps.

objective # 2, blocking as many entrances to parliment as possible.

remember, parliment sit on Tue,Wed and Thurs

Ragingrob
Camp the spawn!

So you're gonna go to wellington a few days before exams? I'm all for it but not gonna risk fucking up my last semester for a trip to welly.

Auckland's the biggest city in NZ, wont screwing up a working day throughout auckland by blocking up the cbd or something be noticed even more?

Leyton
14th October 2009, 18:16
LOL, Well I can only do a weekend ride :), Go down Saturday, Come back up Sunday on my R6, it will be sore! but worthy! however.. My tyres only have 800km left in them :P

Danae
14th October 2009, 18:16
may i suggest a protest in rush hour morning traffic, that moves very slowly to parliment.

objective # 1, stopping people getting to work on time which costs the country heaps.

Objective 1 will piss off other road users; we need them on our side. I like objective 2, but this is Labouur weekend, damn.

So you're gonna go to wellington a few days before exams? I'm all for it but not gonna risk fucking up my last semester for a trip to welly.

Auckland's the biggest city in NZ, wont screwing up a working day throughout auckland by blocking up the cbd or something be noticed even more?

I've already fucked up this semester. Those who can't make it to Welly should do something noticeable in auckland. Again, blocking the streets will piss people off.

yungatart
14th October 2009, 18:17
With all due respect to you for getting off your arse and organising something, THIS WILL NOT WORK!!

there is no parliament sitting in the weekends...the tourists, punters and strollers will have no idea what you are there for, and you are likely to get arrested for camping in the grounds.

There are better ways of doing this...I just haven't figured them out yet...wait for BRONZ"s meeting and see what eventuates from that.

We must not go off half cocked. We absolutely need to present a united front on this, one that is welll thought out and pro active rather than reactive...

my 2c worth

sunhuntin
14th October 2009, 18:17

less people would be more inclined to go to auckland. i know i wouldnt attend. more likely to be able to go to wellington.

also, running with YT's suggestion, i am more likely to be able to attend on a working day. my weekend job boss hates when i take time off for any reason. even illness isnt really acceptable.

StoneY
14th October 2009, 18:21
I totally agree on not pissing off other road users, but we could make that 'go slow' ride off peak OR a Sat morning, its symbolic in nature

With a lot of publicity, news coverage, radio plugs etc, we could have everyone that cares informed it will happen, like the truckies did last year over road user charges

They were thoroughly supported by all throughout NZ on their go slow drive

Danae
14th October 2009, 18:22
With all due respect to you for getting off your arse and organising something, THIS WILL NOT WORK!!

there is no parliament sitting in the weekends...the tourists, punters and strollers will have no idea what you are there for, and you are likely to get arrested for camping in the grounds.

There are better ways of doing this...I just haven't figured them out yet...wait for BRONZ"s meeting and see what eventuates from that.

We must not go off half cocked. We absolutely need to present a united front on this, one that is welll thought out and pro active rather than reactive...

my 2c worth

Once something is officially sorted out I'll be happy to step aside. But til then it's up there just to have something planned.

Ragingrob
14th October 2009, 18:22
less people would be more inclined to go to auckland. i know i wouldnt attend. more likely to be able to go to wellington.

There are more bikes in Auckland to begin with. Wouldn't you prefer to take a percentage of the number here and then add whoever travels, rather than taking a percentage of the smaller number in Welly and adding whoever travels there?

Why would less people be inclined to go to Auckland by the way??

Ragingrob
14th October 2009, 18:24
I totally agree on not pissing off other road users, but we could make that 'go slow' ride off peak OR a Sat morning, its symbolic in nature

With a lot of publicity, news coverage, radio plugs etc, we could have everyone that cares informed it will happen, like the truckies did last year over road user charges

They were thoroughly supported by all throughout NZ on their go slow drive

Their slow drive? They completely fucked off many many people when a couple of the trucks thought it'd be a good idea to stop and completely block the motorway :lol:

They got negative publicity all over the news for that.

sunhuntin
14th October 2009, 18:34
There are more bikes in Auckland to begin with. Wouldn't you prefer to take a percentage of the number here and then add whoever travels, rather than taking a percentage of the smaller number in Welly and adding whoever travels there?

