PDA

View Full Version : Stats for submissions

Mully
15th October 2009, 08:34
If anyone wants to know, according to http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/statistics/motor-vehicle-registration/docs/2008.pdf

There were 75140 motorcycles and mopeds registered as of June 2008.

If anyone has any more stats to put into submissions, please feel free to add them.

Naki Rat
15th October 2009, 08:56
Another bit of resource material to include in your submission:
Ministry of Economic Development - Duties, Taxes and Direct Levies on Motor Fuels in NZ (http://www.med.govt.nz/templates/Page____12961.aspx)

Marmoot
15th October 2009, 08:58
Anybody has stats on ACC cost for:
- cyclists
- horse riding -related accidents
- weekend sports (rugby, etc)

Bonus if you can find out:
- the cost of rehabilitation for the above category
- What portion of the above category is given to non-wage-earners

Neon
15th October 2009, 09:02
http://www.acc.co.nz/about-acc/statistics/acc-injury-statistics-2008/index.htm

Stats on claims in 2008

Trudes
15th October 2009, 09:11
The stats on injuries while "fighting" and "eating, drinking" are "interesting"....
I think this is the page that is probably the most relevant http://www.acc.co.nz/about-acc/statistics/acc-injury-statistics-2008/20-sport-claims/IS0800367

Naki Rat
15th October 2009, 09:24
As previously posted elsewhere on KB, and hotly debated at the time:

MOT 2008 Motorcycle crash stat's (http://www.transport.govt.nz/research/Pages/motorcyclecrashfacts.aspx)

mowgli
15th October 2009, 09:27
Is there someone in the industry who could provide sales figures for road versus off-road bikes. Would be useful in extrapolating how many non-registered bikes there are in use.

Eddieb
15th October 2009, 09:37
http://www.acc.co.nz/about-acc/statistics/acc-injury-statistics-2008/8-motor-vehicle-account/IS0800143

Are these the statistics ACC use?

MSTRS
15th October 2009, 09:44
Does it really matter where they get their stats from? The only important stats to me, is mine...and they say I'm a contributor only.

NighthawkNZ
15th October 2009, 09:47
Does it really matter where they get their stats from? The only important stats to me, is mine...and they say I'm a contributor only.

what about my stats... 25 years no ACC claim...

Naki Rat
15th October 2009, 10:02
Diesel does not carry an ACC component in its pump price (http://www.med.govt.nz/templates/Page____12961.aspx) as this is included in the RUCs. Does anybody have info on this amount?

MSTRS
15th October 2009, 10:05
what I about my stats... 25 years no ACC claim...

From m/c or other vehicle? Or in totality?
Me - 36 years = no vehicle claim. And only stitches (twice) from other reasons.

Ixion
15th October 2009, 10:11
If anyone wants to know, according to http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/statistics/motor-vehicle-registration/docs/2008.pdf

There were 75140 motorcycles and mopeds registered as of June 2008.

If anyone has any more stats to put into submissions, please feel free to add them.

??? According to that document (page 65) there were 28756 mopeds in the fleet and 101457 motorbikes. A total of 129213 (I think)

NighthawkNZ
15th October 2009, 10:13
From m/c or other vehicle? Or in totality?
Me - 36 years = no vehicle claim. And only stitches (twice) from other reasons.

Total... none zip, nada

So my PAYE ACC, rego fee's, and fuel ACC have being paying for every one else... if I have a accident tomorrow I want my 25 years share worth...

(Touch wood)

dogsnbikes
15th October 2009, 10:19
Some more for the fight

Re: submissions against the ACC levis
Wed, October 14, 2009 2:21:57 PMFrom: Kerry - Triple Fourensics <kerry@triplefourensics.co.nz>View Card
To: Barry Shipp <dogsnbikes95@yahoo.co.nz>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Barry, have had a look at that. May have some info here for you to add to the thread:
I have just put my hands on the latest copy of "Yearly Report 2009-MOTOR VEHICLE CRASHES IN NEW ZEALAND 2008"
This document is issued by the Ministry of Transport, and prepared by Transport Monitoring. It contains statistical information right back to 1951.
I read through most of it's 160 pages last night. The statistics regarding motorcycle accidents are interesting to say the least. I really don't know where ACC are getting their information to support such a massive increase in Levies.
Motorcyclists are constantly portrayed in the media as dangerous and high risk road users. Yet the statistics state otherwise. The "trend" regarding accidents and fatalities is showing motorcycling as becoming safer than almost anytime back to the dark days of the 70's & 80's. Admittedly, the years 2006 to 2008 show a rise in crashes, though, motorcycle registrations have nearly doubled since 2003.
The document also shows the major causes of accidents, interestingly, GiveWay intersections, Nose to Tail, Car driver distraction (cigarettes,radio,glovebox etc), cell phones, rain & drivers falling asleep at the wheel.

