PDA

View Full Version : Christchurch bikers

SMOKEU
14th October 2009, 19:18
Who's keen to get together en masse and cause extensive disruption to the flow of traffic on busy roads in protest of this shit this weekend? If enough of us got together and stood up for our cause then we might be able to make a difference.

knuckles24
14th October 2009, 19:56
Well we have all seen the proposed ACC levy legislation towards bikers, what are we going to do about it, any ideas (and please be serious) as this is a serious problem, if you have any ideas would love to hear them and then we can work something out, i suggest other regions make a stand and do the same thing :woohoo:

vstrom
14th October 2009, 20:16
one bike one car park ,50 bikes 50 car parks,do that in every town on the same day,would be a nusence to car drivers but would get a lot of attention .

rosie631
14th October 2009, 20:18
Haven't got any great ideas but i will definitely join whatever protest is decided upon.

ukusa
14th October 2009, 21:36
I'll be in, maybe choke the square with bikes one Saturday morning (or maybe every Saturday morning).

knuckles24
15th October 2009, 05:28
Choking the square or the city council area, start there and get a petition around then maybe ride to parliment if we get enough signatures, if anybody is keen then we should do it. is there anybody else from the rest of the south island keen if so gives us a shout. :clap:

rosie631
15th October 2009, 05:33
If I were 20 years younger and had better boobs I'd be happy to stage a naked protest ride.

knuckles24
15th October 2009, 05:45
to see photo's of course rosie, anyway drop me a pm if anybody can help and we will organise a time to meet for anybody who wants to turn up. :Playnice:

Hawk
15th October 2009, 06:50
Ill be there

T.W.R
15th October 2009, 07:18
I'll be in, maybe choke the square with bikes one Saturday morning (or maybe every Saturday morning).

Choking up the square wouldn't achieve much in total disruption. For major impact choking the main thoroughfares in & out of town would be more effective :cool:

South = Sockburn roundabout or Halswell Junction Rd/Main South Rd intersection

North = Cranford St/Main North Rd intersection or John's Rd/Main North Rd intersection

West = Yaldhurst Rd/Russley Rd

Or gridlock the city at a series of predetermined intersections around the CBD :whistle:

It'd definitely have some impact on total traffic flow :rolleyes:

sammcj
15th October 2009, 07:30
What a crock of shit this is, I'm infuriated...
How ever we protest - I'm in.

Bikes...

-Use less petrol
-Don't destroy the roads
-Don't cause traffic jams
-Don't take up nearly as much parking space
-Don't pollute nearly as much as a car (let alone these big gas chugging 4wd's)
-Although you're more likely to hurt yourself in a minor crash there are a) less bikes on the road b) people are more aware of the risks

jim.cox
15th October 2009, 07:33
Choking up the square wouldn't achieve much in total disruption. For major impact choking the main thoroughfares in & out of town would be more effective :cool:

South = Sockburn roundabout or Halswell Junction Rd/Main South Rd intersection

North = Cranford St/Main North Rd intersection or John's Rd/Main North Rd intersection

West = Yaldhurst Rd/Russley Rd

Or gridlock the city at a series of predetermined intersections around the CBD :whistle:

It'd definitely have some impact on total traffic flow :rolleyes:

Round and round and round the roundabouts ?

jim.cox
15th October 2009, 07:34
the increase should be split equally between cars and bikes.

It shoudl also be based on mileage - you aren't a risk if the bike is sitting in the garage...

sammcj
15th October 2009, 07:35
Round and round and round the roundabouts ?

I believe you're allowed to go round 3 times without breaking the law (because we all care so much about this; don't we!)

sammcj
15th October 2009, 07:36
Vote no on Stuff.co.nz -

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/2964906/Bikers-to-fight-big-fee-hike

sellywin
15th October 2009, 07:36
How about we walk our bikes down Blenheim road into town... all take a lane and slow the traffic, show them that we won't ride if they charge us heaps.

derfel
15th October 2009, 07:47
Wouldn't "blocking" main thoroughfares cause the wrong kind of frustration for other road users and possibly cause an accident? Adding to ACC stats... A protest outside ACC perhaps? I know they aren't the organ grinder but it would still draw media attention. Run a petition around the protests and in conjunction with other motorcycling groups nationwide take the petitions to Parliament.
ACC stats are missing the important issue as to why motorcyclists are 16x (apparently) more likely to have an accident. Poor road surfaces for one, we might want to point that out when presenting our case. I own 3 road bikes for which I pay levies every time I register them. 1 rider, 1 levy. Right?
Also they state that car drivers are subsidising m/c's by $77 a year currently... I also drive a car as well as ride, so effectively I'm subsidising myself. Right?
We must do something. What ever we decide to do, let's make it a good one and throw aside any brand bike issues we may hold. Solidarity Brothers and Sisters!

Okey Dokey
15th October 2009, 08:09
Yes, solidarity! This means we don't want to alienate other road users, we want them to join us on this issue so we have more numbers. Protest to get attention and target politicians, not to ruin another person's day.

who_me_33
15th October 2009, 08:20
A protest outside ACC perhaps? I know they aren't the organ grinder but it would still draw media attention.

To me this is the option that makes the most sense, or even converge there at the end.

ACC stats are missing the important issue as to why motorcyclists are 16x (apparently) more likely to have an accident.

Also with this figure, (and I know it is the one that is being fed to everyone by ACC / govt) is it taking into account all the fender benders that car drivers have, as I'm sure that would alter it a bit, (seeing as a lot higher percentage of small motorcycle accidents would warrant an acc claim, compared to that of minor car accidents).

sammcj
15th October 2009, 08:24
To me this is the option that makes the most sense, or even converge there at the end.

Also with this figure, (and I know it is the one that is being fed to everyone by ACC / govt) is it taking into account all the fender benders that car drivers have, as I'm sure that would alter it a bit, (seeing as a lot higher percentage of small motorcycle accidents would warrant an acc claim, compared to that of minor car accidents).

I bet you Elderly people are 16x more likely to cause a crash than any motorcyclist...

-Sorry to sound agest here, but I'm constantly afraid of elderly people being indecisive and illogical on NZ roads when I'm on my bike.

Scouse
15th October 2009, 08:34
Well we have all seen the proposed ACC levy legislation towards bikers, what are we going to do about it, any ideas (and please be serious) as this is a serious problem, if you have any ideas would love to hear them and then we can work something out, i suggest other regions make a stand and do the same thing :woohoo:Well for starters you all could have voted for Labour in the last election.

sellywin
15th October 2009, 09:09
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=109950

This is a good idea, maybe we could do something similiar... it'd be good if we could get the whole country at the same time doing it

derfel
15th October 2009, 10:08
Well for starters you all could have voted for Labour in the last election.

Labour is why ACC is in the state it's in now, or did they forget to mention that when handing over..? :weep:

sammcj
15th October 2009, 10:10
Labour is why ACC is in the state it's in now, or did they forget to mention that when handing over..? :weep:

Let's not start flaming this!

Both Labour and the Nat's are shocking (not to say many of the others are better).

derfel
15th October 2009, 10:23
Also with this figure, (and I know it is the one that is being fed to everyone by ACC / govt) is it taking into account all the fender benders that car drivers have, as I'm sure that would alter it a bit, (seeing as a lot higher percentage of small motorcycle accidents would warrant an acc claim, compared to that of minor car accidents).[/QUOTE]

Good point! Seeing those of us that like to ride :Oi: our m/c's in shorts, t-shirt, sand shoes and no gloves irks me. :mad:
Fall off at 20k's dressed like that and get those ACC stats buzzing.

who_me_33
15th October 2009, 10:29
Yes, that doesn't help the statistics, but thats more of another argument for another thread.

Quasievil
15th October 2009, 10:33

labour turned ACC into a welfare system........as opposed to a Accident compensation system:Pokey:

Oakie
15th October 2009, 12:02
This means we don't want to alienate other road users, we want them to join us on this issue so we have more numbers. Protest to get attention and target politicians, not to ruin another person's day.

