PDA

View Full Version : One in, all in. Would you take the hit as a team?

-BW-
15th October 2009, 05:00
Classifying Fees by engine capacity is completely ridiculous, motorcyclists travel to the same speed limits. Riders of smaller capacity bikes are not afforded a greater degree of protection than larger bikes and will suffer the same injuries as any other.
Engine size has no relevance whatsoever on a riders ability to ride safely, the likelhood/frequency of accidents or the injuries that result.
If anything, riders of smaller capacity bikes are more likely to be novices, and wearing less protective gear.. Im looking at you scooter jockeys..
If the potential for absorbing this increase was to spread the cost evenly across all motorcycle classes, how do you guys with smaller machines feel about it? Do you think it would be fair?

Maki
15th October 2009, 06:33
Classifying Fees by engine capacity is completely ridiculous, motorcyclists travel to the same speed limits. Riders of smaller capacity bikes are not afforded a greater degree of protection than larger bikes and will suffer the same injuries as any other.
Engine size has no relevance whatsoever on a riders ability to ride safely, the likelhood/frequency of accidents or the injuries that result.
If anything, riders of smaller capacity bikes are more likely to be novices, and wearing less protective gear.. Im looking at you scooter jockeys..
If the potential for absorbing this increase was to spread the cost evenly across all motorcycle classes, how do you guys with smaller machines feel about it? Do you think it would be fair?

Yea, I bet there are lots of 250 riders who can't wait to fork out $$$ for people hooning around on gixxer thous.

ital916
15th October 2009, 06:35
Yea, I bet there are lots of 250 riders who can't wait to fork out $$$ for people hooning around on gixxer thous.

Until they get said gixxer thou.

The Baron
15th October 2009, 06:46
Thanks -BW- . An interesting piont:

rainman
15th October 2009, 06:51

You seem to have already accepted the "necessity" for this fee increase. That point has yet to be proven by the gubbermint, at least to my satisfaction.

slofox
15th October 2009, 07:07
BW - you make a very valid point. There are many machines under 601cc that will out-perform bigger bikes. As you say, it makes no sense to categorize by capacity. It would make more sense to categorize by power to weight ratio if that has to be done.

Personally I think it should be equalized across the board - as you say, the risk is the same regardless of capacity.

Failing that, I could sell the 645cc SVS and buy a 599cc R6 that would give me about 50% more power...now that makes sense dunnit?

My second point relates to ACC's internal costs. Just what proportion of their turnover is consumed internally? In the case of the "sensitive claims" unit, they gobble up $8.00 for every $1.00 that therapists get paid. How efficient is that?

Maki
15th October 2009, 07:15
BW - you make a very valid point. There are many machines under 601cc that will out-perform bigger bikes. As you say, it makes no sense to categorize by capacity. It would make more sense to categorize by power to weight ratio if that has to be done.

Personally I think it should be equalized across the board - as you say, the risk is the same regardless of capacity.

Failing that, I could sell the 645cc SVS and buy a 599cc R6 that would give me about 50% more power...now that makes sense dunnit?

My second point relates to ACC's internal costs. Just what proportion of their turnover is consumed internally? In the case of the "sensitive claims" unit, they gobble up $8.00 for every $1.00 that therapists get paid. How efficient is that?

Nonsense! It has 46cc more so it MUST be more powerful and exponentially more dangerous. The R6 barely has enough power to get me up hills when the Wellington breeze is blowing. :mad:

ready4whatever
15th October 2009, 07:38
You reckon the bigger bikes that crash more are those harleys that motorcycle gangsters ride? always hearing how they crash while pissed. wearing a helmet designed for a nazi soldier rather than to protect the head