Although the stat's give each year from '51-'08, here are some examples:
In Section 4, pages 68 & 69: 'Motorcycle Casualties And Crashes year ending 31st December 2008'

1951 with 24,779 bikes on the road, 1125 crashes,1117 injured,47 killed (inc pillions)
1961 " 41,689 " , 1742 crashes,1629 injured,43 killed " "
1971 " 56,441 " , 2668 crashes,2911 injured,52 killed " "
1981 " 132,730 " , 3273 crashes,3376 injured,116 killed (the heyday period of pillions)
1991 " 72,676 " , 1963 crashes,2061 injured,78 killed (inc pillions)
2001 " 57,836 " , 658 crashes,669 injured,35 killed " "
2008 " 96,952 " , 1378 crashes,1396 injured,50 killed " "

If you compare the figures of 1971 and 1991, motorcycling is indeed trending towards safer. Yet ACC are increasing levies disproportionately. Bare in mind also, that the bikes we ride now are bigger and faster and many heavier than ever before!
The document also covers cyclists.....their statistics are quite alarming, and generally based on car drivers causing the accident.
The number one cause of motorcycle accidents based on the statistics, that is indeed our fault is RIDER SKILL. The two main factors being 'new rider' and 'cornering'.
The same statistics are mimicked in relation to car drivers, 'new driver' and 'cornering'.
And what causes most motorcycle accidents........CARS AT INTERSECTIONS
Another VERY interesting statistic........

MSTRS
15th October 2009, 10:23
... if I have a accident tomorrow I want my 25 years share worth...

Good luck with that. They'll find any way they can to shaft you there as well.

NighthawkNZ
15th October 2009, 10:25
Good luck with that. They'll find any way they can to shaft you there as well.

i know...i know...:(

Genestho
15th October 2009, 10:26
Number and Cost of New and Active Accepted ACC Fatals Claims (http://www.acc.co.nz/about-acc/statistics/acc-injury-statistics-2008/21-fatal-claims/IS0800379) by vehicle type

Sports Injuries (includes Motorcycling) ACC Claims (http://www.acc.co.nz/about-acc/statistics/acc-injury-statistics-2008/20-sport-claims/IS0800368) by Sport/Injury/Claim

Maki
15th October 2009, 10:37
New claims 2007 - 2008

Home: 39,527

Sports: 26,505

Motor vehicle: 6,074

New claims arising from road accidents are and order of magnitude less than those arising from people mucking around at home... Maybe there should be an ACC levy on home owners....

Genestho
15th October 2009, 10:41
ACC Claims (http://www.acc.co.nz/about-acc/statistics/acc-injury-statistics-2008/8-motor-vehicle-account/IS0800143) By Motor Vehicle Account

Mully
15th October 2009, 10:42
??? According to that document (page 65) there were 28756 mopeds in the fleet and 101457 motorbikes. A total of 129213 (I think)

Hmm, I got my figure from earlier in the document.

Please use Ixions number - cos it's higher.

EDIT: Ahh, I see what happened. I was using "registered" (Licenced) and you were using "total fleet"

Marmoot
15th October 2009, 10:51
http://www.acc.co.nz/about-acc/statistics/acc-injury-statistics-2008/index.htm

Stats on claims in 2008

Thanks.
Insights 1: there is substantial amount being spent on things such as Netball, Soccer and Rugby yet they are not treated equally as Motorcycling.

Insights 2: why is Motorcycling in sport section whereas they should have been on transport section?

Insights 3: the most spenders (including motorcross) are non-ACC-paying activities.

James Deuce
15th October 2009, 10:57
Insights 2: why is Motorcycling in sport section whereas they should have been on transport section?

Because they're not included in the National transport plan. This is what I was pushing for people to respond to the the recent submissions in regard to road safety with.

Road safety for motorcycles and motorcyclists can't be improved until they are regarded as worthwhile transport and therefore worthwhile investing in road improvements and safety initiatives for.

They weren't included in the last Census as a commuter transport option, remember?