Exactly. Oddly, many car drivers seem to be on our side. The last thing we should do is alienate them.

knuckles24
15th October 2009, 12:53
Lets do it, we need to organise a day that we can do it, it also has to be legal the last thing we want to portray is a bunch of idiot bikers, i will get in contact with some of the motorbike shops around town, the more bikes we have the better it will look, soladarity and unity, i think protesting outside the ACC office and then around to the city councill offices, not sure about holding up traffic but we will see. If you are in let me know, keep bringing on the suggestions then we will have a game plan. I will keep everyone posted, my number is 0275918523 :headbang:

knuckles24
16th October 2009, 06:03
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/2969182/Pressure-on-to-get-ACC-levy-support

NighthawkNZ
16th October 2009, 06:06
If I were 20 years younger and had better boobs I'd be happy to stage a naked protest ride.

I'd still watch and take notice now. mmmm boobies

Papa Bear
16th October 2009, 06:28
last thing we want to do is piss off everybody in cages. fuck most of them hate bikes already........ nice quite sunday morning, in Akld,Wgtn,Chch and Dundn, as many bikes meet up in there respective citys, to a legal ride for a couple of hours, but instead of sticking to city centers, go for a ride passed all the MP's house's then just have a ride around the smaller streets where Joe Public is just going about there own lives. Ride in a staggered, fucking huge group...... just so people can see we just ride for fun. Keep it all legal, have a good ride with lots of bikers and just been seen by as many people as possiable.... hell, could even let TV stations know this is happening around the NZ at the same time.

Just a thought

VTRRR
16th October 2009, 11:08
where am i going to put my part in?

fireliv
16th October 2009, 11:55
Yup I wont participate if the idea is to annoy other road users, we need there support as well.

How bout we take our bikes to the gift horse? Organise a ride to Nelson and protest outside Nick Smiths office along side our nelson counterparts?

Cynos
16th October 2009, 12:55
Yup I wont participate if the idea is to annoy other road users, we need there support as well.

How bout we take our bikes to the gift horse? Organise a ride to Nelson and protest outside Nick Smiths office along side our nelson counterparts?

Damn straight, alienating other road users would play right into the government's hands. Look at how the boyracers got hung out to dry because they'd alienated Joe Public. Incidentally, has anyone floated the idea of a noticeable group ride from ChCh to any protest in Wellington?

ready4whatever
16th October 2009, 16:08

pics ?

Molly
16th October 2009, 16:18
How is pissing off car drivers going to encourage support?

knuckles24
16th October 2009, 19:01
We need to get away from holding up traffic, that is not going to achieve anything we will aim for a saturday morning meet just outside of town maybe at robbie's on main north road and then ride into the square and do a peaceful protest and for god sakes we will not let it get out of control and i think the tv stations might get to hear about it (if you know what i mean). Any more ideas lets hear them. :headbang:

T.W.R
16th October 2009, 19:18
Congestion of the city streets worked for Truckies when there was a feared increase of road user charges and no-one got totally upset about that as everyone knew what they were doing it for. And it wasn't just the city congestion it was their convoys in & out of town before & after that cause just as much trouble.
The maori and their march across Auckland harbour bridge caused major disruption and no-one threw their toys out of the cot about that :rolleyes:

Passive protest isn't effective in getting a point across (ask the jews & buddists) :oi-grr:

knuckles24
16th October 2009, 19:40
Do you have any suggestions then if so lets hear them

T.W.R
16th October 2009, 20:00
1st page :rolleyes:

Though at the moment the missus & I have more important things to worry about: popping nearly $500k for a house and land takes precedent over worrying about rego fees even though between us we've got 4 bikes to consider.
If somethings cemented into place we'll be there

:lol: pre election time I remember saying in a thread that the Nats will eventually :buggerd: ream the majority of us......looks like it's starting to happen :oi-grr:

ukusa
16th October 2009, 20:06

I'm all for an organised ride to Nick the Prick's

Mikkel
16th October 2009, 20:56
Lets do it, we need to organise a day that we can do it, it also has to be legal the last thing we want to portray is a bunch of idiot bikers, i will get in contact with some of the motorbike shops around town, the more bikes we have the better it will look, soladarity and unity, i think protesting outside the ACC office and then around to the city councill offices, not sure about holding up traffic but we will see. If you are in let me know, keep bringing on the suggestions then we will have a game plan. I will keep everyone posted, my number is 0275918523 :headbang:

I believe the Chch ACC offices are situated here: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=-43.528782,172.640968&spn=0,359.995177&z=18&layer=c&cbll=-43.528782,172.641098&panoid=hJ30Tf-uv7BW7YqHevrHfg&cbp=12,343.79,,0,0.26

And for what it is worth, I agree, pissing off everybody else isn't going to resolve the issue. But blocking ACC on a saturday might not have a significant effect.

Passive protest isn't effective in getting a point across (ask the jews & buddists) :oi-grr:

Passive? As in opposed to armed riots... I have to disagree. It worked quite well for Gandhi.
First thing is to make sure everyone knows that motorcyclists are pissed off with the proposed increases. If that fact is ignored, then we can look at making a nuisance of ourselves.

puddytat
16th October 2009, 21:09

That'd be a good one I reckon,target the figurehead who is also not that popular for one or two other things......

We just have to make sure he's home at the time.:shifty:

Skyryder
16th October 2009, 21:32
I'm all for an organised ride to Nick the Prick's

Yes that's the place to start. A well organised night ride and park in all the availble parking metres for the day would get the point across. And it's all lawfull too. Just might cost to keep topping up the metres but then if ya stayed with ya bikes ya just need to top them up when the parking warden comes along. But ya going to need to find out how many parking metres the town has and one bike for each metre. Should be an interesting result one way or the other if it is pulled off.

Skyryder

anton
16th October 2009, 22:02
sorry wrong forrum

norry684
16th October 2009, 22:34
I'm all for the idea of a protest ride to nelson or wellington, just let me know when. If it was combined with signing a petition and the TV crews were informed it could be a powerfull step in the right direction. Just how many bikers are there in NZ? could be good for the public to know that too.

Maki
17th October 2009, 07:09
Sorry to break it to you timid types, but no one will notice or care about your protest unless you piss somebody off. Riding slowly in a group and snarling up traffic IS a passive protest. You are not committing any act of violence that way. If you don't want to do anything that causes disruption, then just stay at home and bitch about the ACC levies. It will have exactly the same effect, namely a big fat 0.

knuckles24
17th October 2009, 07:52
is anybody available in CHCH for a meeting somewhere in town next week so we can work out a plan, enough talking on the forum about all this, lets get together and sort something out, as many people as possible to attend. :headbang:

Shadows
17th October 2009, 09:09

Don't go there

SMOKEU
17th October 2009, 18:33
As for a night ride, we could all cruise the aves on a Saturday night and block traffic there.

Skyryder
17th October 2009, 19:11
Sorry to break it to you timid types, but no one will notice or care about your protest unless you piss somebody off. Riding slowly in a group and snarling up traffic IS a passive protest. You are not committing any act of violence that way. If you don't want to do anything that causes disruption, then just stay at home and bitch about the ACC levies. It will have exactly the same effect, namely a big fat 0.

Yes it's why I suggested the snarling up the parking meters. Even for only half the day. And it's lawfull. Lot of shoppers in Nelson on Saturday morning. But it would involve a night ride to get there in the early hours of the morning so as to take up all the availble parking space on the main street. It's important that Smith be in Nelson if this was to go ahead. The unknown factor is what the locals will do. Will they try and stop this or give support. It would mean riding en masse and with few gas stations open or having card facilities this option may be ruled out.

As for blocking traffic: the truckies were the big boys on the road...................not a bright course of action for us at this stage.

Skyryder

Oakie
17th October 2009, 19:20
As for blocking traffic: the truckies were the big boys on the road...................not a bright course of action for us at this stage.

Also, their protest achieved nothing apart from making them feel better.

rosie631
17th October 2009, 19:43
There are flyers around for a protest ride on December 5th. Not sure exactly who organising it. December 5th. Meet at the Peg at 10am. Riding to confront a certain someone who is going to be opening a golf course that day. Maybe need to do something else, as well, before this tho??

