PDA

View Full Version : Something to consider...

motorbyclist
15th October 2009, 02:28
The proposal is patently ridiculous, and as I see it, three things are possible here:

ACC really is that retarded, and judging by some of the other retarded ideas they were taking submissions on this may well be the case...
This is solely to get us discussing the issues possibly in the hope we find a fair and equitable solution.
This is just priming us for yet another massive hike, which falls short of $500 but still leaves us shelling out $400 for a rego, and we'll all be sooooo grateful that ACC was kind enough to lower their levy for us:rolleyes:

What do you guys reckon?

Ice_Monsta
15th October 2009, 06:49
I'm wondering, what do people think of the idea of ACC running as a more insurance style scheme?

If you are an at risk age rider then you pay more - if you have an accident you pay more, but on the other side, if you are a no claims rider you get better prices.

I also think that instead of changing the ACC prices, they could increase the difficulty involved in getting a NZ driver license.
I was in the AA booking my restricted when an asian lady was using her son to translate to the AA staff member, and then because she couldn't read, she was asked to DRAW the things she saw in the eye test! Just an example, I think it is far to easy to get licenses in NZ. In the UK I think theres something like a three day course involving theory and practical before you can sit for your license. That would stop a lot of incapable people being on the road and ending up claiming ACC.

Just a couple thoughts I had :Playnice:

XP@
15th October 2009, 10:54
Maybe they just like bikes and think it is about time we organise another mass ride so they can watch it...

motorbyclist
15th October 2009, 13:07
unfortunately ACC and LTSA are two different groups who don't seem to talk to each other....

There are two inherent problems with no claims:

If a cage knocked you off, is it their claim or yours? Currently it's yours, and you'd be losing the no claims for someone else's fuckup. ie, no claims introduces the need to assess fault.

People wouldn't claim for fear of losing the no claims. If they still go get the Xray to see if their wrist is broken, and use their wallet if it isn't, then that's fine, but many people would simply not see the doctor and end up with a crippled wrist (drain on economy) or an expensive avoidable surgery (bigger bill that what would have occurred otherwise)

Coldrider
15th October 2009, 13:19
ACC are not interested in the cause of the accident, car or bike, just the cost of restoring mcyclist to original condition.
How do over 601cc motorcycles cause more serious injuries if everyone is keeping to the road rules?
If pleebes on larger motorcycles are doing bigger speeds, that's a policing problem, not an ACC problem.
The easy option for ACC is to price us off the road, which they are taking.

Coldrider
15th October 2009, 13:21
10 years ago we were protesting at a discussed $1 per CC hike.

Ixion
15th October 2009, 13:23
ACC are not interested in the cause of the accident, car or bike, just the cost of restoring mcyclist to original condition.
How do over 601cc motorcycles cause more serious injuries if everyone is keeping to the road rules?
If pleebes on larger motorcycles are doing bigger speeds, that's a policing problem, not an ACC problem.
The easy option for ACC is to price us off the road, which they are taking.

Perhaps because 600+ bikes spend longer on the open road (therefore higher speeds, bigger ouchies) , whereas little bikes spend most time in 50kph areas?

motorbyclist
15th October 2009, 13:46

Yes, and from what i've garnered so far the problem isn't us, it's how ACC works that is the problem here.

10 years ago we were protesting at a discussed $1 per CC hike.

the sad thing is that going from $1 to $2 a day to own a motorcycle is still cheaper than catching a bus or parking a car...

Coldrider
15th October 2009, 14:04
Perhaps because 600+ bikes spend longer on the open road (therefore higher speeds, bigger ouchies) , whereas little bikes spend most time in 50kph areas?
I quoted everyone keeping to the road rules, that is 100kph for all.
And the expected ride areas & the time utilisations belong to the riders, not the motorcycle itself.