Naki Rat
15th October 2009, 10:57
Diesel does not carry an ACC component in its pump price (http://www.med.govt.nz/templates/Page____12961.aspx) as this is included in the RUCs. Does anybody have info on this amount?

This is unbelieveable. I have just spoken to the ACC helpdesk regarding what the ACC component of Road User Charges is.... Their answer:

THERE IS NO ACC IN RUCs !

A diesel vehicle pays ACC as part of its annual registration fee but nothing further. For example the ACC component (http://www.acc.co.nz/news/PRD_CTRB091172) of a diesel truck's rego (Class #9) is $268.92 and that is the total of their ACC levy payment.

Shagz
15th October 2009, 11:00
Wait,

Number of Active Claims/ Cost of Claims = Average Claim Total

Then for the 2007-07/2008-06 period

Car Average = $24426.01
Motorcycle Average = $19704.70

I must be missing something. :wacko:

Supermac Jr
15th October 2009, 11:04
Thanks.
Insights 1: there is substantial amount being spent on things such as Netball, Soccer and Rugby yet they are not treated equally as Motorcycling.

There is a similar table (with different figures/values) so premuably they split the 'sports' and 'transport' components. Presumably the sport part relates to track events and off-road. Not sure...

James Deuce
15th October 2009, 11:16
There is a similar table (with different figures/values) so premuably they split the 'sports' and 'transport' components. Presumably the sport part relates to track events and off-road. Not sure...
No they don't because motorcycles aren't regarded as transport and aren't included in the transport plan. All accidents are sports accidents.

Ixion
15th October 2009, 13:06
No they don't because motorcycles aren't regarded as transport and aren't included in the transport plan. All accidents are sports accidents.

No, that can't be, because the total cost for 2008 under the 'sports' section, for motorcycling, is only $7million odd. The rest are under 'Motor vehicle account' 'Driving-passenger -motorcycle' $62 million odd.

But - what I just noticed, which is really important.

That table shows , 2008 number of NEW claims 1336. Total active claims 3173. The difference being the residual claims OR claims still active in 2008, but incurred since 1999 (when they moved to full funding), and before 2008.

Now, the 1999-2007 claims should have been funded from the money put aside in those years. So they shouldn't be in 2008 at all. And if the difference (3173 - 1336) relates to residual claims, then more than half our levy relates to old claims. And the government has now said they can take to 2019 to fund those. Which they are ignoring for motorcycles

kathyw
15th October 2009, 13:49
So Statistics don't lie - Using data from ACC
http://www.acc.co.nz/about-acc/statistics/acc-injury-statistics-2008/8-motor-vehicle-account/IS0800143

Did you know that between 2006/2007 and 2007/2008 that the cost per active claim for car injurys increased by 9.52% while the cost per active claim for motorbikes increased by only 5.55%

Cycling 5.57%
Driving/Passenger--Bus 11.80%
Driving/Passenger--Car 9.52%
Driving/Passenger--Motorcycle 5.55%
Driving/Passenger--Other Veh 6.25%
Driving/Passenger--Truck 18.74%
Other 11.06%
Pedestrian 13.30%
Unknown -0.12%

I have the data - I have done the math - so wouldn't it be fairer if the increase in Levies reflected the increase in costs per claim. Personally I would love to be unknown.

fireliv
15th October 2009, 13:51
And that "Motorcycle" stat also includes scooters who are getting an increase that is well overdue in my opinion......

YellowDog
15th October 2009, 14:16
And that "Motorcycle" stat also includes scooters who are getting an increase that is well overdue in my opinion......
The scooter argument is quite interesting.

I have seen with amazement just how fast some <200cc scooters can accelerate and attempt corners with those little wheels.

When compared with something like a Boulevard M50 with an 800cc motor, the vehicle most likely to cause a drain on ACC resources is quite clear (and it ain’t the cruiser)

mossy1200
15th October 2009, 14:19
The scooter argument is quite interesting.

I have seen with amazement just how fast some <200cc scooters can accelerate and attempt corners with those little wheels.

When compared with something like a Boulevard M50 with an 800cc motor, the vehicle most likely to cause a drain on ACC resources is quite clear (and it ain’t the cruiser)

If this splits into smaller groups trying to defend their ride we all lose.

NZJONESY
15th October 2009, 14:19
I hate ACC, Just wait till the media realizes they are located in one of the most expensive office buildings in Wellington.