Oakie
18th October 2009, 08:10
There are flyers around for a protest ride on December 5th. Not sure exactly who organising it. December 5th. Meet at the Peg at 10am. Riding to confront a certain someone who is going to be opening a golf course that day. Maybe need to do something else, as well, before this tho??

Yes. Too late. It'll be all done and dusted by then.

dangerous
18th October 2009, 08:47
Who's keen to get together en masse and cause extensive disruption to the flow of traffic on busy roads in protest of this shit this weekend? SHIT MAN... this sort of mentality is what has our levies going up, use ya sweed aye and think about this for a second, we need the other traffic on our side, enough cagers already hate bikers doing the crap you sugest will not and can not help in any way what so ever.

And remember, such posts and actions posted here will reflect on KB and its boss 'spankme' I dont think he will aprove.

As for a night ride, we could all cruise the aves on a Saturday night and block traffic there.
Ok... now ya taking the piss right, if not best you sell the bike and buy a shitty skyline.

Heres an idea http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBlzahb_Q7E&feature=player_embedded right outside the beehive ;) ok maybe not as it would be considered as cearless and damaging public property.

knuckles24
18th October 2009, 20:02
I am going to be outside robbies on main north road saturday the 31st of october @ 10.00am to do a protest ride in to the square, anybody who wants to join me i will see you there, bring your banners and loud halers if you have one :headbang:

sammcj
18th October 2009, 20:06
I am going to be outside robbies on main north road saturday the 31st of october @ 10.00am to do a protest ride in to the square, anybody who wants to join me i will see you there, bring your banners and loud halers if you have one :headbang:

keen, how will you gain public interest?

knuckles24
18th October 2009, 20:09
Will try and get it on the local radio stations and CTV and word of mouth.

sammcj
18th October 2009, 20:11
Great, might pay to start a fresh tread for the invite.

knuckles24
18th October 2009, 20:17
Thought i would start a new thread on the advice of another member, I am going to be outside robbies on main north road saturday the 31st of october @ 10.00am to do a protest ride in to the square, anybody who wants to join me i will see you there, bring your banners and loud halers if you have one and spread the word around :headbang:

rosie631
19th October 2009, 07:42
I will be there. How about everyone who sees this, text everyone they know who rides.

sellywin
19th October 2009, 08:26
I'll be there, texted a few friends who have bikes.

shrub
19th October 2009, 08:32
Do you have any suggestions then if so lets hear them

If you visit http://www.bikersagainstacc.org.nz you can learn more.

It's organised by PRISM (Promoting Responsibility in Safe Motorcycling), a group of well known and well regarded motorcyclists.

They are in the process of securing support from some very well known (household name) Kiwis who are passionate motorcyclists and the national spokesman will be someone we all know of. The team includes professional web designers, professional public relations people and academics. They have access to a wealth of information and data, including stuff that isn't normally available to the general public and relationships with the media. They also have an in to both the politicial circles and ACC, so part of their strategy is also to work from within.

They have been talking to, and have the support of the various importers and industry groups, and are working with non-motorcycle groups who will be keen to align with and support us.

They are meeting daily to develop a well researched and professional strategy for bikers to participate in influencing change, including making it easy to make submissions, lobby your MP and organise a series of national protest rides and media events. They are very keen to focus the energy and passion this event has triggered to stop the levies, but also to use the momentum to put in place a national and credible motorcycle interest lobby group.

babysteps
19th October 2009, 09:55
I've passed this on to the guys at Canscoot so expect the Vespa massif to be there :Pokey:

SMOKEU
19th October 2009, 10:26
Thought i would start a new thread on the advice of another member, I am going to be outside robbies on main north road saturday the 31st of october @ 10.00am to do a protest ride in to the square, anybody who wants to join me i will see you there, bring your banners and loud halers if you have one and spread the word around :headbang:

10am on a Saturday!? Most people will still be intoxicated at that time of morning from the previous nights festivities.

dangerous
19th October 2009, 16:37
They are meeting daily to develop a well researched and professional strategy for bikers to participate in influencing change, including making it easy to make submissions, lobby your MP and organise a series of national protest rides and media events.

sounds good and sounds professional, unlike a lot of the crap mentioned in verious threads... hence why reagade protests may not help the cause but hinder it.

peasea
19th October 2009, 16:52
If you visit http://www.bikersagainstacc.org.nz you can learn more.

It's organised by PRISM (Promoting Responsibility in Safe Motorcycling), a group of well known and well regarded motorcyclists.

They are in the process of securing support from some very well known (household name) Kiwis who are passionate motorcyclists and the national spokesman will be someone we all know of. The team includes professional web designers, professional public relations people and academics. They have access to a wealth of information and data, including stuff that isn't normally available to the general public and relationships with the media. They also have an in to both the politicial circles and ACC, so part of their strategy is also to work from within.

They have been talking to, and have the support of the various importers and industry groups, and are working with non-motorcycle groups who will be keen to align with and support us.

They are meeting daily to develop a well researched and professional strategy for bikers to participate in influencing change, including making it easy to make submissions, lobby your MP and organise a series of national protest rides and media events. They are very keen to focus the energy and passion this event has triggered to stop the levies, but also to use the momentum to put in place a national and credible motorcycle interest lobby group.

Well fuckin' bravo!
Why the blue blazes didn't the motorcycle industry step up to the mark?

No matter, somebody has and I applaud them.

I have emailed the website address to everyone I know, even non-bikers, and I'm urging the same people to forward my letters to MP's. Don't forget; Nick Smith needs the Maori Party and the Green Party to get this through, so lobby those parties hard! The Greens especially, as bikes are 'greener' than cars and the proposed ACC levy hikes are a backward step environmentally speaking. Not to mention the fact that Nick Smith is fudging the figures.

Good on ya folks, Nelson's run is Saturday, 10.30am, Richmond A&P Showgrounds, then it's off to see the 'man' himself, Nick Smith.

knuckles24
19th October 2009, 17:34
Reading some of the responses this is great, i had a guts full of people going on about it and doing nothing, i have been out to where i originally thought about starting but in seeing the response we may have to change starting places, it will still be around that area, i am thinking of the supa centre down the road a bit what do you all think, also i intend to let the TV stations know the night before what is happening. Keep spreading the word folks and lets get a record number of bikes turn up. :2thumbsup (just another thing if you are coming with the intentions of causing trouble DON'T COME as this is is going to be a peacefull protest ride). If anybody has a loud haler and a good voice can you let me know please. :banana:

Jvala
19th October 2009, 22:58
Hi fellow bikers

One thing we surely all can agree on is that something has to be done about the imminent raise in ACC levies. Our voices need to be heard and not just through the exhaust pipes.

The question of course arises, what can we do?

Let’s cut out our emotions on how we feel about the government (doesn’t really matter which colour rules) or how car drivers annoy us etc.

We are required to be level-headed and stick to the facts. Thus we can point out that the calculations used to justify the increase are derived incorrectly.

It is also worth mentioning that driver inattention is a major cause of car vs bike accidents.

When have you seen a biker do the following?

Trying to light a cigarette?
Fiddling around with an ipod or the like?
Holding a phone conversation and making notes whilst simultaneously holding the handle bars?
Eating and drinking while riding?
Shaving, reading the newspaper, applying make-up?

Sure, we could think of more examples.

The point is, that the majority of riders are aware of what’s going on around them. As responsible bikers, we live to ride and ride to live.

So, back to the main question:

How do we take our displeasure with the proposed policy to the authorities?

Biketoberfest in Christchurch would be a good place to have a stand where we can sign the petition.

Oh, and let’s rename the event for this year to ACCtoberfest.

Slogan

Bike riders are
A=attentive
C=caring
C=courteous
traffic participants

I’m willing to be part of some promotion drive, feel free to send me a message.

Remember, strength comes from numbers.

knuckles24
21st October 2009, 17:34
Hi guys and girls regarding the protest ride, so after tweeking and checking out some details, the start point will be @ the peg on Saturday 31st of october 10.00am then we will be heading down main north rd, papanui rd, victoria street, lichfield street and then into manchester street and ending up @ the biketoberfest and we will make our stand there as well, i have just one more hurdle and thats is trying to get the police to co-operate with us and helping with traffic control. when the day comes and we are ready to ride i will give you all final directions and answer any questions that people may have, so keep spreading the news and let all your biker mates know, the more the better. if you have any questions pm me or you can contact me at darkangel2@xtra.co.nz, so see you there. :headbang:

davereid
21st October 2009, 17:39
Nick Smith needs the Maori Party and the Green Party to get this through, so lobby those parties hard!