Why would less people be inclined to go to Auckland by the way??

i wouldnt simply because of the distance. i can do welly there and back in a day, whereas auckland i wouldnt be able to do it. i work 7 days a week, so dont get days off. any leave i do take has to be applied for and approved. my working days job is easier to get leave from. the weekend job, as mentioned above, its like getting blood out a stone cos i am their only relief worker. even when i was sick, a day off was only grudgingly allowed.

glanvillejon
14th October 2009, 18:44
i wouldnt simply because of the distance. i can do welly there and back in a day, whereas auckland i wouldnt be able to do it. i work 7 days a week, so dont get days off. any leave i do take has to be applied for and approved. my working days job is easier to get leave from. the weekend job, as mentioned above, its like getting blood out a stone cos i am their only relief worker. even when i was sick, a day off was only grudgingly allowed.
get a new job, that sux

sunhuntin
14th October 2009, 18:57
get a new job, that sux

no kidding. need the money though.

Danae
14th October 2009, 18:59
Oh lol, new subforum

sinfull
14th October 2009, 18:59
With more Due respect for you wanting to do sommit about it, the Tart is correct, it will only end in tears, anyone turning up at parliment and putting a tent up !
No one there labour weekend and the cops won't tell ya to pack up and leave twice, they'll be in with batons removing ya !!! Sort of thing you will end up having the mongrel mob backing ya in ! Just so they can blue with the cops !!!
Good on ya girl, i expect ya to be making the most noise at the organised protest, once it's organised (and it will be)

Pixie
14th October 2009, 19:01
The only effective protest is to not register your bikes.It worked in France,but then the French know the meaning of solidarity.
Tossers on KB are already defending the increases.

Ragingrob
14th October 2009, 19:16

So less people from Wanganui would be inclined to go to Auckland maybe?

I'd place a hefty bet saying that more bikes would turn up to an organised protest if it were in Auckland than if in Welly.

sleemanj
14th October 2009, 19:22
I don't think an occupation is a great idea unless it's really well organised and attended by a very large party (big enough to cause a major police problem trying to evict), and is done during the week while parliament is sitting.

Could we perhaps get a mod to create a locked sticky thread for "Organised Protest Actions" which just says "stay tuned" for the moment or something until BRONZ etc have had a chance to forumlate a plan of action.

I'd probably shoot up as far as Wellington for an "official" organised action.

Danae
14th October 2009, 19:24
If BRONZ organise something it will probably get more attention. We'll see how next week's meeting goes?

kr250
14th October 2009, 19:33
just dont register the fuckers,if we all leave them unregistered, and dont pay fines they are fucked

chanceyy
14th October 2009, 19:43
I am with Tart on this one & will happily take time off work to attend :yes:

Insanity_rules
14th October 2009, 19:55

Yeah lets do that! Enough of us and we could shut down Wellington for quite a while.

McDuck
14th October 2009, 19:56
I will take part in protest rides and i will not rego the bike again while these rules are in place. We are talking about 600 bucks, that is a pair of fucking nice tyres for the kat which will keep me a lot safer than shitty acc to fix me after i crash.

Mully
14th October 2009, 20:00
What about Aucklandish riders ride to John Key's electorate office (via his house)?

Wellingtonish ride to Parliament?

South Island ride to Bill English's electorate office (actually, that'd be Wellington too)?

All on the same day.

sunhuntin
14th October 2009, 20:14
So less people from Wanganui would be inclined to go to Auckland maybe?

i cant speak for other local riders. i can only speak for myself. i am fairly sure that south island riders would happily attend wellington, but likely wouldnt be able to make auckland. sure, there are more riders in auckland to begin with, but why make it that much harder for southern riders to attend and show their support.

McDuck
14th October 2009, 20:22
I am in for a ride somwhere

Maha
14th October 2009, 20:25
What about Aucklandish riders ride to John Key's electorate office (via his house)?

Wellingtonish ride to Parliament?

South Island ride to Bill English's electorate office (actually, that'd be Wellington too)?

All on the same day.

Need media exposure, first item on the 6pm News 'Bikers John Key's Donkey'

ehab2weelr
14th October 2009, 20:34
i say all the big cites on the same day, that way riders go to the nearest city.
and for auckland i say lets take over Queens st. on saturday. and for people like me with a bike that has a dead motor, bring your helmet and walk it with the slow moving bikes on Queens, we can all even just park the bikes there for 2 or 3 hours,
just an idea. and it sure will get attention. and be a cool site to see. and an event to remember.

i dont know what their thinking when they shoot it up 102%.....

also no rego means no insurance if shit goes wrong so i would not take that risk, but sadly if the rate becomes that high then there is no way i can pay insurance and rego and etc to ride.... so hear is someone who will have no choice but to hang the helmet if ACC wins....:crybaby:

lets get something going guys.... SMS lets get onto it!!!