AllanB
15th October 2009, 14:28
Hang on - your stats state the cost per active claim rose by .....%

To consider this correctly in relationship to ACC you need to know what was the average cost of claims per category.
eg

say the average cost for cars was $100 per claim and it rose 9.5% to $109.50

Motorcycles may have a average claim cost of $250 per claim ......... which I believe was ACC's point - we are a lot more expensive than other road users per claim per road user.

Stuffed either way as ACC have expressed a dislike of motorcycle before and I see little reason to believe they will change their opinions.

Ixion
15th October 2009, 14:32
Hang about. I just has another look at those ACC figures and compared them to MoT stats.

Now, for bikes, ACC claim figures pretty much match MoT

Motorcycles

Riders :............48 killed, 430 serious injury, 884 minor : total 1362
Passengers.........2............26................ ......56....................47

Grand total 1409. ACC claim 1336 claims. So maybe a few of the minor injuries didn't claim.

But cars/suvs/taxis/trucks, lumped together the same way , gives 12066 killed or injured, according to MoT. ACC show only 3658 claims? Wot gives .

Now, this doesn't actually matter as far as the ACC cost goes. ACC paid whatever ACC paid.

But , it DOES give the lie to the interminable "Motorcycles are 16 times more dangerous" claim.

Since, according to MoT figures, there were 3308930 cars/SUV/taxis/van/trucks in the fleet in 2008. And 12066 injuries . One injury/fatality per 274 vehicles

And, 130213 motorcycles/mopeds. With 1409 injuries. One per 92 bikes . Worse than cars, sure, we all know that. But the true ratio is about 1:3 not 1:16.

So bikes are "only" 3 times as dangerous. NOT 16 times.

Oakie
15th October 2009, 14:38
What I can't figure out is how they arrived at the cc gradings for the three levels of levy. As far as I know, ACC don't actually capture any information about the cc rating of bikes involved in accidents so what are they basing it on? Anecdotal evidence?

kathyw
15th October 2009, 14:46
ACC Levy Statistics
So Statistics don't lie - Using data from ACC
http://www.acc.co.nz/about-acc/stati...ount/IS0800143

Did you know that between 2006/2007 and 2007/2008 that the cost per active claim for car injurys increased by 9.52% while the cost per active claim for motorbikes increased by only 5.55%

Cycling 5.57%
Driving/Passenger--Bus 11.80%
Driving/Passenger--Car 9.52%
Driving/Passenger--Motorcycle 5.55%
Driving/Passenger--Other Veh 6.25%
Driving/Passenger--Truck 18.74%
Other 11.06%
Pedestrian 13.30%
Unknown -0.12%

I have the data - I have done the math - so wouldn't it be fairer if the increase in Levies reflected the increase in costs per claim. Personally I would love to be unknown.

Exodus
15th October 2009, 15:05
ACC may not collect those stats, but NZTA do:

http://www.transport.govt.nz/research/Documents/Motorcycle-Crash-Factsheet.pdf

pzkpfw
15th October 2009, 15:16
What I can't figure out is how they arrived at the cc gradings for the three levels of levy. As far as I know, ACC don't actually capture any information about the cc rating of bikes involved in accidents so what are they basing it on? Anecdotal evidence?

It's simply from registration stats.

A related thing is that this is why it's considered "too hard" to do it by power-to-weight ratio or something (as even the A.A. suggested).

...this issue is that cc is pretty simple and not often wrong, but model information is much more dodgy - and that's what their computers would need to use to look up the correct fee.

So my 100HP or so Z750S will cost more than some GSXRRRRRR600. Oh well...

SuperSonic
15th October 2009, 15:27
ACC may not collect those stats, but NZTA do:

http://www.transport.govt.nz/research/Documents/Motorcycle-Crash-Factsheet.pdf

Wow this link is very interesting read, it makes some of what ACC are claiming to be total crap. If this happens alot of people will be saling there bikes and younger bikers will not start due to costs. it will be the end of motorbikeing as we know it.