The legislation Mr.Smith is trying to get through is to DELAY full funding of ACC.

It is intended to LOWER costs not put them up.

The levy on the other hand is set by Mr. Smith alone.

knuckles24
24th October 2009, 17:08
Just watching the 3 news, well done Nelson, so Christchurch riders can we match or better then 500 bikers, i think so, keep spreading the word and lets match it. :Punk:

knuckles24
26th October 2009, 07:40
Just an update, i have e-mailed Jim anderton and asked for his support and outlined our concerns, also part of the route might change we will probably go through the middle of town instead of the outside of town, i will let you know more on the day. :Punk:

Dave Milligan
26th October 2009, 17:47
The most effective bike protest I've ever been involved in was over 25 years ago. I organised it with the help of BRONZ members and several hundred bikes assembled at the Moorhouse Ave railway station and at 5pm we rode up Colombo St and filled every car park space (1 bike per car park space) in Colombo St from St Asaph St to the Square on both sides of the road. Every half hour each bike moved forward into the next car park space. We all paid the parking meter fee so it was a legal protest. Vicki Buck, then the Mayor of Chch came to see what we wanted (motorcycle parks) and by the Monday morning City Council street workers were out painting new Motorcycle only parks around the CBD. On the Friday night The Press sent their chief news reporter (Kaye Forrester) to cover the story and 2 camera crews from TV1 and TV3 turned up to see what all the fuss was about. Vicki Buck arrived at the same time as the TV cameras and Kaye Forrester and that's why action was so swift.

I'm living in Melbourne these days, but will be in Chch between 12 & 19 Nov and 11 and 19 Dec, so if anything is gunna happen I'd love to be involved.

Kind regards
Dave Milligan - dave@getrouted.com.au

sleemanj
26th October 2009, 20:15
The most effective bike protest I've ever been involved in was over 25 years ago
... Vicki Buck, then the Mayor of Chc ... TV1 and TV3 turned up to see what all the fuss was about.

I think you have your dates wrong there Dave. TV3 started in late 1989 (20 years ago). Vicki also started her term in that year.

So, 20 years ago probably?

NighthawkNZ
26th October 2009, 20:17
I think you have your dates wrong there Dave. TV3 started in late 1989 (20 years ago). Vicki also started her term in that year.

1979, then 1993 was the last major BRONZ protest, 2008

Dave Milligan
26th October 2009, 20:47

Yeah, possibly, seems like 30 years ago. I've been over here 13 years and it was well before I left Chch.
David Bailey will remember - he was Vice Pres of Chch BRONZ at the time.

My memory was of a very successful protest which got some action much quicker than we expected. I reckon the same method could be used again.

Kind regards
Dave Milligan

knuckles24
27th October 2009, 17:12
I have been in contact with the police today, so the good news is that we have the green light to do this protest however they will not help with traffic management so we may have problems with traffic lights as far as trying to seperate us as a group, i will be working on a few ideas to sort it, if you have any ideas around this problem let me know. :scooter:

Oakie
27th October 2009, 19:15
Couple of things.

If the assembly point is still the Peg, you may want to give some thought as to how you'll get everyone across the road safely so they start heading south in one group rather split up amongst the traffic exiting the motorway.

What is going to happen when we actually get to the end point?

knuckles24
27th October 2009, 19:35
the peg is the only place big enough where it can hold enough bikers, so i have that bit covered about taking off, we will be finishing at the biketoberfest and have e-mailed a couple of MPs to be at the bike fest so we can put our point across.

Jantar
29th October 2009, 08:02
Are any Cantabrians planning on doing the Bikeoi to Wellington?

Blue TLS
29th October 2009, 11:31
Are any Cantabrians planning on doing the Bikeoi to Wellington?

This one is, was waiting for confirmation of time off work but its all go now:2thumbsup

Emlyn
29th October 2009, 15:23
I so wish I could join you all Saturday for your Ride through to Manchester St, I have a uni exam (yes on Saturday morning the sods!) So please add some revs and voice on my behalf, be safe, and let 'em have it! :)
Cheers
Em

knuckles24
29th October 2009, 17:37
Got a phonecall from clayton cosgrove secretary this morning, he will be showing up before the protest ride starts so we can voice our concerns to him. The weather is still looking good so it should be a brilliant ride so see you there and we will be making plenty of noise. I have also printed up a petition for people to sign at the start so i can hand it to Mr Cosgrove. :2thumbsup

sammcj
30th October 2009, 07:11
:2thumbsup

It's looking bloody great mate!

Pretty good timing how this all ends up at Biketoberfest too! :beer:

been_there
30th October 2009, 07:57
Got a phonecall from clayton cosgrove secretary this morning, he will be showing up before the protest ride starts so we can voice our concerns to him. The weather is still looking good so it should be a brilliant ride so see you there and we will be making plenty of noise. I have also printed up a petition for people to sign at the start so i can hand it to Mr Cosgrove. :2thumbsup

Great stuff, will be there cast or not!!

Warren
30th October 2009, 12:41
The most effective bike protest I've ever been involved in was over 25 years ago. I organised it with the help of BRONZ members and several hundred bikes assembled at the Moorhouse Ave railway station and at 5pm we rode up Colombo St and filled every car park space (1 bike per car park space) in Colombo St from St Asaph St to the Square on both sides of the road. Every half hour each bike moved forward into the next car park space. We all paid the parking meter fee so it was a legal protest. Vicki Buck, then the Mayor of Chch came to see what we wanted (motorcycle parks) and by the Monday morning City Council street workers were out painting new Motorcycle only parks around the CBD. On the Friday night The Press sent their chief news reporter (Kaye Forrester) to cover the story and 2 camera crews from TV1 and TV3 turned up to see what all the fuss was about. Vicki Buck arrived at the same time as the TV cameras and Kaye Forrester and that's why action was so swift.

I'm living in Melbourne these days, but will be in Chch between 12 & 19 Nov and 11 and 19 Dec, so if anything is gunna happen I'd love to be involved.

Kind regards
Dave Milligan - dave@getrouted.com.au

Thank you for getting the parks. (2009 Chch resident). I will try to make the Saturday protest rally.

knuckles24
30th October 2009, 18:15
hi there fellow bikers, the weather is looking good the bikes are all ready to go however the nerves are feeling it, SEE YOU ALL THERE and hopefully we can better Nelson as far as numbers. :Punk:

sleemanj
30th October 2009, 18:19
light changes back to red we keep on going

Flame suit on....

Ehhhhhh, that don't sound smart idea.
1. Breaking the law.
2. Pissing off joe public.
3. Irritiating police.

I was contemplating dragging myself out of bed for this ride (I work late, and am generally lazy), but I don't like that idea enough that I'd probably give it a miss.

Hawk
30th October 2009, 18:23
Technically running a red light, emotionally getting car drivers off side, we need their support also.

knuckles24
30th October 2009, 18:25
do you have any ideas to how we are going to do it

Hawk
30th October 2009, 18:26
maybe we have staging points one group leaves as another arrives

sleemanj
30th October 2009, 18:34
do you have any ideas to how we are going to do it

I would have thought something like groups of 20 with riders within the group staggared (left, right, left right), approaching lights group slows down and concertinas up to side by side, departing the lights they expand out, leader of each group keeps distance from the forward group.

Obey all road rules.

knuckles24
30th October 2009, 18:38
yeah that sounds a good idea. :Punk:

Rebal
30th October 2009, 18:39
Will be there...........

knuckles24
30th October 2009, 18:43
we even have bikers coming from Ashburton. :Punk:

Molly
30th October 2009, 18:43
the start point will be @ the peg :

Where's that then? Cheers.

sleemanj
30th October 2009, 18:47
The Peg is the belfast pub, just before you get on the motorway on your left.