also link
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10603177

2wheeljunkie
14th October 2009, 20:52
too be honest im both angry and upset about the situation. i dont get their logic; why must an increase in cc cost more? is it because they have it in their thick skulls that every big motorcycle rider is a hooligan? why arent V8's being charged more? (not trying to start anything with V8 cars, just trying to state my point) .its ridiculous and im up for protesting. i want to see justice.

sunhuntin
14th October 2009, 21:03
too be honest im both angry and upset about the situation. i dont get their logic; why must an increase in cc cost more? is it because they have it in their thick skulls that every big motorcycle rider is a hooligan? why arent V8's being charged more? (not trying to start anything with V8 cars, just trying to state my point) .its ridiculous and im up for protesting. i want to see justice.

exactly. it should be based on HP if it has to be based on anything. i rode a 500 for a while and while it had the power, it had the weight to hold it back as well. a lot of bikes are light and can go really fast, even some 250s are faster than bigger bikes.

klyong82
14th October 2009, 21:10
Are we able to get a 10 min slot on Campbell Live? Media exposure is what we need....

Leyton
14th October 2009, 21:24
Are we able to get a 10 min slot on Campbell Live? Media exposure is what we need....

Correction : Who is going to do it ?

Campbell live would just dig someone representing the comunity.

motorbyclist
15th October 2009, 02:23
Do something on Guy Fawkes.

And yes, they moved the capital from auckland to wellington for a reason: there is less people there to fuck them up when shit like this hits the fan It's more central

klyong82
15th October 2009, 08:42
Correction : Who is going to do it ?

Campbell live would just dig someone representing the comunity.

I vote Squiggles he is good with all this PR work...plus he likes the cameras.

Danae
15th October 2009, 14:48
Do something on Guy Fawkes.

:clap: I like it

MisterE
15th October 2009, 14:59
For the South Islanders. How about converging on Nelson. Home of the honourable Nick Smith.

prettybillie
15th October 2009, 15:05
These ideas are all great......Who is going to co-ordinate it all? I see a massive impact coming. I'm in for a ride too - Auckland, Wellington, anywhere!

Danae
15th October 2009, 15:09
These ideas are all great......Who is going to co-ordinate it all? I see a massive impact coming. I'm in for a ride too - Auckland, Wellington, anywhere!

BRONZ might! :2thumbsup

silverbak
15th October 2009, 15:15
My option is for an organised demo ride, one in welly, one in chch and 1 in Auckland (plus any other town) all commencing at the same time.

I wouldnt worry too much about pissing of city commuters, wellington expects it, during the farmers -gas/methane tax protest i remember seeing it and admiring them for being organised and acting on their rights.

Showing that we are united would be an impressive sight and im sure would get respect from most people and show that we are active in protesting against unfair schemes.

Insanity_rules
15th October 2009, 15:17
BRONZ might! :2thumbsup

And I might turn into a 3 headed beast

matt1_74
15th October 2009, 16:05
Playing devils advocate here... If the govt can be so precise with the groups they can impose these levies on then, when or why haven't their been a form of rego, with ACC levies placed on push bikes???? And as a complete newbie looking for a bike and something new to try in my life. Well it has dawned on me how little Km's are clocked up on bikes.... and even less on SI bikes that are up for sale, my oldman brought a bike just before last christmas.... I think he been for 6 - 12 good rides so far... that in nearly a year! His bike is a 800cc so he will be looking at the top notch rego $700p/yr

Am I correct in saying that there are many people like him out there who only ride for pleasure given a awesome fine day???? Well if they up the rego to that price IMO they should introduce a rego that is available for 1 day and able to be purchased at any service station.. $700.00 divided by 365days= $1.92p/day. Now if my oldman (Dad) had this available he would have only only had to pay $23.01 for his years rego and or ACC (Health&Saftey Insurance). Now this sounds like a true no bull user pays system.... I doubt it would happen though... My assumption would be that ACC levies from motorcycles would infact go down... in which case with the give and take "some ride daily... some ride very rarely" then motorcyclists in general as a group creating a health bill cost should be balance themselves out and pay for each other and hospital visits within the group...

Then there is "Who caused the accident that costs $100,000's to repair the guy on a bike"? If it was a car driver then maybe their rego's need to increase to cover the cost of repairing the guy/gal they infact knocked off.

If we have to have a user pay system.... then lets makesure it is done unbiasly and look at it deeper than they have.

I hope my 1st post/rant makes sense to atleast one of you!... What a sad state of affairs Baldrick!

Dafe
15th October 2009, 18:17
You can count me in. I'll protest for biker rights any day. Shame it wasn't this weekend, It's supposed to be pissing down and we could have turned Parliament grounds into a real bog!

matt1_74
15th October 2009, 19:35
It is a bog.... and filled from top to bottom with Sh*t LOL