Squiggles
15th October 2009, 15:35

Time for a few information act requests... The documents they give refer to how it is done in Victoria and Tasmania (see attachment), but no NZ figures are given that i can see.

kathyw
15th October 2009, 15:50
My point (more than anything else) is that you can make the statistics work for you if you are so inclined. (AND I AM)

Also I am yet to find anywhere the costs on cost of injury per accident for car and motorbike. My Point is a 7 seater people mover has the potential to cause injury to 7+ people (the + being if a two vehicle accident). Chances of a motorcycle causing injury to more than 2 people (rider and pillion) is very remote. So - maybe registration should also be calcualted on the potential total cost of injury per accident

Mwahaha

AllanB
15th October 2009, 16:18
Your points are valid but ACC's concern, and a real one, is the rate of accidents per users by motorcyclists - if their statement is to be believed you as a motorcyclists are 18 times more likely to have a accident than that 7 seater ugly-car.
Consequently you are a high risk and must be rogered violently through your wallet. :buggerd:

Personally I'd prefer a road user charge system based on kms travelled as I only do about 6,000 per annum on the bike which from April fools day next year will cost me around 14 cents per km in rego. :weep:

My Hornet will be parked up with rego on hold for 3-4 months over winter I think.

Watch the sale of battery-tenders sky rocket next winter!!!!!!

Pedrostt500
15th October 2009, 16:18
I'm getting a little sick of statistics, I would like to hear some good honest factual numbers, of road users as a whole, then a break down into each group, I would like to have SUVs seperated from cars etc.
In fact it would be good to see the raw data, and look at each individual road accident, and include factors of each accident, ie road conditions, speed, Car vs Car, Car vs Bike, car vs object etc.
If it moves on NZ roads, from pedestrians to huge machinery and is involved in an accident, then it should be included in the data, no slant from any ones perspective.

I wold like to know the total numbers of accidents on NZ roads for each year, regardless what it was or who was at fault.
I would like to know the total number of fatalties, and injuries, for each year.
I would then like to see the above information broken down into sub groups,
Pedstrian, Cyclists, Motorcycle / Scooter, Car / SUV, Bus, Light truck, Heavey Truck, Heavey Machinery, Other. Then put together the A vs B list.
Percentages don't mean anything, 100% of people born in 1890 are dead.

Ixion
15th October 2009, 16:24
Your points are valid but ACC's concern, and a real one, is the rate of accidents per users by motorcyclists - if their statement is to be believed you as a motorcyclists are 18 times more likely to have a accident than that 7 seater ugly-car.

No! Not true. See this (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=1129459238&postcount=21)post. More likely, true, but only 3 times. Not 18. They lied. According to MoT figures.

AllanB
15th October 2009, 16:27
No! Not true. See this (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=1129459238&postcount=21)post. More likely, true, but only 3 times. Not 18. They lied. According to MoT figures.

Good call - sad thing is at 3 times more likely the indicated ACC costs they want us to pay would be about 3 times what I'd pay on my car rego ...... so proportionally correct?????? :mad:

Ixion
15th October 2009, 16:30
Probably is, which maybe validates the numbers. Though I'd trust them, being from MoT who are 'neutral'

Hiflyer
15th October 2009, 16:37
Probably is, which maybe validates the numbers. Though I'd trust them, being from MoT who are 'neutral'

Is there such a thing in Govt run departments?
I really dont know what to do if the figures stay, now its actually cheaper to run a car. I'm starting my pilots training in january, I wont be able to afford it :(

it really is running us off the roads, even if it isnt intentional

Mom
15th October 2009, 16:37
If this splits into smaller groups trying to defend their ride we all lose.

Here, here! Give that man a gold star. Look this is not the time to pull out the us against them card amongst ourselves. We all ride bikes, the off road unregistered riders can appreciate our pain, even if they are really pleased it is not them.

However, I think that they will understand also that it wont be too long until they find a way to get them to pay a levy too, perhaps at purchase time?

We are getting potentially hammered at the moment, the more noise we make against it the better it will be, the more time will be spent finding alternatives.

Imagine this if you will...

All player members that join a sports club, whether it be a rugby club, a football club, a pony club, an athletics club, a gymnastics club, a what ever you can imagine club get slammed with an ACC levy for the season to cover any potential claims that will be made to ACC for injury. Imagine the outcry!

But that is just and fair as far as I am concerned. I have ridden bikes for better than 30 years and have NEVER made a claim for cover under ACC for a bkie related injury, I have however made the odd claim for twisting a knee playing badminton etc, I once broke my cruciate ligament rounding up sheep too :pinch: Why the hell should I penalised for the misfortune of others?

Expecting us (not just bikers here for a minute) to pay to fund the shorfall in residual payments like we do is frankly outrageous!

rok-the-boat
15th October 2009, 19:08
Hang on - your stats state the cost per active claim rose by .....%

To consider this correctly in relationship to ACC you need to know what was the average cost of claims per category.
eg

say the average cost for cars was $100 per claim and it rose 9.5% to $109.50

Motorcycles may have a average claim cost of $250 per claim ......... which I believe was ACC's point - we are a lot more expensive than other road users per claim per road user.