Molly
30th October 2009, 18:54
Thanks. I know the one. Just thought it was odd that a north-bound site was chosen. That's why I wasn't sure. Anyway, I'll be there.

Hope nobody decides to ride like a prick.

dangerous
30th October 2009, 18:58
Hope nobody decides to ride like a prick.

Ohh there will be, always is, cant be helped in such a gathering/ride... hence why Ill meet up to show suport but will depart on my own and in another direction.

sammcj
30th October 2009, 19:12
What do you all think about trying to push the ACC leveys onto an tri-annual Drivers Licence Fee?

It could be:

-Regulated based on what Licences you hold.
-Different class's of your licence could be put on hold when not in use. (i.e. over the winter)
-You could get fined if you're driving a vehicle when your special licence is on hold.

This way you would only be paying for yourself, not anyone that chooses to drive you car, i.e. if you own a car and 3 bikes you only pay one lot of ACC.

Also, SUV's / 4WD's registered for road use could have a special class that doesn't require any special driver training BUT does impose a fee due to the vehicle's impact rating, emissions and weight.

Fines for driving with the incorrect class / with a licence class on hold could be raised to take into account the people that risk driving without a licence to get around paying the fee's.

Just for interests sake if you want to come and have a chat about this with me, look for me on the ride tomorrow riding a old honda gb.

... dreams are free.

sleemanj
30th October 2009, 20:14
Thanks. I know the one. Just thought it was odd that a north-bound site was chosen.

Yes I hope knuckles has a plan for that.

If he doesn't, I'd suggest perhaps he instructs everybody makes their way carefully and single file across the motorway and up dickeys/main north road, then turns around and comes back down to the intersection and forms in two columns, where a marshaller would group into the 20 rider groups and send off spaced perhaps 30 seconds apart.

I drawed a picture.

cooneyr
30th October 2009, 21:24
Yes I hope knuckles has a plan for that.

If he doesn't, I'd suggest perhaps he instructs everybody makes their way carefully and single file across the motorway and up dickeys/main north road, then turns around and comes back down to the intersection and forms in two columns, where a marshaller would group into the 20 rider groups and send off spaced perhaps 30 seconds apart.

I drawed a picture.

Even bettera but will take longer. Get everone to ride north up the motorway to the Tram Road off ramp hang a right over the motorway overbridge then come back down marshlands Rd, Right into Old Main North Road then go from there.

That Dickeys Rd/Main North Rd intersection is not one to be playing games with.

sleemanj
30th October 2009, 21:32
Even bettera but will take longer. Get everone to ride north up the motorway

My concern would be that as soon as people got onto the motorway a number might get carried away with speed, and there also could conceivably have a lot of scooterists and such like who don't want to be motorwaying.

Shadows
30th October 2009, 22:16
Flame suit on....

Ehhhhhh, that don't sound smart idea.
1. Breaking the law.
2. Pissing off joe public.
3. Irritiating police.

I was contemplating dragging myself out of bed for this ride (I work late, and am generally lazy), but I don't like that idea enough that I'd probably give it a miss.

Technically running a red light, emotionally getting car drivers off side, we need their support also.

Typical Fucking Honda riders. One has to wonder.

sleemanj
30th October 2009, 22:49
One has to wonder.

Now now Shadows, no need for that, Honda riders are already so fucking wonderful, we don't need any more wonder at all :chase:

Molly
31st October 2009, 06:06
Took part in an anti-type-approval ride once in the North East of England. The police held up traffic just long enough for us all to get off the starting site (and pulled up the few riders who thought they'd throw an anti-helmet protest into the mix).

In the interest of safety, you'd think they'd lend us a cop for ten minutes just to help get things moving.

Like the idea of heading north together first.

sammcj
31st October 2009, 06:37
Typical Fucking Honda riders. One has to wonder.

haha, play nice! we aren't all bad! :wari:

dangerous
31st October 2009, 07:36
Even bettera but will take longer. Get everone to ride north up the motorway to the Tram Road off ramp

a good idea as it will help spread the bikes out aswell... comming back done the M/W rather than mashlands rd would be beter tho.

PS: might only be 5 of us/you's tho :scooter:

sammcj
31st October 2009, 07:37
PS: might only be 5 of us/you's tho :scooter:

well I've got a pack of 3 with me! :rockon:

200BUSA
31st October 2009, 11:13
Looked a great sight with so many bikes turning up. Couldnt be on it today as i was looking after the kids.
Only thing i didnt like about the run was people turning up to the meeting point at the start. I lost count of how many bikes that didnt indicate when turning in to the Peg carpark, cars avoiding bikes not indicating and bikes without working brake lights.
Was a nice sight to see the road blocked to let all the bikes out, i dont think the public realise how many bikers there are in NZ.
I hope the rest of the run went incident free and it will hopefully help get the message across.

robo555
31st October 2009, 11:18
Should have had signs up so people knew it was a protest. Looked great none the less.

Pics?

sleemanj
31st October 2009, 11:20
I'm glad I put new coolant in the other day is all I'll say! Very slow crawl through the city.

Couldn't hear the people talking at the go, y'd think Cosgrove would have a loud hailer in his car for impromptu vote grabbing.

Great to see so many bikers out there doing it, bugger for the guy getting a ticket on the motorway, whatwas that about? And looked like somebody might have come off just before the end of the motorway, plenty of people going running down the bank for some reason anway so I didn't bother to stop.

Also good to see plenty of young'n and newbies, I rode behind a chick on a scorpio through most of the city which even had an L plate, good job for keeping the law on our side people.

Here's a couple of pictures straight off the camera.

choppedxs
31st October 2009, 11:52
Great ride into town with so many bikes. Think they got the ticket for running a red. How did I manage to end up behind the 2 stroke puffing more smoke the hotter it got on the crawl into town. Shame there wasn't something at the end of the ride like a petition or something to send to govt. Oh well I guess the ride to Wellington will be better for that. Were there any TV cameras there today?

dangerous
31st October 2009, 12:00
Was a nice sight to see the road blocked to let all the bikes out, .Yeah pitty when he did the same entering back onto the M/W that pissy pig chased him down and pulled him, fuck sakes the cops aint interested in helping so ya do the safest thing you can think of and get screwed over it.

bugger for the guy getting a ticket on the motorway, whatwas that about? And looked like somebody might have come off just before the end of the motorway, as above and the running down the bank thing might have been a ruun out a gas stunt.

Knuckles... I asume you were the baldie with a crayon drawing on ya neck? good job man.

knuckles24
31st October 2009, 14:23
Yes that is me but it wasn't crayon trust me its ink, so who got the ticket, that is typical of the police they didn't want to help but had no problem giving tickets, what really pisses me off is that they new about it happening. A BIG THANKYOU TO ALL WHO ATTENDED, hope we made some difference. :woohoo:

sammcj
31st October 2009, 14:25
Yes that is me but it wasn't crayon trust me its ink, so who got the ticket, that is typical of the police they didn't want to help but had no problem giving tickets, what really pisses me off is that they new about it happening. A BIG THANKYOU TO ALL WHO ATTENDED, hope we made some difference. :woohoo:

Thanks for organising Knuckles!

been_there
31st October 2009, 14:50
Thanks for organising Knuckles!

Yeah +1 ON THAT

robo555
31st October 2009, 14:52
Not sure what the exact story is, but from what I saw, the bike who got pulled over on the motorway missed the exit to tram street, rode on to the grass in the middle of the motorway, then somehow tried to merge back into traffic.

knuckles24
31st October 2009, 14:58
that would be right, i saw the the cop car sitting just under the bridge so he must of got him there

sammcj
31st October 2009, 16:46
some photos.

dangerous
31st October 2009, 17:14
Not sure what the exact story is, but from what I saw, the bike who got pulled over on the motorway missed the exit to tram street, rode on to the grass in the middle of the motorway, then somehow tried to merge back into traffic.
No... he cut across the grass as did a red sports bike (he went up and blocked the traffic on Tram Rd the guy pulled was stopping the traffic on the M/W the cop rounded him up and pushed him aside... the prick could have done the blocking himself, we are only talking about one lane.