Stuffed either way as ACC have expressed a dislike of motorcycle before and I see little reason to believe they will change their opinions.
Sorry for the double posting - I posted this elsewhere - but I want to state this:

I saw some stats somewhere - from the USA - that showed most motorcycle accidents are caused by cars. If cars cause the accidents, they should be paying, not motorcycles. Also, more people need to be persuaded to get on bikes - they are cheaper, more efficient etc. Also, my bike is insured, therefore, I should pay less of a fee anyway. Finally, the reason ACC are in deep dodahs is because of their own mismanagement - they need to sort themselves out and become more efficient. Stop putting ads in newspapers and printing lavish brochures - we need none of that.

wolf.47
15th October 2009, 19:59
Dose Acc consider all motorcycles into there stats, e.g like someone injuring them self on a dirt bike used on the beach or something
Or are they just going on Road Reg Bikes

Pedrostt500
15th October 2009, 21:08
I remember reading a PDF in a post a year or so back, so did a bit of a search, and managed to find it, not sure if I can set a link up to get back to it. It was posted by Paul in NZ on 18 November 2008, titled Accident report.
Was hoping I could set up a link to the PDF but I'm to Thick to do it, would one of you computer Gurus help out, thanks.

Pedrostt500
15th October 2009, 21:18
147024this time

chanceyy
15th October 2009, 21:36
I remember reading a PDF in a post a year or so back, so did a bit of a search, and managed to find it, not sure if I can set a link up to get back to it. It was posted by Paul in NZ on 18 November 2008, titled Accident report.
Was hoping I could set up a link to the PDF but I'm to Thick to do it, would one of you computer Gurus help out, thanks.

I figure your talking about this thread (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=86447)

and reattached Motorcycle crash factsheet ... hope thats what you were looking for Pedro .. ;)

Nick from the nick
15th October 2009, 21:53
Just a thought how come the ACC bosses get a nice pay rise for mismanaging where i come from the prats should have had a pay cut:mad:

FastBikeGear
16th October 2009, 09:43
To add the excellent statistics already posted here...http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=110116

The following statistics were gathered from here http://www.acc.co.nz/about-acc/statistics/acc-injury-statistics-2008/index.htm

Road claim costs. Total $413,001,000

7 biggest contributors

ATV $173,000
Cycling $15,543,000
Bus driver/passenger $1,334,000
Driving Passenger car $208,343,000
Motorcycle $62,545,000
Pedestrian $28,472,000
Truck $15,639,000

Sports claim costs. Total $220,152

5 biggest contributors.

Rugby Union and rugby league $50,689,000
Motorcycling & Trail biking & motorcross $15,397,000
Netball $11,496,000
Cycling $10,447,000
Swimming $10,055,000

Tony
16th October 2009, 09:49
Here's some more interesting statistics. Source http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/2969254/Researcher-criticises-motorbike-levy-logic

Crash figures are being wrongly used to back large ACC levy increases for motorcyclists, a leading researcher says.

Lincoln University Associate Professor Charles Lamb, who heads the Australasian Institute of Motorcycle Studies project, said ACC and minister Nick Smith were basing the proposed increases on poor facts.

ACC wants to increase annual motorcycle levies by hundreds of dollars, with owners of machines over 601cc facing a massive rise from $252 to $745.

ACC said riders were 16 per cent more likely than other road users to be involved in a crash.

It paid $62 million in motorcyclists' claims last year, while receiving only $12m in levies from users.

Submissions on the levy proposal close on November 10.

Lamb said analysis of Ministry of Transport crash data showed 67 per cent of motorcycle accidents involved other drivers, and 60 per cent of those crashes were caused by the other driver.

He said ACC also wrongly loaded higher levy increases on to motorcycles with engines over 600cc.

Lamb said 43 per cent of the 420 accidents – studied last year – between motorcycles and other vehicles in Auckland and Canterbury did not have the bike's engine size on the police accident report. The most common engine size in the remaining 57 per cent of crash reports was 250cc, which lent no weight to charging higher levies on bigger machines, he said.

Smith said even if cars caused all accidents between vehicles and motorcycles, the cost of other motorcycle accidents exceeded the proposed levy.

Lamb said last year there were 1475 motorcycle accidents in New Zealand and 50 deaths.

By comparison, 36 cyclists died in 1170 bicycle accidents but the cycling community paid no levies.