FWIW, and believe me Im a picky basterd... all n all every one was well behavied, couldnt believe a few tho like the twat on a Triumph well leathered up but had his daughter with skin showing from shorts to boots... the girl was about 10... and its a ACC protest. and a HD passing on double yellows.

knuckles24
31st October 2009, 17:14
does Christchurch and Timaru not get a mention on the news, tv1 and tv3 didn't even show us, what a waste of time doing an interview.

dangerous
31st October 2009, 17:17
does Christchurch and Timaru not get a mention on the news, tv1 and tv3 didn't even show us, what a waste of time doing an interview.
what ya expect... ya see them kids that rolled their van over a bridge "ohhh they were such nice people wouldent hurt a fly" they drove pissed on the wrong side of the road... FFS

its only 6:16 might be on after the weather LOL

KelvinAng
31st October 2009, 18:01
There was a one-line mention about riders doing the same in Christchurch and Timaru... but as long as it gets the message across it's a job well done. Cheers guys!

Molly
31st October 2009, 18:37
At first I thought the turn-out was going to be pathetic. In the end it was bloody impressive. Bike got hotter than hell on the crawl into town. Had to forget my manners for the last bit.

Surprised to see people riding in sneakers (obviously no idea how bloody painful foot injuries can be) or with ill-equipped pillion passengers (not a good advert for responsible riders).

Lots of people watching and seemingly enjoying the bikes passing by. One bloke on a red Honda cruiser insisted on sitting in the right lane holding up traffic but besides that bloke I didn't see anybody doing anything to piss off motorists.

Silage
31st October 2009, 18:49
Well done Knuckles for all you did for this. Did anyone do a head count of those on the ride? Just hope that it encourages more in Wellington to think twice. And I was quite surprised that Clayton Cosgrove made some sense.

Found a few KBers in the crowd at the Peg or in town but there were obviously a stack more. Hope for a good turnout at the KB rally - 11-13 December at Kopara.

knuckles24
31st October 2009, 18:54
saw an article and it said there was about 300 bikers but i think there was more then that, it was a bloody good sight to see :rockon:

JMemonic
31st October 2009, 19:01
Looks like you guys had a great turn out, mention is made of the lack of gear but that's one of those things you see all the time at every run. Perhaps ACC's payout would be less if more gear was mandatory.

sammcj
31st October 2009, 19:04
Perhaps ACC's payout would be less if more gear was mandatory.

Very good point.
Any decent way we can suggest this to someone of status?

dangerous
31st October 2009, 19:13
Very good point.
Any decent way we can suggest this to someone of status?

wont happen, all you will get is the PC 'its a free world' we can do what we want shit...
yes I believe if ya wear shorts on a bike then acc should not cover ya, why should they when others dress correct.
HD riders amaze me with there fingerless and open face lids, shit those that again dress beter have to pay for there face off and replacment fingers... BUT thats there right and there choice.
yet another reason for personal insurance and shove the ACC

Silage
31st October 2009, 19:22
Here (http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/3018443/Motorcyclists-rally-against-ACC-hikes)

Radio NZ article here (http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/stories/2009/10/31/1245cec58a7f)

knuckles24
31st October 2009, 19:22
it was on another post

Molly
31st October 2009, 19:27
Extrapolate that argument Dangerous and my concern is that we'll all be wearing bright orange bibs. All that's ever needed is common sense. Can't believe it's in such short supply.

Anyway, 300 bikes eh! Mine (black single seat Harley Springer) was the nicest... ;-)

Shadows
31st October 2009, 21:20
Extrapolate that argument Dangerous and my concern is that we'll all be wearing bright orange bibs. All that's ever needed is common sense. Can't believe it's in such short supply.

Anyway, 300 bikes eh! Mine (black single seat Harley Springer) was the nicest... ;-)

'07 with white wall tyres?

Fuck yeah if that was yours.

Shadows
31st October 2009, 21:30
Now now Shadows, no need for that, Honda riders are already so fucking wonderful, we don't need any more wonder at all :chase:

haha, play nice! we aren't all bad! :wari:

I know.

I've owned five of them.

Justy
31st October 2009, 22:07
I was inpressed to see the turn out
My poor old cx loved it
heated up into town also
and I found my speedo wire was lose and made a crazy sound, all sorted now and my bike stood out ot mch so I came home and painted it black again

cheers guys

sammcj
31st October 2009, 22:13
My poor old cx loved it
cheers guys

Pretty neat bike in it's day eh! good to see it out.

peasea
1st November 2009, 06:22

Looks like Nelson stole your thunder. Good effort down there in ChCh though, even if the ride didn't make the prime slot on the news it's still raising awareness with the public and showing politicians that bikers won't simply 'roll over' on this issue.

dangerous
1st November 2009, 09:22
Extrapolate
In english please... my english not yours ;)

It will never get to the point were a bike rider has to wear a dayglo, I doubt it would ever be mandorty to were gloves, it wont happen so those that go off on that ban wagon need not wast there time...
Common sence, it is being bread out of us via rules n regs AND the PC shit were kids need babying till they are 60. Fark Molly our olds had to use there brains, one broken bone and ya never did that again.

As far as my HD (and others) riders that wear open lids and fingerless gloves are more than welcom to in my books, but Ill be fucked if I should have to pay to fix them up when I corectly protect my self at my expence.
Only way around it is ya own personal ACC insurance... dont pay it dont get ya fingers stiched back on.

knuckles24
1st November 2009, 10:34
yesterday that there was 2 more protests happening in Ch-Ch, does anyone know if that is the case

rosie631
1st November 2009, 10:54
There's one on December 5th. Leaving the peg at 10 I think.

knuckles24
1st November 2009, 10:58
Is john key suppose to be in Christchurch somewhere? :woohoo:

rosie631
1st November 2009, 11:57
Yes, at the Pegasus golf club. I think that's where the ride's going.

Hawk
1st November 2009, 13:11
Heard about the peg Golf club run I also heard they heard of us and closed the opening to public, security guards and all. Guess well have to make use of all available parking once we arrive ie access and exit roads

I heard that this was happening on the 5th Just found the site Its DEC linky thing (http://www.pegasustown.com/leisure/pegasus-golf-and-tennis-club)

Subike
1st November 2009, 13:17
Heard about the peg Golf club run I also heard they heard of us and closed the opening to public, security guards and all. Guess well have to make use of all available parking once we arrive ie access and exit roads

I heard that this was happening on the 5th

If this is true, and they have closed the opening for fear of us arriving
then we are startingt o make headway in this protest.
If this is true then we have become a concern they must contend with at all public events for any government official
So we must keep this pressure on , what other events, main or local govt are in the pipeling for the next two weeks in chch.
Let keep ourselves in the media at every oppotunity.

Molly
1st November 2009, 14:13
'07 with white wall tyres?

Fuck yeah if that was yours.

That's the one. Ta.

ACC shite or not, we should all meet up like that more often. Where I came from in the North West of the UK there were a couple of places that bikes would head to: Rivington Barn and Devil's Bridge. Both were surrounded by great roads and on a good Sunday the places would be f'kin' heaving!

If yesterday is anything to go by, you have to ask how come we don't do that here?

Molly
1st November 2009, 14:30
Here's a pic from yesterday. Oh, and one from right now of me 'babysitting' whilst the racing is on.

knuckles24
1st November 2009, 15:48
and keep letting the government know that we are not happy, no security guard has the right to stop us protesting it, if no one else here in christchurch is going to step up (yes that means you harley rebel guys and ullyses, stop drinking your latte's and get off your arse and by the way stand over tactics telling me that we are not to make a fuss dosn't work) then i will keep organising things and as yesterday proved there is a lot of people behind me, so if it means organising another protest run then i will do it. :rockon:

dangerous
1st November 2009, 17:52

I heard that this was happening on the 5th Just found the site Its DEC linky thing (http://www.pegasustown.com/leisure/pegasus-golf-and-tennis-club)

there is more than one way in...

been_there
1st November 2009, 17:59
and keep letting the government know that we are not happy, no security guard has the right to stop us protesting it, if no one else here in christchurch is going to step up (yes that means you harley rebel guys and ullyses, stop drinking your latte's and get off your arse and by the way stand over tactics telling me that we are not to make a fuss dosn't work) then i will keep organising things and as yesterday proved there is a lot of people behind me, so if it means organising another protest run then i will do it. :rockon:

Bang on great job on sat!!!!