Lamb said ACC figures also included injury crashes involving unregistered, offroad motorcycles and farm bikes.

Tony
16th October 2009, 09:57
ACC said that in 2008/09 it paid more than $62 million for accidents involving motorcycles. It collected $12.3m in levies from motorcyclists in the same period.

Source http://www.3news.co.nz/ACC-Minister-says-talks-needed-over-motorcycle-increases/tabid/209/articleID/125671/Default.aspx?ArticleID=125671

Laxi
16th October 2009, 10:01
ACC said that in 2008/09 it paid more than $62 million for accidents involving motorcycles. It collected $12.3m in levies from motorcyclists in the same period.

Source http://www.3news.co.nz/ACC-Minister-says-talks-needed-over-motorcycle-increases/tabid/209/articleID/125671/Default.aspx?ArticleID=125671

Sports claim costs. Total $220,152

5 biggest contributors.

Rugby Union and rugby league $50,689,000
Motorcycling & Trail biking & motorcross $15,397,000
Netball $11,496,000
Cycling $10,447,000
Swimming $10,055,000

selective statistics from ACC I think, almost 15.5m just from the dirtys

Ixion
16th October 2009, 12:46
Here's some more interesting statistics. Source http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/2969254/Researcher-criticises-motorbike-levy-logic

Crash figures are being wrongly used to back large ACC levy increases for motorcyclists, a leading researcher says.

Lincoln University Associate Professor Charles Lamb, who heads the Australasian Institute of Motorcycle Studies project, said ACC and minister Nick Smith were basing the proposed increases on poor facts.

We ar ein contact with Prof Lamb. Look for a TVNZ interview with him tonight.

MSTRS
16th October 2009, 13:52
Much mileage can be made (by both sides) of the apparent rider fault in some 50-58% of ALL single/multi vehicle bike crashes combined. Some 62% of ALL bike crashes involve a car, and about 67% of those crashes are the car driver's fault.
Does anyone know what % of all multi vehicle car crashes involve a bike?
I ask this because, it may hopefully illustrate how car drivers contribute to our injury stats as compared to their own.

bones135
16th October 2009, 16:16
Not sure if this helps anyone or even if its been psoted but it was the best i could find in the limited spare time i had at wrok,lol
http://www.transport.govt.nz/research/crashstatisticsAugust2009/
Hope it helps

Laxi
16th October 2009, 18:44
I'd be interested to know what the motorcycle related economy is worth, also what ammount bikers bring in to charities through toy runs and the like. anybody know where to look for those stats?

Downloaded
17th October 2009, 01:32
1900 new claims for Soccer??? is one dangerous sport!!!

Ixion
18th October 2009, 15:49
BTW the 62 million figure is correct but very misleading.

That figure is for 2008. But it covers the cost of 3173 active claims. BUT - only 1336 of those claims were for accidents in 2008.

And the 12million , so much quoted ,was the collection for 2008 only.

And, because ACC is now a full funding model, the claims for previous years will have been fully funded in those years. That is, if a claim occurs in 2007, then in 2007 ACC will put aside enough to cover the cost of that claim in 2007 AND ALL SUBSEQUENT YEARS.

So, cost of claims prior to 2008 HAVE ALREADY BEEN PAID FOR. They don't have to be paid from the 2008 revenue.

Doing a bit of maths, based on th eavergae cost of those 3173 claims, and extending it across the 1336 NEW claims, gives 26 million as the cost of 2008 claims

And, if that revenue was what it should be , based on the number of REGISTERED bikes, it would be about 19 million. Not much of a short flal at all to 26 million

CherryB
21st October 2009, 21:23
Much mileage can be made (by both sides) of the apparent rider fault in some 50-58% of ALL single/multi vehicle bike crashes combined. Some 62% of ALL bike crashes involve a car, and about 67% of those crashes are the car driver's fault.
I ask this because, it may hopefully illustrate how car drivers contribute to our injury stats as compared to their own.

I'm planning to ask ACC the question - using diff cc ratings and asking about motorcycle license status, where the 'fault' came from - I suspect a lot come from the unlicensed (scooter) and learner/restricted, but they are applying the high 58% (primary or partial fault) figure to the average higher cost per injury for bigger bikes...