Rebal
1st November 2009, 18:45
no security guard has the right to stop us protesting it,[/U]

If theres a ACC Protest on, I'll be there in support of other right to protest.

But sorry Knuckles24, Security Officers can stop the protest at the gates of pegasus on state highway one. ONLY if pegasus entry road in on private land.
Acting on behalf of pegasus land owner, security officers can give notice of trespass, under the trespass act 1980 (section 4 and 5) And I would say Police would be on site to enforce it. Fine is not exceeding $1000 or imprisonment not exceeding 3 months and notice is effective for a period of two years.

So if U are going to do something.....KEEP IT OF THE WEB......Keep it to word of mouth between us bikers.

fireliv
1st November 2009, 19:23
But they can't stop us from protesting at the gates and making our presence known, nothing against that

AD345
1st November 2009, 20:11
As far as my HD (and others) riders that wear open lids and fingerless gloves are more than welcom to in my books, but Ill be fucked if I should have to pay to fix them up when I corectly protect my self at my expence.
Only way around it is ya own personal ACC insurance... dont pay it dont get ya fingers stiched back on.

Good one Brainiac

That's the exact argument that ACC is using to increase their levy on motorcycle registrations.

You (and others) need to put your personal hobby horses aside and learn what the real issues are here

Footless
1st November 2009, 21:51
Well done knuckles, wasnt able to make it Saturday, but sounds like it went off well.
Now I'm here will keep my eyes open for any other protest rides.
Are there many going to the Maitai Rally in Nelson next weekend?

ukusa
1st November 2009, 23:02
Saturday was great, well organised, nice slow cruise o Manchester. Lots of support on the street. Loved that bottleneck in the square.

dangerous
2nd November 2009, 05:18
Good one Brainiac

That's the exact argument that ACC is using to increase their levy on motorcycle registrations.

You (and others) need to put your personal hobby horses aside and learn what the real issues are here

Ohh dear... dont tell me you wear fingerless and a open lid :Oops: such a reply tells me you know I have a point.

Have you ever seen the mess of gravel rash to the head or hands... ya hands are the most valable part of you, why the hell would you not look after them? ohhh cos you look so bloody cool with ya pinkies poking out.

Look I said thats fine by me, if you loose ya fingers and ACC has a big pay out so be it I dont need you to wipe my arse cos I have 5 fingers per hand... so if you want to dress like that why would you not want to pay extra acc... I mean insurance?

choppedxs
2nd November 2009, 08:34
I reckon any further protests we need to have banners - shirts with anti National slogans on them so people know what we are protesting about. A lot of people (non bikers of course) wondered what all the bikers were doing in town and just thought it was Biketoberfest related. Need to make the message loud and clear and bring on more protest rides - was awesome riding with so many people. I will bring the loud speaker to the next one so we can relay instructions and make ourselves heard - maybe some noise directed at a certain sports ground on the 5th Dec. Did Ulysses really say we should do nothing? Why? Aren't they also doing a protest ride of their own to Wellington (why they don't just join the other ones is beyond me).
Did anyone else see the TV report this morning that said you are 4 times more likely to crash with a cellphone hands free kit in the car. That puts all owners with these in the same boat as motorcycles - more fuel for potential interviews etc.

knuckles24
2nd November 2009, 16:38
why ulysses in canterbury arn't doing anything about a protest ride here in Christchurch, i had e-mailed them asking for them to attend the one i organised but they wern't that keen, all i have heard is that there is a going to be a protest ride out to pegasus supposably but thats all i have heard, not sure who is doing it or if it is definite.

dangerous
2nd November 2009, 17:35
I reckon... interviews etc. You the guy on then yamy trip that asked to ride with me to the asembly point?

AD345
2nd November 2009, 17:46
Ohh dear... dont tell me you wear fingerless and a open lid :Oops: such a reply tells me you know I have a point.

Have you ever seen the mess of gravel rash to the head or hands... ya hands are the most valable part of you, why the hell would you not look after them? ohhh cos you look so bloody cool with ya pinkies poking out.

Look I said thats fine by me, if you loose ya fingers and ACC has a big pay out so be it I dont need you to wipe my arse cos I have 5 fingers per hand... so if you want to dress like that why would you not want to pay extra acc... I mean insurance?

Tsk.

The point, sonny jim, is about ACC and the direction its being taken in.

The result of that direction, for us, is increased levys.

The reason for the increased levys is because of an ideology in the present government that abhors a universal compensation scheme (which is what ACC IS) and would rather install a personal insurance scheme ( which is what YOU are wobbling on about).

If you want to get rid of ACC in favour of an insurance scheme - more power to ya. Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

If you DO want that - why the fuck are ya protesting??

dangerous
2nd November 2009, 18:46
Tsk.

The point, sonny jim, is about ACC and the direction its being taken in.

The result of that direction, for us, is increased levys.

The reason for the increased levys is because of an ideology in the present government that abhors a universal compensation scheme (which is what ACC IS) and would rather install a personal insurance scheme ( which is what YOU are wobbling on about).

If you want to get rid of ACC in favour of an insurance scheme - more power to ya. Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

If you DO want that - why the fuck are ya protesting??
Look here "sunshine" (heheh ya like that?) thats a beter post than ya last one...
Yeah ya right about the reason for raising the levies it is wrong... but we as riders also have to look at our selves, we need to tidy our act up, dress code being one point.
Shit last w/e as I have said elsewere, I was a cage driver headed to and back from the Greymouth street races (was draging 4 race bikes) the idiots I seen on the road had me on ACC's side 3 accos including a death and thats just the ones I know about, the riding was discusting and all seen by cage drivers... we need to pull our heads in as much as ACC needs theres read.

Oakie
2nd November 2009, 18:55
i have heard is that there is a going to be a protest ride out to pegasus supposably but thats all i have heard, not sure who is doing it or if it is definite.

Don't know if there's much point doing the Pegasus thing anyway especially if security people control access as has been mentioned. Assuming the venue for the opening is the clubhouse, well that's about 600 metres from the road so a bunch of bikers at the gates wouldn't even be noticed unless the plan was to be obstructive at the gates but that wouldn't be too clever with the police and Diplomatic Protection Squad in attendance.

mitsievo
2nd November 2009, 19:05
Don't know if there's much point doing the Pegasus thing anyway especially if security people control access as has been mentioned.

I know atleast one of the security guys is a biker himself, so might not be an issue. I'll find out more though and report back.

AD345
2nd November 2009, 19:06
L
..Yeah ya right about the reason for raising the levies it is wrong... but we as riders also have to look at our selves, we need to tidy our act up, dress code being one point.

Maybe, its certainly a discussion I'm prepared to have at another time and place

BUT

Its got nowt to do with ACC and the levys!

ACC is NOT about risk. INSURANCE is about risk - COMPENSATION is not.

We need to stop falling into this big goddamned hole that has been dug by this govt. AND the last one, about how ACC works.

The principles behind ACC are pretty simple - get injured, get fixed. There's no value judgement applied to the mechanism of injury (or at least there's not supposed to be) - ya just gets fixed.

End of.

Now - sure it would be appropriate for ACC to try to mitigate its potential liability by encouraging people to behave more safely, there's both a societal and financial benefit in that.

BUT - they (ACC) were not ever supposed to treat people differently because of the choices they made.

Thats the WHOLE reason we gave up the right to sue. Believe you me matey, that's no small thing to give up.

But we did.

Unfortunately, over the last 10 - 15 years (since fucking Rogernomics) successive govt.s have played and tweaked and generally fucked around with ACC and drawn it further and further from its original, simple, meaning.

National and ACT are now taking to the logical (in their minds) next step by trying to accelerate the transition from a compensation scheme to an insurance scheme. They didn't start the process but by God they want to finish it.

Don't make biker safety part of this battle - its the wrong approach and it WILL bite everyone on the arse.

Footless
2nd November 2009, 21:23
why ulysses in canterbury arn't doing anything about a protest ride here in Christchurch, i had e-mailed them asking for them to attend the one i organised but they wern't that keen, all i have heard is that there is a going to be a protest ride out to pegasus supposably but thats all i have heard, not sure who is doing it or if it is definite.
I believe ulysses cant are riding from Cashmere Club to The Square, major demonstration (sic) followed by tea and scones (sic)

scumdog
3rd November 2009, 09:48

To extrapolate: :shutup: (heh-heh, couldn't resist!)

Then grey car owners should pay more in ACC since grey cars get hit more than orange ones by people who didn't see them 'cos grey blends in with the back-ground/road etc....:yes:

And my F100 should cost me bugger-all in ACC levy 'cos it's loud and brightly coloured and stands out really well.:blink:

dangerous
3rd November 2009, 16:51
To extrapolate: :shutup: (heh-heh, couldn't resist!)

Then grey car owners should pay more in ACC since grey cars get hit more than orange ones by people who didn't see them 'cos grey blends in with the back-ground/road etc....:yes:

And my F100 should cost me bugger-all in ACC levy 'cos it's loud and brightly coloured and stands out really well.:blink:

no... dont get your point sorry?

scumdog
3rd November 2009, 17:06
no... dont get your point sorry?

Just that some tend to think more at risk = pay more ACC.

dangerous
3rd November 2009, 17:22
Just that some tend to think more at risk = pay more ACC.
well.. why not?
If you insure your truck for market value its proberly $200, but I reckon you have it insured for a good 10k, cos you expect more from your insurance... so if you expect more from your ACC because you choose to ride with ya wee pinkies poking out (all 9 of em) and I wear $340 gloves to protect my we darlings... why should I have to pay as much as you? I would have to hope the carbon fibre and skippys hide would save my skin were as your nakid didgets are history.

ps: I have no issues with those that wear fingerless glovs it is their choice.

scumdog
3rd November 2009, 20:00
well.. why not?
If you insure your truck for market value its proberly $200, but I reckon you have it insured for a good 10k, cos you expect more from your insurance... so if you expect more from your ACC because you choose to ride with ya wee pinkies poking out (all 9 of em) and I wear $340 gloves to protect my we darlings... why should I have to pay as much as you? I would have to hope the carbon fibre and skippys hide would save my skin were as your nakid didgets are history.

ps: I have no issues with those that wear fingerless glovs it is their choice.

Where would it stop? - if I got a bike with ABS, wore full armour all the time etc would you expect me to get a discount on my ACC levy???

dangerous
3rd November 2009, 20:32
Where would it stop? - if I got a bike with ABS, wore full armour all the time etc would you expect me to get a discount on my ACC levy???

yes you should...

scumdog
3rd November 2009, 20:53
yes you should...

But that's not the way it works D.

After all, how do you figure it all out - I may ony do 500km a year in my pudding-bowl helmet and fingerless gloves on my plodding H-D (for example) and you might do 15,000km a year fully kitted up on your modified R1.

How do you figure out who should pay the most?

TygerTung
3rd November 2009, 22:44
Who's going to wellington? I am, maybe there could be some kind of ACC protest convoy?

I have ordered a klingon protest high vis vest and flac and armband and 2 decal kits so I'll be all kitted up!

Jantar
4th November 2009, 04:48
Who's going to wellington? I am, maybe there could be some kind of ACC protest convoy?

I have ordered a klingon protest high vis vest and flac and armband and 2 decal kits so I'll be all kitted up!

The riders from Central and further south are meeting at the Shell Station Belfast at 08:00 on the 16th.

imdying
4th November 2009, 14:01
After all, how do you figure it all out - I may ony do 500km a year in my pudding-bowl helmet and fingerless gloves on my plodding H-D (for example) and you might do 15,000km a year fully kitted up on your modified R1.

How do you figure out who should pay the most?Those that do more miles pay a greater levy through the ACC tax collected via petrol.

He's talking about a discount on the base tax for those willing to take extra measures to protect themselves. Fine in concept, but wouldn't work as just because somebody has the gear (is it even their gear?) on the day of paying their tax, do they even use it? Same reason why the WOF system is retarded.

peasea
4th November 2009, 17:48
yes you should...

Blind curiosity; what colour is your bike?

knuckles24
4th November 2009, 18:24
for some ideas for another protest ride, the thread will be called christchurch bikers 2, see you on the flip side

peasea
4th November 2009, 18:59
yes you should...

Well following that train of thought you should pay extra for riding a black bike. I deem that you pay $1500 p/a and I'll ride for free.

dangerous
4th November 2009, 19:37
Well following that train of thought you should pay extra for riding a black bike. I deem that you pay $1500 p/a and I'll ride for free.

hehehe... yeah I through a few comments in to find a response or two. I know such an idea wouldnt work, but why do you pick on black? red is infact a harder colour to see!
And just for another spin at my outstandingly dumb idea, ya insure a Subaru and it costs more, put an alame in it and the premium drops. so ride nakid and ya prem goes up, wear nickers and a bra and you get a discount. :headbang:

peasea
4th November 2009, 19:51
hehehe... yeah I through a few comments in to find a response or two. I know such an idea wouldnt work, but why do you pick on black? red is infact a harder colour to see!
And just for another spin at my outstandingly dumb idea, ya insure a Subaru and it costs more, put an alame in it and the premium drops. so ride nakid and ya prem goes up, wear nickers and a bra and you get a discount. :headbang:

Kevlar knickers only.

Red is harder to see huh? That'll explain all the 'red light runners' in the big smokes. And speaking of smoke, why do they paint fire engines red? People must crash into them all the time.

dangerous
4th November 2009, 19:58
Red is harder to see huh? That'll explain all the 'red light runners' in the big smokes. And speaking of smoke, why do they paint fire engines red? People must crash into them all the time.I duno... just something I was told/learnt a long time ago and it stuck, maybe it was refering to dim lighting or the colour blind...

choppedxs
5th November 2009, 09:22
Hey dangerous. Yeah that was me you showed the way to. Cheers for that.

Baldy
10th November 2009, 20:13
and as many pushbikes as m/bikes have accidents but they dont pay any thing,but there are cycle tracks,special road markings,controlled traffic lights, for push bikes all free, plus riding on footpaths and anywhere they dam well like, baldy

Oakie
11th November 2009, 09:23
Red is harder to see huh? That'll explain all the 'red light runners' in the big smokes. And speaking of smoke, why do they paint fire engines red? People must crash into them all the time.

I heard that too. It refers to night time visibility. Red is fine in the day but is pretty much black at night. This is why fire engines in some countries are yellow ... hi viz at night.

Rhubarb
11th November 2009, 12:20
The Classic and Vintage motorcycling fraternity have organised a protest ride in Christchurch.

I have just received a VCC newsletter. It says .............

5th December - Protest Motorcycle Ride over ACC increases to bike registrations. Meet at the Peg Hotel, Belfast then ride out to Pegasus where John Key will be opening the new golf course.

It doesn't say what time.

knuckles24
11th November 2009, 16:44
who told them that john key is going to be there, i found out that he is not going to be there. there is a couple of us who is trying to put together another protest ride on the 12th, do you have an e-mail address for these guys so i can get in contact with them.

fireliv
11th November 2009, 16:53
who told them that john key is going to be there, i found out that he is not going to be there. there is a couple of us who is trying to put together another protest ride on the 12th, do you have an e-mail address for these guys so i can get in contact with them.

I'm getting married in Kaikoura next month and was talking to the organiser of the winery where the ceremony is. They said that they have John Key coming for dinner that week..... so I reckon he will be there!

peasea
11th November 2009, 17:23
I heard that too. It refers to night time visibility. Red is fine in the day but is pretty much black at night. This is why fire engines in some countries are yellow ... hi viz at night.

That would make more sense but hey, this is NZ right?

Maybe they paint cop cars white coz they're full of motherfuckers! Who knows?

SMOKEU
15th November 2009, 22:43
What's happening next weekend people?

NighthawkNZ
15th November 2009, 22:46
What's happening next weekend people?

Magpie Madness bike rally :scratch:

Rhubarb
16th November 2009, 09:05

Sorry, I went away riding for the weekend so I didn't see your post until this morning.

Try bankspeninsula@vcc.org.nz