NighthawkNZ
21st October 2009, 21:30

We could put flat fee ACC levy on all vehicles bought including boats, trailers and caravans. Even if it is only $50.
Make all farm vehicles warrantable considering they are carry people about the farm.
Flat fee on WOF's (say $5 or $10) on all warrantable vehicles and trailers.
ie 2,919,151 vehicles (again not not counting trucks or the extra above etc and assuming that all these are once a year, but there will be a good percentage that are every 6 months.) 2,919,151 x $5 = $14,595,755 or $29,191,510 if it was $10
Small 1% levy on riding gear ie; helment, boots, gloves, jackets and trousers. Remember gloves and boots are replaced regularly.

Sports

Same as bike gear, small 1% levy on sports gear that helps with sports injuiries.
We could put flat fee ACC levy on all cycles bought.

These are all very easy to impliement

The harder idea's to impliement are;

There are idea's of putting levies on the driver or the license not the vehicle.

Naki Rat
23rd October 2009, 13:29
I've been crunching a few numbers in regard to money in/money out for ACC but I'm lacking one detail - NZ's annual petrol consumption.

ACC collected (http://www.acc.co.nz/about-acc/statistics/acc-injury-statistics-2008/8-motor-vehicle-account/IS0800143) $437 million in rego levies on cars, motorbikes and mopeds for the 2008 year. During the same year the Motor Vehicle Account paid out $341 million, so $100 million 'leakage' plus the income from other rego levies from other vehicle classes. But the petrol vehicles also contribute 9.9c (+GST)/litre at the pump so there is significantly more income from this source.

The missing detail I need is NZ's annual petrol use (preferably for 2008). Anybody out there got info on this?

Damon
23rd October 2009, 13:35
Whats the chance some one could put all these stats together on one page? rather than having to troll through multiple threads and hundreds of posts?

I may have time later in the weekend but if anyone else wants to help or do it would be cool, plus my domain is not exactly what you would call professional

Ixion
23rd October 2009, 17:24
I've been crunching a few numbers in regard to money in/money out for ACC but I'm lacking one detail - NZ's annual petrol consumption.

ACC collected (http://www.acc.co.nz/about-acc/statistics/acc-injury-statistics-2008/8-motor-vehicle-account/IS0800143) $437 million in rego levies on cars, motorbikes and mopeds for the 2008 year. During the same year the Motor Vehicle Account paid out $341 million, so $100 million 'leakage' plus the income from other rego levies from other vehicle classes. But the petrol vehicles also contribute 9.9c (+GST)/litre at the pump so there is significantly more income from this source.

The missing detail I need is NZ's annual petrol use (preferably for 2008). Anybody out there got info on this?

The leakage is a transfer to reserves to pay for future costs of that years claims (eg you get smashed up in 2008, but still getting ERC and medical expenses in 2009)

Naki Rat
23rd October 2009, 21:08
The leakage is a transfer to reserves to pay for future costs of that years claims (eg you get smashed up in 2008, but still getting ERC and medical expenses in 2009)

....Together with the ACC levy that we contribute with every litre of petrol :argh:

That being the case, where the hell are they sourcing the funds for the more than $281 million bill for sports injuries ? :mad:

Ixion
23rd October 2009, 21:35
....Together with the ACC levy that we contribute with every litre of petrol :argh:

That being the case, where the hell are they sourcing the funds for the more than $281 million bill for sports injuries ? :mad:

Sports injuries are covered by an appropriation from general taxation. Simple answer, from YOU. h

Max Headroom
23rd October 2009, 23:08
Based on the figure of 71,648 registered bikes for 2008 (and not including mopeds) at our current annual ACC rego contribution of $252, we generate $18,055,296 pa.

If we include the 9.9c fuel levy as well, and assume that the 71,648 registered bikes cover an annual average of 5,000km each at an average fuel consumption of 50mpg, we generate an additional $2,032,000 pa towards our ACC account. In other words, we motorcyclists contribute over $20M per year, and if we were required to be 100% self-funded it would only require an additional $100 for each motorcyclist per year, based on the current number of approximately 1400 new claims per year at an average of $19,500 per claim.

According to ACC's annual report, the ACC component of the annual rego fee would reduce by $12 for every cent the fuel levy was increased by. There's a maximum ceiling of 12.87c as determined by law, but that's a further option.

CherryB
30th October 2009, 22:19
The combined car & bike payout claims for 2008 was only $270,828,000.00
$270,828,000.00 / 2,681,461 = $101 per vehicle ACC is not broke

Where did you find this - can you PM me on it too...

p.dath
19th December 2009, 22:18

I'm trying to find a source to verify the $437 million in rego fees that was collected. Anyone have a reference for where this number came from?